AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 35 of 110
Author
westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/25 08:17:41 (permalink)
Went to Oktoberfest this weekend and picked up some sauerkraut balls from a booth named "Hey Hey." These were excellent, possibly the best I'd ever had. The problem is I have not heard of this place before and can't seem to find any info on it. Does anyone know if this is a Cincinnati place or are they out of town? I'd like to try some of their other offerings but their location is a mystery to me...
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/25 13:13:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by westsider12

Went to Oktoberfest this weekend and picked up some sauerkraut balls from a booth named "Hey Hey." These were excellent, possibly the best I'd ever had. The problem is I have not heard of this place before and can't seem to find any info on it. Does anyone know if this is a Cincinnati place or are they out of town? I'd like to try some of their other offerings but their location is a mystery to me...

I am going to post some of my pics from the Oktoberfest, but here is a pic of the HEY HEY booth~

As I can recall, Hey Hey has been a booth for a number of years. They are the ones that offer jalapeno sauerkraut balls {as well as regular ones}, cabbage & noodles and chicken & noodles.

To try to answer your question, there are a few booths at the Oktoberfest that are sponsered by organizations, instead of restaurants. I think this may be the case with Hey Hey. Just a theory, though.
westsider12
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/25 16:07:57 (permalink)
Darn...I guess I'll have to load up next year. Thanks for the info.
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

quote:

I am going to post some of my pics from the Oktoberfest, but here is a pic of the HEY HEY booth~

As I can recall, Hey Hey has been a booth for a number of years. They are the ones that offer jalapeno sauerkraut balls {as well as regular ones}, cabbage & noodles and chicken & noodles.

To try to answer your question, there are a few booths at the Oktoberfest that are sponsered by organizations, instead of restaurants. I think this may be the case with Hey Hey. Just a theory, though.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4561
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/25 16:34:27 (permalink)
quote:

Darn...I guess I'll have to load up next year. Thanks for the info.

I'd suggest emailing Polly Campbell. She may be able to give you the name of the organization, or perhaps even forward your email and a request for said recipe to said organization.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/26 12:51:09 (permalink)
I tried to Google Hey Hey {with Oktoberfest Zinzinnati}, and I tried to blow up my picture to read the small signs on the booth, with no luck whatsoever. SORRY!!

Other Cincinnati News~

A $16.00 hot dog in Cincinnati?
http://cinweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/A1/20070925/ENT01/709260336/

New Mt. Lookout dining, tapas in Walnut Hills, and Sonic in Eastgate is open~
http://cinweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/A1/20070925/ENT0105/709260307/

Via Vite will open on Fountain Square on Oct. 1~
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070920/BIZ01/709200327/1076

SteveB
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/26 16:05:57 (permalink)
I just returned to working downtown after many years in the suburbs, and I am rediscovering the restaraunt options. Two impressions so far:

1. Arnolds: still great ambiance...eating in courtyard on nice day. No longer covered, or perhaps it was somehow rolled back that day. I like idea of a one price menu (every thing $4.80). Food just Ok and portions were very small - even for under $5.00. I had a fried whiting - the fish tasted fine but the coarse corn breading was thick and little bit too far on the hard side of crisp. Side dish of pinto beans was very very good - nicely spiced with a good sweet oniony flavor. I would order a bowl of those beans as a main course (sorry co-workers). My dining companion ordered a tukey salad. It must have been OK since she ate it all, but it was a very small portion for an entree salad - not much more than a side salad really.

2. Orient - Loved it. They are a Chinese/Vietamese place. I love good soup and they have Pho! I ordered the fish version. The broth was very nice, shrimp flavorful and the fishballs were spectacular. There texture and taste seem to indicate they are all-fish, with perhaps just some starch to hold them together. Lots of rice noodles in soup, so I left quite full. I didn't even slurp too much on my shirt! Service was most gracious. Server was genuinely interested in me and even suggested how I could stir some chili paste into soup if I like spicy. Not the very best Pho I have ever had, but good Pho is better than 99% of the rest of the soup universe. (Best soup I have had in Cincinnati is at Mei (Japanese restaraunt in Montgomery) - I forget the name of the menu item, but it is a well loaded soba noodle soup served with an eggs that is stirred in at the table to thicken soup. YUM
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/26 16:08:56 (permalink)
HEY HEY

Is actually the

Hey-Hey Bar & Grill

German Village
361 E Whittier St
Columbus, OH 43206

Sue Gall is the original creator of these wonderful morsels at the Hey-Hey.

I called to verify if these were indeed the same, and was delighted to find out YES!

They have them daily, or call at least a day in advance for large quantities.

Sue has been written up in midwest living magazine for her sauerkraut balls, Itried to find the article but couldn't.

westsider12
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/26 16:58:31 (permalink)
My brother lives in Columbus, so we will be heading to German Village ASAP. Thanks for the info - I thought I was out of luck until next year.
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

HEY HEY

Is actually the

Hey-Hey Bar & Grill

German Village
361 E Whittier St
Columbus, OH 43206

Sue Gall is the original creator of these wonderful morsels at the Hey-Hey.

I called to verify if these were indeed the same, and was delighted to find out YES!

They have them daily, or call at least a day in advance for large quantities.

Sue has been written up in midwest living magazine for her sauerkraut balls, Itried to find the article but couldn't.

Bearcat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/27 08:27:08 (permalink)
I stopped at Matteo's Char Broil on Rte. 4 in Fairfield Wednesday evening. I live nearby, and had seen the place, but had never stopped in. To be real honest, I had assumed it to be another of the plethora of short-lived Mexican/Hispanic eateries that seem to open and close every couple of days in the neighborhood. Don't get me wrong, I like Mexican food, but around Fairfield, you can't reach down to pick up a penny off the ground without cracking your head on a Mexican restaurant.
Anyways, I drove by the front of Matteo's, to get a better look at the specials of the day which are written on a sign in their front window. I was pleasantly surprised to see an assortment of burgers, hot dogs, and the like on the board. What really caught my eye was the Wednesday special, a black and bleu burger.
I went inside and looked over their menu while chatting with Matt, the personable young owner of the place. He is a transplanted native of Rochester, N.Y. by way of the University of Dayton. Matt says he wants his menu to reflect his upstate New York heritage, and with an assortment of hot dogs and sloppy (a.k.a. garbage) plates, he seems to have succeeded.
I ordered a black and bleu burger, which is normally 1/4 pounds of beef, but an extra buck got me an extra patty. I also ordered an Italian sausage sandwich and a side of macaroni salad.
My carry-out order, which was prepared from scratch, took only moments to be served. The grillman was a blur, but an obviously competent blur.
The black and bleu was delicious. The blackened seasonings gave the juicy burger a terriffic zip. The Italian sausage sandwich was fine, but not in the same league as the burger.
I'll definitely put Matteo's in my regular rotation.
franklee
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/27 10:48:28 (permalink)
our weekly lunchbunch, coincidentally, had lunch yesterday (Wed) at Matteo's. I had the hotdog plate NY style .. two hotdogs, one white and one not, covered with ground beef... at least one of the hotdogs was nicely spiced... the potato salad was good... coleslaw decent... one of us had the prime rib sandwich (rochester ny area is famous for its prime rib)... it wasn't rochester quality, but it was good... onion rings were onion rings... other member of our group had a black n bleu burger.. both bob and she liked it a lot... i didn't taste it because i don't like bleu cheese... no bread w/ hotdog plate but came after i requested it. not great but a tad above average. I, too, am putting Matteo's charbroil on my to do again list. a different approach to food... tried to get a menu from the peruvian chicken place across the parking lot without success... will try that again someday... prob carryout... Javascript:insertsmilie('')
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/27 13:19:04 (permalink)
Coco's in Covington is closed:
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070927/NEWS0103/709270382/
SteveB
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/30 19:52:00 (permalink)
Friday was a beautiful day to eat outside, so I headed up Vine St. to try one of Tom’s renowned potpies. It was pretty good. The crust was somewhere between piecrust and a biscuit consistency, nicely browned with a buttery flavor. The filling ingredients were top quality. The sauce was nicely spiced with a bit of black pepper and paprika (?)…and very very very rich. While I would love to rave unequivocally about this pot pie – and I am biased toward any food efforts by locally owned non-chain restaurants – the sauce was a just a bit too rich for my taste - alfedo thick and rich. It might have worked ok if there was just a bit of sauce, but the ratio of sauce to filling was high, so it came across as an ultra thick and rich cream soup with a bit of chicken and vegetable, vs. a chicken pie with the ingredients enhanced by a sauce. Still a good lunch, though, and I will be back. I’ll try the vegi pie next time. I found a nice place by the library to sit outside and eat. I would love to hear from other downtown lunchers what some favorite places are for outdoor eating.

Saturday night I had a dessert that goes into my Cincinnati dessert hall of fame. The panna cotta at Vincenzo’s. I knew I was on the right track when I ordered it and the waiter smiled and said that it is prepared by the chef’s wife and it is her specialty. I won’t even try to describe it. Served with a cup of fresh strong coffee, it was the highlight of a fine dinner.
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/08 12:42:01 (permalink)
Looks like the rail car sitting outside of BBQ Revue is leaving town (temporarily) and will be coming back as a restaurant in it's own right.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=901d7713-06db-479e-8621-276a46dc18b1
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/09 23:28:26 (permalink)
A little good news to go with lots of bad news....

Rise and Shine, the Thai/breakfast/diner joint that had been closed for months, reopened October 1st

Taco Casa's well-hidden but beloved downtown location closed at the end of September. I will really miss their excellent tacos and burrito boats. The other locations (Hyde Park, Landen, and TriCounty) remain open.

It looks like the privately owned carryout eatery inside the Atrium building has been converted to a Subway. About time....heck, the closest Subway was over a block away, and lord knows you need at least 1 Subway location on every block. *sheesh*. Subway count downtown now at a half-dozen or so and rising.....

Yet another Mythos location will open in the former Atlanta Bread company at 4th and Walnut. With a location now at 4th and Vine, there are now 4 Mythos locations within a 2-3 block span....mediocre gyros for everyone! Edit 10/11: according to the[url='http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/foodie/']Cinti Foodie blog[/url], this larger space will host a party room and a greatly expanded menu - ie not just mediocre gyros. Worth checking into. The owner hopes to be open there by Nov 15. The piece in the blog also indicates that the owner closed his Newport location, which I had thought was fairly popular and busy.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1184
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/10 08:19:38 (permalink)
Here's a request for suggestions:

Our 14-year-old son, Ian, is going to spend the night with his grandmother after mass Saturday as a prequel to helping his grandfather gather / stack firewood Sunday. They're feeding him; I think they're gonna lose on the deal.

So for the first time in eons, Vickie and I are on our own for an entire evening. We'd like to go out to dinner, somewhere a "cut above" our usual haunts -- Rincon Mexicano, Ban Thai, etc., in the Eastgate area, or Buca di Beppo at Rookwood.

Prefer east side of town, maybe Mt. Lookout / Oakley / Hyde Pahk. We're not "dress up" people, but we want to avoid a Jeans / t-shirt kind of place. This is a rare opportunity and we want to have an outstanding dinner without feeling rushed or squeezed in.

No chains, right Tom?
Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/10 08:42:23 (permalink)
Nectar
Bella Luna
RED
Boca
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/10 09:39:29 (permalink)
Unfortunately, with a 4 and 6 year old, I rarely get out for this kind of evening, but I will say that I have heard a LOT of good about

http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/110300_parkers.html

and have always wanted to eat there.

I regularly hear rave reviews of the Anderson location of El Coyote as well, but in two dinners there have been thoroughly disappointed.

I would bet you'd do well at the Golden Lamb as well, though obviously thats a bit of a drive.

No, none of these are in the requested neighborhoods, sorry.....best I could do
Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/10 10:23:50 (permalink)
I recommended places specifically in Oakley, Hyde Park, and Mt. Lookout as requested.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/10 10:30:35 (permalink)
Yeah, those are all high-end places that I'd love to try, if I ever get time with just me and the wife to go out.....are you sure these are all casual re: dress code?
jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/10 11:08:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Yeah, those are all high-end places that I'd love to try, if I ever get time with just me and the wife to go out.....are you sure these are all casual re: dress code?

Looks like casual enough; we will be coming from Mass, so nice pants, nice shoes, etc. . . . I cleans up real good.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/10 13:08:13 (permalink)
Right after Mass, Red and Boca, I know for sure, will not be open, unless you get out of Mass @5:00pm.

You did say dinner, though.

Open earlier than 5:00pm (and casual):

Teller's http://www.tellersofhydepark.com/

Indigo http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/Dining/detail.asp?RestID=869

Vineyard Cafe and Wineroom http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/Dining/detail.asp?RestID=1868

Kona Bistro http://www.konabistro.com/

EDITTED TO SAY you could be going to Sat. Evening Mass, so my 5pm point would be moot, but my recs are still good ones!!
jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/10 14:19:55 (permalink)
quote:

Right after Mass, Red and Boca, I know for sure, will not be open, unless you get out of Mass @5:00pm.

You did say dinner, though.

Open earlier than 5:00pm (and casual):

Teller's http://www.tellersofhydepark.com/

Indigo http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/Dining/detail.asp?RestID=869

Vineyard Cafe and Wineroom http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/Dining/detail.asp?RestID=1868

Kona Bistro http://www.konabistro.com/

EDITTED TO SAY you could be going to Sat. Evening Mass, so my 5pm point would be moot, but my recs are still good ones!!

Yeah, we're at St. Veronica in Mt. Carmel; our Saturday vigil mass is at 4 p.m., but we've got to drive Himself to New Richmond to the family's farmland before dinner.

So far so good. I'm enjoying your recommendations.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 529
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/11 16:02:31 (permalink)
AJ's Roadhouse is right along the way. Just east of River Downs on U.S> 52.

Excellent steak, good prices.

http://www.restaurant.com/microsite.asp?rid=327525&rpid=3406
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 247
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/12 07:19:01 (permalink)
Indigo is a bit too casual; I wouldn't consider the atmosphere, menu, or prices to be a "cut above."

I have always enjoyed Teller's, although my opinion may be slightly biased since that's where my wife and I had a late dinner after I proposed to her. Moderate prices, great appetizers (especially the stag fries) and beer selection. If you go, try to sit in the vault, since the "lobby" area can get a bit loud.

One benefit of Hyde Park would be the ability to walk around/relax in the square afterwards. There is also the option of Graeter's for dessert, but you will most certainly feel rushed and squeezed in at that location, which is always a zoo in the evenings.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/13 18:42:59 (permalink)
After getting poor service and vastly oversalted food in each of three trips to the Eastgate Sonic, I am done with the place....which is sad, as the next closest Sonic is another 10 miles further away.

If another one opens nearby - the fella who came on claiming to represent them said there'd be 40 in Cincinnati - I'll give it a try.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 529
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/14 09:32:38 (permalink)
Sorry about the service, TJ.

The food's been fine for us -- when they've gotten it right -- but I agree about the service (at least in the drive-thru).

I can't eat onions. At all. So 99 times out of 100, I will order a burger a) plain, or b) without onions. Not real tough, right?

Went through the drive-thru, ordered a burger plain (accenting the word plain over the loudspeaker, then it was verified when read back to me). Got to work, it had everything, and I had to scrape everything off, and even then the burger had onion flavor, which is not cool.

Last week, I tried it again with that Bacon Cheesesteak thingie. I order without onions. Girl reads it back without mentioning the onions, so I mention no onions again. She said she had it. Guess what I get on my sandwich? So this time I caught it, but I still had to pull over, park, flag someone down, and have it re-made. It was good when I finally got it, though.

But the gf and I have done the carside thing twice and the orders have been fine. Just watch that drive-thru.

I always think about things like that and laugh when people say minimum wage should be higher. $7 an hour is way too generous for people that can't follow basic instructions.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/15 22:33:03 (permalink)
Went to the Bombay Oven tonight {the old Mayura}. Apparently, they just opened Friday night.

I wasn't all that hungry. I just went with a friend who wanted Indian and a companion.

She got the vegetarian sampler meal {choice of 2 veggie dishes with rice, poori, papadum, raita and a dessert - $13.95}. She claimed it was better than Mayura. I tried the raita, and found it much better than others in Clifton.

I had veggie Pakoras, and onion fritter thing and garlic naan. The garlic naan was the best I've had in a long time. I wasn't a huge fan of their tomato/onion chutney, though.

Our server tried really hard to make us feel at home.

I would say so far, so good!!
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/17 13:39:03 (permalink)
According to the Cincinnati.Com Foodie Blog, Rondo's is closing:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/foodie/2007/10/ron-wise-moving-rondos-for-sale.asp#comments
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/18 13:32:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NCSUBrew

I think there is a new diner/lunch place @ 9th & Sycamore: ALL RISE. Haven't been, but it's around the corner from me, so I'll try it soon. Esp. since my breakfast staple "Rise & Shine" seems to be no more. The "All Rise" sign says open for breakfast & lunch and I assume it's weekdays only.

NC, I hope you're still reading this thread.

I have been to All Rise about a dozen times, and have discovered that their fries - particulary when requested well done - are perhaps the best I have had IN MY LIFE. Skin on, freshly made, out-freakin-standing. Thank you for bringing this place to my attention.

I'm still trying to figure out a good pairing with the fries. The 4.95 lunch special on wednesday gets you two sides (fries is a choice) and a 8 oz "black and blue" burger which they've been willing to convert on request to a american cheeseburger, but the patty while tasty starts as a frozen puck. The smaller 4oz burger will flood back memories of your high school cafeteria, and I dont mean in any good way. Even with the grilled onions, which is a nice freebie. Still, there's a good variety of sandwiches on the menu for such a small place, so plenty to try. But this place is worth a special stop for the fries alone, and the ever-present owner is still tweaking her menu for best results.

quote:
Originally posted by NCSUBrew

For the record, I did like R & S: most of the food was 'ok', but I don't eat eggs, so I liked getting the spicy shrimp fried rice for breakfast . . . not a lot of places let you do that! :) My husband would swear the "7 a.m." on their menu was the meatiest breakfast plate in town. We're from the south - not a lot of places here serve the true country (cured) ham. Oh well, irrelevant since they are apparently closed.

Rise and Shine is open again as of October 1st :-)
westsider12
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/10/19 08:05:41 (permalink)
This is a real loss for the west side. My wife and I ate there in the summer and it was fantastic - it felt like we were having dinner at a friend's house vs a restaurant. The atmosphere was tremendous. There are just a handful of independent restaurants worth the while on the west side; the chains just overpower everything else.
quote:

According to the Cincinnati.Com Foodie Blog, Rondo's is closing:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/foodie/2007/10/ron-wise-moving-rondos-for-sale.asp#comments
Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 35 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1