AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 41 of 110
Author
tpd
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/27 07:38:47 (permalink)
While we're on message board issues, as a member of one of the longest threads on this site, I would really like to have my new post emails take me right to the post in question. Most other forums I'm on have a "new post" link in each email message that takes you to the last unread post. I think it's lame to get a notice of a new post that takes me to the first page of the thread. I have asked the webmaster for this feature and didn't even receive the courtesy of a response which really ticks me off being a paying Roadfood Insider. Maybe if all of us on this very long thread ask for the very, very basic forum feature we might make some progress.

Heading to New Orleans tomorrow for 72 hours of eating-

TPD
justtable
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/27 09:17:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tpd

While we're on message board issues, as a member of one of the longest threads on this site, I would really like to have my new post emails take me right to the post in question. Most other forums I'm on have a "new post" link in each email message that takes you to the last unread post. I think it's lame to get a notice of a new post that takes me to the first page of the thread. I have asked the webmaster for this feature and didn't even receive the courtesy of a response which really ticks me off being a paying Roadfood Insider. Maybe if all of us on this very long thread ask for the very, very basic forum feature we might make some progress.

Heading to New Orleans tomorrow for 72 hours of eating-

TPD

As a new member I have been amazed that the emails take you to the first post instead of the most current....seems it would be an easy fix....definately annoying
franklee
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/29 04:08:35 (permalink)
an exception to every rule? probably, esp if it's the lunchbunch breaking it's "once should be enough" standard to return to the scene of the crime.... New Orleans to Go on Kemper Road. What a gastronomic pleasure palace. oyster poboy superb... hot sausage poboy not far behind... sausage jambalaya full flavored begging for more... shrimp jambalaya.. very good, but not a 10. Only Bob and I today... Willie was taste testing the New York thruway.... they actually made clam and shrimp chowder for us even though they had not intended to.. until we pleaded our case of sooo looking forward to it on a thursday (used to be thursday regular.. no more, however)... i see i sound like i'm simpering with sounds of delight... true story... both bob and i like it so much we'e thinking about including New Orleans to Go on non lunchbunch day sorties in future... the bread is much improved... somehow the fully dressed seems more fully dressed than it used to.... we went because we knew we'd enjoy lunch... like Emeril, however, to our delight they had kicked it up a notch
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/29 10:25:19 (permalink)
Went to Bella Luna on the east side last night

Not a good experience.

I think they have a identity crisis over there. There are of course plenty of joints tht will charge you 15 bucks for a basic spaghetti and meatball dinner.....and Bella Luna is on of them......but to justify that price, at least one (preferably all three) of the following should be true

1) the food quality should be superb
2) The portion should be large
3) the ambience should be classy\highbrow

Unfortunately, none of the above are true at Bella Luna.

I actually salute them for their portion size. In this day and age where a single dinner is sufficient to feed two adults, the portion size is right about right, maybe even a tad bit on the small side. Most places, I have no room for dessert - but here, plenty. A big eater might consider the dinner portion sizes to be 'appetizers'. Again - I like this, but the prices should at least aprtially reflect the smaller portions.

The quality was good in some ways, not so good in others. The salad was decent, but tiny. Think along the liens of a three year old told to grab a handful of salad mix and drop it on the plate. The greens were good quality, but simple - no accompnying/enhancing veggies, no croutons unless you ask for them, etc etc. The in-house made red wine vinegrette was the highlight. My daughter's child's spaghetti had a layer of water at the bottom that rose to half the level of the bowl, like they had not bothered to drain it at all. The bolognese sauce they served with it was practically a puree, looking more like cincinnati style chili than spaghetti sauce. Only 4.99, but not nearly worth even that. My lobster ravioli lacked any kind of distinctive flavor, and the "lobster" sauce was essentially a flavored water.

Another highbrow touch at most classic italian places is freshly grated parm or romano. Here. you get a cup of coarse pregrated stuff brought out to you. It had the look and feel of havign been grated days earlier and left uncovered in the fridge. The taste confirmed this, as the cheese had absorbed other tastes from whatever refrigeration unit it had been stored in. Not good at all.

It's nice that they have a kid's menu, but the waitress tells me they don't usually have milk as a beverage option? The options she offered were caffeine-ated soft drinks plus orange or pineapple juice. Any place that has a kids menu should IMHO ensure that the basic non-caffeinated kid's beverage choices are also available.

Finally, the decor. A clash of mismatched colors (mostly dark reds) and blinking christmas lights. I was thinking this was suitable for a place serving me a 7 dollar plate, but not when I was paying 15-25 a plate.

So in my mind, this is a 6 to 9 dollar a plate kinda place trying to pass itself off as fine\upscale dining, which is most certainly is not. Too bad, because it is just two miles from my house, is privately owned, and I am still looking for the default family dining joint in the neighborhood. Right now, unfortunately, it's Carrabba's, a chain......:-(
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/02/29 11:14:46 (permalink)
brought home a hotdog from Jungle Jim's... forget the name of the franchise which is being "given" to veterans.. or some such... hotdogs on pretzel bread.. hotdogson pretzel bread which is why i brought one.. actually two.. home. My friend ate one last night with some of New Orleans to GO's clam and shrimp chowder... liked it... i had the other hotdog for lunch.. perhaps the best hotdog i've ever eaten... (think what it would have been with a Nathan's)... the pretzel bun is an experience.. only thing is the bread is so heavy (a good thing) that half a hot dog will be plenty next time... when i'm not making a pig of myself... the hotdog stand inside Jungle jim's (route 4, fairfield)... is near the Starbuck's stand...
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/01 08:49:06 (permalink)
Three friends and I had dinner at Seny at DeSalle's Corner in Walnut Hills Tuesday evening. We arrived around 5:30 and there were a couple of other customers at tables. By 6:30, the place was packed which, I think, is pretty good for a Tuesday evening.

The waiter started us out with a small glass of sangria, on the house. Sangria is a little too sweet for me although it can be refreshing on a summer evening. Treating us to a taste was a nice touch.

Seny is a tappas restaurant which serves a variety of hot or cold appetizer-sized dishes. On Tuesday, they also had a couple of full entrees including a sailfish selection which the waiter was promoting and traditional paella which must be ordered by two people and takes 30 minutes to make.

My friends and I decided to order from the tappas menu two items apiece and then share them. The waiter accomodated us by bringing a lot of small dishes so we could share. We ordered:

$ 12 Roasted scallops with pimientos, green risotto chips, and honey-thyme caramel;
$ 10 Prince Edward Island mussels steamed in cava with chorizo and fresh herbs;
$ 7 Champinones; mushrooms stewed in oil with garlic and parsley;
$ 10 Gambas al Ajillo; shrimp sautéed in garlic, crushed pepper, and olive oil;
$ 9 Calamares; Andalusian style calamari strips with lemon;
$ 6 Croquettas; potato and herb croquettes on potato cream;
$13 tart of Marinated and braised belly of pork with dried cherry jus;
$ 5.50 Caldo Gallego; Galician pork, white bean, and vegetable stew

We split a bottle of a Tempranillo (Spanish red similar to a cabernet). Crusty bread and olive oil were included.

Most of the dishes were generous enough to be shared. There were 3 scallops but they were large enough to be split among us. The sauteed shrimp, scallops, and mushroom selections were outstanding...savory and full of flavor. The calamari lovers (which doesn't include me) thought the same of that dish. They insisted I try it, which I did, and I was surprised to find that the meat wasn't rubbery. The breading was light and tasty, not at all greasy, and the squid was only slightly chewy. I thought the mussels were very fresh and very good but not outstanding. The pork and white bean stew, similar to cassoulet, was also very tasty. One of my friends really liked the braised pork belly tart but I thought it was too fatty and just alright. The potato croquettes were pretty bland and were the only real disappointment.

For dessert, we each had a dish described as a flan-like custard but it really was more like creme brulee with a nice orange/vanilla flavor. The waiter also touted their avocado ice cream. This sounded very appealing and I'll probably order it the next time around.

By the end of the meal, we were all sufficiently full. We split the bill four ways and the individual share was around $40, including the tax, tip, and the bottle of wine.

The atmosphere is appealing, "Goya-inspired" (to quote Polly Campbell) blacks and reds. We had no difficulty hearing one another without raising our voices.

The waiter told us that they will be serving lunch on a terrace out front when the weather warms up. For some reason, he told us we would be able to see the terrace when "you drive by". I thought "drive by" was an unfortunate choice of words given the neighborhood. Actually, I hope this neighborhood revives. I have lived near this area for two different periods of my life and loved the convenient proximity to Eden Park, Mt. Adams, Hyde Park, and Downtown. In the '70s and early '80s, it was comfortable to get carry-out from some good 'Q places in Avondale and Evanston. We loved to take long walks all around the area when the weather was nice. That changed by the early '90s when things became pretty dicey. However, Seny and the coffee shop nextdoor "Mocha" seem to be doing well and attracting a more upscale clientele.

Here's a link to Seny's website:

http://www.senycincy.com/index.asp

Sorry if this was too long!

Sandy

donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/01 13:49:02 (permalink)
Comments from the northern end of the Cincinnati area...

Roc-A-Fellas: I stumbled onto Roc-a-fellas after reading a review by the Leadbelly Boys. What I can say is that their pizza was excellent when they were located in the diner building on Far Hills Ave. near the Esther Price candy store. I ate at their new location in January in the former Sipp's Cafe and they seem to have lost all of the divey ambiance of the old shop. The decor absolutely doesn't work for them. And the service was really off kilter. The old place had a sort of tag team system where everyone behind the counter waited on customers, and was very friendly, and the new place seems too formal for a pizza joint like Roc-a-fellas. Bigger is not better in this instance and the jury is still out on this new location.

The BEST pizza I have had in the Dayton area consistently in recent times is Ron's. Ron's had a location in Centerville, which closed about 5 years ago, which my wife and I found one Sunday afternoon when the Flying Pizza next door was closed. Since then we have gotten pizzas from Ron's on West Central Ave. in Springboro and it's fantastic, but their hours are very irregular. (It's a chewy thin crust pizza that is very heavy on the ingredients.)

Regarding "small plate" restaurants, I would like to know what any of you think of Wild Bill's in Lebanon. My wife and I tried it a short time after they re-opened and we never went back. IMO they try too hard for uniqueness at the expense of solid portions, and the types of entrees seem fairly pretentious. I had a small plate of the bison (or was it buffalo) and it was very chewy and not very good. I had a serving of the "ancho mashed potatoes" and they were absolutely nothing special. What I'm wondering is what is really good there now. They seem to have driven out casual diners with the elimination of all fried foods - we really enjoyed the pickle spears. It's the type of place that wouldn't appeal to the typical blue collar person in Lebanon, and IMO it's not worth a drive from another town, given what we had there. But tell me what makes you go back there.

Oh... a very (consistently) good seafood restaurant is Sweeney's in Centerville. However, the last time we ate there during Lent a couple of years ago, they changed their menu to something approaching Bill Knapp's but even more boring. Beware! I HIGHLY recommend their seasoned spinach, the blackened flounder, and the shrinp scampi. A close second is Mitchell's Seafood in West Chester, but we prefer Sweeney's for its environment - we like to sit next to the fish tanks if we can.
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/01 14:09:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by donw9876

Comments from the northern end of the Cincinnati area...

Roc-A-Fellas: I stumbled onto Roc-a-fellas after reading a review by the Leadbelly Boys. What I can say is that their pizza was excellent when they were located in the diner building on Far Hills Ave. near the Esther Price candy store. I ate at their new location in January in the former Sipp's Cafe and they seem to have lost all of the divey ambiance of the old shop. The decor absolutely doesn't work for them. And the service was really off kilter. The old place had a sort of tag team system where everyone behind the counter waited on customers, and was very friendly, and the new place seems too formal for a pizza joint like Roc-a-fellas. Bigger is not better in this instance and the jury is still out on this new location.

The BEST pizza I have had in the Dayton area consistently in recent times is Ron's. Ron's had a location in Centerville, which closed about 5 years ago, which my wife and I found one Sunday afternoon when the Flying Pizza next door was closed. Since then we have gotten pizzas from Ron's on West Central Ave. in Springboro and it's fantastic, but their hours are very irregular. (It's a chewy thin crust pizza that is very heavy on the ingredients.)

Regarding "small plate" restaurants, I would like to know what any of you think of Wild Bill's in Lebanon. My wife and I tried it a short time after they re-opened and we never went back. IMO they try too hard for uniqueness at the expense of solid portions, and the types of entrees seem fairly pretentious. I had a small plate of the bison (or was it buffalo) and it was very chewy and not very good. I had a serving of the "ancho mashed potatoes" and they were absolutely nothing special. What I'm wondering is what is really good there now. They seem to have driven out casual diners with the elimination of all fried foods - we really enjoyed the pickle spears. It's the type of place that wouldn't appeal to the typical blue collar person in Lebanon, and IMO it's not worth a drive from another town, given what we had there. But tell me what makes you go back there.

Oh... a very (consistently) good seafood restaurant is Sweeney's in Centerville. However, the last time we ate there during Lent a couple of years ago, they changed their menu to something approaching Bill Knapp's but even more boring. Beware! I HIGHLY recommend their seasoned spinach, the blackened flounder, and the shrinp scampi. A close second is Mitchell's Seafood in West Chester, but we prefer Sweeney's for its environment - we like to sit next to the fish tanks if we can.

Roch-A-Fellas has good pizza but it seems to be getting worse lately. I think that The Flying Pizza is far better. When I lived in Springboro I tried Rons and didnt care for it at all.
Sweeneys is always consistantly good and the staff is always very nice. Have you ever tried Thai 9?...Russ

Anyone going to the Home and Garden show tommorow at the Cincy convention center this weekend?
...Russ
donw9876
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/01 14:14:33 (permalink)
Flying Pizza and Ron's are two different ideas of what pizza is all about. Ron's is almost like a "home cooking" version of a mass market thin crust like Donato's. Ron's reminds me of Cassano's pizza in their heyday in the 1960s, before they expanded the chain outside of Dayton. The crust is very thin, hard and chewy and it's almost seared on the bottom. Cassano's had this kind of crust perfected in the old days - the dough would form air bubbles under the sauce. And lots of salt baked into the crust (I assume to assist sliding on a peel.)

I'll have to try Roc-a-Fella's, by the slice so I don't get too heavily invested. I had a sub when I tried the new location. It was OK, nothing special.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/01 16:16:43 (permalink)
Obviously, you fellas are welcome to continue posting as you like, but I doubt too many folks come regularly from Dayton to Cincinnati to eat, and vice versa - the distance is enough that it doesn't happen frequently, if at all. I know that I've lived in Cincinnati since '73 and only driven to Dayton once for a meal

How about opening a thread on Good Eats in Dayton?
Russ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/01 16:21:38 (permalink)
Thats too bad TJ I go back and forth all the time. Cincinnati has some great places to eat. Where do you think we should draw the line for Cincinnati at Springboro?...Russ
donw9876
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/01 17:21:36 (permalink)
I was following the lead of the posting on the Centerville Roc-a-fellas. Point taken about a Dayton thread. I'll have to collect my thoughts about good/ok/bad places in Dayton and come up with a leading post.

I have always assumed that Lebanon is considered within the Cincinnati "Van Allen belt" of influence.
Alco251
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/01 23:47:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Obviously, you fellas are welcome to continue posting as you like, but I doubt too many folks come regularly from Dayton to Cincinnati to eat, and vice versa - the distance is enough that it doesn't happen frequently, if at all. I know that I've lived in Cincinnati since '73 and only driven to Dayton once for a meal

How about opening a thread on Good Eats in Dayton?

TJ, you may have a bit of east side bias there. Cincinnati and Dayton have nearly grown into one giant mess, especially for residents of Butler and Warren Counties. I have recently moved to Woodlawn from Erlanger and have a whole new world to explore to the north. I have driven to West Carrollton for dinner, does that count?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/02 13:05:28 (permalink)
Heh, I am not doubting that some of you do indeed drive the distance more than I, particularly those of you who post. On the other hand, I don't think MOST folks would do so. Most folks outside this board who hear I drove to Chicago for a sandwich think I am crazy, for example

I have no suggestion as to where the line of demarcation might fall....I don't think you can set one for everyone, in any case.....the only authority here as to what thread where one posts is the poster him\herself.

I'm just sayin' that I believe most folks don't consider Dayton part of greater Cincinnati, is all. Heck, I'd even go so far to say the same of Middletown. If such a thread was started, and someone had something to post that was in Springboro, that'd be up to the poster to decide what thread to post in.

All I am really saying here is that it might be better to separate that content so that someone looking for info in Dayton can find it more easily than the occasional submissions scattered about in this thread. Think of it like this: If someone where going to be in Dayton on business, and was looking for good eats there, would they (in general) a) be considering Cincinnati for daily meals, and/or b) prefer reading through a Dayton-only thread rather than finding tidbits here and there in this thread? Keep in mind that this is the "Where Should I Eat?" forum, which has at it's overall intent providing a means for travelers to find goodfood/roadfood wherever they travel through or to.

Bottom line though....anyone can post anything here....I am obviously not an admin or mod or anything like that, I was only suggesting the Dayton content might be more useful to the overall readership if kept seperate. Additionally, those who live between or travel between regularly could certain keep tabs on both threads, aye?
Russ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/02 16:09:23 (permalink)
I live in Xenia Oh and just went to Cincy for the Home and Garden Show. Stopped at Zip's Cafe for Burgers, Chili, French fries, and Onion Rings with friends. As usual it was packed with people standing in wait. Train was running and the Burgers were excellent as usual. Had I never read this thread I never would have traveled to or known about the place. http://www.zipscafe.com/
Definatly worth the drive...Russ

By the way TJ I lived in Washington TWP between Springboro and Centerville for 7 years and was unable to get the Dayton Daily News delivered to my house but I could get the Cincinnati Inquirer.
brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/02 16:14:52 (permalink)
Might as well make the dividing line at Monroe. After living in Middletown for 6 years I was unable to think of one place to recommend.. East on 122 there is a great Mom and Pop diner in Hunter.
britt
Russ Jackson
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/02 16:24:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by brittneal

Might as well make the dividing line at Monroe. After living in Middletown for 6 years I was unable to think of one place to recommend.. East on 122 there is a great Mom and Pop diner in Hunter.
britt

I think that place is called Mom's. It has dollar bills all over the walls and ceiling. Good pies also and not a bad burger...Russ
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/02 17:18:04 (permalink)
I thought the Brandywine Inn in Monroe was supposed to be quite good.....

http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/021304_brandywine.html

In Middletown, I have always heard good about Schiaviones and Capozzi's
westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/03 12:20:05 (permalink)
I was enjoying a lovely warm day (finally) today and saw that the old Dink's Hot Dogs on Vine has reopened as Balboa's Philly Cheesesteak and pizza. It looked like a cheesesteak special was 5.99. They also said they will have tastykakes (http://www.tastykake.com/). I've not had one before but it sounds like a Philly tradition. I will try and get over there this week for a sampling of the fare.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/03 13:11:10 (permalink)
I too was out enjoying the (rather sudden) pleasant Cincinnati weather, and also walked by Dinks (on the way back from Tom's with another excellent pot pie) to confirm the bad news about Dinks from earlier in this thread. Since Balboa's had the look of a franchise, I googled for it, and it looks like the owner is starting his own franchise

http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/othercities/cincinnati/stories/2008/02/11/story11.html?b=1202706000%5E1588335

The sign on the door claims they use genuine Amoroso rolls. For that alone, it's worth a try, and I will get there some time this week. I am a little concerned about the lack of focus, though - pizza and cheesesteaks are two very different things to prepare, requiring different equipment and know-how to execute well. Westsider, you and I should do lunch there.

I am heartened that the article indicates that Dink's owner wasn't forced out, but rather that he got out when he wanted to. I wish him well, he's a good fellow.

In other downtown-ish news

* the Oceanaire at the corner of 6th and Walnut looks to be right on schedule, and I would be surprised if they are not open within the next two weeks

* Tom's Pot Pies had a good winter, with catering business picking up

* Rise N Shine is still experiencing a "water main break"
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 249
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/03 13:49:13 (permalink)
I found a "2 for $20" review (with pictures) of Balboa's on an Indianapolis site:

http://www.indy.com/posts/5392

Sounds like they also offer Cheez Wiz, like a "true" Philly cheesesteak should.
justtable
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/03 15:05:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by westsider12

They also said they will have tastykakes (http://www.tastykake.com/). I've not had one before but it sounds like a Philly tradition.

For those Cincinnatians who have not tried a Tasty Kake, it is a tru Philly, eastern Penn tradition. Tasty kakes are made there and have a super strong following snubbing the likes of Hostess and Drakes. The snack kakes are good, but much more messy than their counterparts. When you eat one, iciing stuck to the packaging is the norm. Not that it seems to bother their fans, but in other markets, I see their products lying on shelves as newbies figure they have stumbled on somthing defective. check out the kandy kakes they are awsome.

Here is a great example of what I was saying about packaging and icing, in one of their Butterscotch Krimpets

westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/03 15:24:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I too was out enjoying the (rather sudden) pleasant Cincinnati weather, and also walked by Dinks (on the way back from Tom's with another excellent pot pie) to confirm the bad news about Dinks from earlier in this thread. Since Balboa's had the look of a franchise, I googled for it, and it looks like the owner is starting his own franchise

http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/othercities/cincinnati/stories/2008/02/11/story11.html?b=1202706000%5E1588335

The sign on the door claims they use genuine Amoroso rolls. For that alone, it's worth a try, and I will get there some time this week. I am a little concerned about the lack of focus, though - pizza and cheesesteaks are two very different things to prepare, requiring different equipment and know-how to execute well. Westsider, you and I should do lunch there.

I am heartened that the article indicates that Dink's owner wasn't forced out, but rather that he got out when he wanted to. I wish him well, he's a good fellow.

In other downtown-ish news

* the Oceanaire at the corner of 6th and Walnut looks to be right on schedule, and I would be surprised if they are not open within the next two weeks

* Tom's Pot Pies had a good winter, with catering business picking up

* Rise N Shine is still experiencing a "water main break"

I'll bring my A-game to lunch whenever you'd like.
rpglegal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/04 10:05:54 (permalink)
First time poster here... but a rabid reader of this thread, and I thank those who recommended Honey in Northside. We celebrated my foodie daughter's 18th birthday there and were much impressed... with food, atmosphere, serving the works.

Anyway... living in the Blue Ash area, I have to admit I was embarrassed that I had not been to Cheezeburgers.. the restaurant attached to Skips' on Montgomery... So in January I decided to make a stop... and have now been back 4 times The crew that works there have a great time providing a terrific burger and the onion straws are delicious. Not a bad price point either!

And have made 3 visits to Incahoots in Blue Ash since they opened. Really like this place, but the parking stinks. No way you can do this place on a Friday evening, but on Saturday afternoon, and week nights its a lovely location, and my biggest compliment.. portion sizes that are about perfect! Really like their fish sandwich and the salad with the pasta noodles in it. The champagne pear salad dressing is addicting. You can go in and get dinner and still have room to split a wonderful dessert. They don't do their cheesecake in house, but whoever they get it from... it's delightful, and the Creme Carmel is sinful.

Lastly... we visited the new BJ's at Tri-County during their pre-opening fund raising event. Sat at the bar and was entertained by a great Bar crew. Tried the beer sampler (they brew their own...) and several were wonderful.. a few I took a pass on. Also tried their homemade rootbeer which was a definitely thumbs up... if your a root beer lover. Food was very good.. portions were huge! Can you say cheesecake factory???? Tried to make a trip back last Friday night... at 7 pm they had a 2 hour wait! So we hopped back in the car and headed up Rt. 4 to stop in at Sabor Peruano (peruvian)

I had lunch in their old restaurant and wanted to try the new location. Same menu... just a larger space. It is definitely different... and I'm still not sure what I think? On the appetizer menu try Huancaina which is their version of potato salad. It is addicting!... but what about my steak dinner? Think layers... Rice, french fries, fried banana's, steak, fried eggs... ???? Yup... the steak has a lot of seasoning and is pounded flat. They use alot of cilantro in their cooking, and I'm not a fan, so that may be what turned me off. Dinner companion had Fried fish with onions and tomatoes. Fish was very fishy! But the onions and tomatoes were delicious over rice..... Prices are a little higher than you might expect.
That's all for now!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/04 11:52:45 (permalink)
Welcome to the thread, rpglegal!

Thanks for the info
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/05 01:12:10 (permalink)
Well, it's been so long that I feel like a first timer.
Thought I'd mention a new place I tried this past Saturday. The Stone Oven Pizzeria in Hebron, just off of I-275. http://www.stoneovenpizza.net/
My wife had a dinner for the girls she went to high school with, so I talked my parents into giving this place a try with me. It's an unassuming little place in a strip mall, but I was impressed enough to give it another try. I knew what I wanted to try as soon as I looked at the menu; the Reuben pizza. Dad and I were going to split one, but they were out of one of the ingredients. I had the Mashed Potato pizza as a backup, but Dad had to scramble and got sacked. The Mashed Potato pizza was very good. The crust was the highlight and showed all of the signs of being baked a true stone oven. Very light inside and nicely crisp on the outside. The Mashed Potato pizza was topped with cheddar cheese, green onions (chives), and bacon bits. I'd have been more impressed with actual green onions instead of dry chives, but it was tasty anyway. Served with a side of sour cream.
Dad's panic choice was a Cajun Chicken pizza. I'm not that big a Cajun fan and I really don't care for green pepper and onion on my pizza, but this wasn't too bad. The chicken was nice and spicy, not too much so for me, but Dad was sweating it a little.
Mom went with a sundried tomato, roasted garlic clove, onion and goat cheese pizza that was really excellent. She went with the pizza sauce instead of the olive oil, but I don't think she realized what they were going to do with the oil. (She was imagining things swimming in it, not just having it brushed on.)
The only problem was the size of the pizzas. A small is a 12", which is fine for a trencher like myself, but a little overboard for the average appetite. Fairly pricey, but this was offset by the fact that everything, iced tea included, tasted fresh. We'll definitely give them a second shot, possibly after a call to find out if they have the makings for the Reuben pizza.
Sad to report that the previous weekend we went to the new Uno's in Beechmont for an early dinner and found it nothing like the Uno's of old. No Sea Delico on the menu anymore, so I went with my standby Chicago Classic. (Sausage, cheese and tomato.) Mine was pretty decent, but the crust had a pre-made taste. My wife had a Spinocoli and said that it tasted like frozen veggies on a pre-made crust. Both kids had pepperoni, one a deep dish and the other thin crust. Both were almost tasteless. Based on the marginal food, the high price, and the fact that the place now resembles a TGI Fridays, I don't see us returning. Thankfully we still have Mio's.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 249
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/05 08:45:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Wallyum

Sad to report that the previous weekend we went to the new Uno's in Beechmont for an early dinner and found it nothing like the Uno's of old. No Sea Delico on the menu anymore, so I went with my standby Chicago Classic. (Sausage, cheese and tomato.) Mine was pretty decent, but the crust had a pre-made taste. My wife had a Spinocoli and said that it tasted like frozen veggies on a pre-made crust. Both kids had pepperoni, one a deep dish and the other thin crust. Both were almost tasteless. Based on the marginal food, the high price, and the fact that the place now resembles a TGI Fridays, I don't see us returning.

From what I have read, it was a corporate decision to go with the "neighborhood grill" theme and menu, and it's an embarrassment. The drastic departure from what made them famous in the first place just baffles me.

The new BJ's (mentioned above) does a good Chicago-style pizza. This is likely a problem with the lunch "mini" size, but I found the cheese to be a bit sparse. They pile on the toppings, however, and the "stewed tomato" sauce (very similar to Uno's) is quite good. I was not able to sample the beer or root beer, but their fresh-squeezed lemonade is very thin and leaves a lot to be desired. (As a reference, Penn Station's is infinitely better.) It's a very nice atmosphere in the place, and the overall experience is very reminiscent of Rock Bottom. I am looking forward to trying/sharing one of the larger pizza sizes.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/05 09:19:24 (permalink)
Wallyum! Good to see you back!
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/05 10:11:21 (permalink)
my two cents... please continue with dayton area eating places here... the lunchbunch eats somewhere between cinci and northern dayton every three weeks.. and recommendations are solicited... tomorrow we're going to Troni's on Dorothy Lane... comments? thanx..
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 535
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/03/05 18:35:30 (permalink)
I didn't like that Uno's before. They had an extensive beer list, but it was maddening because I went in with a couple of friends and they were out of every beer we asked for, it seemed.

If I need a deep dish that badly I'll go back to the Bourbon House in Burlington.

The BJ's is intriguing. Thanks for the tip.

I think Mrs. Bonk and myself will try that out this weekend. My ears (or I guess eyes on a message board) perked up when I saw that they make their own beer. I see it's a southwest chain, which is fine with me.
Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 41 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1