AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..5657585960.. > >> Showing page 59 of 110
Author
Euched
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/22 13:39:11 (permalink)
I am assuming that it has been talked about in the past but I have not seen it and that is Lulu's Asian Diner. I went there yesterday for lunch and the food was great. Apparently they are known for their noodles and noodle dishes. I had szechwan beef in a bowl with rice noodles and it was great. The amount of food that you get for the money is pretty good as my bowl was HUGE and it was full up to the top with food. I also tried some of their chicken fried rice, and it was probably the best fried rice that I have had anywhere in Cincinnati. Here is a review from Cincinnati.com from back in 2000 and I know that one change from the review is that they now accept credit cards but they actually add money to the bill if you pay by credit card...something I wish I had known before going there as I didn't have any cash on me. http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/012800_lulus.html
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/22 14:41:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by brittneal

I know that cinci and dayton are both deprived when it comes to great food. Its just a shame that if we eliminate the posts that feature Pizza, this topic would be only 3 pages.
Give su great seafood! Crab, Clams and lobsters. Dont make us have to make a disney-like pilmgrimige to the east coast to get seafood.
brittt
If you want great seafood (flown in from the Gulf Coast nightly) just go to New Orleans To Go:

http://neworleanstogopoboysandmo.com/menu

http://cincynorth.net/neworleanstogo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6637&whichpage=46

franklee
Hamburger

59 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 : 04:08:35
an exception to every rule? probably, esp if it's the lunchbunch breaking it's "once should be enough" standard to return to the scene of the crime.... New Orleans to Go on Kemper Road. What a gastronomic pleasure palace. oyster poboy superb... hot sausage poboy not far behind... sausage jambalaya full flavored begging for more... shrimp jambalaya.. very good, but not a 10. Only Bob and I today... Willie was taste testing the New York thruway.... they actually made clam and shrimp chowder for us even though they had not intended to.. until we pleaded our case of sooo looking forward to it on a thursday (used to be thursday regular.. no more, however)... i see i sound like i'm simpering with sounds of delight... true story... both bob and i like it so much we'e thinking about including New Orleans to Go on non lunchbunch day sorties in future... the bread is much improved... somehow the fully dressed seems more fully dressed than it used to.... we went because we knew we'd enjoy lunch... like Emeril, however, to our delight they had kicked it up a notch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They are just down to the far right from Lulu's by the way - in the same strip shopping center, in Springdale, in the Tri County Shopping Center area.

I have had different dishes at Lulu's over the years - they make great soups and fried rice and noodle dishes. But do not get pad thai there - way too sweet. I also love their Singapore Mai Fun.

Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/22 16:40:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jjjrfoodie

I made a trip to Maya's Saturday for lunch and I was one of the few gringos in the place. Hard to find if you even are looking for it from Route 42. Ordered a lunch platter with a chicken enchilada and a chile relleno. Came with endless fresh salsa, and fresh and hot fried tortilla chips. The chile relleno was a fresh (roasted and skinned), yes...fresh... poblano pepper stuffed with queso fresca and held togehter with toothpicks prior to deepfrying. Totally homemade.. Enchilada sauce is fresh and awesome. Came with refritos,rice and fresh veggie garnish. I added a can of Tecate to drink. Total was like $7 for everything. Lotta food and very authentic as when I was leaving a van full of Spanish speaking constructon workers were coming in for a late lunch.

I'd like to get back and try the mole and a few other of the non-common dishes they have.

jjjrfoodie

I also made a trip out there after reading the post about the place. Now this is what I have been looking for! every authentic, very affordable. the carne asada huarache was very tasty.
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/22 18:20:34 (permalink)
quote:

Posted - 10/18/2008 : 07:34:12
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone here tried Italianette pizza in Silverton? Got a coupon for it, online reviews looked good, and I'm a sucker for a different pizza.
Curious if anyone on here has an opinion.

I lived a few miles from Italianette for almost 10 years and enjoy the place for a good quality pizza that is not a national chain. While I’ve had better, I’ve also had much much worse.
Consistency is good, but I would say that it is not worth a trip out of your way at $2.50 a gallon of gas just for a pie. I usually swing by and get one only if I am in the neighborhood, but with a coupon, and a sense of adventure give it a try. Scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 6.5 to 7.

quote:

Posted - 10/22/2008 : 10:54:07
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey everyone, long time lurker here. My wife and I are planning on going to Pompilios this Friday night. Been a few years since I have been there, and was wondering if the food there is still decent.
Thanks in advance!
Matt

Matt, Pompillios is one of those restaurants that has stood still and time has passed on by. Sadly, the owners ability to update, improve and grow based upon changing culinary demands and competition has also stood still.

I think winemedine me did a review of Pompillios a few months ago and came away with the same feeling I have. It’s a great little local place that is good at basic Italian. That means, Spaghetti and meatballs, ravioli, manicotti, cannelloni, lasagna and the like.

I never vary from the above and have been a customer for over 15 years. The bread is still the same chewy pseudo Italian loaf you spread with butter pats, the red sauce is still sweet, and the waitress are still a little gruff and mouthy. It’s part of the charm if a regular , but other and better food can be had for the price. Go for the atmosphere as much as the food, but I say stay traditional with your order.

jjjrfoodie
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 535
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/22 22:34:57 (permalink)
We went to Pompilio's last year and I don't even remember what my main course was, but the Italian sausage appetizer was phenominal.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1032
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/23 01:44:53 (permalink)
My two cents on Pompillio's.

Go for the atmosphere. Lots of "Rainman" memorabilia.

The food is decent and affordable. Not necessarily spectacular.

If you order a coke, if you don't specify that you want a fountain coke, they will bring you a small bottle (the retro, cool kind), but don't expect refills. If you are drinking more than one soda pop, tell them you want a fountain coke.

The food doesn't suck, and nothing is over $20.00.

And, if you want to play bocce ball, they have a bocce ball court in the back.

It's a pretty cool place to eat. Just don't expect 5 star. It is not. But the food is consistent, and not all that bad.
Hungry Matt
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/23 08:23:23 (permalink)
Thanks everyone. Sounds like the place is still pretty much as I remember it. Yeah I know its not the best, but atmosphere and decent tortellini is fine with me.

We will probably still go there since it has been awhile since we been there. Just making sure that the place hasn't gone from decent to worse.

Thanks again everyone. I will write back my expierience after we go.

Matt
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/23 10:07:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bonk

We went to Pompilio's last year and I don't even remember what my main course was, but the Italian sausage appetizer was phenominal.

Oh Yes!
Their Italian sausage is great and one of the best I've had...it's really the only reason I go there.
westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/24 08:17:36 (permalink)
Went to lunch at the new Cajun restaurant downtown, J. Gumbo's. It is on Walnut between 4th and 5th in the US Bank/Westin Building. Most of their offerings are of the "bowl" variety, ie a bowl of rice topped with the entree. Most are in the 6.99 range, but offer a decent amount of food for the price.
The menu is divided into Mild, Medium, and Hot for the bowl offerings. I had the Mild Jambalaya, which was tasty but not outstanding. Another colleague had the Voodoo chicken, which he said deserved the Hot label it carried.

The nice thing is that the process of paying and receiving food is very fast, so if you are in a hurry, this place can get you moving quickly. I like that. They also have room to sit if you are not in the mood for carryout.

They also offer a Po' Boy, Muffaletta, and a Cajun Chicken Salad.

They are a chain restaurant for those who care. http://www.jgumbos.com/index.html

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/24 09:50:41 (permalink)
I guess the City BBQ in Eastgate is open. We just got a mailer with a coupon for a free brisket sandwich, and it said "now open".

I know they're chains, but I'm pretty happy with Jimmy Buffet's, Chick-Fil-A and City BBQ all being within a two-block radius.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1188
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/24 10:06:34 (permalink)
quote:

I guess the City BBQ in Eastgate is open. We just got a mailer with a coupon for a free brisket sandwich, and it said "now open".

I know they're chains, but I'm pretty happy with Jimmy Buffet's, Chick-Fil-A and City BBQ all being within a two-block radius.

It's not quite open yet; we drove past it last evening. Apparently, Duke hasn't got the gas hooked up properly yet.

I tried City BBQ when they first entered this market. They brought a bunch of food to our office to try and get our catering work (of which there is quite little -- maybe a couple events a year.) I thought it was...bland. Very little smoke flavor to the meat. Underseasoned and lackluster sides.

I'd be open to other experiences of the place if anybody has had good success there.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/24 12:13:23 (permalink)
Stopped in to try Fatburger in Oakley yesterday

Paid 8.10 for a combo to go, got my drink, and found a place in front of the counter to wait

and wait. and wait.

I noted that the burgers really aren't cooked per order - the grill men drop off plain burgers on a tray between two counter folks who then dress the burger to specs on the receipt. And even though the place was fairly busy, some burgers sat a while eithe ron this tray or on the other side of the counter where they waited to be taken to tables.

and then I wited some more

at 29 minutes (comparing time printed on my receipt to the time on my mobile phone) the manager walks up to me and without a word snatches my receipt out of my hand and looks it over. No apologies, no offers to refund my money in part or whole or two throw in a freebie or a coupon for the next visit - not even an apology. He takes the receipt back behind the counter and asks them to make my order.

No rush, mind you. The counter person assembled and sent out about 7-8 orders before assembling mine, handing it over without a word.

At the 35 minute mark, bag in hand, I asked this manager if it was customary to wait 35 minutes for an order. With no enthusiasm, he mustered a unconvincing apology and then turned away to do something else.

The burger was very average. Nothing special about it, really. Very slightly better than a McDonald's quarter pounder for roughly 2.5 times the price. You want cheese? You'll pay 60 cents for a single small slice of cheese.

Never again.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 249
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/24 14:52:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by westsider12

Went to lunch at the new Cajun restaurant downtown, J. Gumbo's. It is on Walnut between 4th and 5th in the US Bank/Westin Building. Most of their offerings are of the "bowl" variety, ie a bowl of rice topped with the entree. Most are in the 6.99 range, but offer a decent amount of food for the price.
The menu is divided into Mild, Medium, and Hot for the bowl offerings. I had the Mild Jambalaya, which was tasty but not outstanding. Another colleague had the Voodoo chicken, which he said deserved the Hot label it carried.

The nice thing is that the process of paying and receiving food is very fast, so if you are in a hurry, this place can get you moving quickly. I like that. They also have room to sit if you are not in the mood for carryout.

They also offer a Po' Boy, Muffaletta, and a Cajun Chicken Salad.

They are a chain restaurant for those who care. http://www.jgumbos.com/index.html

The hours aren't very forgiving (11-6 M-F), but my wife and I will have to get down there. She never expects greatness from any "Yankee" Cajun places, so we'll see how it goes. The Zapp's chips are a nice touch.
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/25 01:38:47 (permalink)
I have to agree with T.J. on Fatburger. Although I didn't have the wait, my Fatburger with cheese and onion rings came out to $9.04. Although the onion rings are quite good (very similar to those from Frisch's) you get such a small portion, barely five or six rings. They're way too expensive for me for the small amount of food that you get. Personally I'd rather go over to Chipotle as it's much closer to where I'm at when I'm in Hyde Park and the food is better to boot.
brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/25 02:52:07 (permalink)
PizzaNut.. Thanks for the advice. Am I looking wrong? I went to the New Orleans To Go site and only saw 20 items including apps. The seafood offered could just have been froze as i saw nothing more exotic than tiapalia!.. I was hoping for crabs and crab cakes. Fressh oysters on the half-shell, crawfisf, soft shell and other goodies/ I saw nothing more upscale than Capt D's
britt

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/25 09:33:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by brittneal

PizzaNut.. Thanks for the advice. Am I looking wrong? I went to the New Orleans To Go site and only saw 20 items including apps. The seafood offered could just have been froze as i saw nothing more exotic than tiapalia!.. I was hoping for crabs and crab cakes. Fressh oysters on the half-shell, crawfisf, soft shell and other goodies/ I saw nothing more upscale than Capt D's
britt

The owner (her name is La Toya) is from New Orleans, and is a Katrina survivor. She is pregnant and her hubby helps her out (he works at the Georgetown KY Toyota plant). They have curtailed their hours of operation as noted on the website as she is having a difficult pregnancy. My lunchbunch group has been there several times. Our favorite is the oyster po' boy which is made with fresh Gulf Coast oysters. Her jambalaya and chowders are fantastic as are the red beans with rice. Also her cornbread made from her husband's KY rooted recipe is wonderful. This is not a fancy place - very down home atmosphere. I would suggest you call (513 671 2711) for more details if this sounds good. (They have crawfish in season ). Tell her Bob and Frank suggested her place, if you call, and that you post here on Roadfood - she is familar with this website.

Here is a link to a short write-up on this restaurant - which will give you a better idea of what they are all about:

http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/dining/detail.asp?RestID=10499
Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/25 15:07:19 (permalink)
Looks like there is a new Mexican restaurant coming to the Florence/Elsmere area. Saw a sign announcing Tequiero Jelisco (or something like that) opening soon in the old German Cuisine building on Dixie Highway here in NKY.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/25 22:16:41 (permalink)
TJ - 35 minutes?!?! And no refund or coupons!?

I guess I'm not going. I'll go to Roy Rogers next time I want a good fast food burger at a lot better price.

I know we have a lot of intertwining between the Dayton and Cincinnati threads, so for those that were curious about the Cena Brazilian Steakhouse at the Dayton Mall, I just did a write-up in the Dayton thread. I highly recommend it if you're into the Brazilian thing, which I realize not everyone is.
sudie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 234
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/26 20:59:46 (permalink)
We ate at Eddie Merlot's this week. Not exactly a Roadfood experience, but they are featuring a $27.99 Dinner with several choices of entrees, 6 oz tenderloin, tuna, salmon, pork chop, with salad and vegetables. We ordered a glass of wine, and tenderloins. Great food, although the mashed potatoes were gummy. But we had the waiter from Hell who was obviously not happy to be serving people dining "on the cheap." What the heck, their specials are ON THE MENU. The dining room looked to us about 1/8 full. Most were couples, ordering from the same menu we did. We were chastised at every turn, when we didn't order a second drink, when we refused coffee and dessert. Mr. "I'm so better than you are" gave us our check and said. "Let's get you out of here before you spend any money." In this economy, a waiter in a high end steak house should be happy anyone comes in.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/26 22:00:27 (permalink)
I would not take that kind of stuff lying down. I would have a talk with the manager or owner and let him know what happened and what was said.
tpd
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/26 22:32:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sudie

Mr. "I'm so better than you are" gave us our check and said. "Let's get you out of here before you spend any money."

I'm not a particularly confrontational person by nature but that remark would have sent me over the edge. Totally unprofessional. On top of a 5% tip I would have been having a serious conversation with the manager while things were still fresh. Let the waiter deny he said it. Unbelievable.
brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/27 04:12:45 (permalink)
I would have told the waiter that the worst part was if I liked the service i didnt tip. That way I could affor to come back real soon.
Pizza nut. I loved that website you gave me. Not so much for the write-up of the one but for the links to reviews of dozens of other placed and their web sites! I saw so many places i would love to go. To bad as it 60 miles to the top end of cinci for me. A little further to Forrest park or Sharonville.
Thanks again.
britt
Hungry Matt
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/27 08:56:39 (permalink)
Went to Pompilios on Friday night. The place was packed, we had about an hour wait. That was not to much of a problem so we got some drinks and sat and relaxed waiting for a table. We ordered some drinks and I ordered cheese tortellini with a side of italian sausage. My wife and neighbor ordered Lasagna, and his wife got linguini with white sauce. Food came very fast, before we was done with salad. Mine came hot, my neighbors wife's came hot but both lasagnas where cold in the middle. They went back and the same dish came back, obviously microwaved to scolding hot. Same plate with same amount eaten. After we finished, the waitress picked up plates, gave us our bill. Never asked if we wanted more drinks, or desert.

My tortelini was good as was my sausage. My neighbor liked her linguini, only bad part of the night was the lasagna and the big push to get us out.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/27 14:15:54 (permalink)
What's up with bad service lately? In a struggling economy, you'd think servers wouldn't want to push people that are still going out to eat away.
KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/27 15:50:11 (permalink)
TJ, I had a very different experience at Fatburger. Quick service, and I found the burger to be totally unrelated to the frozen oversalted patty that McD's cranks out.

It is pretty expensive, especially if you go with the onion rings, though I also had a different experience than ghaz there, where I found the onion ring portion to be fair. I enjoyed the experience overall and would probably return.

Sudie, I would have made a scene out of what you described. Anyone can have a bad day, but that's not your problem. I certainly would have made the manager aware and given them the chance to fix the situation.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/27 18:49:45 (permalink)
quote:

What's up with bad service lately? In a struggling economy, you'd think servers wouldn't want to push people that are still going out to eat away.
........it sounds like the waiter and his employer have a profound death wish...
vudutu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/29 11:30:58 (permalink)
Can anyone clear up something for me. Always on the lookout for REAL mex I caught a post about Taqueria Mercado and did a little googling. I found two, both on Dixie Hwy, one in Fairfield and one in NKY. I was already to head down south to the NKY location and then I saw a post that said they were closed. What up?
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/29 13:24:14 (permalink)
I believe I did hear the N Ky location is no longer is in operation.
Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/10/29 22:50:20 (permalink)
Yep, the one here in NKY closed a while back. Just for reference, it was right down Dixie Highway from The Colonial Cottage in Erlanger.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/01 16:32:58 (permalink)
Realizing full well the Dayton folks may raise a righteous uproar that I posted this here (hehe), the Jackson clan went to Troni's after eldest daughter Beth won her soccer game (tournament/playoffs semifinal, final tommorrow, woo-hoo!) and I must say, this place is flat out excellent.

We ordered waaaay too much knowing we'd haul off leftovers for later. Lasagna for Beth and spaghetti with meat sauce for Katie were both proclaimed as among the best they had had. The wife loved the stuffed stromboli best while I preferred the old fashioned thin crust pizza (with a special sauce made of olive oil, crushed fresh tomatoes, and marsala wine - the flavor of the wine came through more strongly as the food cooled). We also had a thick-crusted sicilian with sliced sausage that was very, very good; but everyone preferred the crisp/chewy/airy thin crust style better. The wife admitted that these were among the very best pizzas she had ever had, and this was easily top 5 for me as well.

Strongly recommend this place

Oh, if you are coming from Cincinnati - it's hard to spot, tucked into the corner of a small strip center. When you see a Papa Johns sign, you are right there.
Page: << < ..5657585960.. > >> Showing page 59 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1