AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..6162636465.. > >> Showing page 61 of 111
Author
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/11 16:07:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Delilah77

I was asking about the one on Hosbrook in Kenwood, jjrfoodie. It has been closed for a few weeks now, but the closing was sudden. I've looked online but couldn't find any information.

No no no no no no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forbid it. There are far too many dishes that I need for my "fix" at that place.

In other news...
Because franklee is my piper and I was overcome by a Rattus Norvegicus disorder today (sadly, I just had a meeting out that way and then decided to work from home), I made my way to Noce's Pizzeria today for lunch.

I got two slices of pepperoni to go (and reheat at home) and yes, they are each as big as a full sized plate. Crust was nice and crunchy on the outer edges and soft and foldable in the center. Blackend bits from a seasoned oven coated the bottom.

It’s great to see a place sell pizza by the slice and they even do the specialty pies that way. I think that if this place was downtown or in a high traffic pedestrian area it would be a no brainer. ( BTW-This reminded me of Roma’s downtown before it “soldout” to become Roma Trattoria after the art center went in. )

I enjoyed it, but to set up shop within 5 miles of the mothership headquarters of the local pizza “Dark Side” (aka LaRosa’s) is pretty adventurous.

jjjrfoodie

oops--- the menu ...

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 538
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/11 19:27:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by flyingfoodie

quote:
Originally posted by Bonk

All right...I have to try this Troni's. In two weeks we're going back to Oxford. Going to have to make a major detour.

I'm curious what everyone's top five pizzas in the area would be (Greater Cincinnati to Greater Dayton, I guess). I know the Cincinnati area is lacking a lot of great pizzerias, but there's still some good ones out there, and I'd be interested in what you folks' other top options are.

I would have to go with (keeping in mind I haven't tried Troni's):

1. Nikki's, Hebron, Ky.
2. Bourbon House and Pizzeria, Burlington, Ky.
3. BJ's, Tri-County Mall, Springdale, Ohio
4. Mac & Joe's, Oxford, Ohio
5. Chicago's Pizza, Fairfield, Ohio

Bourbon House is also one of my favorites - they have the BEST Chicago style I've had this far south of Chicago itself. The traditional crust isn't bad either. I've heard good things about Nikki's and will try that soon. I'm curious what you think of Stone Oven which is also in Hebron? I think it's pretty good New York style - always has a nice blackened crust like at John's in NYC. You know, Larosa's get's a bad rap, but for everyday pizza, there's nuthin' wrong with it. I am a total pizza-head and I've had FAR worse than Larosa's, believe me! Dewey's is just about my favorite around here - great chewy crust and really fresh toppings. So my top 5 would be:

Dewey's - Crestview Hills, KY
Stone Oven - Hebron, KY
Bourbon House - Burlington, KY
Riverfront Pizza - Covington, KY
Adriaticos - Clifton, OH (old college favorite)

For chains, I'll take Larosa's anyday. :-)

Now if you want to talk about the very BEST steak hoagie on the planet, go to Parker's Pizzeria in Georgetown, OH. It's in my hometown and I've never found a better "log" anywhere!

Never had or even heard of Stone Oven. I'll have to give that a shot.

That's kind of why I wanted to do a top five -- so people could see others' favorites and give them ideas for places to try.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4609
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/11 19:50:39 (permalink)
Stone Oven is kinda across the street from Nicky's in Hebron
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 538
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/11 21:33:09 (permalink)
TJ, do you like it too?

I've been having a taste for a different pizza, if you couldn't tell.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/12 00:22:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jjjrfoodie

quote:

I was asking about the one on Hosbrook in Kenwood, jjrfoodie. It has been closed for a few weeks now, but the closing was sudden. I've looked online but couldn't find any information.

No no no no no no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forbid it. There are far too many dishes that I need for my "fix" at that place.

In other news...
Because franklee is my piper and I was overcome by a Rattus Norvegicus disorder today (sadly, I just had a meeting out that way and then decided to work from home), I made my way to Noce's Pizzeria today for lunch.

I got two slices of pepperoni to go (and reheat at home) and yes, they are each as big as a full sized plate. Crust was nice and crunchy on the outer edges and soft and foldable in the center. Blackend bits from a seasoned oven coated the bottom.

It’s great to see a place sell pizza by the slice and they even do the specialty pies that way. I think that if this place was downtown or in a high traffic pedestrian area it would be a no brainer. ( BTW-This reminded me of Roma’s downtown before it “soldout” to become Roma Trattoria after the art center went in. )

I enjoyed it, but to set up shop within 5 miles of the mothership headquarters of the local pizza “Dark Side” (aka LaRosa’s) is pretty adventurous.

jjjrfoodie

oops--- the menu ...

If Noce's reminds you of Roma's it has to be great NY style pizza. My amigo has apparently stumbled onto something unbelievable apparently!!!

When I worked downtown I lunched at Roma's several times a week - two slices of pie and a drink and I was a very happy man!

I also was shocked at the transition to the trattoria theme when Aronoff Center came along - also Quentin - the owner died shortly after ushering in the trattoria concept and I gave up on them - they seemed insulted when you went there for a pizza like you were some low-life who didn't want to spend $50 bucks for some wine and some lousy Italian food overcooked or worse.

Thanks jjjrfoodie for confirming franklee's opinion of Noce's - I cannot wait to try them out (I used to live near the YWCA near Boudinot and Montana and it kills me I am now sitting 60 miles away from them!) Oh well at least my cholesterol level and heart condition may stay in better shape this way.

franklee and I lunch together weekly with a buddy from near Dayton so we really get around the area covered by Cinci, Dayton and Brown County. Sometimes franklee's ideas about pizza are opposite to mine (I like a plain cheese pie and he loves to load his up with 4 or 5 items) and he at times does not seem to appreciate the importance of a chewy and excellent crust as the first prerequisite of a great pie, along with the best cheese and tomato sauce. But again if he has found the equivalent of the old Roma's pizza he is to be congratulated heartily and I will have gained a lot of respect for his pizza acumen.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/12 09:56:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by franklee

Will miracles never cease? A very good pizzeria has come to the westside of Cincinnati. Noce's Pizzeria (New York style Pizzeria) next door to some of the best shrimp pad thai I've ever eaten. Takeout for lunch today at the suggestion of friend Pamela. Half Mattie Deluxe (Pepperoni, Sausage, Mushrooms, green peppers, onions & garlic) & Half white dream (garlic & oil, mozzarella, ricotta, tomato, broccoli & basic)... small... opens at 11... 4105B North Bend Road. 513.662.6623. I was most reluctant to try it... having been influenced by my luncbunch friend bob... am glad i took the plunge
This is the Chinese restaurant franklee is talking about:

http://www.dragoncitykitchen.com/default.aspx

Their Pad Thai and Singapore Mai Fun is some of the best and most reasonably priced that I have ever had. They also have some other locations around town.

It turns out our lunchbunch will be at Noce's tomorrow!!
luebster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/12 13:23:50 (permalink)
The guys working at the Fountain Square Chipotle construction site told me today that they intend to open December 5.
BillyZoom
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/12 13:37:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I've been meaning to try Stone Oven for some time but it is kinda out of the way for me and the family....is it worth a trip from Mt Washington?

Also on the topic of pizza, I noted this weekend on a drive through Covington that both Germantown Pizza and Pizza Time are closed. I have no idea when they closed. The Germantown closing is especially said - they had been there for forever and a day. We ended up at[url='http://www.salvadorespizzeria.com/']Salvadore's[/url] (sed to be a Pasquale's, right? Good sauce, so-so crust, too much cheese. Not bad, not good either. The twisted breadsticks were pretty good. Don't go there if you avoid places that are not well cleaned/maintained.

For lunch Friday I ended up at my beloved Tan Thai and I was determined to order something I had never tried before because I'd never had a bad meal there no matter what I ordered. I ended up with my first serving ever of [url='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pad_see_ew']Pad see ew[/url], spice level 2 of 5. Not only was it absolutely fantastic, it is my new favorite dish there.

I also noted on Friday that Fresh - well, actually, they had recently rebranded themselves to "Southwest Fresh" and changed their menu to burritos, tacos, taco salads, etc etc - on the corner of 4th and Walnut has a sign up indicating they are closed permanently due to problems with the Bartlet Building (which has been in the news a lot lately due to non-payment of utilities and such, leaving tenants literlally in the dark)

For lunch today, we went to John Philips in Crestview Hills, and although the place was all but empty, the food was very good. My wife had an EXCELLENT 8oz filet mignon, and I had a very good spicy farfalle dish. I also had the crab and corn chowder, also very very good. Lunch prices were well under 10 dollars in most cases, with decent portion size. The filet was off the dinner menu and was $24 but imho well worth it - ultra tender, good outer crust indicative of a high heat broiler, and much more flavorful than the typical filet. Just before we left, they sat 3 adults at the booth next to ours (weird because the place was still empty as a mausoleum, and this is a big, big place) and all three ordered (without even glancing at the menu) the "crusted chicken". I am guessing this dish must also be pretty good, I'll try it on the next visit. Not a roadfood joint, not at all, but definitely good eats.

Germantowne (the most recent owner spells it that way) moved to Latonia. I believe the building used to be "Breakfast at Ashley's". The new place is nicer and larger, although I would say quality has suffered a little bit. Still good - I go once a week.

John Philips is indeed good. I've found that even when a third full at lunch, though, the service is terribly slow. The crusted chicken is very good. If you're not in a hurry it's a good place to go.
westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/13 12:17:24 (permalink)
I live about five minutes from both of these places. We love Dragon City; they are always fast and accurate and very fresh. Friendly folks as well. The sesame chicken is delicious.

I'm excited to try Noce's. There have been a few establishments that have been in that spot recently after angilo's closed. Most were gone in a month.
quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

quote:

Will miracles never cease? A very good pizzeria has come to the westside of Cincinnati. Noce's Pizzeria (New York style Pizzeria) next door to some of the best shrimp pad thai I've ever eaten. Takeout for lunch today at the suggestion of friend Pamela. Half Mattie Deluxe (Pepperoni, Sausage, Mushrooms, green peppers, onions & garlic) & Half white dream (garlic & oil, mozzarella, ricotta, tomato, broccoli & basic)... small... opens at 11... 4105B North Bend Road. 513.662.6623. I was most reluctant to try it... having been influenced by my luncbunch friend bob... am glad i took the plunge

Their Pad Thai and Singapore Mai Fun is some of the best and most reasonably priced that I have ever had. They also have some other locations around town.

PAinOH
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/14 21:04:43 (permalink)
Newbie here...

We just moved to Cincinnati, and my family took you all up on the Noce's recommendation.

It was definitely good NY-style pizza!

Crust is crisp on the outside and chewy in the middle. Sauce is a good flavor (my only complaint would be that there was a bit too much), just the right amount of cheese, and my hubby was happy to get the pizza+wings deal. We got a pizza, wings, and garlic twists for under $25.00 with tax!

Well worth the drive out to North Bend! Thx!

On the aside, we still need some GOOD BURGER recommendations and GOOD FAMILY places. Then we can be content .
PAinOH
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/14 21:09:23 (permalink)
Oh, and anyone know of a Chinese place with good HONEY CHICKEN??

Thx.
PAinOH
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/14 21:25:03 (permalink)
quote:

Stopped in to try Fatburger in Oakley yesterday

Paid 8.10 for a combo to go, got my drink, and found a place in front of the counter to wait

and wait. and wait.

I noted that the burgers really aren't cooked per order - the grill men drop off plain burgers on a tray between two counter folks who then dress the burger to specs on the receipt. And even though the place was fairly busy, some burgers sat a while eithe ron this tray or on the other side of the counter where they waited to be taken to tables.

and then I wited some more

at 29 minutes (comparing time printed on my receipt to the time on my mobile phone) the manager walks up to me and without a word snatches my receipt out of my hand and looks it over. No apologies, no offers to refund my money in part or whole or two throw in a freebie or a coupon for the next visit - not even an apology. He takes the receipt back behind the counter and asks them to make my order.

No rush, mind you. The counter person assembled and sent out about 7-8 orders before assembling mine, handing it over without a word.

At the 35 minute mark, bag in hand, I asked this manager if it was customary to wait 35 minutes for an order. With no enthusiasm, he mustered a unconvincing apology and then turned away to do something else.

The burger was very average. Nothing special about it, really. Very slightly better than a McDonald's quarter pounder for roughly 2.5 times the price. You want cheese? You'll pay 60 cents for a single small slice of cheese.

Never again.

TJ--

Our Fatburger experience was partly like yours and partly ok. Hubby says he'd want to go back, but I'm not sure I would. I told him we could eat it again if he brought it home!

PROS:
Burgers seemed homemade, flame-broiled-esque, pretty decent size (I agree though that it wasn't uber fresh)
The order of slim fries is huge

CONS:
Paying extra for cheese
Price-- $30+ for me, hubby, and one of our two kids!
Long wait (but they were packed to the walls)
Our cashier was uber rude and not sympathetic that it was our 1st time there

In addition, all the regular customers seemed to sort of get dropped when some local Bengals and entourage decided to drop in for a burger. Maybe they'd play better if they weren't putting grease in their bellies on a Saturday . He he he...
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/14 22:11:48 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

As it turned out we went to Troni's in Kettering as the 3d member of our lunchbunch got back in from out of town quicker than we thought - as usual their pizza and garlic rolls and antipasto and pasta fagiolli soup and tiramisu and cannolis were truly wondrous!! Here are photos of the exterior and interior of Troni's:

I captured Nick, our waiter, looking at me and his dad, the owner, may be seen (not well) in the pizza oven area in the top right corner of the image. Nick is one of four siblings that work there, along their mom and dad.
Euched
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/15 00:49:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PAinOH

Newbie here...

We just moved to Cincinnati, and my family took you all up on the Noce's recommendation.

It was definitely good NY-style pizza!

Crust is crisp on the outside and chewy in the middle. Sauce is a good flavor (my only complaint would be that there was a bit too much), just the right amount of cheese, and my hubby was happy to get the pizza+wings deal. We got a pizza, wings, and garlic twists for under $25.00 with tax!

Well worth the drive out to North Bend! Thx!

On the aside, we still need some GOOD BURGER recommendations and GOOD FAMILY places. Then we can be content .

For an awesome burger you should check out Terry's Turf Club http://www.yelp.com/biz/terrys-turf-club-cincinnati . I really think they have the best burgers in town. You will hear from many others in Cincinnati that Zips has the best burgers in Cincinnati but I feel they are greatly overrated. Zips has good burgers, but I do not think they are worth driving out of your way for them. Zips is a good place to take the family to get a good burger, but Terry's is a great place to get the best burgers in town without your kids...
Euched
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/15 11:22:09 (permalink)
I know this is off topic but it is somewhat relevant since I know you can get them at some local restaurants or could in the past... Does anybody on here know where I can get a deep fried turkey for Thanksgiving in Cincinnati? In the past I have taken my turkey to Pit to Plate for them to smoke it and it has been wonderful... Pit to Plate has some great BBQ in general if anybody is looking for a good place to go... I would really like a deep fried turkey this year for Thanksgiving and I would rather not have to deal with frying it up myself with kids all around the house and the fire hazards that come with it...
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/15 20:28:52 (permalink)
Deep Fried Turkey - I am thinking that Ollie's Trolley does those

also
quote:
Originally posted by Euched
For an awesome burger you should check out Terry's Turf Club http://www.yelp.com/biz/terrys-turf-club-cincinnati . I really think they have the best burgers in town.

I just took the wife there for a late lunch yesterday while the kids where with gramma and grampa, and she proclaimed it the best burger she had ever had. I think it is a wonderful burger that would be much improved if a) they find a way to size the bun up to the size of the patty, or b) size the burger down a bit to the size of the bun. The fires would also be much improved if they were blanched then fried. All of these are VERY minor complaints, mind you -- I love this place.
PAinOH
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/16 10:27:23 (permalink)
quote:

Yep, I live right down the street from Ollie's Trolley, and they have the sign out now for ordering deep fried turkeys.
jumpinjessflash
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/17 12:33:19 (permalink)
Greetings Cincinnati!

It will take me at least a week to slog my way through all the wonderful and informative posts here, but I look forward to the challenge.

I found this forum while trying to do a search on where to get jajangmyun anywhere in the area. The last time I was at Riverside Korean in Covington, they didn't have it, and checking their website it looks like that hasn't changed.

Short of attempting to recreate it in my own kitchen, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance and much love for the food,

jumpinjessflash
Delilah77
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/17 15:07:51 (permalink)
The Korea House in Harper's Station has it on the menu. I haven't ordered it so I can't vouch for it's tastiness but it's there to try.
Euched
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/17 15:37:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PAinOH

quote:

Yep, I live right down the street from Ollie's Trolley, and they have the sign out now for ordering deep fried turkeys.

Thank you both so much for the idea... I just got off the phone with them and I will be picking up my deep fried turkey on Thanksgiving Day at 12:30. It has been a really long time since I have been down to Ollie's so they didn't even come to mind. They also offer their turkeys smoked and grilled (if I remember what she said correctly).
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 250
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/17 16:26:46 (permalink)
quote:

The Korea House in Harper's Station has it on the menu. I haven't ordered it so I can't vouch for it's tastiness but it's there to try.

I haven't ordered it, either, but I really enjoy The Korea House...haven't had a bad meal there yet.
Time for Pie
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/18 21:29:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

I used to work in Roselawn, right on Reading Road, right at the corner where the Roselawn Shopping Center is. The other road leads to Gibson Greeting cards, can't remember the name of it. I seem to recall a place called The Chili Company, maybe a very small local chain, anyone recall it?
Also, just up the street was the best bagels I have ever had in a small shopping center. They made 'em right there but don't recall the name, but all the local Jewish people came there.
Marx is the bagel company. They have an outlet store in Springdale. The chili place you remember in Roselawn was Chili Time, a small (3 stores at its peak) former chain that is down to one location on Vine Street in St. Bernard. The Chili Company has been opening and closing locations around town for years. I don't know if any still exist (Oakley maybe?) They always had a great (and cheap) breakfast.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/18 21:51:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Time for Pie

quote:

I used to work in Roselawn, right on Reading Road, right at the corner where the Roselawn Shopping Center is. The other road leads to Gibson Greeting cards, can't remember the name of it. I seem to recall a place called The Chili Company, maybe a very small local chain, anyone recall it?
Also, just up the street was the best bagels I have ever had in a small shopping center. They made 'em right there but don't recall the name, but all the local Jewish people came there.
Marx is the bagel company. They have an outlet store in Springdale. The chili place you remember in Roselawn was Chili Time, a small (3 stores at its peak) former chain that is down to one location on Vine Street in St. Bernard. The Chili Company has been opening and closing locations around town for years. I don't know if any still exist (Oakley maybe?) They always had a great (and cheap) breakfast.
The Marx Bagel Factory in Roselawn moved to Blue Ash:

http://cincinnati.citysearch.com/profile/35736772/cincinnati_oh/marx_hot_bagels.html

I was born and raised in metro NYC area and Marx bagels and bialys are as good as anything you find in NYC. I love them.
Alco251
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/18 21:54:22 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

The only Marx Bagels location left is on Kenwood Road in Blue Ash. The Springdale location closed about 5 years ago, as well as the Fort Mitchell one.
Euched
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/18 22:05:10 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

The Marx Bagel Factory in Roselawn moved to Blue Ash:

http://cincinnati.citysearch.com/profile/35736772/cincinnati_oh/marx_hot_bagels.html

I was born and raised in metro NYC area and Marx bagels and bialys are as good as anything you find in NYC. I love them.

Marx Hot Bagels are definitely the best bagels in town...I also grew up around the corner from the Roselawn location and used to stop in there every morning while walking to school... Their Blue Ash location is always pretty busy and the only thing that has changed about the place since closing the other locations is their prices...
Time for Pie
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/18 23:12:53 (permalink)
OK, I've gotten 1/3 of the way through this chat/thread (20+ pages - "gasp") and thought I had better report some of my comments before they became a book. As is, this will be a long post. Sorry. Also sorry if some of this has been stated in the remaining 2/3 of the thread. I'll restrict my comments to places mentioned in the thread and wait to add my own choices until after I've read the whole thing.

Since I'm new to these forums (today), a short bio: After 40+ years in Cincinnati (and 50+ in Ohio), I relocated to central Missouri two years ago and opened a pie shop and espresso bar in a touristy small town in wine country. Although new to foodservice, my wife and I (no kids) have always liked to dine out, and have eaten at many, many places in Greater Cincinnati. I also used to be a reporter, so I might get a little wordy at times . Again, sorry.

Arnold's - unique, but a notch less delicious since Jim Tarbell sold it some years ago. The Greek spaghetti is tasty, and they once had cold chinese noodles on the lunch menu that was also a treat.

Sugar & Spice - went there a lot as a kid and enjoyed it. Went back in the 90s and was underwhelmed. Still there, I think.

The Cricket - had a memorable night there (the old one) when there with a group that had just watched Tom Seaver pitch his no-hitter at Riverfront Stadium. It was a cool old Cincinnati place.

City-Q - I lived about a block from this place in my last Cincy-area home. I tried it in its first iteration and was not impressed. Didn't go back after they re-opened.

Upper Krust - the original, I believe, was the one in Reading at Reading and Galbraith Roads. The Clifton one was added later. Dad took us there a lot as kids. It later moved to Chester Road in Sharonville, and survived through that move and a later name change, but is now long gone.

The Comet - a cool place with a really eclectic crowd, good live music, and the "best jukebox in town". I don't like the burritos though.

Mr. Herb's - I've been to the one in Hebron, and the fish is indeed superb!

F&N Steakhouse - another of Dad's favorites, he would take us there (or Walt's) after a trip to Turfway Park. RIP

Maury's Tiny Cove - a Cincinnati institution, but I never had a good meal there. I don't get it.

Pasquale's Pizza - once a sizable chain, there are only a few left. Once had some of the best hoagies in town, with excellent egg-bun hoagie rolls. I had one walking distance from where I grew up. mmmmm.

Jimmy's BBQ (Vine Street in Hartwell) and Jim Dandy's BBQ (Sharon Road in Sharonville) - very similar stories. Each started with a BBQ trailer in local parking lots (coincidentally, each did a stint in the lot of Brentwood Plaza, near my mom's house) and later moved to a permanent restaurant. And failed within a year of the move.

The Root Beer Stand - in an old A&W drive in, still serving a similar menu. We used to make this a regular Wednesday night stop during the summers.

Mr. Genes - Original location on Beekman Street is in a terrible neighborhood but the food is good. The building was destroyed a few years ago by a runaway school bus, but they were planning to rebuild. I don't know if that happened.

Pacific Moon - never tried it, but I was a regular at Alex and Barbara Chin's previous place, Chin Dynasty in St. Bernard. It was tasty.

Guenther's - great place, steaks are awesome and they do a really nice Mahi dinner. Call early for weekend reservations.

Cactus Pear - went there for lunch on occasion with work groups. Awful. Lots of artistry, but don't go if you are hungry.

Vinyl - I don't understand the guy who said it wasn't in a bad neighborhood. A friend of mine was murdered in that block after leaving a club. Call me not convinced.

Thanks for the thread, TJ. More later.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 250
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/18 23:34:06 (permalink)
quote:
Jimmy's BBQ (Vine Street in Hartwell) and Jim Dandy's BBQ (Sharon Road in Sharonville) - very similar stories. Each started with a BBQ trailer in local parking lots (coincidentally, each did a stint in the lot of Brentwood Plaza, near my mom's house) and later moved to a permanent restaurant. And failed within a year of the move.

I am pretty sure Jim Dandy's is still kicking, unless they failed since this past Thursday, when I had lunch there.
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/19 10:48:11 (permalink)
quote:

Arnold's - unique, but a notch less delicious since Jim Tarbell sold it some years ago. The Greek spaghetti is tasty, and they once had cold chinese noodles on the lunch menu that was also a treat.

Agreed.

quote:

Pasquale's Pizza - once a sizable chain, there are only a few left. Once had some of the best hoagies in town, with excellent egg-bun hoagie rolls. I had one walking distance from where I grew up. mmmmm.

All are gone as of this moment

quote:

Yep, Jim Dandy's is still alive and doing quite well.

quote:

Mr. Genes - Original location on Beekman Street is in a terrible neighborhood but the food is good. The building was destroyed a few years ago by a runaway school bus, but they were planning to rebuild. I don't know if that happened.

Mr. Gene's is still there in it's glorious crappy neighborhood. Just had lunch there in the late summer.

quote:

Pacific Moon - never tried it, but I was a regular at Alex and Barbara Chin's previous place, Chin Dynasty in St. Bernard. It was tasty.

They closed up shop in Montomery sadly and moved to Newport on the Levee where the crowds that made them so popular did not follow and the price of rent drove them out of business.

quote:

Cactus Pear - went there for lunch on occasion with work groups. Awful. Lots of artistry, but don't go if you are hungry.

I personally love Cactus Pear. Orignally concieved and owned by chef Elliot Jablonski, it was sold to Swami a decade ago and I am still suprised the menu has remained the same since Elliot owned it. AWESOME salsa and creative tex-mex IMHO.

jjjrfoodie
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/19 11:05:13 (permalink)
I'm pretty sure the Pasquale's in Bellvue/Dayton Ky is still in operation
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2008/11/19 12:20:43 (permalink)
quote:

I'm pretty sure the Pasquale's in Bellvue/Dayton Ky is still in operation

I was not aware of this TJ. Thanks. I thought all of the Kentucky stores closed and when I went by the only Cincy store left on Pippin Rd. over in Colerain Twp., it too was closed.

Souns like a Saturday roadtrip for me.

jjjrfoodie
Page: << < ..6162636465.. > >> Showing page 61 of 111
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1