AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..6162636465.. > >> Showing page 65 of 110
Author
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/05 20:14:01 (permalink)
The only bagel and bialy place in Greater Cinci I would frequent is Marx Hot Bagels in Blue Ash.  Great bagels and bialys are as scarce as great pizza is in this area - if you remember what they tasted like when you grew up in the Greater NY area. 
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/09 16:57:58 (permalink)
Last night I returned from an overnight roadtrip to Cincinnati, and while I was there I had dinner at City BBQ's Eastgate location. I wish I could give it a thumbs-up, but it was pretty much a disappointment. I had the "city platter" with four meats ( pork, brisket, sausage and turkey ); all four of them tasted pretty good, but temperature-wise all four were lukewarm at best. The beans were good, although not as sweet as I'd like, and the hushpuppies were not the least bit sweet, nor was there any hint of onion. My biggest complaint was the cole slaw - the worst I've ever had. One bite of that mess was quite enough. Oh well, back to Burbank's.... 
                                                                            Bob
donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/09 20:13:41 (permalink)
City BBQ seems to vary greatly depending upon the current management. The Centerville location started out awesome in 2005 or so, and slowly slid to mediocre - sides not up to par, meat not flavorful for BBQ, etc. plus increasingly sullen and unfriendly hired help. Then they got burned out by a fire in August 2007, were closed for about 3 months, and reopened in the fall of 2007. It was a WORLD of difference after that, they improved in every category.
franklee
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/09 21:15:05 (permalink)
where can i get a kobe beef hamburger in cincinnati-covington?

johnbycz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/10 10:11:38 (permalink)
I know Teller's in Hyde Park has one.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/12 12:13:46 (permalink)
Kobe Burger~$12
8 oz kobe beef·onion·tomato·teller’s chips

http://www.tellersofhydepark.com/dinner.html

Yup it is on their lunch and dinner menu..
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1188
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/12 12:29:41 (permalink)
I had their stuff when the first location was new -- they brought "free lunch" to our office to try to generate catering business. I was underwhelmed.

I know one of the local managers; he does not strike me as a guy who knows bbq.
soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/12 20:55:03 (permalink)
Tink's has a Kobe burger:
http://www.tinkscafe.com/menu.html
erictall
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/14 16:31:59 (permalink)
Does anybody know about Lulu's noodles?  Based on writings here about NOTG, we were headed there, but it was closed on Dec 26th, and Lulu's two doors over seemed hoppin'.  I had the best bowl of ramen since I came back from Japan.  All 8 of us had something different and it was all fresh and yummy. 

(Sorry if this has already been mentioned before, I tried searching, but don't know my way around this forum so well.)
Euched
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/14 17:10:04 (permalink)
erictall

Does anybody know about Lulu's noodles?  Based on writings here about NOTG, we were headed there, but it was closed on Dec 26th, and Lulu's two doors over seemed hoppin'.  I had the best bowl of ramen since I came back from Japan.  All 8 of us had something different and it was all fresh and yummy. 

(Sorry if this has already been mentioned before, I tried searching, but don't know my way around this forum so well.)

Lulu's has been mentioned here before...  I have been there a couple times, and they have the best ramen that I have had in Cincinnati.  I have only been there at lunch time, but it was definitely a hopping place...
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/16 14:15:57 (permalink)
I like Lulu's but I love NOTG!
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/22 20:01:32 (permalink)
I went to the Travel, Sports & Boat Show last night, and afterward went to Bootsy's produced by Jeff Ruby.  I must say I found it over-priced & over-rated.

I went with a friend and we ordered from the tapas menu.  We got five appetizers and a total of three drinks {one for my friend, two for me} and the bill, without tip, was $75.  I would not have minded paying that if the food was outstanding, but it was mediocre at best.

We got the duck tacos, which was two tacos, about the size of my thumb.  The meat tasted more like shredded beef than duck.  Next was the goat cheese.  The tomato fondue was bitter.  It basically tasted like Hunt's tomato sauce directly from the can.  I've had much better at other places for less money.

Next was the Charcuteria flatbread.  It was small, but I thought it was okay.  The whole blue prawns were completely tasteless, even when the greilled lemon was squeezed over them.  Three tasteless prawns for $13.

Lastly we had the Croquettas, which were supposed to be country ham balls.  The smoked cheddar was so overwhelming, that even if I was able to find the ham, you wouldn't have been able to taste it anyway.

These tapas may not be indicative of the entire menu, but I was disappointed in the lack of flavor.  If anyone goes & has a better experience, let me know!!  Otherwise, I probably won't go back.

http://www.jeffruby.com/bootsy-menu.html
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/22 20:49:01 (permalink)
I had mentioned earlier that there were rumors that Jean-Robert DeCavel would be dissolving his partnership with the Wades, his partners in the Jean-Robert Group.

Not only is the partnership dissolving, and the name of the group changing to the Relish Restaurant Group, but Jean-Robert at Pigall's is closing.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090122/ENT01/301220111/1026

This is not good news for the local restaurant industry.
johnbycz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/29 20:56:21 (permalink)
Does anybody have any recommendations for the Hocking Hills area? We're headed there soon. We've been to Sumburger in Chillicothe, and I've seen good things about Jack's Steak House in Logan. I hear Nelsonville might have a few places, but don't know what's good. Anyone?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18652
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/29 21:26:36 (permalink)
johnbycz

Does anybody have any recommendations for the Hocking Hills area? We're headed there soon. We've been to Sumburger in Chillicothe, and I've seen good things about Jack's Steak House in Logan. I hear Nelsonville might have a few places, but don't know what's good. Anyone?

Jacks is OK. In Nelsonville there's a Sonic, and at the northern edge of Nelsonville is a place called The Coffee Cup. It's pretty good. North of Nelsonville about four miles is Dee's Diner. It's pretty pedestrian, but it's interesting. Then there's the Old Dutch Restaurant in Logan. Not bad if you like that style of food. I've been meaning to try Millstone Southern Barbeque, which is a little north of Logan on U.S. 23.

Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6395
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/29 22:17:02 (permalink)
johnbycz

Check out Bush's Restaurant in Logan. It is diner type food. The Sandstone Bistro in Logan is a dinner place. The Coffee Cup in Nelsonville is recommended for breakfast. I've been to all three and they are OK, but nothing great.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/29 22:25:06 (permalink)
....and now, back to discussion about the Greater Cincinnati area......

(John, if you want more info on Hocking Hills, could you open a new thread?  No offense intended, and no, I'm not an admin here.....just trying to keep the thread on topic......)
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6449
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/29 23:42:46 (permalink)
WB TJ - You were missed!
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/30 00:02:46 (permalink)
Kinda snowbound of late.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 249
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/30 12:10:39 (permalink)
New Orleans To Go is closed until "approximately March 4" for maternity leave, according to their answering machine. It sounds as though catering is still available.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/30 12:48:34 (permalink)
I guess she decided it wasn't worth the aggravation to bring her dad back up from New Orleans to run the place again, in her absence!

Hope things are going well for LaToya.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/30 18:53:13 (permalink)
Several tidbits

The Jean Robert Empire takes a tumble: I suppose someone has already mentioned this, but just in case, ya'all already know that Jean Robert de Cavel is quitting Pigalls, Pigalls will close for about a month to retool (probably into a far less formal place), and Jean Robert hopes to start anew somewhere else in Cincinnati.  This is very sad, and is all because (imho) his financial backer interferes too much.  I mean, you have to give some patience with a new enterprise.  Question: if Pigalls becomes a less formal joint, what do you do with the already less-formal JeanRo Bistro, just a block away? 

Many closings downtown: I'm sure I am missing a ton, but the following downtown eateries have all closed their doors in the last 30 days and I am unsure if they any will reopen:
-Sahara Cafe (formerly All Rise, home of the much beloved cheeseburger and fries deal
-Jordan Valley - there is a sign on the door that talks about water damage.  I've seen such signs before, and like those other places, there is no repair work going on inside
-NY NY Deli - no great loss, sure, but still.  The location in Mt Washington remains mysteriously open despite nary a customer ever seen within
-Gondola Pizzeria - has closed and been re-opened as yet another Lucy Blue Pizza.  As in, pizza people buy by the slice when they are drunk, mostly.
-Wah Mee - not great chinese but still, we've lost at least a half dozen asian eateries downtown in the past 10 years, and are down to very little selection here.  And they were there forever before that.  Sad.

Tan Thai/downtown expands its menu and lowers prices: Very, very nice.  The counter girl let me see the new menu, and prices are down 10-20% pretty much across the board and selection is MUCH better. 

Paczki's are backI picked up one of each of the three varieties of these Mardi-Gras season donuts offered by Servatii's today, and boy are they good.  Hurry in or you'll miss them.

Ramundo's\Mt Lookout Square: This place has improved by leaps and bounds since I was last there 10-15 years ago.  They sell by the slice, and a very, very good slice it is. They sell a special "ny style" slice at lunch only that I think is a call for NYPizzaNut to investigate.  Fair warning: this is a takeout with one lone extra-tall table and that is usually occupied - plan on takeout if you go.  I will certainly be back

Zip's/Mt Lookout: Proclaimed by man as the best burger in Cincinnati, tho I have never understood.  I give them another chance every few years to impress me.  The cheeseburger this time around was better, thicker, cooked to order - but still not much better than average.  My opinion remains unchanged.  See Ya in 2012 or later, Zip's.

Frisch's Chocolate Cream Pie:
This is by far my favorite item at Frisch's, but they never seem to have it anymore.  I finally called their Customer service line and they told me that it is now available only in two ways: 1) during their "Chocolate Fest" held annually in July, and 2) by the pie by pre-ordering only during Thanksgiving.  Not all locations will even have option 2 available, and the CSR I talked to had no idea what stores did and what stores did not have this available. You just have to call and ask.

Poutine in Cincinnati: Someone PM'ed me to ask where they could get poutine in Cincinnati.  Err, we call that gravy and cheese fries here, right?  Ala Pleasant Ridge Chili?  Seriously - Bard's Burgers in Covington supposed does a respectable rendition of poutine.

Blue Ash Chili is a now a chain: Wanderingjew will love to hear this :-)  http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090130/BIZ01/301300024

DeMeo's\Milford closed
:  Another small Italian place down the tubes.  I visited once, food was better than average, kids liked it too.  The Twenty Brix folks bought the business and are supposedly gonna do something different with the space.

Gravy\Milford: My dad loves a good gravy, and he lives out past Milford, so when he heard this place opened, he hightailed it over there.  He was very disappointed, and says he will not be back.  I don't have specifics yet.

Oriental Wok 2\Hyde Park: I head heard a while back that Oriental Wok in Ft Mitchell was going to take over the space at the regency (corner of Dana and Madison) where Jay's then Napa's used to be and open another higher-end chinese eatery.  I have not heard anything since.  Do any of you get over that way and if so, have you seen any goings-on there?

Teak Thai/Mt Adams: I finally made it in there, and had two appetizers and an entree.  More about sampling a few things than wanting all that much food.  In any case, it was not very good.  I had always heard this was one of the best Thai places in Cincinnati but it was not in my mind even average, and the prices were high.  Can someone explain this place to me?  Do I need to try it again, and if so, what Thai dishes (not interested in sushi, not quite yet) should I try?

Personal request - pan fried chinese pork dumplings: Where can I get the best pan-fried pork dumplings in Cincinnati?  I really like the ones at Young's Kitchen in Mt Washington (so near, so good) but the skins are thicker than I'd like.  I'm not looking for places that simply have them on their menu, but places you've had them and they've rocked.  Let me know :-)
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2009/01/30 19:15:06
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/30 19:22:53 (permalink)
I love the pork dumplings at China Buffet - they are the most delicious ones I have ever had:

China Buffet Eastgate
  (513) 943-7555   4394 Eastgate Square Dr
  Cincinnati, OH  45245
  Info  Map It  
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18652
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/30 20:12:48 (permalink)

If one is absolutely forced to have to partake of anything in the city where pigs fly, is Lucy's still around? Seems to me I recall it had something to do with diamonds.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/30 20:25:38 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
   I wouldn't suggest eating much of anyplace up that way until some sort of thaw comes about. Apparently anyone lucky enough still to possess electricity is indeed a fortunate bird; hear tell folks are boxing some up from those who have it and carrying it down the street to use at home until theirs comes on....
      Living Better Electrically, Ort. Carlton in Brilliantly-Lit Athens, Georgia.
Alco251
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/30 20:32:04 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

If one is absolutely forced to have to partake of anything in the city where pigs fly, is Lucy's still around? Seems to me I recall it had something to do with diamonds.

Wow, that is old-school!  Lucy's in the Sky was the disco in the penthouse of the downtown Holiday Inn (which has changed owners about 6 times since).  I had no idea they served food there, and in any case, they went away with the Bee-Gees. 
Alco251
Hamburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/30 20:35:52 (permalink)
Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
   I wouldn't suggest eating much of anyplace up that way until some sort of thaw comes about. Apparently anyone lucky enough still to possess electricity is indeed a fortunate bird; hear tell folks are boxing some up from those who have it and carrying it down the street to use at home until theirs comes on....
      Living Better Electrically, Ort. Carlton in Brilliantly-Lit Athens, Georgia.

Not at all.  Other than east in Clermont County, outages are sporadic.  The only problems here are walking and driving.  Now Sunday, when it goes above 32 and the ice sheets start sliding off may change the game. 
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/30 20:52:58 (permalink)
Our problem here is ice and snow on the branches of our trees, which hang down and obstruct our long driveway - that and 10 inches of snow and ice on the driveway - this is what one of our dogwood trees looks like today:

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/01/30 20:55:28
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/30 21:11:02 (permalink)
NYP: I think that buffet is closed.  Can you verify it is still open?  

also....will you be checking out Ramundos?  I worry that they are not getting their gasovens hot enough to produce a NY bottom crust char.....
Alco251
Hamburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/01/30 21:26:02 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

NYP: I think that buffet is closed.  Can you verify it is still open?  

Just called, they are open at 10:30 am tomorrow.

Page: << < ..6162636465.. > >> Showing page 65 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1