AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..6667686970.. > >> Showing page 67 of 110
Author
ShellyR
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/13 09:26:47 (permalink)
Hi!  I'm fairly new here, but I managed to read all 66 pages of comments over the past few months and wanted to thank everyone who posted.  My husband and I have found some tasty food as a result of your reviews.  Thank you!

I have an offering and a request.

The offering:  We tried Wings Xtreme in Sharonville last week with some mixed results. 

Pros: The wings are meaty.  The sauces and salad dressings are homemade.  The Garlic Parmesan flavor was really good, with real cheese in it.  Potato skins had freshly cooked bacon on them.   The husband (TH) loved the fried mushrooms and his orange sesame wings.   They deliver.

Cons: Honey BBQ was like sugar water, pretty tasteless.  TH said the Xtreme wings weren't that hot, but then he is insane about heat and all macho about it.

In the middle on:  The owner/waitress talks.  A lot.  About everything.  You want to know where the sour cream came from for the ranch salad dressing, just wait a few minutes and she'll get to it.  But she's very nice.   It seems to be copying BW3's in terms of menu items, but TH and I think it's better if only because it's fresh, and the wings are cooked properly.   But nothing we tried beats NOTG's Voodoo Wings.

My request:  (don't yell at me!):  A pizza place.  I've not had one good pizza since I came to Cincinnati 29 years ago.  I've tried everywhere I come across.  One place came close, a small pizza joint 20 years ago in the same strip mall as Fort Wright Family Restaurant (which used to have the worlds best goetta/homefries breakfast but I've not been back for a while).  But that pizza place is long gone.

What I like:   Thin crust, slightly crispy on the outside, chewy.  Not soft.  Not too heavy and doughy, not like crackers, not like a common loaf of bread.  Tomato sauce:  Having some body to it, the flavor both tangy and sweet (but not too sweet) with garlic and oregano.  Cheese:  it's hard to mess cheese up, just no cheddar or Velveeta (sorry I had a flashback to my childhood and one of my father's "pizza" monstrosities), and cooked so it's got a little brown to it and isn't just a pale melted mess.   Homemade Italian sausage would be a plus.

I've read all the pizza reviews here but I can't tell whose pizza is what kind.  I really don't want deep dish or anything approaching LaRosa's, which is too sweet and bread-like for my tastes.  Oh, and I live in Mason so anything up that way would be great.  But I'm willing to drive.

Phew, this is long.  Sorry about that.  Thanks for any suggestions!  And thanks again for the great food tips!
Euched
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/13 09:38:46 (permalink)
I too have recently been to Wings Xtreme.  As Shelly said above their food isn't bad and the wings do have a lot of meat on them, but they are definitely not the best wings that I have ever had either....which were actually at a bar called Wingers in Bellefontaine, OH.  The Xtreme wings of any flavor are not all that spicy, but they are flavorful and tasty.  They offer curly fries and waffle fries, of which both are good, but nothing special.  The guys I work with and I have added it to our short list of places to eat lunch and we are driving from Blue Ash to get there, so that says something about them...  The people that work there are nice and the service is MUCH faster than BW3s has ever been in my experience.

On another note...  I was driving down Reading Rd. in Reading the other day and noticed that there is a BBQ place in a small building next to a car wash.  I believe it used to be an ice cream place, but I am not 100% sure of that.  Anyways, I was wondering if anybody has ever been there?  I am sorry, I did not catch the name of the place even though the speed limit is slower than a tortoise driving through Reading.  Thanks in advance if anybody knows where I am talking about...
post edited by Euched - 2009/02/13 09:42:42
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4558
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/13 09:48:25 (permalink)
Looks like Betta's (a small but venerable italian restaurant) in Mt Lookout Square closed sometime over the course of the winter, though I have no idea exactly when
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/13 11:34:50 (permalink)
TJ,

There is a Betta's on Montgomery Rd. in Norwood, near the Evanston side, by Stones Bowling Lanes.  They have recently expanded, so maybe the owners are focusing on that location.  I'm pretty sure the DeLuca family {related to the owners of Sorrento's?} own the place.  And the food is very good.  I will try to get there soon to review it.

http://cityguide.aol.com/cincinnati/restaurants/bettas-italian-oven/v-131052

BETTA'S Italian Oven
3764 Montgomery Rd
Cincinnati, OH 45212
(513) 631-6836

AND TO SHELLY R~

Betta's has a stone hearth to cook their pizzas.  Their pizza is pretty darned good. 

And, have you tried Pomodori's in Clifton/University Heights?  Try the wood-fired pizzas, not the traditional. http://www.campusfood.com/menu/items.asp?restid=3015&campusid=383

What about Dewey's?  I think they have the best pizza, but I like more unique pizzas.   http://www.deweyspizza.com/

I am a native Cincinnatian, so I really don't have much to compare these pizzas with.  I don't like LaRosa's, Pizza Hut, Papa John's or Domino's, so anything different than these is good with me.

Welcome to Roadfood, and good luck with your pizza search!!
ShellyR
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/13 12:46:35 (permalink)
@Snooycue520

I've not even heard of Betta's.  I'll give them a look.  Thanks!

I had tried Pomodori's a couple of times back when it first opened up (that dates me, doesn't it?) and while they weren't bad, they weren't what I was searching for.  That's about 25 years ago though I think, so I don't remember the details.  

Dewey's is the best option at this end of town that I know of.  Their crust is pretty darned good.  But on the pizzas I've bought at least, they have always skimped on toppings, and the toppings themselves have been pretty tasteless.  So while they're better than others, I am still looking for that perfect pizza. 

I guess I was spoiled (after getting past my father's Chef-Boy-R-Dee bologna/Velveeta nightmare pizzas).  My family helped out an Italian immigrant who opened the first Italian restaurant in our small town in the 60s.  The man made everything by hand.  I remember being amazed watching him roll out strands of spaghetti with just his hands.  Over about 15 years he introduced me to real pizza, fresh pasta, Italian cured meats and sausages and real cheeses and olives, and some really wonderful dishes.  I've never found any to match. 

But then it's hard to match a memory like that.  I may be chasing rainbows.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/13 15:38:31 (permalink)
Dewey's for me is the best NY style  pizza in greater Cinci as is Troni's in Kettering for greater Dayton.

I never voluntarily order pizza with toppings so I have no comment about how good or bad they might be.

I have been to Betta's in Norwood - if you are going there looking for a NY style pizza pie do not bother - they are plain awful.

For me a NY style pizza pie has to be thin crust - one you can pick up and eat without folding - it is crispy and chewy - not soft, as ShellyR mentions above - Dewey's and Troni's deliver.
Alco251
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/13 23:03:43 (permalink)
 Shelly, try MVPizza at the King's Island exit off I-71 north.  I think it might be close to what you are looking for.
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/14 18:24:49 (permalink)
I mentioned a few pages back of a new Mexican restaurant opening in the former German butcher's store on Dixie Highway in Elsmere, KY.  A sign went up this week announcing an openiing date of February 23rd.
Time for Pie
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/15 13:56:49 (permalink)
Hi folks!  I haven't checked in since I got back from my Christmas trip to Cincy, so I've accumulated some comments. ;)

Sherry, you might try The Works in downtown Loveland, just off Loveland Avenue on Railroad street.  They use a wood fired brick oven and cook them very hot.  Crispy and delicious.  I'm non-dairy though so I can't comment on the quality of their cheese(s).  If you get over to try it, please report back. 

Ahh, Lucy's In the Sky.  I only visited once, in 1988...but I met my (now) wife there that night!  We would have gone back for anniversaries, but since it is just a conference room now, it's not the same.  I was in the room once before when it was the Little Foxes lounge...a kinda knockoff Playboy club with girls dressed in skimpy santa-ish cosutmes.  I was there that time with a photography class taught by former Cincinnati studio photographer Rob Paris.  We were there to do extended night exposures of downtown.

Glad to hear that N.O. to Go might be back...I still need to try that place.  It's on the list for my next trip to town. 
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/15 14:01:16 (permalink)
No "might" about it - it will be open on or about MARCH 4TH.
ShellyR
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/18 06:56:56 (permalink)
Alco251

Shelly, try MVPizza at the King's Island exit off I-71 north.  I think it might be close to what you are looking for.

Thanks!

We tried this on Sunday and it was pretty darned good.  My husband actually loved it (Italian guy, grew up in a town with fantastic Italian food) and thought it close to what he'd get at home.  The only thing I wished is that the hoagies were crispy not soggy, though they tasted very good.  The pizza's flavor was great too, and the crust's texture was different than any I'd had in Cinci but very good.  The manager (/owner?) was very accommodating and nice as well.  We'll definitely go back.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/23 10:31:04 (permalink)
Does MVPizza still do carryout only?  Can you describe the crust texture?
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/23 21:55:15 (permalink)
Ghaz

I mentioned a few pages back of a new Mexican restaurant opening in the former German butcher's store on Dixie Highway in Elsmere, KY.  A sign went up this week announcing an openiing date of February 23rd.

Without even trying the Mexican place.....

BRING BACK "Oh Mama Das ist gut"  they had a great selection of sausages and foods

BillyZoom
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/24 13:40:57 (permalink)
CajunKing

Ghaz

Without even trying the Mexican place.....

BRING BACK "Oh Mama Das ist gut"  they had a great selection of sausages and foods

Oh BOY do I agree! Does anyone know what happened to German Cusine?

Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/25 00:00:40 (permalink)
It's been closed for over a year.  Here's TJ's mention of it in this thread (thanks to new forum software):

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?high=German+Cuisine&m=462476&mpage=37#471099
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/26 14:57:01 (permalink)
For our fellow Cincinnatians and tri-staters

FISH FRY FRIDAY

Here is the link to where you can get your Lenten Fish

Cincinnati Area Fish Frys - 2009
ShellyR
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/28 16:12:12 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Does MVPizza still do carryout only?  Can you describe the crust texture?

It was carryout and delivery only, no dine in.

The crust texture is really hard to describe.  My husband and I tried to put it into words but couldn't.  It wasn't quite what I was looking for but I found it pleasing.  It's thin, a bit like a chewy bread crust maybe?  It looks a bit like a cracker, with thin layers of dough and air in it, but doesn't at all have a cracker texture. 

It's loaded with toppings that were fresh, (I know you said you don't get toppings but for anyone else reading this...).  They were placed under the cheese, which I don't really like but it tasted good so I didn't really care.

We're going back to Dewey's tomorrow night to try them again.  I'm going with the plain cheese this time.

Has anyone tried that new organic place at the Tylersville exit?  I'm really curious about that one. 
Chi-nnati's Pizza
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/28 17:17:57 (permalink)
 I'm getting ready to open a new pizza place in Cincinnati!  You're going to love the pizza if you like Chicago Deep Dish.  And we'll have a great thin crust also.  We're opening in late April near the Kenwood mall on Montgomery and Hosbrook.  I hope you like it!
Alco251
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/28 17:25:40 (permalink)
Chi-nnati's Pizza

I'm getting ready to open a new pizza place in Cincinnati!  You're going to love the pizza if you like Chicago Deep Dish.  And we'll have a great thin crust also.  We're opening in late April near the Kenwood mall on Montgomery and Hosbrook.  I hope you like it!

Are you in the old Jalapenos location or the Steakhouse? 
Chi-nnati's Pizza
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/28 17:26:38 (permalink)
 Yes, old Jalapeno's space.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/28 21:31:04 (permalink)
Chi-nnati's Pizza

Is your user handle the name of your place?  Can you explain its derivation?  Will your thin crust resemble NY pizza crust?

Ghaz
Hamburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/28 22:58:39 (permalink)
I believe that the old Lone Star Steakhouse there at Montgomery and Holsbrook was torn down when I was through there about a moth ago.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/02/28 23:23:47 (permalink)
CajunKing

For our fellow Cincinnatians and tri-staters

FISH FRY FRIDAY

Here is the link to where you can get your Lenten Fish

Cincinnati Area Fish Frys - 2009

Thank you, CajunKing!  The fish fry list is a classic Greater Cincinnati harbinger of spring.   I'm contemplating hitting the Edgewood F.D., the Florence Elks, and maybe. Mary Queen of Heaven.   Almost makes me want to petition for a plenary indulgence!
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/01 00:56:02 (permalink)
Our lunchbunch hit the Karma Asian Bistro in Anderson Township this past Thursday.  We enjoyed it very much.  Here is a recent review that probably explains their food much better than I can:

http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/article-17277-was-this-a-rest-review-or-a-sly-way-of-telling-re.html

Polly Campbell also reviewed  the place this past Friday for the weekender section of the Enquirer and offers another good review:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090226/ENT01/902270316/-1/TODAY

The owners have their website up also which include menus and prices etc:

http://www.karmaasianbistro.com/

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/03/01 01:10:01
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 247
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/01 23:33:44 (permalink)
Good news about New Orleans to Go. It will be especially nice having them back for Lent. We still need to get everyone here together for lunch there someday.

My wife and I have been to Noce's Pizzeria a couple of times over the past month. It's nice to have a place nearby with garlic knots on the menu, even if they aren't great (and the marinara sauce they serve with them is terrible). Something about the sauce they use on the pizza is just slightly off as well, but we enjoy the pies on the whole. If you are a toppings person, the Mattie Deluxe is great.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1184
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/02 11:54:50 (permalink)
dlawson

Good news about New Orleans to Go. It will be especially nice having them back for Lent. We still need to get everyone here together for lunch there someday.

My wife and I have been to Noce's Pizzeria a couple of times over the past month. It's nice to have a place nearby with garlic knots on the menu, even if they aren't great (and the marinara sauce they serve with them is terrible). Something about the sauce they use on the pizza is just slightly off as well, but we enjoy the pies on the whole. If you are a toppings person, the Mattie Deluxe is great.

By Gum dave, you're right.

As soon as we know they're reopened, let's all agree on a date, call 'em and meet and eat face to face one Friday for lunch!
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1184
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/02 12:14:45 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Our lunchbunch hit the Karma Asian Bistro in Anderson Township this past Thursday.  We enjoyed it very much.  Here is a recent review that probably explains their food much better than I can:

http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/article-17277-was-this-a-rest-review-or-a-sly-way-of-telling-re.html

Polly Campbell also reviewed  the place this past Friday for the weekender section of the Enquirer and offers another good review:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090226/ENT01/902270316/-1/TODAY

The owners have their website up also which include menus and prices etc:

http://www.karmaasianbistro.com/

Oh man. That looks really good. I'm adding that to our list of places to try.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/02 23:41:42 (permalink)
I went to Gordo's last week to try their burger.  The owner worked for the Jean-Robert Group, and opened this restaurant in a former "dive" bar in Norwood.  The burgers are shaped into a large ball.  I ordered the "Gordo" burger with mushrooms, sauteed onion, roasted poblano peppers, bacon & boursin cheese.  I substituted augratin potatoes for the fries.  Although it wasn't quite as good as Terry's Turf Club's burger, this was still a very good burger.  My camera's batteries only last for a few shots.

The food was good, but the service left much to be desired.  I thought they had a website, or on-line menu, but I cannot find either right now.

Gordo's Pub & Grill
4328 Montgomery Rd
Norwood, OH 45212
(513) 351-1999

EDITED to add link to Restaurant.com page, with menu:
http://www.restaurant.com/microsite.asp?rid=345603&mcn=00048615

post edited by soozycue520 - 2009/03/02 23:59:10
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/03 06:40:38 (permalink)

How did you eat that burger??
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/03/03 11:56:37 (permalink)
Actually, I took off the top bun, and ate it with a fork & knife.  Actually, with some manuevering, it is quite possible to pick it up to eat it.  I saw some people doing it!!
Page: << < ..6667686970.. > >> Showing page 67 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1