AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..7172737475.. > >> Showing page 73 of 111
Author
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 539
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/20 14:39:53 (permalink)
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/20 14:45:14 (permalink)
jjjrfoodie

There's a new BBQ place in town called BevisBBQ
http://www.bevisbbq.com/

Does the sign out front look like this? 

post edited by Bonk - 2009/05/20 14:50:29
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/21 10:03:06 (permalink)
The Latte' Da coffe shop in Hebron has been closed.  A Jimmy John's is coming in it's place.
PAinOH
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/21 11:34:55 (permalink)
Question: Is something up again at NOLA to Go? Anyone know their full hours?

Hubby and I finally were out that way, but they were closed. Very sad. Ended up eating Penn Station. Felt sick afterward, as usual!

Someone mentioned the newest Lucy Blue downtown. First time I had it, it was great...amazing even. Chewy, flavorful, bubbly crust, lots of pepperoni, good cheese, sauce was not an issue like a lot of places. Since then we have eaten it almost every Friday night for the last 2 months. I love that oregano crust, and we live super close. Sadly, we have been on a quest to get that same 1st pizza. The 20-something (no knocks to 20-somethings...I am one still) who works weekend nights doesn't put a lot of love into his pizza-making. We keep giving it a chance to redeem, but I am getting frustrated. A few weeks ago they were overcooked, and now, last week's pies were MUCH smaller with less pepperoni. Tried in Mt. Lookout a few times too...they seem more consistent.

Walt's BBQ-- What region does it represent? Texas? Carolina? Memphis? I never hear people talk about that when they mention "good" BBQ. It is important with BBQ because people like very different things!
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1193
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/27 13:26:09 (permalink)
City Barbeque:

I had occasion to try it again at a private party over the weekend. Nothing served to improve my former poor opinion.

Pork: not terribly tender, not to the fall-apart stage. No discernible smoke ring in the pulled meat anywhere, outside meat not crisp / chewy enough. Very little discernible smoke flavor.

Chicken: soft, even mushy texture. All white meat (leading me to believe the chicken is not smoked whole). No smoke flavor at all.

Sides: Indifferent green beans. OK potato salad. Good pickles.

Pass it by.

post edited by jmckee - 2009/05/27 13:50:14
PAinOH
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/27 18:27:21 (permalink)
Oh, and TJ mentioned Gilpin's Bagel and Deli (37 E 7th St) a few weeks ago, and I wanted to say it is definitely a good downtown spot to try! For me, it made Brueggers look so very sad!

I've had lunch twice with my hubby in the last 2 weeks, and first plus was that we both ate for under $14. That included bagel sandwiches, chips (they have those yummy Mrs. Vickie's kettle ones too), soda, and a cookie for both! Almost can't beat that with a stick!

1) Steaming your bagel is nearly a must, but I don't think I recommend it if you get a lot of veggies. They don't steam with the veggies on, but it hubby has convinced me that it ruins the "effect." You can also do your combo on a sub bun, wrap, and as a salad.

2) Almost everything is fresh. Big chunky meats, nice bagels in a ton of varieties. Cookie are soft...GET THEM STEAMED. A cookie will never be the same!

3) The staff is pretty awesome. A bunch of good younger fellas that are polite and friendly and will give you honest feedback about your bagel creation. They know what they are talking about, so if you don't know what to get, ask!

Website is up with menu: http://eatgbad.com/default.php. Also, they have some customer & staff favorite combos that you can get. Not a whole lot of room to sit, but they have a few bar-style seats in the window. Also, for those who live downtown or frequent the area at night, notice they are open until 3am on Friday and Saturday night!

Will post pics next time!

Anyone know the status of the Ben & Jerry's in Clifton?
post edited by PAinOH - 2009/05/27 18:30:15
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/27 18:47:07 (permalink)
Marx Bagels in Blue Ash is the only place I would buy bagels or bialys in this area.  They make the best of the best but be sure they don't short you one on their baker's dozen, like they have done to me recently!
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/27 18:50:48 (permalink)
jmckee

City Barbeque:

I had occasion to try it again at a private party over the weekend. Nothing served to improve my former poor opinion.

Pork: not terribly tender, not to the fall-apart stage. No discernible smoke ring in the pulled meat anywhere, outside meat not crisp / chewy enough. Very little discernible smoke flavor.

Chicken: soft, even mushy texture. All white meat (leading me to believe the chicken is not smoked whole). No smoke flavor at all.

Pass it by.
Don't forget about the new BBQ place up the road from City, just past Golden Corral - as reported on here previously recently.  I never had better brisket anywhere.

Moreland87
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/27 21:22:47 (permalink)
Hi!  I'm looking for a Mexican restaraunt in the Northern KY or Cincinnati area, similar to Jalapeno's.  The ones in Lexington are just not the same & really not worth the drive!!!  And believe me, if it were as good as the one in Kenwood was, we would gladly drive to Lexi for some good salsa!

I'm looking for somewhere with awesome  (AND FRESH) salsa and chips, good queso, beans & rice, tacos, etc.

Can anyone help???

We've been to all the places in Florence (none are even close in comparison) and Montoya's off Buttermilk (salsa was horrid).  And we've driven to Lexington a few times just to get our fix, but like I said, they aren't worth the drive.

Any other suggestions??

I wish I could get ahold of the former owners of the Jalapeno's in Kenwood... when they closed last year, they told us they were going to open another location in Mason, but I haven't heard anything else about that.  We were frequent customers there, at least once every other week and we'd drive from Florence!!!
Alco251
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/27 22:30:02 (permalink)
Moreland87

Hi!  I'm looking for a Mexican restaraunt in the Northern KY or Cincinnati area, similar to Jalapeno's.  The ones in Lexington are just not the same & really not worth the drive!!!  And believe me, if it were as good as the one in Kenwood was, we would gladly drive to Lexi for some good salsa!

Is it safe to assume you tried Montoya's and found it wanting?

Moreland87
Junior Burger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/27 22:55:39 (permalink)
Yes, we've been to Montoya's and didn't care for it much... I don't think their salsa was fresh.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4609
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/28 01:08:45 (permalink)
My favorite mexi-merican place is Acapulco in Fairfield....I've always liked Rio Grande in Newport as well.  Neither are "authentic" mexican, just good eats.

btw, are you http://cincinnatibites.com?  Regardless, welcome to Roadfood!
Moreland87
Junior Burger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/28 09:05:07 (permalink)
No I'm not Cincinnati Bites... but I could have written his blog about Jalapeno's!!! LOL

Just another big fan of the old place.  Wish it would come back.  I should start a "bring back Jalapeno's campaign!"
westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/28 09:22:46 (permalink)

The last time I was at Gilpin's, they were using Marx bagels.
westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/28 09:25:00 (permalink)
I've been to the City BBQ in Hyde Park frequently and found the food to be very good.  The pork always has a very nice pink ring on it, as do the other meats.  I've never had the catering so I can't comment there.  But I would not give up on them yet - try the in store food sometime.  At least the one in Hyde Park has always been top notch.

jmckee

City Barbeque:

Pass it by.

phunkykell
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/28 10:12:03 (permalink)

Anyone know the status of the Ben & Jerry's in Clifton?

Ben and Jerry's in Clifton is closed.
post edited by phunkykell - 2009/05/28 10:13:22
Moreland87
Junior Burger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/28 12:14:31 (permalink)
Anyone ever watch Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives?? 

If Guy Fieri were coming to Cincinnati/Northern KY, what 3 places would you suggest he go to and why?
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/28 14:25:22 (permalink)
Dictator

TJ Jackson

My favorite mexi-merican place is Acapulco in Fairfield....I've always liked Rio Grande in Newport as well.  Neither are "authentic" mexican, just good eats.

btw, are you http://cincinnatibites.com?  Regardless, welcome to Roadfood!

Not to contradict TJ Jackson, but the wife and I have tried Acapulco's a couple of times and we were a little bit underwhelmed.  We very much prefer Cinco de Mayo (formerly Casa Tequila), also in Fairfield.  We love just about everything about it, including the fact that the chips are served with both a bowl of salsa and a bowl of hot bean dip.  And the queso fundido and queso flameado are both the best we've ever had.
Our lunchbunch is planning a visit there soon (next week is the nearby Green Plantain)..we had been to the previous two restaurants there.. the Mexican one and Stacy's Buffet ..both of which were mighty fine..we still go to the Stacy's in Wilmington (with the Burke sign out front - they never replaced the Stacy's sign which has covered it - which blew off in a storm one day a couple years back).  Stacy's has some mighty fine fried chicken among other great food.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/29 14:03:27 (permalink)
OK we cleaned up another series of dumb posts here.  You folks need to take your frustrations to email or Private Message. Do not post this kind of junk again...and do not quote the junk in a response.
Some members have been warned and will be locked out if they continue to post nonsense.

AL
Moreland87
Junior Burger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/05/29 18:37:49 (permalink)
Just to let everyone know, we tried the Taquero Jalisco (new Mexican place in Erlanger on Dixie Hwy in the old German Butcher place) and the salsa was pretty darn good, but the food was not.  It was pretty comparible to all of the other Mexican joints in the Florence area (Rio Grande, Real Fiesta, etc), but with better salsa.

We probably won't go back.
vudutu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/06/03 09:36:22 (permalink)
Moreland87

Anyone ever watch Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives?? 

If Guy Fieri were coming to Cincinnati/Northern KY, what 3 places would you suggest he go to and why?

Terrys' Turf, and Tuckers to start
vudutu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/06/03 09:46:54 (permalink)
Here goes the best Mex in the Cincy argument again,

"Mexican restaraunt in the Northern KY or Cincinnati area, similar to Jalapeno's"

Best similar to would be Rio Grande in Newport shopping center, always packed, someone is making some serious buckolas there. Anyone know the owners?

"I'm looking for somewhere with awesome  (AND FRESH) salsa and chips, good queso, beans & rice, tacos, etc."

So is everyone else, closest is La Mexicana also in Newport

"Montoya's off Buttermilk" I'll second that suck comment

for more info google my handle and Mex and check out the reviews of both of the above suggestions at

http://winemedinemecincinnati.com/

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/06/03 21:31:36 (permalink)
I know a lot of people don't like Chinese buffets, but we tried ChinaTown Buffet in Milford on Saturday and thought it was very good.

Big selection of food, everything was fresh. Cost about $13 a person for dinner but it was well worth it. I don't mind paying a little extra for good Chinese, and buffets work best for us because my gf is sort of new to the experience and also kind of a picky eater. 
johnbycz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/06/04 11:48:45 (permalink)
I love Chinese buffets. Where in Milford?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/06/04 18:16:03 (permalink)
In an attempt to preserve the story, since the Enquirer sends articles to oblivion in less than 2 months (near as i can tell) here's is Polly Campbell's recent article about Cincinnati-style Chili.  Link (which may well stop being functional after a while): http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090503/ENT01/905170302/-1/today/Area+has+taste+all+its+own+++Chili

Area has taste all its own: Chili
By Polly Campbell • May 3, 2009

All across this country, people are eating the same lunch in the same fast-food restaurants that have sprawled everywhere you go.

But here in Greater Cincinnati, we're crazy for a fast food that you can't find anywhere else, a unique specialty that is "one of the nation's most distinctive plates of regional food," as roaming road food writers Jane and Michael Stern say in their upcoming book "500 Things to Eat Before It's Too Late."

We have Cincinnati-style chili, that improbable culinary creation and emotional fixation on an oval plate.

Other local specialties have spread out from their birthplaces: You don't need to go to Buffalo to get Buffalo chicken wings, or to Philadelphia for a cheesesteak. But to try a four-way, you mostly have to head to a 50-mile-wide target whose bull's-eye is probably somewhere near Boudinot and Glenway avenues.

No one else really "gets" it. People from other cities think it's weird, in fact. How can we call it chili, they snicker, when it's more the texture of spaghetti sauce, and in fact is ladled over spaghetti? What's with the cinnamon?

There are historical answers to those questions.

First, you have to remember that it started as a hot dog sauce. And that its spice palate is not, like Texas chili, Mexican-inspired. It's Greek. It is a complex, warm spice blend of cinnamon and cumin and probably coriander and ... well, no one knows what else, as every chili recipe is by tradition secret and carefully guarded. The Greek salad you often can get on the side, and the common combination of chili and gyro parlor are the other hints of the chili's origin.

To be specific, we should say Cincinnati chili is Macedonian. The fathers of Cincinnati chili, the Kiradjieffs, came here from Macedonia, then part of Greece. John and Tom immigrated to New York in 1920, where they sold hot dogs, improving them with a ground-meat sauce they spiced with flavors that were familiar to them from home. When they moved to Cincinnati in 1922, they opened a little place next to Empress Theater downtown and started serving the sauce on noodles as well as hot dogs. At some point, they added cheese and the optional onions and beans.

Cincinnatians embraced the Kiradjieffs' invention, and the variations on it from others, such as the Lambrinides and Sarakatsannis and Kostopoulos and Bazoff families. We haven't let go since. Chili here is no quaint historical tradition - it is a way of life, or at least a way of lunch.

We have an extraordinary emotional connection to our chili, eating 2 million pounds of it a year, and to our particular brand. If you're new to this area, a warning: Don't stand between a Cincinnatian and his or her five-way. You won't get stampeded; you will simply get walked over - repeatedly, as we travel a well-worn path from our office or home to our favorite parlor, often several times a week. (We might even pass or drive by one or two others to get to the one we consider "ours," even if it's the same chain. The Clifton Skyline is not the same as one in Anderson Township.)

We devise our own special ways to vary our order beyond the usual three-, four- and five-way by asking for more or less cheese, on the bottom or on the side, or getting creative with the hexagonal crackers that always come with it.

And something you may notice about those out-of-towners who visit or move here and get all snotty about the chili: They come around. After a few months, you'll see them with the bib tied on, engaging in arguments about the relative merits of Pleasant Ridge and Price Hill chili, and cutting their spaghetti with a fork.

Time for Pie
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/06/08 19:07:56 (permalink)
Nice synopsis by Polly.  Very true.  I really miss having Cincy chili 2-3 times a week.  Haven't had any since my Christmas visit.  Still working on an authentic - to my taste buds - recipe, but I'm not there yet.  When I get it right, I will sell it in my shop!  Come to Missouri for your Cincinnati Chili.  ;)

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/06/08 19:36:36 (permalink)
johnbycz

I love Chinese buffets. Where in Milford?

Get off at Exit 57 of I-275, go east and turn left immediately to stay on Ohio 28. It's about a mile up on the right. There's a car dealership across the street. SuperShopper magazine has coupons good through this month.
bigcat39
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/06/09 06:18:15 (permalink)
Can anyone confirm or deny that New Orleans to Go has closed? The phone isn't disconnected. I live 100 miles away, Can't just pop down and check! I will be very sad if it's true......
*edit*
I dropped LaToya an email and got a prompt response!
"
Greetings! We have not gone out of business. I was on maternity leave earlier this year, and reopened March 11th. Our hours are: Wed.,Th., 11:30 a.m. until 7:30 p.m., Fri., 11:30a.m until 8:30 p.m and Sat. noon until 8:30.(sometimes later) Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks and have a great day!"

I'm relieved! Great people, great food. It's our regular "after Ikea" stop
post edited by bigcat39 - 2009/06/09 06:35:46
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/06/11 09:39:34 (permalink)
Not that I'd consider LaRosa's to be roadfood or good eats, but I know a lot of other folks do like this place -- so it's worth mentioning here that LaRosa's was reviewed by Slice today. 

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/06/larosas-pizza-cincinnati-ohio-oh-review.html
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/06/11 11:10:16 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

Not that I'd consider LaRosa's to be roadfood or good eats, but I know a lot of other folks do like this place -- so it's worth mentioning here that LaRosa's was reviewed by Slice today. 

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/06/larosas-pizza-cincinnati-ohio-oh-review.html

I read that yesterday and I think he was spot on with his review.
Page: << < ..7172737475.. > >> Showing page 73 of 111
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1