AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..7677787980.. > >> Showing page 80 of 110
Author
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3142
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/10/23 14:02:40 (permalink)
Noce's pizza crust is tasteless mush.  Dewey's makes the effort to make their crust somewhat similar to a NY crust.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 248
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/10/25 21:08:48 (permalink)
Finally, some progress on KoSho's Northside location. The facade has been painted, blinds have been hung, and a makeshift sign has been placed in the window. No indication yet on an opening date or hours of operation, however.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4583
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/02 13:26:45 (permalink)
A few downtown notes

Fins and Feathers has finally opened after their sign went up something like a two years ago.  This is on Garfield, more or less on the sw corner of 8th and Vine.  Menu does not appear to be much of a match for the name - hot dogs, sandwiches, soups, chili.  Looks like they have a limited breakfast selection as well.  Carryout only, no seating.  The one interesting sounding item on the menu is pizza puffs for 1.25 each.  I will check those out sometime this week

My once-beloved Tan Thai on Court Street is now Bangkok Express.  The menu is very similar to Tan Thai's, but has expanded a bit (green curry is back, for example) and the prices are 50 cents to a dollar less, mostly.  Also, scallops is an available protein.  It looks like the staff has been replaced entirely.  I picked up Thai fried rice today and it was decently good, and I will check a few other dishes and get back to you all.  Cautiously optimistic.

Sahara Cafe (once All Rise Cafe) is now a bail bonds shop.

I might have mentioned this sometime back, but a sushi joint is being put in where the old Churchill's Tea Room was on 4th on the ground floor of the Carew Tower

also

NYPIzzaNut
Noce's pizza crust is tasteless mush.  Dewey's makes the effort to make their crust somewhat similar to a NY crust.

Noce's crust is quite good, nothing remotely like mush.  Perhaps you should revisit and re-evaluate?

Dewey's on the other hand is very average....crust, sauce toppings, the works.

All IMHO
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2009/11/02 13:30:21
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/02 18:54:48 (permalink)
ZZ's Pizza is open.  I haven't been there yet, but will update when I do.
KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/03 12:33:48 (permalink)
This is the complete opposite of Road Food, but I ate ate Red in Hyde Park square last night.

We each had 1 glass of wine, (it was half price wine night). I had the petite filet oscar, and she had the sea scallops. We weren't in the mood for a huge meal, so no apps, no sides, no salads, no dessert. (Everything is now a la carte, despite what their online menu says.)

Everything was excellent. However, the $88 bill with tip was a bit steep considering no sides or salads.  Maybe that explains why there were only about  6 tables full in the place.  When the Precinct looks like a bargain, you might be overpriced.

The actual food was outstanding.  If I had lottery money, I'd eat at this place a lot.

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 532
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/03 17:42:26 (permalink)
They're putting a Butterbee's in where Tony Roma's used to be on Beechmont Ave. in Union Twp.

I've heard good things about the Mount Orab location. Menu looks like American food with some barbeque mixed in.

http://www.butterbeesgrille.com/location.php
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/03 19:54:14 (permalink)
the menu seems kinda commercial......like they're setting up to franchise?

hoping I am wrong
Alco251
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/03 20:14:10 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

the menu seems kinda commercial......like they're setting up to franchise?

hoping I am wrong

Just what America needs, another fast casual chain.  " />
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/03 21:32:54 (permalink)
well, to be fair - as i said before, I hope I am wrong -- I have never been there. 

I am merely hoping the slick layout of the menus and the cutesy names of the items - very much like certain other national franchises - is not indicative that the quality of their food is also similar to those same national chains.

I'm sure we'll try it at some point, since that new location is under 4 miles from Casa de la Jackson
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2009/11/03 21:53:13
wesleyman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/03 21:49:48 (permalink)
Taco Trucks coming to cincinnati?  http://cincinnati.com/blo...trucks-no-taco-trucks/
Captain Howdy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/04 00:47:24 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

NYPIzzaNut

Noce's crust is quite good, nothing remotely like mush.  Perhaps you should revisit and re-evaluate?

Dewey's on the other hand is very average....crust, sauce toppings, the works.

All IMHO

Can't speak for Noce's crust (haven't tried it yet, but will, most assuredly), but your characterization of Dewey's crust is, on the other hand, quite off the mark.
Captain Howdy
Hamburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/04 00:51:51 (permalink)
Bonk

They're putting a Butterbee's in where Tony Roma's used to be on Beechmont Ave. in Union Twp.

I've heard good things about the Mount Orab location. Menu looks like American food with some barbeque mixed in.

Eh, can't get past the cutesy names for the food items.  Plus, not a sports bar aficionado, at all.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/04 09:39:08 (permalink)
Me neither, but their Country Inn Restaurant in Mt Orab is one of my favorite places for fried chicken and soups and home made desserts.
westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/04 10:54:28 (permalink)
Butterbee's?  Are you kidding me?  Why don't they just call it TGI Saturday's and get it over with.

Bonk

KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/05 13:21:36 (permalink)
Maybe it's just me, but one of my pet peeves is the useless "e" at the end of words that really shouldn't have it. 

A "grille" is not a food related term.  What you have there (maybe) is a grill. 

The menu reminds me of Tickets in Covington, which is far from a chain joint, though I think their quality has slipped some over the last 10 years.
Suburban Dad
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/09 21:19:08 (permalink)
Tried the Noce's location in Montgomery and must say was very impressed. Had a lunch special of 2 special pizza slices and drink for $5.99.  Had the Noce's and 4 cheese.  Both were excellent.  Crust may be the best I have had in the city, much better than Dewey's (confirmed by all six dining).  If one thing is lacking, it is the sauce.  Fairly bland and thin.  The garlic/oil used on the four cheese was delicious.  If you like pizza, I would definitely recommend trying this place.  They are willing to cook the slices to your liking as well as I requested well done.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 532
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/12 19:35:21 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

After several extremely good dining experiences, I now want to unequivocally recommend Campbell's Barn to everyone

http://www.campbellsbarn.com/

Basic american fare for the most part with a few pastas sprinkled in, all wonderful.  We have yet to have even an OK meal here, everything has ranged from good to excellent

I have had both of their two specialties - fried chicken and prime rib - and both are excellent.  The wife was particularly impressed that the breast was juicy and tender, when white meat tends to come out a lot drier.  Also, the chicken is cooked to order, so expect to wait.  The prime rib could use just a tad more seasoning, but Ill definitely order it again

We were also extremely impressed with the vegetables and desserts, expecially the sweet potato fries and the blackberry cobbler, which I daresay was the best I have ever had.

If you're on the east side, check your coupon magazines (Reach etc), as I know they have a 8 dollar off coupon in circulation right now

We finally got there on Sunday, and we were extremely impressed.

Good lord is their chicken good. Somehow the skin is done well enough that it resembles crispy turkey skin, yet like TJ says, the white meat is still incredibly juicy.

We started with fried pickles, which for $6 was four regular sized spears with spicy ranch. The breading was excellent, as was the ranch. It was a thick breading, and very flavorful. The ranch had a late spicy kick.

I got the tenders, which were $10 and came with two sides, and I had the jalepeno scalloped potatoes and the sweet potato fries. The GF got the four-piece chicken dinner, and got cole slaw and onion rings.

I thought the tenders were great, but not quite as good as the fried chicken (I ate the breast out of the four-piece, since Cathy doesn't like white meat as much). The only strange thing was even though they have wings and several sauces for those on the menu, they don't ask if you want a sauce with the tenders. I asked if I could try the hot garlic, and it was great. Very strong garlic taste but creamy with a little kick. Not too hot though.

The jalepeno potatoes were incredible. They come with tons of cheese and the flavors blend very well. The sweet potato fries were pretty good but not great.

The onion rings are the thick kind with the thick batter, and I don't do cole slaw, but Cathy loved both.  

Bill was $32, and we had plenty left over. Highly recommended.

KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/13 15:11:09 (permalink)
Went to 5 guys last weekend, and I agree with what's been posted here already.  Very very good burger, and the ability to add items like grilled mushrooms, grilled onions and jalepenos that aren't an option other places really made it for me. 

The quality and quantity of food for the price is nearly impossible to beat. 

Pay close attention to the previous comment that the "large" order of fries covered 4 college students.  They have a cup on the menu that says "regular fries" that looks like a 12 ounce cup.  They fill that thing, then throw about twice that many more in your bag.  It's rediculous.  We split a small fry and there were enough fries left over to make a full order at most places.

I hear they are opening one in Rookwood.  That will not be good for my diet.  (Or fatburger, I'm guessing).
RKB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 172
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/15 09:25:37 (permalink)
I also tried Five Guys last week, the Centerville (Dayton) location.  As to 'quality' of the food, I was rather underwhelmed. The burger was cooked long past well-done and was extremely dry and crumbly-textured, despite the grease coating it. The variety of toppings on the menu looks good, but the tiny portion of eack was a major disappointment. I ordered the mushrooms - there were two pieces of mushroom on the bun. The fries were good, and they do give you more than the average person can eat.  
I'll try them again another time, any place can have a bad day.
post edited by Roadkill Bill - 2009/11/15 09:30:10
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/19 07:27:03 (permalink)
Hey Guys, haven't posted in a while and figured I should jump back in.

@KahnsCrazy: Personally I don't think that their regular fries are all that big and that a large is that large. I mean I can easily polish off a regular burger and a regular fry with no problem what so ever. Now I do acknowledge that I workout more than most and probably have a grater appetite that many but still don't find it that daunting.

@Roadkill Bill: I would like to think that you just got an off burger. Of the few times I have eaten at a 5 Guys I have never had a poor experience or dry burger. I tried the new Smashburger and found it to be what you had described although I was impressed with the amount of guacamole that they put on my Baja Burger.

Anybody else try the new Smashburger down the road? I got the 1/2 lb Baja Burger with Smash Fries and a chocolate shake. As I alluded to earlier I found the burger to be a little dry and lacking in beef flavor but the guacamole helped to make up for the relatively little moisture. It actually had a nice little kick to it with the Jalapeno's (I'm looking at you Steak n Shake and the pitiful excuse for a spicy burger). I personally really liked the Smash fries as they came with rosemary and olive oil and found them to be pleasantly crispy, and I am normally a steak fry fan. The chocolate shake was very good in my opinion. Don't know if it was really good from the use of Haagen Dazs ice cream or the fact that I haven't had a shake in who knows how long.

Personally I think if I am craving a 'fast food' style burger I will choose 5 Guys.
Captain Howdy
Hamburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/19 08:54:39 (permalink)
Roadkill Bill

I also tried Five Guys last week, the Centerville (Dayton) location.  As to 'quality' of the food, I was rather underwhelmed. The burger was cooked long past well-done and was extremely dry and crumbly-textured, despite the grease coating it. The variety of toppings on the menu looks good, but the tiny portion of eack was a major disappointment. I ordered the mushrooms - there were two pieces of mushroom on the bun. The fries were good, and they do give you more than the average person can eat.  
I'll try them again another time, any place can have a bad day.

I've eaten at that Five Guys location thrice now, and not once have I received anything close to a dry burger.  And I always have ordered the burger with mushrooms, and always have received a burger containing so many mushrooms that some would inevitably fall out of the sandwich with each bite I took, so numerous were they.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/19 09:39:41 (permalink)
It sounds like we are back to discussing Dayton again

I would ask that conversation relating to Dayton be moved elsewhere, given that this thread is about Cincinnati/NKy
Alco251
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/19 11:12:21 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

It sounds like we are back to discussing Dayton again

I would ask that conversation relating to Dayton be moved elsewhere, given that this thread is about Cincinnati/NKy

And not just Dayton, but chain food in Dayton...
KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/24 14:24:00 (permalink)
I was discussing the Five Guys on Calhoun in Clifton.
sudie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/30 12:44:18 (permalink)
We ate at Five Guys yesterday (Crestview Hills) on the way home from the airport...like we didn't eat ENOUGH over Thanksgiving.  We loved it!  The burger seemed exactly like what I have in mind when I order a burger...and I seldom get one like this.  It was juicy, and I ordered so many toppings, I had to cut it in half with a knife.  Best I've had in a long time.  The fries were wonderful, hot and just thick enough. The counter gal suggested we split an order.  I was hesitant, as my husband is a real fry hogger when we split.  I was dubious of the styro cupful, but then he showed me how many were in the bag!  Next time we're hungry for a burger, we'll definitely head here.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/30 13:14:59 (permalink)
A few months back, the original Balboa's location (on Vine between 6th and 7th) closed up, and just this past week, the second and sole remaining Balboa's downtown (on Walnut between 4th and 5th, dunno about the bigger location in OBryonville) has also closed.

Good riddance.  Mediocre food + high prices = not a place I go to.

A sign in the papered-up window proclaims that a "healthy Italian" place called Capri will open in it's place. No date of opening listed.
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2009/11/30 14:15:11
Delilah77
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/30 14:08:33 (permalink)
I tried Noce's Pizza in Montgomery the day before Thanksgiving.  I didn't think the crust was very good, the tomato sauce was okay, and I thought the toppings tasted very fresh. I didn't think it was better than Dewey's but I might give it another try in the future. I have to say I was disappointed.
KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/30 14:55:29 (permalink)
At least as of Saturday, the Obryonville Balboa's was still open.  Much different setting, so it may last, though I will still say that the pizza I had there was so-so.  It looked like it was going to be great, but it wasn't.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/11/30 15:05:51 (permalink)
That is the way it is in Cinci and Dayton to a large extent.
johnbycz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2009/12/01 16:47:04 (permalink)
Ate today at Mayberry downtown, on Vine near Hamburger Mary's. Small joint, can't remember what occupied that space before. Seats about two dozen total. Sort of home cooking -- pot roast, roast pork. They also do breakfast. I did the 12 oz. burger with the egg on top. Maybe the messiest thing I've ever eaten with my hands, but it was good and cooked the way I asked for it. Next time I'm getting a side of the tater tot casserole.
Page: << < ..7677787980.. > >> Showing page 80 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1