The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Change Page: << < ..81828384858687888990.. > >> | Showing page 82 of 108, messages 2431 to 2460 of 3216
joerogo

• Total Posts: 4462
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 02/5/10 12:48 PM (permalink)
[size=2 font=""]The whole scene was a little amusing because I recently read a review of Campbell’s Barn on roadfood.com where the writer “unequivocally” recommended the restaurant and proclaimed its blackberry cobbler “the best I have ever had.”
[font=""]Campbell’s Barn is not the best I have ever had. In fact, I’d like to recommend the Bob Evans across the street.

Hey Diana Day, Your review(personal opinion) was good until you made the above Fly by Night statement. 

Challenging another persons review?  What are you, 12 years old?

<message edited by joerogo on Fri, 02/5/10 12:52 PM>

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
    Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 02/5/10 1:44 PM (permalink)
    I read the review and she is a tool. First off why didn't she get the chicken? Instead she orders a Prime Salad in a Barn and something called a Rib Steak. She also did not say how she ordered it etc. But she states it came overdone. How thick was it? Deep Fried Chicken in a Deep Fryer in my opinion is usually better than pan or dutch oven fried. As this is not always true I think the deep fryer is far more consistent. The batter, chicken, marinade, and spices used are far more important. While I have not always agreed with TJ his reviews are always fair, well researched, honest etc... His personal taste and likes are different than mine sometime. But I always trust his review....Russ 

donw9876

• Total Posts: 289
      Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 02/5/10 3:01 PM (permalink)
      I notice that no comments have been posted to that Citybeat article. If someone feels that they have been publicly slighted, post over there or write to the Citybeat editor.

Russ Jackson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 02/5/10 3:45 PM (permalink)

It might mean that outside of us nobody reads it. I also think no matter what she ate she would not have been happy. You can tell by the way she writes. I would like to read some of her other reviews. If not she would have never ordered those items. Ordering a Steak or Prime Rib at a country barn is looking to get disappointed don't you think. Chicken fingers are kids food.

The Barn’s Golden Fried Chicken ~
        Hand breaded and cooked to order ~ worth the wait!
        4 Piece Dinner ~
        breast, wing, leg and a thigh
        2 Piece Dinners ~
        breast and wing - breast and leg - or breast and thigh
        all dark with a thigh and leg
        Chicken Liver Dinner ~
        An 8oz. serving of seasoned chicken livers with grilled onions
        Homestyle Dinners ~
        Ham Steak Dinner
        J uicy ham steak with pineapple glaze
        Countr y Fr ied Por k Chops
        Two center cut por k chops fr ied country style, ser ved with gr avy
        Open Face Roast Beef
        Our tender beef piled high on Texas toast cover ed in br own gr avy
        Pan Roasted Ribeye Steak
        A 10 oz. cut pan-sear ed and finished in a hunter mushr oom sauce
        Countr y Fr ied Steak
        Chopped steak br eaded and fr ied, ser ved with white gr avy
        Beef Liver
        Two slices ser ved with gr illed onions
        Meatloaf ~ J ust like Granny Campbell made
        Two slices of meatloaf ser ved with our homemade gr avy
        Chicken Tender s ~ Top Seller
        Four hand br eaded tender s
        Not that hungr y? How about two tender s
        Chicken Br east
        Baked, Cajun or countr y style
        Walleye Pike
        Car efully hand br eaded and fr ied in a blend of seasonings
        Alaskan White Fish
        Sautéed with lemon & pepper also available cajun style

Here is a copy and paste of the menu...Russ

donw9876

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 02/6/10 8:26 PM (permalink)
          Another thing is to consider the source.

Citybeat has been the free hippie culture/local entertainment newspaper placed at stands in the entry halls of many local Cincinnati area businesses. And that's about the right price.

Usually I would grab one when I had lunch by myself someplace and peruse it, and in virtually every case I would chuck it in the trash when I was done with it (it always took about 10 minutes, tops.)

A column in this magazine is, IMO, rookie experience for a writer to put on their resume. About at the level of a blog.

My take on the review is that the writer had an agenda and it's an obvious hatchet job in a freebie newspaper. With luck, she will graduate up to ghost writing obituaries. (Note to self: meooow!!! )

Drive on through, nothing to see.
          <message edited by donw9876 on Sat, 02/6/10 8:49 PM>

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
            Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 02/8/10 9:45 AM (permalink)
            Time for me to eat some crow here.

I've been in communication with the owner of Campbell's Barn since the review came out, and it turns out that the blackberry cobbler is not made in house nor has it ever been.  They buy a frozen product and bake it in-house.

That said, it's still really good, the best frozen cobbler I have ever had :-)

so, onto the crow - I take mine plucked, roasted to medium well, stuffed with sage and mushroom dressing, in a nice chicken stock and white wine sauce reduction.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 02/9/10 10:00 PM (permalink)
              Sorry TJ, we only boil it in chicken stock (the crow that is).  Hope all is now well up there in the Buckeye State!

Soccer862923

• Total Posts: 208
                Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 02/10/10 7:38 AM (permalink)
                TJ Jackson

Time for me to eat some crow here.

I've been in communication with the owner of Campbell's Barn since the review came out, and it turns out that the blackberry cobbler is not made in house nor has it ever been.  They buy a frozen product and bake it in-house.

That said, it's still really good, the best frozen cobbler I have ever had :-)

so, onto the crow - I take mine plucked, roasted to medium well, stuffed with sage and mushroom dressing, in a nice chicken stock and white wine sauce reduction.

Don't feel bad. I am pretty sure that my favorite Coconut Cream Pie @ Roush's is most likely bought out of house, but still is pretty fantastic in my opinion.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                  Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 02/11/10 11:44 AM (permalink)

Russ Jackson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 02/11/10 12:47 PM (permalink)
                    porkbeaks

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/06/larosas-pizza-cincinnati-ohio-oh-review.html

Like I have always said Cincy is the most Pizza Challenged City I have ever been to. That town is completely blind to Pizza Quality. Its been so long that they don't even know what good Pizza is. The state as a whole is pretty deprived as well. Maybe 5 or 10 good pizzas in the entire state...Russ

TJ Jackson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 02/11/10 2:55 PM (permalink)
                      Russ Jackson

porkbeaks

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/06/larosas-pizza-cincinnati-ohio-oh-review.html

Like I have always said Cincy is the most Pizza Challenged City I have ever been to. That town is completely blind to Pizza Quality. Its been so long that they don't even know what good Pizza is.

I am unsure how the quality of LaRosa's pizza (from a 8 month old article already discussed here when it was a CURRENT article) relates to the quality of all pizza in Cincinnati.  

Mind you, I'm not a fan of LaRosa's myself......I just fail to see the connection here.

One can find bad pizza in any city or region.  Any.  That does not in turn mean that all pizzas in said city or region are bad.

Russ Jackson
                      That town is completely blind to Pizza Quality. Its been so long that they don't even know what good Pizza is.

Pretty broad generalization there, to put it mildly.  I dont think this is a fair or accurate statement, as stated.
                      <message edited by TJ Jackson on Thu, 02/11/10 3:41 PM>

Russ Jackson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 02/11/10 3:14 PM (permalink)
                        As always this is just my opinion. Not being a Cincy Native from birth maybe it is my taste spectrum that is out of line. I know many people that find LaRosa's, Cassanos, and Papa John's excellent Pizza. Personally I just cant find the attraction. I can't think of one Chicago Style I like in the entire state nor can I think of more than a couple traditional style ones I like. Even the one location places serve poor renditions. Our office in Hebron Ky gets all excited when we order LaRosa's and I just do not get it. Other areas of cuisine the Cincy area is tops in its class but when it comes to Pizza I am lost...Russ

Pizza isn't that tough. Quality Mozzarella, Fresh Made Dough, Quality Fresh Toppings, Good Canned Tomatoes, Real Parmesan Reggiano Cheese, Thick Pepperoni, Premium Olive Oil, and a Really Hot Oven. And most of all someone that cares about what he is doing. Have you ever looked at the Face of someone eating a great piece of Pizza? Its Awesome! Any fool can throw some canned sauce on some biscuit dough and sell three large for 8 dollars. You do it right and you can change someones life.

I remember the first time I had great pizza and where it was bought. Midtown Pizza in Plymouth Michigan 1972. It was wrapped in brown paper and the two Pizzas were handled with one diagonal to the other so it wouldn't crush the one below. When the paper was torn a plume of steam permeated the room. The smell was amazing. You could smell the garlic. My Father Smiled. The small perfectly round pepperonis each had a small pool of grease in them. My Father warned us that the Cheese was very hot. I took a bite and the Hot Lava cheese removed a layer of skin from the roof of my mouth. I Did not care. The salt from the parmesan cheese dusting was euphoric. I continued eating the folded triangle until i reached the air pocket shiny outer crust. I stacked the crusts on the plate to eat after the pizza was gone. I had four pieces and could have eaten more. But it was gone all too soon. I can still see the oil stains on the brown paper wrapping  in my mind today like it was yesterday. From that point on I understood quality food and I was a different person.  I was 11 years old and it was winter time. I cant remember just about anything from 1986 but I remember a Pizza I had in an alley in Harvard Square Ma. Hell I can still smell it. Few things in this world are better than Great Pizza. So sad most of Ohio will never really experience it?
                        <message edited by Russ Jackson on Thu, 02/11/10 4:04 PM>

RantoulDavis

• Total Posts: 26
                          Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 02/11/10 4:47 PM (permalink)
                          Hey folks,  New guy here.  I've been reading the forums here for a while and finally took the plunge and signed up for an account so I could grace you all with my unerring opinions.  Ha ha.  I know Russ J and NYPizza Nut will claim that there's no such thing as good pizza in OH (outside of Troni's of course, an opinon I've yet to verify).  But I'll agree with TJJ, who, from what I've read can be a little cantankerous, that wholesale write offs don't serve anyone.   I lived in Cincinnati for about 8 years and was not a big fan of LaRosa's.  I literally lived on Adriatico's (when it was on Jefferson) for a number of those years.  I wonder if it's still good and garlicky??  Then after 10 years in Chicago I returned to Ohio and I'll be damned if I didn't grow a soft spot for that sweet LaRosa's sauce on my return.  But I still don't go out of my way to go there.  But I think Dewey's Green Lantern is pizza nirvana.  Far from traditional but still damn tasty.  I'm also incredible fond of Ha Ha Pizza here in Yellow Springs.  I'm sure donw6789 is rolling his eyes and preparing to slam the crazy left wing liberal tree hugging hippie pizza!!  As you can see I've read quite a bit and even know a bit about the personalities out here.  Please be advised I'm just teasing y'all a bit.  Please take no offense as I've learned a lot from reading all of your comments.   I look forward to joining the lively conversations on this thread, Russ's thread (if it;s still active) and NYP's thread.  Without you guys I'd never have known about Tacqueria Mixteca and I love that place!  OK, that's enough for now.  Hope to be posting more soon.  Cheers!

Soccer862923

• Total Posts: 208
                            Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 02/11/10 9:33 PM (permalink)
                            RantoulDavis

Hey folks,  New guy here.  I've been reading the forums here for a while and finally took the plunge and signed up for an account so I could grace you all with my unerring opinions.  Ha ha.  I know Russ J and NYPizza Nut will claim that there's no such thing as good pizza in OH (outside of Troni's of course, an opinon I've yet to verify).  But I'll agree with TJJ, who, from what I've read can be a little cantankerous, that wholesale write offs don't serve anyone.   I lived in Cincinnati for about 8 years and was not a big fan of LaRosa's.  I literally lived on Adriatico's (when it was on Jefferson) for a number of those years.  I wonder if it's still good and garlicky??  Then after 10 years in Chicago I returned to Ohio and I'll be damned if I didn't grow a soft spot for that sweet LaRosa's sauce on my return.  But I still don't go out of my way to go there.  But I think Dewey's Green Lantern is pizza nirvana.  Far from traditional but still damn tasty.  I'm also incredible fond of Ha Ha Pizza here in Yellow Springs.  I'm sure donw6789 is rolling his eyes and preparing to slam the crazy left wing liberal tree hugging hippie pizza!!  As you can see I've read quite a bit and even know a bit about the personalities out here.  Please be advised I'm just teasing y'all a bit.  Please take no offense as I've learned a lot from reading all of your comments.   I look forward to joining the lively conversations on this thread, Russ's thread (if it;s still active) and NYP's thread.  Without you guys I'd never have known about Tacqueria Mixteca and I love that place!  OK, that's enough for now.  Hope to be posting more soon.  Cheers!

Welcome to the forums! Don't feel bad I lurked around for quite some time as well before getting more involved and took a hiatus for a few months.

More power to you if you like Ha Ha Pizza, but man the 2 times I have ever gotten pizza there I couldn't even finish an entire slice, maybe to my tastebuds trying to make "healthier" pizza just isn't appealing at all regardless of how healthy I normally eat. 

donw9876

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 02/11/10 11:28 PM (permalink)
                              RantoulDavis
                              I'm also incredible fond of Ha Ha Pizza here in Yellow Springs.  I'm sure donw6789 is rolling his eyes and preparing to slam the crazy left wing liberal tree hugging hippie pizza!!  As you can see I've read quite a bit and even know a bit about the personalities out here.  Please be advised I'm just teasing y'all a bit.

Lol, yeah, that was me.

Nah, I really like Yellow Springs, I just rag on the predictable political and cultural bent there. YS is very mellow compared to the rest of the tri-state.

I got the whole wheat crust at Ha Hah. It was just ok, not even as "delectable" as (even) LaRosa's and the crust was not very good. I got there just after they closed the buffet so I had to order a la carte, and I didn't think the wait person I had treated me very well at all. I got the buffet years ago there and I liked it OK. I think the clue to a good experience in a kid oriented joint like that is to not depend the staff for anything.
                              <message edited by donw9876 on Thu, 02/11/10 11:29 PM>

RantoulDavis

• Total Posts: 26
                                Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 02/12/10 9:53 AM (permalink)
                                donw9876

RantoulDavis
                                I'm also incredible fond of Ha Ha Pizza here in Yellow Springs.  I'm sure donw6789 is rolling his eyes and preparing to slam the crazy left wing liberal tree hugging hippie pizza!!  As you can see I've read quite a bit and even know a bit about the personalities out here.  Please be advised I'm just teasing y'all a bit.

Lol, yeah, that was me.

Nah, I really like Yellow Springs, I just rag on the predictable political and cultural bent there. YS is very mellow compared to the rest of the tri-state.

I got the whole wheat crust at Ha Hah. It was just ok, not even as "delectable" as (even) LaRosa's and the crust was not very good. I got there just after they closed the buffet so I had to order a la carte, and I didn't think the wait person I had treated me very well at all. I got the buffet years ago there and I liked it OK. I think the clue to a good experience in a kid oriented joint like that is to not depend the staff for anything.

A few tips from a "homer" should you decide to give Ha Ha another shot.
                                1. Avoid the wheat crust.  It just doesn't belong in a pizza.  Too sweet.  And their white crust is one of their strengths IMO.  It has some herbs mixed into it.  I've heard purists complain about that as well.  I love it.
                                2. Never order sausage.  One of my pizza faves is sausage and banana peppers.  Got it there once.  It was turkey sausage.  Never again.
                                3. Service can be spotty and turn around time can be slow.  It's hard to keep all those orders straight when the staff is so high..  Don't go if you are in a hurry.  While the salad bar is pretty rockin' I usually get it to go.  I live about a two minute, if that, walk from the restaurant.

The only problems I've had with them lately (new owners in the last few years, the original owner sold out to a long term employee) is that I had a pie or two where the sauce was a little light.  That's a drag since I love their proprietary, made-fresh daily, sauce.   Lately it's been spot on.  They were also skimping on ingredients for a while and the "handle" crust was getting bigger.  They seem to have worked that issue out.

We do order things other than pepperoni.  My son likes cheese & garlic and my daughter likes black olives, and occasionally spinach and tomatoes, and my wife likes Hawaiian pie with onion.  All are quite good.  But they have a few ingredients, "healthy ones" that I regularly avoid.

I should probably be having this conversation over in the SW Ohio thread.  Yellow Springs is a bit outside of the Cincinnati/NKY area.    Speaking of that area, how do y'all like Walt's Hitching Post down on Kyle's Lane for ribs? 

TJ Jackson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 02/12/10 10:00 AM (permalink)
                                  Please move this conversation about pizza in Dayton to another thread, as this thread is about eats in Greater Cincinnati

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                    Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 02/12/10 11:25 AM (permalink)
                                    Russ Jackson

As always this is just my opinion. Not being a Cincy Native from birth maybe it is my taste spectrum that is out of line. I know many people that find LaRosa's, Cassanos, and Papa John's excellent Pizza. Personally I just cant find the attraction. I can't think of one Chicago Style I like in the entire state nor can I think of more than a couple traditional style ones I like. Even the one location places serve poor renditions. Our office in Hebron Ky gets all excited when we order LaRosa's and I just do not get it. Other areas of cuisine the Cincy area is tops in its class but when it comes to Pizza I am lost...Russ

Pizza isn't that tough. Quality Mozzarella, Fresh Made Dough, Quality Fresh Toppings, Good Canned Tomatoes, Real Parmesan Reggiano Cheese, Thick Pepperoni, Premium Olive Oil, and a Really Hot Oven. And most of all someone that cares about what he is doing. Have you ever looked at the Face of someone eating a great piece of Pizza? Its Awesome! Any fool can throw some canned sauce on some biscuit dough and sell three large for 8 dollars. You do it right and you can change someones life.

I remember the first time I had great pizza and where it was bought. Midtown Pizza in Plymouth Michigan 1972. It was wrapped in brown paper and the two Pizzas were handled with one diagonal to the other so it wouldn't crush the one below. When the paper was torn a plume of steam permeated the room. The smell was amazing. You could smell the garlic. My Father Smiled. The small perfectly round pepperonis each had a small pool of grease in them. My Father warned us that the Cheese was very hot. I took a bite and the Hot Lava cheese removed a layer of skin from the roof of my mouth. I Did not care. The salt from the parmesan cheese dusting was euphoric. I continued eating the folded triangle until i reached the air pocket shiny outer crust. I stacked the crusts on the plate to eat after the pizza was gone. I had four pieces and could have eaten more. But it was gone all too soon. I can still see the oil stains on the brown paper wrapping  in my mind today like it was yesterday. From that point on I understood quality food and I was a different person.  I was 11 years old and it was winter time. I cant remember just about anything from 1986 but I remember a Pizza I had in an alley in Harvard Square Ma. Hell I can still smell it. Few things in this world are better than Great Pizza. So sad most of Ohio will never really experience it?
                                    Ah the memories you evoke.  I am with you all the way about great pizza and the way it should be made and taste like.  I do not remember my first slice of pizza - I guess I always assumed pizza was food from heaven and would always be that way.

TJ Jackson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 02/24/10 3:48 PM (permalink)
                                      Bangkok Express on Court Street (formally Tan Thai) is offering their pad thai (reg 6.95 for chicken, more for other proteins) at a dollar off every Tuesday.  Had it yesterday, and it was very good.

and.....Lots of updates from Polly today

First, Javier's on Walnut closed.  This does not surprise me, as I gave it chance after chance and never got a good burrito there.    Always a place I really, really wanted to like - but never did.
                                      http://cincinnati.com/blo...0/02/24/adios-javiers/

Second, the new Rising Roll in Blue Ash that was talked about in this thread a few times, has closed.  There are also some other misc updates in this piece
                                      http://cincinnati.com/blo...g/2010/02/24/round-up/
                                      <message edited by TJ Jackson on Wed, 02/24/10 6:42 PM>

donw9876

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 02/24/10 5:53 PM (permalink)
                                        TJ Jackson
                                        Second, the new Rising Roll in Blue Ash was talked about in this thread a few times, has closed.

Holy crap, that was quick. See this article: http://www.risingroll.com...nn_enquirer_011909.pdf

It only opened last spring. Less than a year. And with glowing reviews. I was gonna try it the next time I was down there.

Sheez.

<message edited by donw9876 on Wed, 02/24/10 5:57 PM>

baughman

• Total Posts: 115
                                          Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 02/27/10 11:31 AM (permalink)
                                          IF you had to pick between Goodies bbq and Pit to Plate.  which would you pick? Have not been to either. The family wants to hit a place we havent been yet. Those or I guess even Boston Butts if anyone has tried that places yet?

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                            Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 02/27/10 12:12 PM (permalink)
                                            I have been to all 3 and I like Goodies the best - especially their rib tips.  And their sides are fantastic, especially their red beans and rice.  I crave those two dishes of theirs as much as the po' boys at NOTG, and their wonderful soups and sides.

dlawson

• Total Posts: 237
                                              Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 02/27/10 6:41 PM (permalink)
                                              baughman

IF you had to pick between Goodies bbq and Pit to Plate.  which would you pick? Have not been to either. The family wants to hit a place we havent been yet. Those or I guess even Boston Butts if anyone has tried that places yet?

I have only been to Goodies and Pit to Plate one time each, and I wasn't too impressed with either one overall. I would give the edge to Pit to Plate for meat quality, and to Goodies for side dishes. I found the rib tips at Goodies to be very fatty and chewy, whereas the ones at Jim Dandy's, which I often get for lunch, are nothing of the sort. Pit to Plate, meanwhile, had very good brisket, but very lackluster sides.

The Pit to Plate building decor also has a bit more character, if that makes a difference to you. Goodies strikes me as a bit too "sterile" for a BBQ place...but, of course, it is about the food first and foremost. 

baughman

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 03/1/10 8:12 PM (permalink)
                                                we ended up going to Pit to PLate, since my wife was scared to go to goodies. Find out something new about my wife everyday. lol. guess more sad then lol.
                                                  I still have yet to find good brisket in cinci. The brisket was way to dry and chewy. Pork was ok. Pork tends to be easier to get right tho it seems. Havent had bad pork yet. Ribs were good but way over smoked. everyones mac and cheese was cold.
                                                  Family has said we wont go back. Nobody liked anything beyond me with the ribs and collard greens.
                                                  Looks like I will have to take the trip by myself down to goodies. Everyone said I have to scout out bbq by myself from now on anyways. Since we keep running into bad or mediocre bbq when ever we go as a family.

guess If I would give ratings

pork 6/10
                                                brisket 3/10
                                                ribs 7/10

PAinOH

• Total Posts: 9
                                                  Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 03/1/10 11:58 PM (permalink)

Haven't been around for a bit, but glad to see you all are still up to no good ;)

Just wanted to add to the Northside spots for the folks looking for something on the West Side:
                                                  Take the Cake Cafe

It's over there in that Honey, Melt area and serves similar grub, but done very well. It was once just a bakery (and their baked stuff is fab), but the things they are serving for lunch and Sunday Brunch are truly divine. I highly recommend the sausage gravy over biscuits on Sundays (homemade biscuits and the gravy uses Kroeger & Sons from Findlay), but get there early. When they are out, they are out. 

TJ Jackson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 03/4/10 2:12 PM (permalink)
                                                    With temperatures up locally to a sweltering 30F, and with clear skies and sun, I decided it was time to actually get out for lunch today.  I headed north, figuring I'd find one of the two new food trucks (Cafe de Wheels or Senor Roy's taco truck) somewhere up around 10th street or Central parkway, with the gyro joint on Court as my backup if I couldn't find them.  I found Cafe de Wheels at Court and Walnut, and so my lunch destination was set

Website: http://cafedewheels.com/Page1.html

There were about 5 people in line, which indicated they've started building up a following, a good sign despite the fact that it'd mean a wait.  I ordered a "Cincinnati" Cuban (6.50) and a order of sweet potato fries (3.00).  I don't normally spend 9.50 on lunch, but I wanted to try a couple things, so I made the exception

While me and a small crowd waited, I saw a small delivery sent out via segway messenger.  Interesting.  Per the website, they only do segway deliveries on Thursday.

Bottom line on the food, three words.  Small, expensive, (damn) good.

Ok, so that was 4 words.

The sweet potato fries were among the best I have had yet - thin cut, crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside, and well seasoned.  Better even that the very good ones at New Orleans to Go.  Savory, not sweet.  I ate these straight out of the bag as i walked back to the office, only intending to sample them while hot but as good as they were I finished them before I got halfway back.  On the other hand, you'd figure for 3 bucks you'd get a fairly large order, but I got about as much fries as a Dollar menu order of fries at McDonalds.  Definitely wanted more of these.

The Cuban was also fairly small, but was very, very good.   Can't vouch for authenticity, as I have never had what I'd consider a real cuban sandwich, but this was pressed, on good slightly chewy bread, and the fillings were excellent tho sparse.  I'm fairly certain an authentic cuban never includes grilled onions, but it worked well on this sandwich.  It retained good heat in it's wrapping on my 7 block walk back to work.

I hope on my next visit, hopefully soon, they will still have the grilled cheese and chili special (6.00) available. 

Here's some links to other folks thoughts on Cafe De Wheels:
                                                    http://cincinnati.com/blo.../14/burgers-on-wheels/
                                                    http://www.cincinnatiread...02/cafe-de-wheels.html
                                                    http://cincinnatinomerati...12/cafe-de-wheels.html
                                                    http://whatiatethisweek.com/blog/?p=958

(I can confirm my cuban was smaller - with the pork sliced much more thinly - than the ones pictured on the cincinnatinomerati and whatiatethisweek entries.  More specifically - same bread, but less of the fillings)

UPDATE 20100311: I stopped back in today and found out a few things.  First, I asked if they cut their own fries, and they answered no, but assured me they were awesome nonetheless.  Having had the sweet potato fries before, I didnt need to be convinced.  Second,  I ordered the chili, and they told me they hadn't made any and were taking it off the menu because it wasn't selling.  However, they will add a soup of the day and their chili might occasionally make it's return in that fashion.  They also are pushing couple of new items - a philly cheesesteak sandwich but replacing the steak with sliced portabella mushrooms, and an Avril grilled brat.  I ended up ordering a Wheel's grilled cheese (grilled cheese plus pulled pork and grilled onions) and it was solidly good.  I keep hearing how good the burger is, and as soon as the weather brightens up enough to sit down and eat nearby (I am a big believer that burgers dont travel well, and I have a 7 block walk back) I will be getting that.

UPDATE 20100406: Got the portabella philly sans mayo, lettuce, and tomato, and it was excellent; and of course the sweet potato fries which I now believe I am addicted to.  Outstanding lunch.

UPDATE 20100510: Sometime last week when the weather was nice, I stopped by for their burger, finally.  Very good, not a contender for the best in town, but one of the best downtown.   Accompanied by those awesome but expensive sweet potato fries, as always.
                                                    <message edited by TJ Jackson on Mon, 05/10/10 1:33 PM>

westsider12

• Total Posts: 131
                                                      • Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                      Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 03/8/10 1:15 PM (permalink)
                                                      New sandwich joint scheduled to open downtown on April 1.  Looks like it will be in the old Lazy Gourmet/NY NY Deli location between 4th and 5th.  Sounds interesting, but to quote one of the bloggers below, if it is pricey it won't last.

http://cincinnati.com/blo...010/03/08/wicked-wich/

TJ Jackson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 03/10/10 3:17 PM (permalink)
                                                        I got held up by mid afternoon meetings, and when I got out to lunch at just before 2, and hoofed it up to where the Cafe de Wheels was parked, they had already shut down for the day

Moral of the story - get to Cafe de Wheels early or not at all

So I ended up at Raya's on Court Steet, where I had had a average-tasting gyro a year or so back, thinking I would sample the falafel that had gotten such a glowing review on local blog GetInMahBelly (http://getinmahbelly.blog...anese-restaurant.html)

Oh my lord - it is absolutely wonderful

I am still very much a falafel newbie, but I know what I like, and this was extremely tasty and held up well on the 8 block trudge back to my workspace

If you like falafel, -or- if you are thinking about trying one out for the first time, I highly recommend you get the falafel at Rayas

UPDATE 20100311: For sake of comparison, I picked up a falafel at the Elm Street Diner (despite the name, this is a gyro/falafel/kabab joint, with a few american staples thrown in) and then walked to Raya's for another of hers.  A two falafel lunch.  Now Raya had warned me the bread was not as fresh today, and despite that, I ate every bit of hers and only two bites of the one from Elm Street.  Elm Street's falafel balls are dense, heavy, and virtually flavorless.  Rayas are light, crunchy, and full of flavor.  Also, Elm Street does not have tahini.   No comparison, Raya's is the best, at least for downtown.  (Aside: I need to check to see if Mythos does a falafel) 

UPDATE 20100405: I worked my way through the crowds downtown for the Cincinnati Red's opening day to get to Raya's for the falafel again, and I was once again well rewarded for my efforts.  If there is a better falafel in Cincinnati, I would love to try it.  If you can make it there for lunch, please come support this underdog of a local eatery.
                                                        <message edited by TJ Jackson on Tue, 04/6/10 12:28 PM>

baughman

• Location: Blanchester, OH
                                                          Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 03/10/10 6:25 PM (permalink)
                                                          So after much talk about Country Inn chicken down in Mt Orab. The family and I made the 40 minutes drive out there today. I realised it just opened in the new location , but it was a good sign that at 2pm the parking lot was pretty full. A good 10-12 tables were full when we went in. The place is pretty big now. Just by looking around it looked like 14 or so booths, and 10 tables or so.
                                                             I saw chicken livers on the menu and had to cover it up since I am an innards fan. I came to try the chicken since Campbells barn has failed me the last cpl times I have been.
                                                             Now I must say I was won over as soon as I got to the salad bar and saw Bread and Butter pickles on it. I could have paid the money and just gorged on those. Standard canned Pickles but dang I love them.
                                                             AS for the chicken the meat was juicy as all get out. Plus the skin, well lets just put it this way. My wife hates fried chicken and she ate half the skin off my 3 pieces of chicken.
                                                            Skin was def the highlight of the meal.  Standard home cooked food is all over the menu.
                                                           I would put this chicken in my top 3 in cinci now. Reminded me a bit of the old IGAs chicken in Blanchester which is a good thing.
                                                             Wife and kids got breakfast which was big and cheap. The menu wont break your bank at all. We spent 29.08 for four of us.
                                                             Bonus was the sweet tea was top top also.

I would drive out there agian for the chicken.

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
                                                            Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 03/10/10 7:43 PM (permalink)
                                                            I was at Cafe' de Wheels today at 1:30pm. I got cut from work early and got a burger, cuban & sweet potato fries to take home. I must say, the burger was EXCELLENT!! I ate the burger & fries when I got home, and I just ate half of the cuban. The pork was thick sliced today, and the ham is really good, but I think it's kinda dry.

I tried Raya's last Saturday. I got the combination plate with baba ghannoush, tabouleh, hummus & falafel with pita. For @ $7, it was a great deal, and a lot of food. I thought the falafel was great, as well.

This past Saturday, I tried the Senate, and I don't know if it was late or what, but we ordered the trailer park dog, and the toppings (american cheese, bacon & cole slaw) were so scant, you couldn't tell any of it was on the dog. The hot dog was a good quality beef dog, and was huge, but at $9, I expected more topping, or at least be able to taste them. Got duck fat fries and they were delish. It was my first time trying them. We also shared the grilled cheese with pork belly. The pork belly was shredded and just not good. I was expecting more like bacon, not bland pulled pork. It was also supposed to have avocado on it, but didn't.

This restaurant totes itself as "gourmet street food". It was very expensive and didn't live up to my expectations.

The next night we went to Nada for the first time. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this place. The chips & salsa are awesome. I had chicken taquitos and mac & cheese. It was all excellent.

And, yes, I've eaten out a lot recently. With the warmer weather, I have no desire to cook.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..81828384858687888990.. > >> | Showing page 82 of 108, messages 2431 to 2460 of 3216

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 6 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com