AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..8182838485.. > >> Showing page 83 of 109
Author
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/03/13 09:38:11 (permalink)
soozycue520The next night we went to Nada for the first time. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this place. The chips & salsa are awesome. I had chicken taquitos and mac & cheese. It was all excellent.

We have been several times, and it is ridiculous how great everything on the menu is. You also need to try the crispy pork belly tacos, the tinga poblana iron pot, the grilled adobo rubbed pork chop, and a side of mashed plantains if your entree doesn't include one. (Yes, I'm looking over the menu now, remembering all of the wonderful meals we've had there.)

We finally made it to Take The Cake for brunch last weekend, and I was not blown away. The biscuits and gravy are very good, and reminiscent of Honey's initial version of them, back when they used Kroeger's sausage as well. The gravy was thick and peppery, with huge chunks of sausage pieces. I was more than a little disappointed that it only came with one biscuit for $6.50, however; a single biscuit "half order" at Honey is $4, and you get two biscuits with the "full" for $7. My wife went with the shrimp and grits, which were...interesting. They tasted very good, but were literally swimming in a pool of what tasted like a very light garlic-infused olive oil. The grits, mercifully, were not slimy or coarse at all, almost like they had been pureed, and the shrimp were cooked well. IIRC, this was $8.50.

In my opinion, the food isn't the problem, but the portions vs. pricing is, considering the larger portions on most items for similar pricing at Honey across the street. Take The Cake does, however, open at 9:00 on Sunday, a full two hours earlier than Honey, which may or may not be a factor in your decision. We'll go back, but probably not regularly.
wesleyman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/03/17 23:02:46 (permalink)
hit up Senor Rays Taco Patrol this week.  Very good and affordable.  Everything tasted and looked super fresh. Here are the steak and chicken tacos. The meat is in big chunks, the veggies and salsa was great and the cheese was good.  Dig the food and the concept.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4537
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/03/18 17:54:35 (permalink)
According to http://www.cincinnatibites.com/, the owners of Tacqueria Mercado in Fairfield are going to open a new location at the old Javier's on the corner of Walnut and 8th

If true, this is outstanding news for downtown.  I hope they bring along their Mexican baked goods as well.

wesleyman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/03/18 22:39:21 (permalink)
My buddy saw Guy Fieri from Diners, Driveins and Dives at Terry's Turf Club earlier this week so we thought we better hit it up before the show airs and it gets even harder to get in to this joint.  My burger was outstanding as usual. Bacon and grilled crabmeat on top. http://www.flickr.com/photos/richrichmond/4443485553/ tried the filet mignon chili which was awesome.  Still love this place.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/03/20 10:21:54 (permalink)
Yep, they have a sign in the window but it doesn't say when they will open. It has their website posted, but I cannot find any info on the website.

http://www.escapelatino.com/mercado/index

TJ Jackson

According to http://www.cincinnatibites.com/, the owners of Tacqueria Mercado in Fairfield are going to open a new location at the old Javier's on the corner of Walnut and 8th

If true, this is outstanding news for downtown.  I hope they bring along their Mexican baked goods as well.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/03/20 22:46:27 (permalink)
The Jackson 4 all ate at Noce's Pizzeria in Montgomery tonight

My wife said it was the best pizza she has had in Cincinnati, and no, I am not inviting the comments of those who believe there is no good pizza in Cincinnati.  Keep in mind that "best" is a relative term.

I was disappointed - the crust had no internal bubbles or structure - it was as if the dough was unleavened, and while the top was adequately cooked, the underside was a pale tan color with no crispness whatsoever.

We'll return, naturally, but I recall the crust being the absolute strength of the pie on my previous visit, and tonight it was the weakness. 

The calzone we also had tonight was also nowhere near as good as the one I had at the original west side location
soozycue520
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/03/22 15:29:03 (permalink)
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/03/28 13:34:57 (permalink)
Buffalo Bob's has closed in Hebron, citing the poor economy and continuing road work as causes.  There's already a banner announcing The Vintage Wine Bar, Kitchen and Market coming in April.  Here's a link to their website which isn't up yet:

http://www.thevintagewinebar.com/

And here's the craigslist post where they're looking for help:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/fbh/1636212350.html

Personally I don't see this going over any better than the martini bar that was in there before Bob's
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/05 10:56:03 (permalink)
the blog 'Cincinnati Bites' is reporting that local roadfood favorite New Orleans to Go in TriCounty has closed, but also that they are trying to put together a truck-based operation
soozycue520
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/05 16:26:37 (permalink)
My friend buys the Restaurant.com coupons when they are on sale, and she had bought one for a restaurant that subsequently closed.  Restaurant.com offered her a "free" $10 coupon, and she picked New Orleans to Go.  She informed me a couple of weeks ago that Restaurant.com contacted her again to let her know NOTG had closed, and she could pick another "free" coupon.  I didn't remember her telling me this until I read the above post.

Along the same lines, Red in Hyde Park has closed, as well.  Not really roadfood, but noteworthy.

On a different note altogether, I went by Abby Girl Sweets on 5th St. (downtown) last Saturday and picked up 4 cupcakes at $2.75 apiece.  This may seem a little steep to some, but cupcakes at any bakery may be less, however they are by no means cheap.  Abby Girl is a gourmet "cupcakery", so I figured why not try them. I ate one each day, and they stayed basically fresh up to the fourth day. I chose the cupcake of the week, Pina Colada, a Neopolitan (strawberry cake with chocolate and vanilla icings), Carrot Cake, and Chocolate Covered Strawberry (strawberry cake with chocolate ganache). They were really, really good.  The cake was very moist, and were top quality in every way.  I took pictures, but cannot access my Photobucket account.  I recommend trying it.  I am not really even a big cake fan, and these are good!!
post edited by soozycue520 - 2010/04/05 16:31:30
westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/06 09:45:56 (permalink)
Tried the new Wicked-wich downtown last week.  The first result was very encouraging.  Their spin is fresh high end meat that is seasoned and marinated overnight.  I went with the roast beef sandwich on sourdough.  The roast beef was phenomenal, cooked medium rare and sliced thin right before the sandwich was assembled.  I had some very juicy run off in the bag before I got back to work, which really added to the taste. 

Cheese is extra; there are a variety of toppings available which are very fresh.  I also received one side and I chose the curried egg salad.  This seemed more of a sandwich option than a side, but was decent nonetheless.   Would definitely try something else though.  Roast beef was $5.95 + $.50 for cheese and sides are $1.25.  Certainly not cheap but the quality was so high that it felt like I got a great deal on this.  Will definitely be back as they also have homemade corned beef, chicken, turkey, ham, and portabellas.

http://www.wicked-wich.com/

http://www.wicked-wich.com/Wicked-wich_Menu.pdf
post edited by westsider12 - 2010/04/06 09:47:32
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/07 07:26:50 (permalink)
I drove by New Orleans To Go after work yesterday, and the signs in the window say that they "will be back", and to check www.neworleanstogopoboys.com for updates. To expand on the "truck-based operation" mention by TJ, they are looking for 100 donations of $250 each, in exchange for either $250 in gift certificates once they reopen, or a catered lunch/dinner for 25 people. The signs also mention (twice) that catering is still available.

I am not too surprised by this development, as she has mentioned in the past that they were strongly considering moving the restaurant closer to their home in Boone County, KY, due to the inconvenience of the drive. It has been a couple of months since I last ate there, however, so I guess the trailer-based operation is a more recent idea.
KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/07 11:36:26 (permalink)
As a disclaimer, I've never run a restaurant.  However, I think if you're looking to the public for "donations" for your working capital, you're probably not going to last long in any business.  I'm not sure that's entirely legal either. 

Bonus points for creativity, but I don't think it bodes well for the future of NOTG.
tpd
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/07 16:05:49 (permalink)
I would think that the fact that you are receiving some sort of consideration makes it a donation in name only.  It looks more like pre-purchasing goods and services that hopefully will be available when you want to use them.

I hope they do come back.  I didn't get there as often as I would like but enjoyed the place when I did go.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/08 13:39:44 (permalink)
westsider12
Tried the new Wicked-wich downtown last week.  The first result was very encouraging.

Despite the fact that my favorite sandwich if all time - the mama mia at Campo's in Philadelphia - is a deli sandwich, I'm not much of a deli sandwich guy.  Seems like for every 100 I eat, 99 are 'meh' at best, and so very few have really impressed me.  Why eat a 'meh' deli sandwich when you can get an equally 'meh' fast food meal for half the price?  But with my confidence bolstered and curiosity engaged by the strength of westsider's glowing review, I ventured over to Wicked Wich for lunch today, and I too had the roast beef on sourdough baguette.

Bottom line: Very, very good and much better than I thought as a value proposition as well.  I strongly recommend it to anyone lunching downtown

The details: Westsider covered it pretty well, so let me just toss in a few other items I noted.

First, do you like your roast beef red or grey?  My wife wants it cooked through, but I like mine still mooing.   Westsider says it is medium rare, but they actually have both MR and WD, and it appears they will assume you want the well done beef unless you specify otherwise.  YMMV - westsider mentions only the MR.  That said, they slice the thing right in front of you, so when the slicer-guy picked up the well done beef, I asked him to switch to red, and he did so without comment or issue.  In the future, I will specify this when I place my order.

The slices are thicker than some might like, but the beef is so tender that one can easily bite through it with just a little (and welcome) resistance.  One quibble - it could use a bit more seasoning, but this was nothing I wasn't able to fix by adding a little salt and pepper to my sandwich.  And there is a good bit of it - 5 ozs, per the slicer-guy, on every sandwich

All the condiments you'd expect from a sandwich shop plus a few others you don't see much (at least aroudn these parts) were there.  For example - you want mustard and/or mayo?  They have more than one type of each.  I added roasted red pepper, no added cost, and these really enhanced the sandwich.  Lettuce was leaf, not iceberg, and etc.   All the toppings I saw, including the ones I added to my sandwich, were of top notch quality

The single side westsider mentioned is included with your sandwich, and this tipped the value scale for me.  I thought the sandwich itself was well worth the 5.95 I paid, but the addition of the free side, while not large, makes this a decent value as well.  I had the garlic couscous, which was decently good albeit fairly plain

For those wanting an less expensive alternative, they have a sandwich of the day called the broomstick.  It's 3.95, smaller than the regular sandwich, and appears to be limited to whatever they pick for the day in terms of protein choice.   But every protein choice I saw on display looked very good, so I'm sure regardless of what the special is, you'll get a good sandwich out of it

One negative from a RF point of view - this place has a bit of a sterile/cookie-cutter/corporate feel to it.  I dont doubt this is intended as just the first location of many, to be duplicated (if successful) all over the city, region, or maybe even the nation. We'll see.  If the quality and price points remain, I'd actually love to see this happen.  Bring one to my neighborhood :-)

UPDATE 20100412: Had the corned beef and swiss on rye, sided w/ a bag o' chips.  I really, really liked this corned beef - juicy, tender but thicker cut than the average Izzy's fan is used to.  6.95+0.50 for cheese =  7.45 w/choice of side, and while I totally get anyone who says that just too damn much to pay for a sandwich - you really should try this sandwich just once.  On the downside - the 'salt rye' was an unsalted swirled pumpernickel, and it was dowsed in melted butter.   It was good quality bread, but was not the bread promised by the signage - and the butter was a bit much.  Also, while the texture, tenderness, and juicyness of the corned beef were spot-on, the flavor of the corned beef could have been more pronounced.   Still, all in all a great sandwich.  I am already thinking about my next visit, mulling either the ham or the bellas on a brioche

UPDATE 20100528: had another red roast beef sandwich, and it was just stellar as before, but again, prices have (as I should have more clearly pointed out in my 4/12 update) gone by a dollar a sandwich mere few months after the initial opening.  I now consider this a pricey treat rather than a spot in the regular rotation.  But yes, an excellent sandwich.
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2010/05/28 13:57:03
westsider12
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/08 14:24:20 (permalink)
Since the side is included, that makes it one heck of a deal.  That was a darn fine sandwich, way better than anything downtown currently that I have found.

Now I just need to hit up Senor Rays and try them out - they were on Fountain Square Opening Day and looked like they did a brisk business.

TJ Jackson

westsider12
Tried the new Wicked-wich downtown last week.  The first result was very encouraging.

Despite the fact that my favorite sandwich if all time - the mama mia at Campo's in Philadelphia - is a deli sandwich, I'm not much of a deli sandwich guy.  Seems like for every 100 I eat, 99 are 'meh' at best, and so very few have really impressed me.  Why eat a 'meh' deli sandwich when you can get an equally 'meh' fast food meal for half the price?  But with my confidence bolstered and curiosity engaged by the strength of westsider's glowing review, I ventured over to Wicked Wich for lunch today, and I too had the roast beef on sourdough baguette.

Bottom line: Very, very good and much better than I thought as a value proposition as well.  I strongly recommend it to anyone lunching downtown

The details: Westsider covered it pretty well, so let me just toss in a few other items I noted.

First, do you like your roast beef red or grey?  My wife wants it cooked through, but I like mine still mooing.   Westsider says it is medium rare, but they actually have both MR and WD, and it appears they will assume you want the well done beef unless you specify otherwise.  YMMV - westsider mentions only the MR.  That said, they slice the thing right in front of you, so when the slicer-guy picked up the well done beef, I asked him to switch to red, and he did so without comment or issue.  In the future, I will specify this when I place my order.

The slices are thicker than some might like, but the beef is so tender that one can easily bite through it with just a little (and welcome) resistance.  One quibble - it could use a bit more seasoning, but this was nothing I wasn't able to fix by adding a little salt and pepper to my sandwich.  And there is a good bit of it - 5 ozs, per the slicer-guy, on every sandwich

All the condiments you'd expect from a sandwich shop plus a few others you don't see much (at least aroudn these parts) were there.  For example - you want mustard and/or mayo?  They have more than one type of each.  I added roasted red pepper, no added cost, and these really enhanced the sandwich.  Lettuce was leaf, not iceberg, and etc.   All the toppings I saw, including the ones I added to my sandwich, were of top notch quality

The single side westsider mentioned is included with your sandwich, and this tipped the value scale for me.  I thought the sandwich itself was well worth the 5.95 I paid, but the addition of the free side, while not large, makes this a decent value as well.  I had the garlic couscous, which was decently good albeit fairly plain

For those wanting an less expensive alternative, they have a sandwich of the day called the broomstick.  It's 3.95, smaller than the regular sandwich, and appears to be limited to whatever they pick for the day in terms of protein choice.   But every protein choice I saw on display looked very good, so I'm sure regardless of what the special is, you'll get a good sandwich out of it

One negative from a RF point of view - this place has a bit of a sterile/cookie-cutter/corporate feel to it.  I dont doubt this is intended as just the first location of many, to be duplicated (if successful) all over the city, region, or maybe even the nation. We'll see.  If the quality and price points remain, I'd actually love to see this happen.  Bring one to my neighborhood :-)

KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/08 14:49:02 (permalink)
westsider12

Since the side is included, that makes it one heck of a deal.  That was a darn fine sandwich, way better than anything downtown currently that I have found.

Now I just need to hit up Senor Rays and try them out - they were on Fountain Square Opening Day and looked like they did a brisk business.

I've had Senor Roy's twice now, the second time being opening day.  They were slammed, and I think the overall quality was hurt just a bit by the increase in volume.   They missed a couple toppings on my tacos, and the tortilla was not as warmed up as the first time I had it.   Having said that, the less good version was still great.  The chunks of meat (I've had the chicken and steak, but the pork looks good too) are a good size - enough for a bite, but not too big, and tender and well seasoned. 

I recommend it.  If you can hit them when they are a little less busy, I'd do that.
post edited by KahnsKrazy - 2010/04/08 14:53:46
BKulinski
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/11 21:39:38 (permalink)
Ok, guys and gals, I know this has nothing to do with 'Roadfood' however it does pertain to eating....do anyone have a recommendation for a caterer for an outdoor Graduation party?  We have only been in the area less than a year and are having trouble finding someone that is not affiliated with a large chain-type restaurant.  I'd love some local place that does catering on the side, homemade foods, etc.  Thanks for any input you can give me.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/12 13:57:50 (permalink)
BKulinski
have a recommendation for a caterer for an outdoor Graduation party?

http://www.lobstabakes.com/

tpd
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/12 16:57:37 (permalink)
BKulinski

Ok, guys and gals, I know this has nothing to do with 'Roadfood' however it does pertain to eating....do anyone have a recommendation for a caterer for an outdoor Graduation party?  We have only been in the area less than a year and are having trouble finding someone that is not affiliated with a large chain-type restaurant.  I'd love some local place that does catering on the side, homemade foods, etc.  Thanks for any input you can give me.

Not sure if it fits the bill for you but everybody's favorite New Orleans To Go is still doing catering.....

http://www.neworleanstogopoboys.com/
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/18 10:11:54 (permalink)
A few 'Coming Soon' announcements for Florence, KY:

1) A banner announcing La Hacienda Real has gone up in front of the old Schlotzsky's Deli on Houston Road.

2) There's a Red Pepper Chinese restaurant going into the Neltner Plaza (next to Boone Co. High School).  No idea if it's affiliated with the restaurant of the same name in Cincinnati.

3) City Barbecue has broken ground on their first Northern Kentucky restaurant.  It will be on KY 18 across from Mall Road in front of Value City Furniture.
tikkanen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/21 00:10:09 (permalink)
GhazThere's a Red Pepper Chinese restaurant going into the Neltner Plaza (next to Boone Co. High School).  No idea if it's affiliated with the restaurant of the same name in Cincinnati.

There was also a Red Pepper szechuan restaurant that closed in Louisville, KY last month due to high rent.  I wonder if it might be them, as well?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/26 16:07:01 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

soozycue520
Yep, they have a sign in the window but it doesn't say when they will open. It has their website posted, but I cannot find any info on the website.

soozycue520
Info about Taqueria Mercado downtown:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/dining/2010/03/22/taqueria-mercado-downtown/

I walked by today on my way back from Bangkok Express, and a fellow out front handing out carryout menus told me they are now open as of today

tacos ala carte: 2.25 each - carne asada, el pastor, barbacoa, pollo, carnitas, chorizo, tripe, suadero, tongue
burritos: 4.25sm 7.00 lg
tortas 5.50  - jamon, breaded steak/chicken, or hot dog(?))
plate lunch specials 5.50 til 3pm - the usual ameri-mexican choices, plus a few others
birria - goat, right? - on the weekend only
mexican coke
flan, chocolate flan, and tres leches cake
they're doing breakfast too

early adopters - westsider, I'm lookin at you :-) - engage!

EDIT 20100428: I stopped in to get a taco around 1pm.  Line to the door, and most of the tables filled.  Looked like they had a waiter....thought this was counter service only place.

post edited by TJ Jackson - 2010/04/28 13:50:21
westsider12
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/27 13:36:48 (permalink)
I'm on it.   I should make it by the end of the week.  Although I may stay away from the tongue...not my favorite.

TJ Jackson

TJ Jackson

soozycue520

soozycue520
Info about Taqueria Mercado downtown:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/dining/2010/03/22/taqueria-mercado-downtown/

I walked by today on my way back from Bangkok Express, and a fellow out front handing out carryout menus told me they are now open as of today

tacos ala carte: 2.25 each - carne asada, el pastor, barbacoa, pollo, carnitas, chorizo, tripe, suadero, tongue
burritos: 4.25sm 7.00 lg
tortas 5.50  - jamon, breaded steak/chicken, or hot dog(?))
plate lunch specials 5.50 til 3pm - the usual ameri-mexican choices, plus a few others
birria - goat, right? - on the weekend only
mexican coke
flan, chocolate flan, and tres leches cake
they're doing breakfast too

early adopters - westsider, I'm lookin at you :-) - engage!

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/28 09:55:09 (permalink)
Found a new local burger blog - well, new to me, at least

http://eightytwenty.tumblr.com

Despite the fact that the ambience is weighted a bit too heavily (dude - its about the food, not the place), and despite rating the *baked* burger at Paula's as the best downtown, it's a good read

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/29 13:53:10 (permalink)

wesleyman
hit up Senor Rays Taco Patrol this week.  Very good and affordable.  Everything tasted and looked super fresh. Here are the steak and chicken tacos. The meat is in big chunks, the veggies and salsa was great and the cheese was good.  Dig the food and the concept.

KahnsKrazy
I've had Senor Roy's twice now, the second time being opening day.  They were slammed, and I think the overall quality was hurt just a bit by the increase in volume.   They missed a couple toppings on my tacos, and the tortilla was not as warmed up as the first time I had it.   Having said that, the less good version was still great.  The chunks of meat (I've had the chicken and steak, but the pork looks good too) are a good size - enough for a bite, but not too big, and tender and well seasoned. 

I recommend it.  If you can hit them when they are a little less busy, I'd do that.

I finally got over to Senor Roy's today, figuring it was nice weather for the 16 block walk uptown and back and the crowd would all be over at the newly opened Tacqueria Mercado.  it's good to be right - even if it only happens occasionally

There was no line when i stepped up to the truck at Main and Central around 1pm.  I asked some questions, and the guys working the truck could not have been more friendly and helpful, even showing me the difference between the two cheese choices - cojita and chihuahua.  2 for $5 or 3 for $6 - hmm - three please, and since they had three meat choices - al pastor, steak, and chicken - I had one of each.  Topped them all with rice, lettuce, tomatoes, diced onion, and cheese.  I forgot to specify corn tortillas and ended up with flour (not sure if that is their default for a customer who fails to specify) so a return visit will be necessary.  My to go box looked much like wesleyman's pic shown above, only more generously filled.

Now, three was too much.  I know, you're thinking of the typical taco you'd get anywhere else, and you're thinking - 3 was not enough.  If you're thinking Taco Bell, yeah, 4-5 might not not enough.  No, no - each taco had between 3-4 ounces of meat and the carryout box in total felt like it weighed nearly a pound.  These babies were easily the most heavily stuffed tacos I have ever had.  Go with 2 unless you're really, really hungry.

The flank steak was the best.  Tender but pleasantly chewy with a good beef flavor, with some spice but mild in heat.  I went with the counterman's recommendations of the salty, crumbly cojita cheese, which I'd never had before, on this taco.  I had intended to take a bite or two from each taco to ensure I had tried each before I got full, but I could not put this one down.  Excellent.  

The al pastor was second.  I don't generally tolerate spice heat well, but this was a slow heat that built and was not unpleasant even to a spice heat wimp like me.   The pork itself was juicy and tender, but lacked the citrus flavor I was expecting.  They did add in some small bits of chopped fresh pineapple, so the flavor was there, just not in the meat as much as I had expected

The chicken was my least favorite but was still a winner.  Not as much total flavor as the other two, being mostly your basic white chicken meat, but tender and fresh and plenty of it.  No spice heat.  Probably more a vehicle for those who (unlike me) heap on more toppings, salsa, sour cream, etc.   No complaints from me if on my next visit, they only have chicken left -- I'd certainly be happy eating it again. 

Gonna have to ask if I can get some lime wedges next time, and of course, corn tortillas.

Oh - and to those of you who like the spice heat, be assured there were plenty of heat-packed options on the list of condiments/toppings/salsas.

Looking forward to comparing these tacos to the ones at the newly opened Tacqueria Mercado

Bottom line: Highly recommended
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2010/04/29 14:21:41
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 521
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/29 20:13:32 (permalink)
Went to Geno's in Milford, a place that we hadn't visited in well over a year for whatever reason, and the place was gone.

It's some kind of confectionary shop now.

That's a shame -- Geno's had pretty good barbeque and excellent wings.
baughman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/30 11:15:00 (permalink)
Ya sadly Geno's has been closed for close to a year now. We ate there from time to time. Then last summer he started closing on random days, and then had a sign up saying he was remodeling. Then he closed.
westsider12
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/30 13:27:53 (permalink)
Made it to Tacqueria Mercado downtown today.  Although normally I like to focus on the positives first, I will point out the negatives:  the place was busy but not crazy, which lead to a long wait to get our food.  Plus it was a bit confusing as to how to order as there is no menu board and very few paper menus were available.  This is specifically related to take out, as the bigger part of the restaurant is devoted to sit down.

Now, having said that, they serve up some darn fine food.  I had the #1 lunch combo, which was a small burrito, refried beans, and rice.  The rice was ok, nothing special.  The beans were excellent, and I am not normally a bean fan.  I wish I would have asked for double beans - they were that good.  Finally, the burrito.  I had the carnitas and was very pleased with the choice.  The "small burrito" is a shade under the size of Chipotle's regular burrito (The large burrito had to be at least 10 inches long).  It was delicious.  It came with more beans, cheese, onions, sour cream, and cilantro.  Seeing as I do not like cilantro, that was a drawback but very minor.  The best part was that the whole thing was only $5.50.  Great value for some really good food.

I will go back but probably try and get there before the lunch crowd to lessen the wait.  Next - the trek to Senor Roys.
Wintem01
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/04/30 14:37:50 (permalink)
Not sure I would donate $250 to a place that MIGHT reopen. The prince of Barundi also wants my bank account number so he can transfer 100 million into it.
Page: << < ..8182838485.. > >> Showing page 83 of 109
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1