AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..8687888990.. > >> Showing page 87 of 109
Author
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/11/17 22:21:47 (permalink)
Rabkin
If presented with a choice between LaRosa's and Tony's, I'd choose the frozen Tony's pizza exactly 0% of the time. 

Well, there's no accounting for taste.  I agree wholeheartedly with Bonk, and I have purchased my own lunch in lieu of eating free LaRosa's at the office on several occasions. It just isn't an option, quite frankly.

I was dismayed to discover that the Newport location of Habanero closed about a month ago...but, again, there's no accounting for taste. Fortunately, it doesn't sound like it will impact the Clifton location at all (unlike Za, where the money pit downtown location brought the Clifton location down with it).
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/11/18 07:15:44 (permalink)
I'm coming to town tomorrow for a college reunion and want to go out for dinner tomorrow night in Cincy.  Preferably close to or near downtown.  Nothing really fancy, and cuisine is open as i like anything.  I'm going with 2 other couples.
Just thought I'd see if you might recommend something. 
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4538
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/11/18 09:59:19 (permalink)
CP: Downtown in the evening is mostly fancy/expensive stuff and/or bars

On 8th street near Main is Arnold's, which is ancient and has a lot of character.  They have a covered outdoor eating area that is kinda interesting, heated so it is open in even the coldest of weather. 

They are closed on Sunday

http://www.arnoldsbarandgrill.com/food.htm

My backup suggestion is Scotti's, a throwback old school italian joint.  http://scottiscincinnati.com/menu/

post edited by TJ Jackson - 2010/11/18 10:02:55
carlton pierre
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/11/18 10:04:12 (permalink)
Thanks, TJ.  That may just fit the bill.  I checked the website and it looks like an awesome place.  If you have any others let me know.
Mr.Br0wn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/11/18 18:58:17 (permalink)
Carmela's Pizzeria in Tri County (Springdale) Opened today where the CiCi's used to be on Kemper. I will not even talk about my 1 and only visit to the former pizza place but this New place has earned my repeat business. I actually bought a 14" Meat lovers for $16.99 and the owner gave me free breadsticks.

The New York Style Pizza had a nice spicy sauce, Pleanty of real Mozzarella cheese and A VERY generous amount of toppings. The yeasty crust was nice and light with a great garlic buttery edge. I enjoyed the first order with my wife and her work mate. It was so good I went back and ordered a SECOND Pizza exactly the same way and took it home for my kids who Loved it! The Tri County Mall area was lacking a good Pizza place until Today! They still serve off the menu or buffet style to suit your desire. Carmela's has 2 other places in the Dayton/Eaton OH area and offer a wide variety of menu items that I am surely going to enjoy. This looks to be the next best find since New Orleans to Go !

dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/11/18 19:19:41 (permalink)
Carlton Pierre, my recommendation would be Nada, although you might be in for a wait on a Friday night if you don't set something up beforehand (read: now). There is nothing wrong with Arnold's, and I have gone there many times to relax with the music and a beer, but I don't find it a particularly memorable dining experience. Nada, on the other hand, is one of the best things downtown has to offer, in my opinion. I cannot recommend their mashed plantains and pork belly tacos highly enough.

http://www.eatdrinknada.com/main.html
carlton pierre
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/11/19 08:44:52 (permalink)
I appreciate the suggestions and will keep Nada in mind for sure, I love Mexican food.  But, I've already made plans to meet my friends at Arnold.s this evening.  I get back to Cincy a lot so Nadas will be on the radar screen.
soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1031
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/11/19 17:11:35 (permalink)
For those interested, I found a new blog on Cincinnati Chili Cheese Coneys. It is a boyfriend/girlfriend team. He is a life-long Cincinnatian; she, a transplant, here for five years. They are going to try different chili parlors and review them. It is brand new.
http://cincyconeyquest.blogspot.com/
carlton pierre
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/11/22 09:14:06 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

On 8th street near Main is Arnold's, which is ancient and has a lot of character.  They have a covered outdoor eating area that is kinda interesting, heated so it is open in even the coldest of weather. 

My backup suggestion is Scotti's, a throwback old school italian joint.  http://scottiscincinnati.com/menu/

Had a great time at Arnold's this past Friday night.  Food was great and so was the service and atmosphere.  I'm guessing it had been 30 years since I was there and long before the enclosed courtyard which was great.  Music was good as well.  really anenjoyable place.

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 521
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/11/23 16:48:22 (permalink)
Had Chester's in Hamilton last weekend for the first time in a few years.

I had completely forgotten how awesome that place is. Not really a thin crust, but the sauce is outstanding, the cheese blend is excellent and the crust the perfect texture -- not too hard but still firm.

There are some great places to eat on Route 4 in that area.
post edited by Bonk - 2010/11/23 16:56:14
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/11/23 16:49:30 (permalink)
soozycue520

For those interested, I found a new blog on Cincinnati Chili Cheese Coneys. It is a boyfriend/girlfriend team. He is a life-long Cincinnatian; she, a transplant, here for five years. They are going to try different chili parlors and review them. It is brand new.

Nice find.

I really need to give the independents a try. I love Skyline, don't care much for Gold Star and really haven't tried conies anywhere else. I had Empress a couple of times a long time ago before I moved here when they had a North College Hill location and thought it was pretty good. Better than Gold Star.

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/11/24 17:52:19 (permalink)
Mr.Br0wn

Carmela's Pizzeria in Tri County (Springdale) Opened today where the CiCi's used to be on Kemper. I will not even talk about my 1 and only visit to the former pizza place but this New place has earned my repeat business. I actually bought a 14" Meat lovers for $16.99 and the owner gave me free breadsticks.

The New York Style Pizza had a nice spicy sauce, Pleanty of real Mozzarella cheese and A VERY generous amount of toppings. The yeasty crust was nice and light with a great garlic buttery edge. I enjoyed the first order with my wife and her work mate. It was so good I went back and ordered a SECOND Pizza exactly the same way and took it home for my kids who Loved it! The Tri County Mall area was lacking a good Pizza place until Today! They still serve off the menu or buffet style to suit your desire. Carmela's has 2 other places in the Dayton/Eaton OH area and offer a wide variety of menu items that I am surely going to enjoy. This looks to be the next best find since New Orleans to Go !

Happy to hear that -- I'll have to try the place out.

Just curious, not so much roadfoodish but have you tried the pizza at BJ's in Tri-County. I really like it.

dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/11/24 18:09:20 (permalink)
Regarding Carmela's, I was less than impressed with their pizza buffet, although that was probably to be expected. I imagine the pizzas taste much better when they haven't been sitting under a heating lamp for X minutes. I am not sure anything could have helped the white pizza, which was incredibly salty, to the point of being inedible. One could dine at the buffet and bypass pizza altogether, however; there were no less than four different salads, four different pastas, and several chicken dishes to boot. I will go back to sample the rest of the stuff at some point, and the lunch buffet pricing isn't bad at all...$7.50 with a drink, $7 without.
carlton pierre
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/11/25 07:17:07 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

Sorry, TJ  I thought I had typed in a report on my visit to Arnold's last weekend but I guess I botched it,
I'll try again.  Had a great time at Arnold's.  Good food and music.  Loved the courtyard.  I hadn't been there in 30 years and the courtyard was a really nice addition.
I had a great breakfast Saturday morning on Monmouth St in Newport, can't remember the name of it, just a hole in the wall.  Looks like lots of really neat holes in the wall in Newport.

Rabkin
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/11/28 20:33:27 (permalink)
Missed it by that much.
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/12/01 16:51:39 (permalink)
soozycue520

While a neat idea, it will be perhaps the shortest blog I have seen in a long time as eating a coney a week, you will be out of places to review in 3 months.
Last summer did a small chili crawl with local car enthusiats that hit Pleasant Ridge chili, Camp washington, Chili Tyme and Dixie. Add to that all the places covered by the tour Cajun King, buffetbuster, Bob, mariton and others did a few years ago and you've got 90% of it covered.  Now it's all in one spot on the interwebz, but Ill be curious how they rate them because each Cincinnatian has their own favorite when it comes to chili, and most have a differing favorites if ordering coneys or chili spaghetti .

As for Tri-County pizza, I too was going to suggest BJ's.  While not epically heavenly, it does exceed most of the pies found in the region, and definately those found in that area. A little pricey, but I have yet to be disappointed.

Jerry
jjjrfoodie
post edited by jjjrfoodie - 2010/12/01 16:55:58
KahnsKrazy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/12/14 14:23:09 (permalink)
Tried the relatively new Mellow Mushroom Pizza place in Wilder.  It's part of a chain, but I really liked the pizza.  I had the house special which is loaded with about 9 toppings.  I really want to go back and try a pepperoni only pizza.  Hard to really get a sense for the pizza when it's totally covered over.

What I can say is that the toppings are of excellent quality.  Good size pieces of bacon, fresh veggies, etc. 

I spent 3 years working in a pizza place, and I know it's difficult to put that many items on a pizza and have it cook at all, much less taste good when it's done, so I was impressed.

They also have an extensive draft and bottled beer selection.

I hear it can take quite a while.  We went early, and it was not busy at all.  Our pizza still took nearly half an hour.  The service was very attentitive, and we enjoyed a small greek salad (plenty big enough to split between 2) while we waited.

Overall, very enjoyable, and I plan to return.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/12/15 18:00:50 (permalink)
I was looking at the site, and I can see why it would take a while to cook one of those pizzas. It looks really thick.

I'm curious -- from the photos it looks like parmesan is baked into the crust. Is that the case or do I need better glasses?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2010/12/27 15:38:40 (permalink)
Terry's Turf Club reviewed on "A Hamburger Today":
http://aht.seriouseats.co...iew-cincinnati-oh.html
westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2011/01/18 10:41:30 (permalink)
I finally had a chance to get over to the Riverside BBQ joint last week.  It is part of the Riverside drive through right off of River Road just outside of downtown.  I wanted to try the pork and the brisket so I ordered a pulled pork sandwich and a baked potato topped with brisket.  This was an interesting combination and one that I must say I would definitely try again.  Both meats were good but not great in that they were sitting in a warming tray too long and were a tad dried out.  I was there on a Friday and the owner said normally they do a pretty brisk business, esp. on Fridays so the meat tends to not sit around too much.  No sauce on the meat was a plus but the side of sauce was rather bland and did not help much with the dried meat.  However the potato was very good and came topped with bacon, cheese, sour cream, and green onions.  The brisket was a really nice compliment to this.

Overall, a decent meal but nothing to drive a long way for.  The sandwich was $6 and the potato was $5 so it was not crazy expensive and the portions were large. 

www.bbqanddrivethru.com
soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1031
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2011/01/19 20:03:42 (permalink)
No more Chicken Joy at Tower Place Mall, downtown. It is now a Slammim' Burger.  I grabbed a cheeseburger and onion rings on Saturday, and must say, I was impressed. Not great, but much better than expected. The bun was very good. They didn't ask how I wanted it cooked (their web menu says are burgers are cooked well done), but it was not a dry, overcooked burger. I asked for no tomato, no ketchup. The onions on the burger were sauteed. The onion rings were real, sliced onions. Not really something to go out of your way for, but I will definitely be back to try the mushroom swiss burger.
The website is a little obnoxious~~
http://slamminburger.com/Home.html
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2011/01/26 16:12:20 (permalink)
6-7 dollars is a lot to pay for a fast food burger combo, imho

on other fronts: I have heard it reported several times that the recession ended over a year and a half ago.  I laugh every time i hear it - it is nowhere near over, at least locally.   I noted this week three different long-running eateries I know of went out of business:  Roly Poly and Backstage Deli downtown, and the Mt Adams Fish House in Mt Adams.  I was not fond of any of these three, but they had each been in business many years and had survived deep into this current (yes, CURRENT) recession, and their passing is imho quite telling.
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2011/01/27 15:25:14
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2011/01/27 14:25:17 (permalink)
A Tavola Pizza close to opening according to Slice.com

http://slice.seriouseats....cinnati.html#continued
Mr.Br0wn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2011/01/28 17:38:54 (permalink)
Empress Chili on vine (Near Galbraith) in Hartwell just opened their doors back up yesterday after a long closure.they are under new ownership. They now have a Baked Chili Cheese Pizza that is amazing! along with the traditional offerings.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1181
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2011/01/30 12:04:04 (permalink)
http://www.greendogcafe.net
Happened into this pleasant Columbia-Tusculum place at the suggestion of a friend, and went back less than a month later -- something of a record for us, since we choose our dining locations carefully.
The watchword here is sustainability -- sustainability in ingredients and in the restaurant's decor, flatware, and serving pieces, all of which consist largely of recycled materials. Lots of organic, sustainable, local suppliers of ingredients.
A light, airy location with spacious booths and tables, an unobtrusive TV, and a selection of periodicals, The Green Dog Cafe is a pleasant, low-key location with high culinary standards.
We've had a seafood chowder that was quite good. Baba Ghanouj is brightly colored and perfectly cooked and seasoned. The "Hey Perro" wrap is a symphony of beans, rice, cheese and vegetables, too big for one person. The BLT is augmented by a slab of fresh roasted turkey breast. And the Mom & Pop Dog proves that "sustainable" doesn't mean "crunchy health food" -- it's a madcap bacon-wrapped deep-fried dog augmented by dijon, pineapple salad, and a tomato jam all on a homemade bun. Our 17-year-old was in heaven. The GD Fries are wonderful skin-on fries accompanied by a tomato-banana ketchup and a honey curry mayo.
Fine wine and beer selection, very reasonably priced.
Service is walk-in, order, and it's brought to your table. All prices include tip, and no entree is more than $14.
We will definitely be back.

roarke
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2011/02/01 15:46:50 (permalink)
Hi everyone. I'm taking an interviewee out for breakfast tomorrow (2/2) around 7:30 am. I'm trying to find a place within 10 minutes of Children's Hospital. Does anyone have any good suggestions? I'd take her to Tucker's, but I'm looking for something a little nicer in terms of neighborhood and eating environment.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2011/02/01 16:18:04 (permalink)
My first thought is to direct you to Sugar-n-Spice in Bond Hill, but some might say that neighborhood is a little questionable as well

My second thought is Anabelle's in Mt Lookout (http://www.citybeat.com/c...ls-%28review%29.html), but thats probably a bit outside the travel time you specified.

Bonbonerie in OBryonville (http://bonbonerie.com/cafe/) has a breakfast menu and good reviews, but the menu is very limited, so I am not sure that is a fit.

If distance were not such a factor, I would recommend The Original Pancake House in Montgomery or Colonial Cottage Inn in Erlanger.

So sadly, I will instead recommend a chain my wife likes - First Watch.  You have one downtown (closer but parking will likely be an issue) and one in Hyde Park (farther away, but plenty of parking)

Others to consider: Hitching Post in Hyde Park/Oakley, The Echo in Hyde Park, Blue Jay in Northside.  All three are more of the 'greasy spoon' type than a fancy breakfast

Regardless of what you pick, call and make sure they are open before you go.  Businesses have been closing suddenly all over Cincinnati. 

(oh, and.....welcome to Roadfood, roarke)
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2011/02/01 16:40:24
roarke
Junior Burger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2011/02/02 06:09:20 (permalink)
Good morning. Thank you for the great suggestions! Yes, I'm really struggling with my predilection for "greasy spoon" vs. somewhere nicer to take a candidate for her first meeting with someone from the organization! I'm new here (Cincinnati and Roadfood). So, thank you also for the welcome.   
post edited by roarke - 2011/02/03 08:23:54
roarke
Junior Burger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2011/02/03 08:20:44 (permalink)
Hi everyone. Thanks again for the input on breakfast. Well, the great winter storm delayed the candidate's arrival (coming from Chicago). So, we didn't get to do breakfast. We DID get to do lunch. Given the review immediately above, I took her to Green Dog Cafe. We enjoyed it. I agree with the review in its entirety and don't have much to add. I would note you can get Jeni's Ice Cream there ( jenisicreams.com). Pricey ice cream. But, it looked good! We decided against ice cream on the blustery day, but I'll be back.

PS. I know some of you replied via PM. I can't reply via PM until I've been a member for 15 days. I didn't want you to think I'd ignored you.
post edited by roarke - 2011/02/08 11:39:08
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2011/02/07 18:34:07 (permalink)
Mr.Br0wn

Empress Chili on vine (Near Galbraith) in Hartwell just opened their doors back up yesterday after a long closure.they are under new ownership. They now have a Baked Chili Cheese Pizza that is amazing! along with the traditional offerings.

I was glad to hear this. While Empress is not high on my list of local Cincy Chili favorities, I'm still happy to have the choice to eat there when in the area.

Also stopped into Camp Washington Chili today for lunch only to find the parking lot full and a good sized film crew shooting an episode of something for Discovery Channel. Signs said the working title was "Road Eats" and the staff of the Discovery Channel appologizes for any dining inconvenience.

Should be interesting to to see what it's for.

Also ran by the new J. Gumbos restaurant to pick up a menu.
Locati0on is on Cheviot Rd. just north of Jessup in the old pizzeria bldg.

I'll try and snag some food next week but doing good cajun and creole food is not for the novice restaurant operator.

Menu:

Jerry
jjjrfoodie
Page: << < ..8687888990.. > >> Showing page 87 of 109
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1