AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..9192939495.. > >> Showing page 95 of 109
Author
sudie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/07 20:53:31 (permalink)
We just had dinner at Pera's Mediteranian in Mt. lookout Sq. Very, very good Mediterrainian food. We got the sampler appetizer platter...great hummus and tabbouleh, and a few other things, like stuffed grape leaves, all served with warm pita. We also had the platter for two, with basmati rice, lamb chops, shish kebab, garnished with tzastiki sauce. Very good and reasonably priced. We were one of 4 tables on a Saturday night. This place is great and serves food we're supposed to be eating. Anyone else had experiences here? I'd go again in a heartbeat.
DwayneB
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/08 21:06:01 (permalink)
Hello forum, long time lurker here... back in Cincy after a 9 year absence.

This weekend I ate twice at the same restaurant - it's called Copper Blue in Milford, located on Route 28 as head into the center of town.  This location was a Friendly's many years ago.

Their turkey BLT was awesome with thick slices of bacon on Texas Toast (warm, not cold).  The crown jewel though was a pulled pork sandwich topped with slaw, fried egg, and hand cut fries.  The salads and scratch made dressings are great too.  The owners are Cincinnati locals, and opening this restaurant was their dream. You can tell that a lot of love goes into this food.  They are quickly developing a loyal following there in Milford.  Stop in you won't be disappointed.

post edited by DwayneB - 2012/07/08 21:19:33
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/15 18:14:46 (permalink)
Thanks TJ for teh NOTG update.  I sw that in Polly Campbell's blog and forgot to mentally note it.

Bonk

The owner ran pizza places in the Pittsburgh area years ago and clearly knows what he's doing. Highly recommended for late-night chow.

And thus why it is the bar/pizza joint  of choice for local "Steeler backers" on Sundays during NFL season. And trust me, it's a zoo on those days.

In the sad new catagory,   Empress Chili on the westdside on Rapid Run pk. has closed. It was one of the parlors done on the roadfood  Cliff and Donald orchestrated chili crawl years ago.
There are still several locations of Empress Chili around (I prefer the Vine St. Hatrtwell location) and you can still find it in the frozen section of your grocer's market in tubs if in Cincy.

post edited by jjjrfoodie - 2012/07/15 18:20:22
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4538
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/15 19:34:21 (permalink)
I have been to the new pizza joint on Mainstrasse in Covington - Goodfellas - three times over the past week

This is not to be confused with the Good Fellows that Bonk and JJR are talking, nor with the old Godfathers chain, nor Roc-a-fellas in Sharonville (and i believe also in Mason)

They make a truly excellent and authentic ny style pizza and sell it by the slice for 3 bucks apiece.  This would seem a bit high until you learn the slices are cut from a 22 inch pie.  Yes, you read that right - 22 inches.  They have a display counter for their slices that holds 6 of these pies, so whereas some places will sell a slice, here, this is their focus.

The choice of toppings is not the largest I have seen, but is far better than average = all the usual suspects plus things like artichoke, steak, sun dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, ricotta, cheddar, and more.  They charge the same price per topping, so if you are a fan of 'gourmet' toppings but don't like paying the gourmet prices, this is the place for you.  I will say the sausage they use - sliced, not chunked - looks great on the slice but has a very mild flavor, so skip this if you (like me) prefer a more flavorful protein.  On the other hand the pepperoni was good, and the sun dried tomatoes were piled on generously.

The crust is just about perfect - super thin on the inner crust with plenty of chew, and a nicey airy outer crust with a little char and great hole structure.  Although they use a very new gas fired deck over, it is brick lined and the crust is baked directly on the deck, so the bottom crust usually gets some better than average browing, sometimes even a little charring.   The cheese is good quality and a bit salty, which I like.  If I had to pick a weak spot, it'd be the sauce, which is good, not sweet at all, but could use a little more italian herbs and garlic to give it a bit more punch. 

I almost didn't give it a try because it is actually part of a Lexington based chain, but there are only three locations so we're not talking Dominos here, nor even Angilos. 

This place is worth a special trip, imho, just to try it; and I will be updating this entry in the near future once I try a few of their sandwiches and the calzone.

I am very, very surprised by the 78% on Urbanspoon right now - possibly the other pizza joints on that same block are piling on in the comments?  http://www.urbanspoon.com...las-Pizzeria-Covington
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2012/07/16 18:50:22
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/16 14:50:24 (permalink)
Sounds great!
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 521
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/18 05:19:31 (permalink)
After about nine months of posting "coming soon" signs, Chicago Gyros in Clifton has closed to move across the street. I walked into the new place and they said they'd be re-opening there in about two weeks.

Looks like they're adding hot dogs and Italian beef to their menu.

Too bad I had my heart set on a gyro there today and wasn't able to get my fix.
DwayneB
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/19 19:17:43 (permalink)
I've been away for a while (like 9 years)  Where are the best pizza pies in Cincy these days? 
donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 293
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/19 20:51:51 (permalink)
DwayneB
I've been away for a while (like 9 years)  Where are the best pizza pies in Cincy these days? 

Oh, no. Not again....

Think Kettering, not Cincinnati. Think Albanian, not Italian.

I'll get out of the way now.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/19 22:47:48 (permalink)
*laffing at Donw*

I current favor 4 Cincinnati pizza joints for thin crust pizza

In no particular order: Brooklyn Pizza and Pasta on Montgomery Road, Deweys (any location), Cosmic Pizza in Hartwell, and Goodfellas in Covington's Mainstrasse

In the stuffed/deep dish category, I like Mios (any location) and Bourbon House in Florence
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/21 17:48:06 (permalink)
Welcome, DwayneB. :)

Is Bourbon House still there? If so I totally agree.

There are a couple of parking lot food set-ups out east recently that I've tried.

Pa's BBQ is on Beechmont Ave. in Anderson Twp. in the parking lot of Ameristop. It's not Eli's but it's not bad either. It's a one-man operation (he's a retiree and a really nice guy), and his ribs are pretty darn good.

On weekends there a Vienna hot dog stand that's set up in the parking lot in front of O'Neal's, right next to the former Red Chopsticks, also on Beechmont in Anderson. $3 a dog, and any time it's a Vienna dog it's going to be good.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/21 21:17:10 (permalink)
Poppy seeded buns, Bonk?

Fluorescent green relish?
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/22 17:26:22 (permalink)
Haha, no poppy seed buns.

Everyone scratches their heads when I tell them this, but I get Vienna hot dogs plain or with just mustard. I want to taste the hot dog. I can get all that other stuff anywhere.

soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/23 21:06:25 (permalink)
I have not been here, so I cannot vouch for the quality, but it sounds promising. The neighborhood is changing, so he may well have a good chance. When I go for take out, I will let you all know!!

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120721/ENT01/307210081/Clifton-BBQ-restaurant-offers-healthy-choices
DwayneB
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/24 19:38:32 (permalink)
Last night I tried Brooklyn's Pizza and Pasta on Montgomery Road and it was a good New York style pizza that seemed pretty authentic.  Only reason to ding them was that my crust was a little scorched in the center, but ingredient quality was outstanding, and sauce and cheese were fantastic. 
post edited by DwayneB - 2012/07/24 19:48:32
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/24 21:00:10 (permalink)
soozycue520
 I have not been here, so I cannot vouch for the quality, but it sounds promising.

We went to the original location about a year ago thanks to a Groupon, but never went back due to the location itself (which, while not too inconvenient for us, was in a terrible part of town and not particularly inviting inside or out). We quite enjoyed the turkey tips and mac and cheese, but the baked beans were too sweet and too runny for my taste. He does a good sauce as well. I'm glad to see that he has moved up to nicer digs, and we will be back as a result.

I promised some thoughts on Django Western Taco in Northside, but I think I need to make a return trip first, as the menu has been downsized and altered a bit from our initial visit. (The menu images on Yelp reflect the updated menu.) I will say that I was a bit annoyed that everything was a la carte (including the toppings for the tacos), and I was not blown away or even particularly impressed by anything but the queso chorizo dip, which is the best queso dip I have had anywhere.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4978
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/30 14:14:15 (permalink)
Bonk
Everyone scratches their heads when I tell them this, but I get Vienna hot dogs plain or with just mustard. I want to taste the hot dog. I can get all that other stuff anywhere.

Same for me - just mustard, and an extra pickle spear, please!  Although I eat the pickles separately and not as part of the dog.

Brad
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1181
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/31 11:56:13 (permalink)
The earlier mentioned Say Cheese at the Riverside Antique Mall on Kellogg looks closed. Looks like (yet) another restaurant is going in. Talked to somebody there, and she was vague; "we're just turnin' it into a bar and grill."
sudie
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/31 21:04:50 (permalink)
Tried Strong's Brick Oven Pizza last night. Closed on Mondays. Husband was not amused.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/31 21:45:55 (permalink)
jmckee

The earlier mentioned Say Cheese at the Riverside Antique Mall on Kellogg looks closed. Looks like (yet) another restaurant is going in. Talked to somebody there, and she was vague; "we're just turnin' it into a bar and grill."

I swear either one of my posts about this was deleted or I'm losing my mind and just thought I posted about it. Maybe both.

I went there a couple of weeks ago and it looked closed. Sign was gone as well. I was sad. 

sudie
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/07/31 22:37:48 (permalink)
We ended up at the Green Derby as we wanted to walk to the Reds game. What a blast from the past. The best was the French fried eggplant which was almost like what we'd remembered from the storied F&N. Derby salad was good too ; sweet and sour dressing with bacon atop shredded iceberg lettuce, although cabbage would have been better, IMHO. Inexpensive dinner, and we walked to the game. We'll try Strong's another night.
zippypinhead
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/08/08 11:41:55 (permalink)
I'll be spending my weekend down in Cincinnati working in a brewery north of downtown. I'm staying up in Blue Ash.
Looking for dinner recomendations. And, yes, I've gone back a ways on this thread but have found several dead links.
So; northern area, don't care for chains, tried the chili a couple of times already and just looking for nice casual places for dinner. (prefer somewhere with a bar as i"m traveling solo & hate to sit at a table alone)
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/08/08 22:54:14 (permalink)
I'm not much on bars so I will be no help there, but

For a nice ny-style pastrami sandwich, matzo ball soup, blitnzes, knish, etc etc - Rascal's Deli

I really like the pizza at Brooklyn Pizza and Pasta on Montgomery Road

You should stop just once at the Root Beer Stand in Sharonville for some root beer

Tho I've not been there, lot of folks really love Smoque in Springdale, which is about 3-4 miles west of your location off I-275.  Pretty sure they have a bar.

If Smoque is not too far out of your way, on that same road but a little south is my favorite Thai restaurant in town - Tan Thai.  Make sure you get Tan Thai and not the copycat that has sprung up next door
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/08/09 07:21:23 (permalink)
You will be hard-pressed to find a non-chain casual place with a bar in the Blue Ash area. Off the top of my head, the only one I can think of is The Firehouse Grill (formerly Apsara) at Reed Hartman and Lake Forest Drive, but I've never been.

SmoQ is a good recommendation, about a 10 minute drive west from where you will be. Also, if you head east on Kemper Road into northern Montgomery, there are a number of choices as well. Silver Spring House (primarily known for their chicken) is at the corner of Kemper and Snider, and deSha's (which has a large casual bar area and a fairly extensive alcohol selection) is on Montgomery just south of Kemper, next to Dewey's Pizza. We also enjoy The Korea House across the street from there (in the small strip "behind" Buffalo Wild Wings).
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/08/09 08:16:25 (permalink)
SMOQ has a bar and the best ribs tips in town and a lot more:

http://smoqbbq.com/index.html

Motorcyle cop training groups dine there regularly.
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2012/08/09 08:52:43
zippypinhead
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/08/09 21:08:57 (permalink)
Wound up over at the Firehouse Grill this evening. Excellent recomendation. It was just what I was looking for. Thanks. 
Anything else in the area similar? I don't mind driving for a bit... half an hour or so as long as I don't wind up downtown where I never can figure out where to park....
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/08/11 13:18:22 (permalink)
Based on Firehouse's menu and drink selection, I think deSha's might be a good fit. It shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to get there, and you wouldn't even need to get on the interstate if you took Kemper Road east the entire way. It has multiple drinking and dining areas, and the more casual bar/dining section is to the right.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/08/12 15:31:41 (permalink)
InCahoots. I have eaten there and it was great, but I know they have changed chefs since I was there. It is in a strip mall by K-Mart and Kroger, but don't hold that against the place.
http://www.incahootsohio.com/
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/08/12 15:46:09 (permalink)
Also, here are a couple of places I cannot vouch for, since I have never been, but I know they have a bar.

Sammy's Gourmet Burgers and Beer gets pretty good reviews on Urbanspoon (which you should also check out http://www.urbanspoon.com/c/32/Cincinnati-restaurants.html).
http://www.sammysnow.com/

Slatt's Pub
http://www.slattspub.com/

Parker's Blue Ash Tavern
http://www.selectrestaurants.com/parkersblue/dev/placeholder.php

I know you have tried the chili, but Blue Ash Chili is the only chili parlor I know of that serves alcohol.
http://www.blueashchili.com/
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/08/13 13:52:03 (permalink)
soozycue520

I know you have tried the chili, but Blue Ash Chili is the only chili parlor I know of that serves alcohol.
http://www.blueashchili.com/

Price Hill Chili on Glenway serves alcohol too Soozeycue.

And just to bring it up, Chicago Gyro in Clifton is now open for business.  I stopped in on Friday while I was waiting for food at Deep India as I had a Indian hankerin' I got my gryo fix to boot.  LOL
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2012/08/13 17:42:38 (permalink)
zippypinhead

Wound up over at the Firehouse Grill this evening. Excellent recomendation. It was just what I was looking for. Thanks. 
Anything else in the area similar? I don't mind driving for a bit... half an hour or so as long as I don't wind up downtown where I never can figure out where to park....

I haven't been there, but I've heard really good things about the food at Logo's Sports Bar on Blue Ash Rd. A little more blue collar than most places in that area, but not at all a rough crowd.

I'd recommend Chester's Pizza on Rt. 4 about 20 minutes away, but they're carry-out only.

post edited by Bonk - 2012/08/13 17:44:43
Page: << < ..9192939495.. > >> Showing page 95 of 109
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1