Irish Whiskey

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2008/12/05 11:29:21
I am planning to get my dad a bottle of Irish Whiskey for Christmas. I wanted to get something that he normally would not buy for himself. So that rules out Jameson and Bushmills. Are there any favorites out there in the $40 to $50 range?

Thanks.
fabulousoyster
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/05 11:53:35
My favorite is Bushmills, why not give him another bottle of a fine Irish Whisky? It won't go to waste.....
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/05 11:57:53
There are only three distilleries in Ireland: New Midleton Distillery ( who makes Jamesons, among other), Old Bushmills Distillery (all Old Bushmills, Black Bush, 1608, Bushmills 10-, 12- and 16- and 21-year-old single malts), and Cooley Distillery (Connemara, Knappogue, Michael Collins, Tyrconnell).

So, there is some limitation. Cooley is the only distillery completely Irish owned.
Michael Collins blended will cost about ~$30-35. The Single malt can be found in your price range as well.
http://www.mysimon.com/9015-10971_8-37159237.html
Tyrconnel is a traditional still pot whisky as is Midleton.
hatteras04
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/05 14:31:03
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

There are only three distilleries in Ireland: New Midleton Distillery ( who makes Jamesons, among other), Old Bushmills Distillery (all Old Bushmills, Black Bush, 1608, Bushmills 10-, 12- and 16- and 21-year-old single malts), and Cooley Distillery (Connemara, Knappogue, Michael Collins, Tyrconnell).

So, there is some limitation. Cooley is the only distillery completely Irish owned.
Michael Collins blended will cost about ~$30-35. The Single malt can be found in your price range as well.

In your opinion is the single malt Michael Collins worth the extra price? I read descriptions of them but obviously can't tell from that. I guess I could do some testing but it would be cheaper if someone more expert than myself on the subject let me know.

Thanks for the advice.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/05 15:00:51
I don't know how much it would cost to ship to the U.S. but Paddy might be interesting to buy. I've never seen it anywhere in the U.S. and when ever I have a friend going to Europe, I have them buy me a bottle for it's novelty.

I'm not a big Irish Whiskey fan, but it's pretty smooth to me and friends who like Irish Whiskey have also said it's good. This is the Whiskey that K.O. Doogan was stealing from the ship in the movie 'On the Waterfront' and they also drank it in the movie 'Waking Ned Devine'.

If it IS available in the U.S., I'm sure a roadfooder will point it out, but I don't believe they export it.

An Irsih guy in a bar told me it's kind of a less than premium Irish Whiskey, but he was quite drunk at the time and also mad as New Zealand was beating Ireland in rugby and I think he was against anything I spoke of.

Link to drinkshop below.

Thanks,

Eric

http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php?prodid=1175
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/05 15:10:33
quote:
Originally posted by hatteras04

quote:

In your opinion is the single malt Michael Collins worth the extra price? I read descriptions of them but obviously can't tell from that. I guess I could do some testing but it would be cheaper if someone more expert than myself on the subject let me know.

Thanks for the advice.

I've only had the blend. So, I don't know. I usully have Jameson. The cheapest way, of course, to find out the difference is to head to your local whiskey bar and try a shot of each on the rocks, or neat. Or, get a shot of the single malt, and ask the bartender what the difference in taste is like. Then, you're only buying one drink.

There's a Fado Irish Restaurant in Columbus. We have one here in DC, and it's great with a large selection of Irish whiskeys. This would be a good place to start your research
hatteras04
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/05 15:55:17
quote:

There's a Fado Irish Restaurant in Columbus. We have one here in DC, and it's great with a large selection of Irish whiskeys. This would be a good place to start your research

That's an excellent idea. Now I have something to do this weekend.

eruby
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/05 15:58:06
quote:
Originally posted by hatteras04
quote:

That's an excellent idea. Now I have something to do this weekend.
Please ask if they have Paddy or if they know if it's exported.

Thank you.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/05 19:30:03
I'm not much of a drinker these days but I do like Jameson's Irish whiskey quite a bit.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/05 20:24:58
It's all "fine stuff".
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/05 21:09:15
The way I hear it,there's only three distilleries in Ireland and they're all owned by Jameson - although they may make different styles of whiskey.

Cheers, John
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/06 02:33:59
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

The way I hear it,there's only three distilleries in Ireland and they're all owned by Jameson - although they may make different styles of whiskey.

Cheers, John

no, not so regarding ownership. But, yes, only three distilleries.
kirstine
Cheeseburger
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/06 09:08:23
I actually live in Bushmills and have friends and family who work in the distillery so I always have an abundance of Bushmills whiskey, but I'm not complaining, its good stuff especially Black Bush!

Regarding ownership Bushmills is owned by Diageo as is Jameson I think,from what I know some of the Jameson whiskey is actually bottled in the Bushmills distillery! Diageo also owns the Baileys and Guiness brands.

As for a gift, I know you said you wanted to stay away from the brands your father usually buys, but how about a personalised bottle of Bushmills or a bottle of the 1608 anniversary special addition?

http://www.bushmills.com/en-row/home/Bushmills_home/
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/06 11:48:10
In Maryland, I picked up a bottle of Potcheen-that is how it is spelled on the label- might make a good novelty gift for him.
SeamusD
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/12 13:46:44
I like Tyrconnell when I can find it... it's not quite as smooth as Jameson or Bushmills (in my opinion), but I like the slight extra bite.

That did it. I know of one place close by that serves it, might have to stop by for a Guinness and whiskey after work.
PaulBPool
Cheeseburger
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/12 14:02:17
If you can find it, Jameson 18 year old is an exceptionally good drink, it has a very nice complex flavor to it. If you can't find the 18, then try the Jameson 12 year old. That's the stuff they used to call "1780" and it's always been a nice treat.
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/12 14:09:48
My two favorites are Feckin and Locke's.

Feckin is available in Binny's, my local (Chicago) liquor store. At around $22 per bottle I think it is cheap. Buy two.

Locke's is available by mail order from Ireland. I agree with their website that recommends the blend over the single malt for all purpose use. Around $40+ per bottle.

Enjoy.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/15 09:16:43
quote:
Originally posted by tsores

My two favorites are Feckin and Locke's.

Feckin is available in Binny's, my local (Chicago) liquor store. At around $22 per bottle I think it is cheap. Buy two.

Locke's is available by mail order from Ireland. I agree with their website that recommends the blend over the single malt for all purpose use. Around $40+ per bottle.

Enjoy.

what is "all purpose use?"
for $40 and more per bottle, there's only two uses: straight up or on the rocks. Certainly are not going to use a mixer on a $40 bottle.

another one of my favorite sayings to loathe: "everyday use." Well, every day, I want a quality drink when I come home. Not something cheap and lousy. So, for me, every day, better be something good.

here's my idea of "all purpose:" Smirnoff Vodka. Clean enough to have a shot, inexpensive enough to use with mixers. It makes great vodka drinks without the lousy aftertaste of really cheap vodkas, but won't burn a whole a hole in your wallet. Price: less than $20 per liter (with tax).
crew84row
Cheeseburger
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/16 12:45:59
quote:

I like Red Breast pot stilled( a now unique process), which is brewed by Irish Distillers (old New Middleton)who make Powers and Jameson. Owned by Pernod, I think. But I enjoy sipping Connemara at our local Irish Pub and frequently go for Knappogue Castle on the rocks when I'm in the mood for something lighter.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/16 12:50:24
I've not had any in a while, but I used to really enjoy Tullamore Dew.
porkbeaks
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/16 13:05:18
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I've not had any in a while, but I used to really enjoy Tullamore Dew.

I'm with you, Michael. My niece's husband (a Campbell) has poured me a number of Irish whiskeys over the years. The "Dew" wins out over Bushmill's and the regular version of Jameson's. pb
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
RE: Irish Whiskey 2008/12/16 20:03:12
I am more of a JAMESON drinker but I enjoy the dew and my namesake Powers. Given a choice I drink Jameson Special Reserve or Jameson Gold.

Walt
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Irish Whiskey 2009/01/06 13:07:27
Had some Clontarf last night. I liked it. Has anyone else tried it?
hatteras04
RE: Irish Whiskey 2009/01/06 15:30:48
Just an update.   I found the single malt Michael Collins at the first store I went to and I got that for him.  He got me a bottle of Powers. 
Roy
Cheeseburger
RE: Irish Whiskey 2009/01/24 16:53:46
There is a product out there called "The Knot" which is bottled by the Knot Irish Spirits Co in Bailieboro County Cavan Ireland according to the label.  It is 100 proof so it packs a punch and according to it's internet ads, it is supposed to be drunk straight from a shot glass only.  Knot cocktail is one part Knot, one part shot glass.
It doesn't claim to be Irish Whiskey so I really don't know what you would call it.....it is definitely different.  It has a strong vanilla or butterscotch aroma and flavor which I find sickeningly sweet.
How this fits in this thread?  It's inexpensive, (around $25), it's Irish and it isn't something anyone would buy for themselves (more than once at least).
rouxdog
RE: Irish Whiskey 2009/01/24 18:55:22
Hope your Dad is enjoying his Irish whiskey.  I usually go through a couple bottles each winter. Irish coffee warms the body and soul! The simple version, hot strong black coffee, whiskey and a squirt of whipped cream. Last month I picked up a bottle of both Jameson and Bushmills. Works for me.
cavandre
RE: Irish Whiskey 2009/01/27 08:44:30
rouxdog
. ..Irish coffee warms the body and soul! The simple version, hot strong black coffee, whiskey and a squirt of whipped cream.

Don't you hate it when they mess this up & dump some Creme de Menthe on the top of it?

RedJim64
Cheeseburger
RE: Irish Whiskey 2009/01/27 09:44:33
kirstinem1

I actually live in Bushmills and have friends and family who work in the distillery so I always have an abundance of Bushmills whiskey, but I'm not complaining, its good stuff especially Black Bush!

Regarding ownership Bushmills is owned by Diageo as is Jameson I think,from what I know some of the Jameson whiskey is actually bottled in the Bushmills distillery! Diageo also owns the Baileys and Guiness brands.

As for a gift, I know you said you wanted to stay away from the brands your father usually buys, but how about a personalised bottle of Bushmills or a bottle of the 1608 anniversary special addition? 

http://www.bushmills.com/en-row/home/Bushmills_home/

How does Diageo, if it owns both Bushmills & Jameson deal with the everlasting friction in Ireland that Bushmills is the Prod whiskey, Jameson is the Catholic whiskey?

post edited by RedJim64 - 2009/01/27 09:45:53
kirstine
Cheeseburger
RE: Irish Whiskey 2009/01/27 10:47:33
Hmmm not soo sure on that question, maybe I'm too young! lol

I've never really heard of that until you mentioned it! Bushmills is made in Northern Ireland which is mainly Protestant whereas Jameson is from the south which is predominately Catholic.  I've never heard of any of the religions favouring one over the other for this reason here.  The majority of the bars I've been in sell both brands.

I'd drink either to be honest, although Bushmills seems to be the more popular as I keep getting bottles given to me! lol

Anyway the Irish will pretty much drink anything...
mollydingle
Cheeseburger
RE: Irish Whiskey 2009/02/18 18:47:02
 Bushmills vs. Jameson is a real issue here in the Boston area.
 I know 2 or 3 bars that don't serve Bushmills because it's perceived to be the "Protestant brew"...
RedJim64
Cheeseburger
RE: Irish Whiskey 2009/02/19 06:24:20
Thanks for the insight, mollydingle. Here's my practical story...

An dear uncle of mine, whom my dad referred to as "a professional Irishman," was visiting me one day in my early adulthood. I planned dinner and drinks at my pad. Well, really, drinks and dinner. Not knowing Irish Whiskey, I had gotten a fifth of Bushmill's to serve. 

When I brought the bottle out, my uncle looked upon it for a very long moment; looked then at me, and said: "Jimmy boy, you don't serve an Irish Catholic a Prod whiskey." I was flabbergasted! And speechless. After another long, perhaps, theatrical pause, my uncle said, "let's have a taste, then." Lesson learned.
Swashbuckler
Junior Burger
RE: Irish Whiskey 2009/03/03 10:14:26
Roy
There is a product out there called "The Knot" which is bottled by the Knot Irish Spirits Co in Bailieboro County Cavan Ireland according to the label.  It is 100 proof so it packs a punch and according to it's internet ads, it is supposed to be drunk straight from a shot glass only.  Knot cocktail is one part Knot, one part shot glass.
It doesn't claim to be Irish Whiskey so I really don't know what you would call it.....it is definitely different.  It has a strong vanilla or butterscotch aroma and flavor which I find sickeningly sweet.

So the prevailing argument that I've been having with a lot of people at a local pub has been that The Knot is, indeed, a liqueur and not a whisky (Irish spelling, mind you).

Support for my contention:
1. no place on the bottle of The Knot does it claim to be a whisky/whiskey, Irish or otherwise.  It does, however, state "... Irish Spirits ...".
2. various blogs on the 'net by whisky/whiskey connoisseurs also decry The Knot as 'definitely not' a whisky/whiskey.

The biggest problem I see is every darned online liquor site has The Knot billed under its Irish Whisky or Whiskey section, and state the product as being such.

In my thinking, all one has to do is try The Knot to know that it is definitely NOT a whisky/whiskey.  It's far too sweet with too many flavorings ... more like Southern Comfort. If it has any added sugars or other flavorings, then by definition it cannot be considered whisky/whiskey (making it a liqueur).

Thoughts?  Contentions? Ideas?

kirstine
Cheeseburger
RE: Irish Whiskey 2009/03/03 12:31:25
It would be a whiskey liquer, similar to Irish Mist which sometimes gets lumped in with Irish whiskey too!