Polonez meetup- Was: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Filet Mignon
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/13 02:09:00
MilwFoodlovers started the thread and he can change the title of the thread as long as he's signed on (at least that's how it worked under the old format.  No telling what happens now.  Have I mentioned that I hate the new format?).

On the other hand, this thread started out as a review of Crocus and I think MFL wants to keep the title so it accurately reflects the intent of his initial post.  It was us, the interlopers who came in, hijacked the thread, and took it in a totally different direction.  We should hang our heads in shame.  And I will do that on Sunday, January 25th.  I will hang my head over a heaping pile of pierogies and mutter my apologies in between bites.

Hate the new format,

Buddy
X1
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/13 07:36:22
JRPfeff

That is also close to Bobbi's birthday and she made reservations at some place called Lake Park Bistro that weekend. 

Jim

"Some place" called Lake Park Bistro?!?!?

Only one of the best fine dining restaurants in Milwaukee! Happy Birthday to Bobbi - you'll love the restaurant.
Sorry we'll miss you.

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/13 08:51:52
You know I don't mind outerlopers, but you gol durn interlopers just like to get my goat! I had no idea I could change the title but Beaudreau your wish is my command. I just feel bad you didn't ask me yourself, what with putting Abe Froeman, Sausage King of Chicago, up to do your dirty work.
We are also celebrating my son Jim's birthday (the 29th) so I hope to hear a Polish version sung just for him too!
It's cold and miserable as I type this, so Sunday has to be better.
See you all there!

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/15 13:44:12
Seriously, am I the only one to notice that today's restaurant review, Polonez, is the very joint we're all meeting up at on January 25th?  Mere coincidence, or is it a thinly disguised blessing on the event?  Or maybe, is this Jane and Michael Stern's way of saying, "Hey, why weren't we invited?"  If that last option is the case, let it be known that all are welcome to join our merry crew, even administrators, as long as they let us know in advance, for the head count, that they are coming.

See you all on the 25th,

Buddy

P.S. What is Kopp's flavor of the day?
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/15 13:51:59
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but Twinwillow, I love Daquise.  My husband and I spend every Christmas in London, and we had dinner at Daquise on December 27 (for the first time in a couple of years), and enjoyed it, as we always have.

Daquise had a fire about 5 years ago, but rebuilt, and the place is exactly the same as it has always been.  It's been there for many years -- since the 1940s, I think.

I had the roast duck this time.  It is very good, although my all-time favorite roast duck was at Zamoyski, a Polish restaurant on Fleet Road (near the Belsize Park tube), which unfortunately closed a few years ago.

And Daquise's flavored vodkas are great.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/15 14:41:57
BuddyRoadhouse ...See you all on the 25th, ...Buddy

Cookies 'N Cream

The creamiest custard with big Oreo® chunks

Butter Brickle

To an old-fashioned custard flavor of butterscotch, we sprinkle in a crunchy brickle, rich with real butter, brown sugar and almonds

http://www.kopps.com/

X1
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/15 14:47:00
I saw that right away, too.
Seems whoever chooses the main page restaurants has been on a Milwaukee kick, as this is the third day in a row a Milwaukee-area restaurant was featured - Serb Hall, McBob's, and now, today, Polonez.

I think I persuaded one more to join us - but she's a Twitter person, not Roadfood or even OnMilwaukee.com

abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/15 20:10:58
MilwFoodlovers

BuddyRoadhouse ...See you all on the 25th, ...Buddy

Cookies 'N Cream

The creamiest custard with big Oreo® chunks

Butter Brickle

To an old-fashioned custard flavor of butterscotch, we sprinkle in a crunchy brickle, rich with real butter, brown sugar and almonds

http://www.kopps.com/

Oh, how will I decide?  Either way, I don't think we'll be standing outside while we eat.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/15 20:11:20
Buddy, you are such a smartypants!

stricken_detective
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/15 22:51:51
OMG, butter brickle??? I am so in like Flynn.
stricken_detective
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/15 23:06:13
As previously stated by Buddy, anyone in the area who is reading this is invited, just please post here so we can get a proper headcount.

And I hate to call ppl out, but ChiTownDiner, AnnPeeples, luvs2eat, what is the dealio? xoxox

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/15 23:12:45
I'm leaning towards the Cookies 'N Cream myself.  I'll be amazed if I can eat anything at all after a Polish smorgasbord brunch!

Say, who are those two handsome fellas just north of stricken detective's post?  OMG, are those the world renowned Shmenge Brothers, superstars of the international Polka Scene???  Let's hope they're playing a matinee performance at brunch and that they bring a big steaming pot of gnip-gnap (turnip flavor) to serve to their adoring fans.

Buddy
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/16 12:37:03
Count us in for 2!
X1
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/16 14:30:08
I got another Twitter stranger to join us, so mark down 1 more.

stricken_detective
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/16 15:48:19
Reservations are set for 24. If anyone else wants to come, please post after me. :)
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/16 17:24:20
Hve fun, my friends.
post edited by annpeeples - 2009/01/16 20:50:06
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/16 20:52:43

Have fun!
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/19 19:11:55
The Darling Husbad (no typo) is so iffy as he is returning from a biz trip the day before, but I do believe the boys and I are up for it as we have been suffering cabin fever here, while he has been sucking up in the 80 degree LA weather....
looking forward to some fun!
stricken_detective
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/20 18:52:51
I understand that, but I'm gonna stand by our 24 for the reservation in the off chance he will want some pierogi or bigos when he comes back. If anything, they will have to remove a chair.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/22 11:27:28
Hi everyone - I am sorry the CTD gang will not be able to make it.  We waited to the last minute in hopes of freeing our schedule but it will not be happening.  I really love Polish so this is especially dissappointing to me.  Hope you all have a great time and post some really good photos to complete my dissappointment!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/22 11:52:14
We'll hoist a round of slivovitz in your honor.

Buddy
packerwmn
Cheeseburger
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/22 13:37:38
I haven't been able to check this list lately and am now on the late show, but I'm going to check with my husband tonight to see if he's interested in going.  Otherwise I may try to come anyway - it's not like I'd be alone!  :)
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/22 14:32:46
You're always amoung friends with roadfooder's
stricken_detective
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/24 17:11:29
CTD, that's ok, we'll be going back once the new owner takes over so we can compare & contrast. We will miss you, but you reminded me to pick up fresh batteries for my digital.

packerwmn, we will be the large party. I will the the one with the blond hair, dark roots, and Bloody Mary in my hand. :)

Is everyone else as excited as I am? Delicious Polish food, good friends, what could be better? :D :D :D :D :D
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/24 19:53:39
stricken detective -

This is killing me...
stricken_detective
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/25 04:07:10
It's killing me as well. You're one of my Roadfood inspirations!

When Diane was telling someone new @ work about my appetite (pre-Provigil), she would always cite the time she & I went to Jake's for corned beef, then to the Oriental & I had popcorn (and a vegan cookie, what was I thinking?) during Little Miss Sunshine (they still use real butter) whereas she was too full to even think about popcorn.

I said, remember that guy from the tour we did in Chicago? By the time we got to Stash's I was holding my tummy & cursing Gus for having such great fries that I ate them all w/o pacing myself. But there is CTD, having a burger & pushing the sweet potato fries at me, saying, "Try some!" :)   She said, "Wow, he must really be something for him to inspire YOU of all people."

Tomorrow I will pace myself, that is one thing I have learned from the Roadfood masters. The whole reason for the trip is to compare & contrast once the new owner takes over, so we'll keep track & let you know, then you tell us what Sunday works best for the CTD contingency & we will plan around that.

PS Ann, we will miss you!!!
post edited by stricken_detective - 2009/01/25 04:12:58
X1
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/25 09:03:06
Good morning!
See y'all in about 3 1/2 hrs!

Unfortunately, I can't go to Kopp's - I have to cut Polonez short, too. It's my Brother in Law's b-day today. So, after stuffing my face at Polonez, I will be forced to eat Saz's!
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/25 09:03:57
S_D,
Do you know something about a new owner? When is he or she taking over? I know they've had it for sale but in this economy I thought their chances were slim to none.

George is such a nice fella and his food is so good that I'm counting down the 210 minutes until we eat. See ya!

btw, we are also celebrating my son Jim's birthday this coming Thursday. Half Polish, this is his soul food.

X1, Someone is forcing you to eat Saz's? Is that like a hot dog or hamburger?

Actually, I'm teasing. It's "BBQ", much like Cincinnati's Montgomery Inn is "BBQ".
Not bad but not Q either.
post edited by MilwFoodlovers - 2009/01/25 09:11:09
X1
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/25 10:08:15
Can't believe I'll finally get to meet your son, FL!

As for Saz's, I think I'm sticking to the mozz sticks and other party hors d'oeurves. I may nibble on some BBQ Chicken.

stricken_detective
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/25 16:05:40
X1, the only thing I get at Saz's is the cajun crusted steak & the sour cream & chive fries.

MFL--I spoke to the owner's wife on the way out. They might not be selling anytime soon. I can email you details, I'm not sure she wants them broadcast to the entire internet.

We had a group of 27, it was a great time. I am uploading pics as we speak. If you did not want your pic on the internet, um, at the restaurant would've been the best time to mention that. ;) If someone wants me to take one down, PM me I guess.

I think I'm gonna throw em all in an album on kodak.com. Please stand by.

Ok, if you click this link, you have access to all the Roadfood albums. I will caption em & make em look pretty at a later time,(haha, I never get time.)

If you just want to see the pics from today, go to the Album marked Roadfood with the pic of The Wiener & Still Champion on the front cover & scroll to the end. Bloody Marys & Mimosas were had, as were bagels & lox, Polish snausages, SHRAMPS, sauerkraut pierogi, everything was awesome!!! :)

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=4lhy15d.a400hfmh&x=0&y=-xuw6zv&localeid=en_US
post edited by stricken_detective - 2009/01/25 16:44:34
stricken_detective
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/25 17:01:44
Polonez only pics!! :)

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=4lhy15d.865kg5kp&x=0&y=-rcxsoe&localeid=en_US

And all kidding aside, if you see your face in the pics & want me to remove it, I will. Just send me a PM.

post edited by stricken_detective - 2009/01/25 17:08:13
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/25 17:59:55
Stricken, you know how to throw a party. Our part of the group had a great time with some great food.

After the last cheesecake was eaten, we finally got a chance to mingle and shoot the breeze. For those that had to leave early, I know it was difficult to meet new friends or catch up with old ones.

While all the food was very good, I think my highlight was the cream of dill pickle soup.

S_D, how'd you get a picture of the accordian player laying on his side? Ha.

At get togethers like this, I'm reminded how much fun it is to break bread (or rye rolls today) with fellow Roadfooders. We look forward to our next meet 'n great.

X1
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/25 20:55:22
Had a great time. It was nice to see familiar faces and meet new people.
I, too, loved the dill pickle soup - was *very* skeptical, but wow - what a nice surprise!
The cheese pierogies were great, too. And of course - BACON!

SD or Buddy - if you read this - please tell or send me the link to the thread for that Chicago thing we were talking about. Can't seem to find it. Thanks!

Gyp
Cheeseburger
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/25 21:16:13
Here are some pics. It was good to see old and new faces. The food was fantastic.

stricken_detective
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/26 00:40:26
X1SD or Buddy - if you read this - please tell or send me the link to the thread for that Chicago thing we were talking about. Can't seem to find it. Thanks!

It was hidden. We really do need a Get-Togethers Forum. :)

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Spring-Fling-for-the-MilwaukeeChicago-Contingent-and-anyone-else-who-want-to-join-in-m479651.aspx

I made the pics all pretty & put the musician right side up. I'm gonna go see what else I can do w/the old ones.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/26 01:12:02
Just more affirmation that we all had a great time today.  Our tight knit little group seems to be expanding into a tight knit big group, and that's okay.  Notable additions today were irisarbor's husband who proved himself worthy of losing the "husbad" designation, and nocarolina, a fine and friendly gent with a good disposition and great enthusiasm for Roadfood in general, and socializing with our group in particular.  It's reached a point where it's hard to tell if we put more importance on the food or the pleasure of each other's company at these meet-ups, and that's okay with me.

Today's highlights included for me, from left to right as we went down the buffet, the dill pickle soup; julienned shreds of root veggies and dill pickle in a nicely balanced, slightly sweet/tart broth with a delightfuly dominant dill flavor.

The soup was followed up by some of the finest smoked salmon I have ever tasted.  This was rich, oily (not in a bad way) fish with a silky, velvety texture, enhanced by just the right amount of smoke and saltiness.  The accompanying bagels were just barely defrosted Lender's minis, but that was good enough.  If the bagels had been any better, they might have distracted from that phenomenal fish!

Next up was a brilliant roast stuffed pork loin.  As I noted to my fellow diners, this particular cut has a bad habit of being overcooked, dry and grainy.  Not so with Polonez's version.  This was moist and succulent; perfectly seasoned to bring out the rich pork flavor that frequently gets lost with a loin.  The "stuffing" was really a plum compote-like filling, the subtle sweetness of which was an excellent compliment to the pork.  The tang from a dab of Polish horseradish completed the combination of flavors.

Bite sized chunks of Polish sausage, silver dollar style potato pancakes, and mini cheese pierogis rounded out the ethnic standouts at the buffet.  There were other, more "American" standards also available, hash browns, scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage, and bacon.  All nicely prepared, but, for me virtually irrelevant in this palace of Polish delights.  There were also a handful of dessert items, the mini, melt in your mouth cream puffs being the star of that show.

Once again, it was a real pleasure to see everyone again after so many months in weather induced isolation.  Spending the afternoon with my Roadfood friends warmed up a bitter cold January day.

Buddy

P.S. X1, here is the link to the Spring Fling thread.  I'll post some links to the various restaurants listed so we can make some informed decisions on where we finally end up.  I'm hoping to generate some serious, good natured discussion on our picks.  Also, the date and time is still up in the air, so that will be another topic for us to talk about.  The only date that is abvsolutely off the table (as I'm sure you'll all agree) is May 23rd, the date of JRPfeff's annual Barbecue.  Nobody wants to miss that, do they???

B.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/26 10:22:17
What a fun thing to do on a cold morning!
Great food, great music, and great friends!
Thanks to all, and thanks to those who remembered their cameras (unlike me...)
I really enjoyed some new treats, and I think for once my boys were actually filled up!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/26 11:38:51
Well it sure looks like a good time was had by all!  Great turnout & great food!  Question - Was there only one type/flavor of pierogis available?  I've always thought they came in many flavors and would be available in a Polish setting.
packerwmn
Cheeseburger
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/26 12:54:17
Sorry I missed it!  We had a bit too much fun on Saturday at an ice fishing jamboree, so Sunday was a recovery day.  But I'm looking at the spring outing already!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/26 14:21:40
ChiTownDinerQuestion - Was there only one type/flavor of pierogis available?  I've always thought they came in many flavors and would be available in a Polish setting.
They only served cheese pierogis as part of the buffet.  stricken detective took the lead in this situation and ordered from the regular menu a platter of a dozen sauerkraut pierogis (which I'm pretty sure also had some mushroom in them).

These were larger in size than the ones offered at the buffet.  They were also pan fried as opposed to the buffet's steamed version.  The platter quickly went around the table with all interested parties grabbing a sample.  Unfortunately all this came toward the end of the meal when everyone was pretty well filled up.  Still, there were only a few of those little pockets of happiness left over and they were packed up to go to loving homes where they would be appreciated.

Buddy

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/26 14:55:46
Buddy, many thanks for the kind words and for going out of your way to make me feel welcome at my first Roadfood meet n' eat. I had a great time; the food was very good and the company was even better. It's been a long time since I've met so many nice people, all of whom share my passion for great food. Based on this experience, I'm even more enthused about attending next month's Glee Club gathering in Greenville / Memphis, and the big RF event in NOLA this April.  
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/26 17:43:01
I am so happy to hear you all had a good time, and that the food was as good as the company. Looking forward to our breakfast excursion on Feb.22-to see some old friends, and meet new. Sorry I missed this one-the food sounds right up my alley!
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/28 13:57:42
The dill pickle soup sounds really interesting! Great photos, we'll have to wander north sometime when the weather is nicer.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2