Going Out of Business Sales??

Sonny Funzio
  • Total Posts : 902
  • Reward points : 0
Going Out of Business Sales?? - Thu, 12/11/08 9:28 PM
I was looking for some Going Out of Business Sales in my area and found a few, but could find no particularly good list ... though there are an awful lot of stores rumored to be in very serious trouble and candidates to close. And many closing select locations.

I did find out that some states require registration for "liquidation" or "going out of business" sales with some division of state government such as the Attorney General's office etc. So depending on where you live one place to find out about stores liquidating is by checking a State's (.gov) website ... Michigan however is not one of them.

Here are a few Going Out of Business sales for Michigan:

K-B Toys
the intended liquidation has been written about but when I called my local K-B, the clerk said they are forbidden to talk about it and no sale has started yet.

Circuit City

Linen's & Things

Steve & Barry's

Whitehall Jewelers (the N.J. based store - one store in the Lansing Michigan area)

What stores in your state or area are holding "Going Out of Business" sales ... or, have announced and will be soon?

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5360
RE: Going Out of Business Sales?? - Fri, 12/12/08 2:15 AM
Only 1 I know of is Linen and things.

jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: Going Out of Business Sales?? - Fri, 12/12/08 3:14 AM
CC is only closing some stores, so the prices are still higher than anywhere else.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Going Out of Business Sales?? - Fri, 12/12/08 5:22 PM
Linen and Things in my area is supposedly going out of business-went there and some things were 50% off-just like a normal sale.The clerk said that only at the very end will items be 75% off or more-which she didnt know the timeline.

rmcielwain
  • Total Posts : 607
RE: Going Out of Business Sales?? - Fri, 12/12/08 6:32 PM

Circuit City: closing in Panama City, but remaining open in Dothan
Linens and Things in the PC Mall
KB Toys at Wiregrass Commons in Dothan (the PC store closed about 2-3 years ago)

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Going Out of Business Sales?? - Fri, 12/12/08 6:37 PM
Sonny, check out www.1800lastbid.com (GR Based Auction House).

harleytexas
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: Going Out of Business Sales?? - Sat, 12/13/08 3:31 AM
They did a report on the news about how these sales are run by an outside company that marks everything up to the orginal price and slowly lowers it. They said that they could get better deals at other locations that weren't going out of business, like a Circuit City that was staying open and one closing.

They also had a lady on that worked at Linens & Things and she said that prices were cheaper before the sales. One guy who worked at another store (can't remember which one) said that they brought in a bunch of merchandise that was never part of the store to sell.

Be careful at these sales.

easydoesit
  • Total Posts : 470
RE: Going Out of Business Sales?? - Sat, 12/13/08 4:57 AM
harleytexas, you are right on. A few years ago I watched a Kmart close in Wisconsin amid much fanfare and advertising of all the "FANTASTIC DEALS!!" It was very curious to see the inventory disappear from the shelves on a daily basis, only to be miraculously replenished the next morning. That is, until you noticed the trucks being unloaded with new product. We could tell from the labels that this merchandise had been at other Kmarts, obviously their loser stuff, and the prices were NOT lower. But they were manipulated. For example, one gallon bottles of bleach were priced at 1.25, and the price was hand-written on the bottle as if to say "we are desperate and giving this away." But the grocery store down the street carried the same bottle for 99 cents.

I will echo you -- be careful at these sales. Buyer beware.

By the way, all these outlet malls all over -- a candid employee of those stores will admit that they are just another store -- not cheaper at all. Some careful shopping will prove that. Merchandisers know very well that we are just a bunch of pigeons walking around.

Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Going Out of Business Sales?? - Sat, 12/13/08 9:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by easydoesit

By the way, all these outlet malls all over -- a candid employee of those stores will admit that they are just another store -- not cheaper at all. Some careful shopping will prove that. Merchandisers know very well that we are just a bunch of pigeons walking around.

Another point to consider is that a lot of the merchandise at "Factory Outlet" stores is made solely for the outlets. Some that come to mind are Nautica, Brooks Brothers, and Saks 5th Avenue.

While some of the clothing on sale at these outlets is really overstock merchandise diverted from regular stores, much of the clothing is made to be cheaper from the start and is not really marked down. So, this "designer" clothing is frequently made of cheap fabric that does not stand up anywhere near as well as the "real" merchandise from those makers.

I can tell you this from experience, based on how poorly some outlet-purchased clothing from the above named-merchants fit and how poorly it aged. Sometimes, bargains are not really bargains.

Another point to ponder if one goes to "dollar stores" is that most of their cleaning products and toiletries are made just for those stores. So, instead of getting a full-strength cleaner, like Fantastik for instance, you get a very weak, very poorly performing knock-off (the brand is "Fabulous", for those who can't discriminate between that name and Fantastik) that does such a poor job that it is not a bargain, despite the low price. And, as to the toiletries and "health & beauty" items, most of them are made in China. Need I say more?

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6097
RE: Going Out of Business Sales?? - Sat, 12/13/08 4:41 PM
We have an Oriental Rug store nearby, that has been going out of business for the last 25 years or so.

Rt66Mike
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Going Out of Business Sales?? - Wed, 12/17/08 7:49 AM
Avoid any Going Out of Business Sale advertised by "Sign Spinners" on the street - these are generally run by Hilco Liquidation, and they always jack up the prices.

I remember when Hilco was putting a local RadioShack out of business, they were selling worn out outdated looking stuff, and had brought in stuff never sold by them. Also, they were selling ripped up 20 year old fixtures for prices comparable to what you could go buy brand new fixtures at from the local Store Supply Co.

They were doing the same with Value City a few weeks ago when the remainder of the stores closed a few weeks ago.

The only time that you might find any sort of deals at these sales is on the last day after it has been picked over for months. I bought a whole cartload of stuff for about 25 Cents a piece when the local K-Mart shuttered a few years back.

easydoesit
  • Total Posts : 470
RE: Going Out of Business Sales?? - Wed, 12/17/08 11:07 AM
Rt66Mike, you are right about the last day, or last couple. We just happened to walk in to a dollar store closing, and the manager that morning had decided to sell everything left for 25 cents each. For about 40 bucks we bought a whole wall of spatulas, serving spoons, can openers and other utensils and took them to the local thrift store. It was a bonanza for them.

Sonny Funzio
  • Total Posts : 902
RE: Going Out of Business Sales?? - Wed, 12/17/08 2:12 PM
Thanx for the auction link Uncle Vic ... interesting stuff.

Definitely, from what I've seen the larger stores that use liquidation companies often have little in the way of deep discounts.
I've had good luck though by visiting locations the very last day of sales ... though the selection is way reduced, what's left is often deeply discounted.
When Montgomery Ward went out of business I got a set of *really* nice dining room chairs, 2 chairs from each of three different styles for just $16 per chair. (I'm runnin the "eclectic look" at my dining room table - but it really looks great, and I get compliments for my "bold"<ahem> design statement). These were chairs that were originally marked 2 at $120 each and the other 4 at $140 each.

Seems smaller stores do seem to do their own liquidation sales more often ... finding them is the challange.

felix4067
  • Total Posts : 3298
RE: Going Out of Business Sales?? - Wed, 12/17/08 2:35 PM
I can never decide if the cheap prices are worth knowing I have no recourse if something I buy breaks. It's hard to get an out-of-business store to make good on a warranty.

Oh, and chewingthefat, I've got a carpet store near me that must be related to yours! Liquidation sales every other week on all carpets, flooring and area rugs for as long as I can remember.