Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
  • Reward points : 0
Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Sat, 12/13/08 6:52 PM
[Helpful answer received] / [List Solutions Only]
Gosh, I don't know what to say about these except for "Ouch!".

I l-o-v-e Unique Brand "Splits" (Reading, PA) and have found one store in NYC (Balducci's) that sells them. Today I saw they have a new package, and a new flavor (for me) - this jalapeno.

Well I'm munchin' on a few right now and they are "hotter 'n heck." Besides, "hot" pretzels (of this sort, I don't mean of the "warm" sort) are wierd. They jalapeno is IN the pretzel dough, not sprinkled on top or in some sort of spice mixture, it is the pretzel itsef.

But, uh oh, I think they are addictive....I need another one!! Excuse me while I go back to the kitchen....

(any one else tried these?)

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Sun, 12/14/08 5:32 AM
Are these them?

What's a "split"?

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Sun, 12/14/08 7:48 AM
The dough on the pretzels splits open during the cooking process. As "rippers" are to the hot dog world, "splits" are to the pretzel world.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Sun, 12/14/08 10:28 AM
[This post was marked as helpful]
They sound absolutely wonderful to me!!!

NYNM
RE: Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Sun, 12/14/08 12:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

Are these them?

What's a "split"?

Dazzit!

https://secure.uniquesplits.com/dev/index2.php

Unique makes many varieties of splits (RR, love the "rippers" analogy). "Original" is great, also "Extra Dark" (ie, burnt). New is Sprouted Wheat.

Now on their new brochure, I see they have Chocolate Coated and Peanut Butter Coated (!!!)

https://secure.uniquesplits.com/files/cat.pdf

(If you are curious about these special regional treats, order some online and report to us!!)
Unique is unique. And Great!

NYNM
RE: Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Sun, 12/14/08 1:30 PM
Oh, I just looked at the bag MiamiDon posted, and it says Jalapeno Cheddar Mini Splits, while mine says Jalapeno Splits: Spicy Hots.

Now, that cheddar addition sounds great......

pretzelman
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Sat, 01/24/09 11:42 AM
The jala ched. were discontinued, they were very good.  Unique said they stopped them do to lack of sales??  I don't know, but what I do know is that these new jalapeno are HOT!!!!  Yummy Yummy, they also came out with a Garlic and Onion flavor (also baked inside the pretzel).  How anybody eats another brand is beyond me, the only excuse I accept is that they have never tryed them.  

Did you ever look closely at the top of a regular Split?  It somehow explodes open...how cool is that?  The texture is so different because it is hollow inside at some spots.

pretzelman
RE: Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Sat, 01/24/09 11:45 AM
Now what I need to know is more about the sprouted wheat Splits!?  What is that?  digests like a vegetable?  true...gimmick?
All I know is that the package is awesome looking!

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Sat, 01/24/09 11:49 AM
I tried the Garlic & Onion splits last night and they are packed with flavor!

NYNM
RE: Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Sat, 01/24/09 3:28 PM
pretzelman

The jala ched. were discontinued, they were very good.  Unique said they stopped them do to lack of sales??  I don't know, but what I do know is that these new jalapeno are HOT!!!!  Yummy Yummy, they also came out with a Garlic and Onion flavor (also baked inside the pretzel).  How anybody eats another brand is beyond me, the only excuse I accept is that they have never tryed them.  

So, Pretzelman, I see you come from Reading PA, the home of Unique, and the epicenter of Pretzeland, PA. So you know your pretz!. I agree, UNIQUE is IT! 
(and forget Lititz Sturgis House)

And I see Reading has a website: Pretzel City Sports
http://www.pretzelcitysports.com/

PS: Has anyone been to the new (?) Pretzel Museum in Philadelphia?
http://www.ushistory.org/tour/tour_Pretzel.htm

dtortor1
  • Total Posts : 334
RE: Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Sat, 01/24/09 10:02 PM
I want those so bad!

NYNM
RE: Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Sun, 01/25/09 12:06 AM
dtortor1

I want those so bad!

Not to worry, they do mail order! I have done it for gifts, works fine:

https://secure.uniquesplits.com/dev/index.php 

pretzelman
RE: Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Sun, 01/25/09 11:45 AM
They have this picture on the header of their website.  This is probably the new looking packages you were talking about.  But still that sprouted flour pretzel has my attention, they are good...no great (No surprise though, all of Unique's pretzels are good).  A little pricey because of the flour used but could they be healthy?  Digest like a vegetable because they are made from 100% whole grain wheat that has been "sprouted" or "germinated"...could this be a flour based snack for diabetics?  What a breathrough if it is!

They have the name Essential Eating on the bag which I guess is where they get the flour.  More info about sprouted flour is there...essentialeating.com

NYNM
Re:Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Sun, 01/25/09 1:00 PM
 You are making me hungry...........................

pretzelman
Re:Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Sun, 01/25/09 1:32 PM
Well while I'm at it, I just made a recipe of Tilapia filets coated in crushed jalapeno splits and parm cheese pan fried in olive oil.  Yummy and easy!

dtortor1
  • Total Posts : 334
Re:Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Sun, 01/25/09 2:50 PM
That sounds delicious! Now i want the pretzels even MORE!

WhoopiePie
  • Total Posts : 14
Re:Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Fri, 02/6/09 6:49 PM
I am on my way to try the new jalapeno variety of Unique Pretzels.

On another Reading-based pretzel note with a little heat, have you ever tried Tom Sturgis' Hot Cheezers?  I know that they aren't a true pretzel (I am a hand-made hard pretzel guy...Martin's & Uncle Henry's), but I think that the Hot Cheesers are pretty good for what they are.  The dried hot sauce gives the snack a kick of spice.

NYNM
Re:Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Sat, 02/7/09 12:07 AM
WhoopiePie

I am on my way to try the new jalapeno variety of Unique Pretzels.

Do tell your reactions!! Try other Unique flavors, too!

WhoopiePie
Re:Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Sun, 02/8/09 5:21 PM
I went to my local grocery store to find the new Unique Jalapeno variety and they didn't have them!  I even dug around on the shelf to see if they were covered up.  I just bought some regular and whole wheat instead.  I need to search at some other places for the hot stuff.

NYNM
Re:Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Sun, 02/8/09 6:07 PM
 Sorry, Whoopie! Come over to NYC to Balducci's - they have them! 
Yesterday I bought (and finished) a bag of their Extra Dark (ie, burnt) Uniques.

Oh I have such a crush on these pretzels!!!!!

awalshe09
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Mon, 02/9/09 2:14 PM
Oh yummy! These sound awesome. Now after reading and seeing all the different kinds as soon as I get off work I'm going to find out where I can get these! You people are evil, like I need another addiction! Just kidding.
Cheers
Alex
fun and good taste starts here.....candy

NYNM
Re:Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Mon, 02/9/09 2:45 PM
 No, I don't work for Unique, but don't forget Mail Order, since these are pretty hard to get out of PA Pretzeland. I was in northern Delaware last weekend, close to PA, and couldn't find them. I've never seen them in NJ either. They are only in one place I know in NY, Balduccis, which is a gourmet-yuppie food store.

I have ordered a tin of Uniques as gifts for friends, and it worked great! (if they share with me, that is....)

pretzelman
Re:Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Mon, 02/9/09 7:35 PM
Good call NYNM, sent many gifts myself.  Something else I found is Unique has a facebook page, haha, pretty cool I guess.  They have some pics of their new bags and stuff.  Anyway what made me think of that was people not seeing Splits in stores, maybe write to Unique there and tell them stores they should be in.  Maybe pointless but could help???  I don't know.

WhoopiePie
Re:Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Tue, 02/10/09 5:24 PM
Shady Maple Farm Market hooked me up.  They had plenty of the new Jalapeno-flavored Unique Pretzels.

Verdict:  The Jalapeno-flavored Uniques are powerful!  I like hot stuff.  If I don't break a sweat when eating Mexican or Thai food, I feel left down.  These pretzels won't make you sweat but it comes pretty close.  There is some strong residual heat.  (I suspect that these pretzels will be too hot for a lot of folks...like my father.)  My only criticism is that I would prefer a bit more salt on the pretzels.  I am glad that I bought two bags!  I am going to bring some of my pretzels in to work for my fellow heat-seeking co-workers to try.

Thanks for the heads-up, NYNM.

NYNM
Re:Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Wed, 02/11/09 10:42 PM
 WP: I am SO glad you enjoyed them! Amazing how hot they are!
Some of the other flavors, esp. "original" and "Extra Dark" (and of course: "Extra Salt" !!! have more salt on top.
Enjoy!

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1560
Re:Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Wed, 02/11/09 11:18 PM
The Unique Extra Dark are my favorite pretzel, ever.

Every once in a while our nearest Wal Mart (of all places) in Watchung NJ carries them and I stock up. Otherwise I get them when I make the occasional day trip to nearby Pa.

JDad80
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Unique's Jalapeno Pretzels - Wed, 02/18/09 10:13 AM
I usually just read the posts on this site but in this case I had to jump in.  Out here in Pburg I can only find the Dark, Salt, and original Splits so I ordered the Jalapeno direct.  I did break a sweat, they are hot!  Since I could get 6 bags I also got their Garlic and Onion which pack some nice flavor and the Multi-Grain (not opened yet, but I am sure they're good).  If you order from Unique you can include mustards too, I got a german and a jalapeno.  Curiosity had me open the jalapeno first and WOW, nice zing and yummy!