Helpful ReplyNew forum format

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Fire Safety Admin
Re:New forum format 2008/12/20 23:19:08
If you have City, State, then you have more white-space on the forums.

You can't please everyone!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:New forum format 2008/12/21 00:19:42
 Stephen, you can please everyone. Just, go back to the old format!
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:New forum format 2008/12/21 10:11:47
Twinwillow

Stephen, you can please everyone. Just, go back to the old format!

Not sure about that. Look at this statistic (from bottom of forum index page...)

Most users ever online was 4001 at Thu, 12/18/08 9:03 AM

4001 users can't all be unhappy! 
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:New forum format 2008/12/21 10:16:32
the old format was clunky and uninspired. Why the mass lament
I'm not sure. This forum is much better and faster.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:New forum format 2008/12/21 10:24:09
bill voss

the old format was clunky and uninspired. Why the mass lament
I'm not sure. This forum is much better and faster.

The old format was the windows 95 of forum software...it was a decade behind the time. If you can find no other reason to like this new software, try the search function....especially the FULL search version, which you get by clicking on the "search forum" button, not just typing into the box that drops down. 

I have been finding things I never was able to locate with old search. For that alone I love this new set up! 
post edited by Tony Bad - 2008/12/21 10:38:52
Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
Re:New forum format 2008/12/21 11:05:07
My first look at the new format.  Is there a "Help" option?  Couldn't find one, but perhaps its hiding somewhere in the new format.  If not, would you consider it?  Having an online resource for the many questions would seem to make sense, rather than trying to figure things out by trial and error.  Also, I like the idea of some background color rather than white.  Easier on the eyes I think.  Thanks, Stephen, for your work on this.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:New forum format 2008/12/21 11:08:19
I want SIGGIES!

That is not my true post count.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:New forum format 2008/12/21 13:38:07
I am one that is happy with the new forum. It is a major improvement.
Benzee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:New forum format 2008/12/21 15:56:31
Hello all ,

I do not particulary care for this new set up but if it is considered an improvement by the powers that be , so be it .
It may take awhile but we'll figure this darn thing out

Benzee
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:New forum format 2008/12/21 16:13:47
Before I retired, I was part of a huge company that employed 400K people.  They constantly made changes in their system and the latest was SAP.  I am sorta getting old and it was very difficult for me but I made the transition.  To me the most difficult change I ever made was SAP.

Even though this transition to the new forum was somewhat difficult, it was nowhere near as difficult as SAP.

Even Al and I are getting use to it and it will definately be an improvment to this site and as time goes on, all of you will learn to use it.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
Re:New forum format 2008/12/22 07:11:00
I think Stephen has done a fantastic job in transitioning to the new forum. BRAVO!!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
Re:New forum format 2008/12/22 19:03:42
Tumbleweed365... I find myself  with my nose just about on the screen.... But thanks for bringing us old farts into the modern age, abet kicking and screaming.

Tumbleweed365; Dearfolk,
  You took the words right out of my fingers! Thanks, I couldn't'a said it better!
   My father always said that it was better to learn by doing, so now apparently I have learned how, in this new system, to reply to a message by quoting part of it instead of making a whole new post without any of the relevant words I wanted to mention. Let's see if it works now. I'm hoping.
      Slowly But Surely, Ort. Carlton in Surfer-Free (the Oconee River is not known for its curls) Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
Re:New forum format 2008/12/22 19:06:12
douginvirginia I think Stephen has done a fantastic job in transitioning to the new forum. BRAVO!!

Doug; Dearfolk,
   Or, as Lou Reed put it so succinctly lo those many years ago, "I'm beginning to see the light." -- Hey, I heard that on WGOE, Progressive Radio Richmond, 1590 on the AM dial!
      Goeing Along, Ort. Carlton in Reasonably Progressive Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
Re:New forum format 2008/12/22 19:11:47
Michael Hoffman
Davydd
Ah, so I'd have to go out in these economic times and purchase a new monitor in order to be able to read posts on Roadfood. What a great idea.

Mr. Hoffman,
   Not a bad idea. But my trouble is, I can't see the whole screen at once as it is because I've only got complete function in one eye... the bad one works (I can use it in driving because cars are bigger than print!), but I can't read type with it.
   Well, as Phil Spector said, "Back to mono."
      All-But-Cycloptically, Ort. Carlton in Multi-Channel Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
Re:New forum format 2008/12/22 19:17:44
Michael Hoffman Thanks for the offer, but I'm not interested in a new monitor. The one I have is only 11 years old.

Mr. Hoffman,
   I'm with you. And, as for Monitors, the one on NBC is just fine with me. Oh, where's Lawrence E. Spivak now that we need him?
      Tri-Chimingly, Ort. Carlton in that Ding-Dong School for late adolescents that Athens, Georgia sometimes seems to be.
P. S. The NBC triple chime actually came from WSB in Atlanta. "Welcome South, Brother!"

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
Re:New forum format 2008/12/22 19:22:46
Stephen Rushmore Jr. Hoffman, I might have some 8-track cartridges to compliment your computer monitor.

Stephen,
   Are they blank, or do they have intelligence (?) on them?
   My recollection of Led Zeppelin IV on 8-track was that they chopped "Stairway To Heaven" in half, where it would fade down, change track with a mighty CLACK, then fade back up. Perfect. WGOE in Richmond used to play that version to assuage all the "lovers of top 40," as they called such folks. -- I have "Stairway To Heaven" on a promo-only 45 (there were two issues), but by now I am savagely off topic.
      Always On Track, Ort. Carlton in Often 78 R. P. M. Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
Re:New forum format 2008/12/22 19:28:42
leethebard Wow...one of the improvements...and it's gone!!!!What happened and why???????

Leethebard,
   Maybe someone forgot to pay the power bill (insert frown smiley face).
      Living Better Through Electricity, Ort. Carlton in Utterly Wired Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
Re:New forum format 2008/12/22 19:31:52
Louis Ort, just remember to always use to use the Size 2 font when you post (like this one).  I always enjoy reading your individualistic, literate hand.

Louis,
   Many thanks!
   But if I use larger type, won't it make me gain weight?
      Getting The Skinny, Ort. Carlton in Middle-Aged Spread Out Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
Re:New forum format 2008/12/22 19:40:01
Tony Bad
Michael Hoffman

Dearfolk,
   Looks like a Western Electric to me.
   Y'know, those things just keep on running....
      Vacuuming My Tubes, Ort. Carlton in Solid State Athens, Georgia.
P. S. Western Electric AM radio transmitters put out bass, never wear out, and are easy to work on... wonder why they quit making them sometime along about 1948? There's one still online in New York City that was installed in October, 1937... I want one for my future radio station!

catosaurus
Cheeseburger
Re:New forum format 2008/12/22 19:59:58
One of the issues I've noticed on older threads is that the "Change Page" option isn't appearing.  It shows here, on this thread, but it's not showing on older ones, and -- since the earliest messages are the ones that appear when you open the thread -- it means I can't see the more recent postings AND I can't find any links or buttons that will get me to other pages.
jeepguy
Re:New forum format 2008/12/22 20:02:19
 Seems small, bland, and too spread out. Easier to read before.
BillC
Cheeseburger
Re:New forum format 2008/12/22 20:10:45
I've taken my time to learn the new format and let some of the more obvious bugs get corrected and i find that the more i use it, the more i like it. it is better than many other formats i see used. however, the previous format was  the most user friendly format i ever saw, so i do miss it. but, if it had to be done, it had to be done.
KonaErnie
Cheeseburger
Re:New forum format 2008/12/22 20:19:51
catosaurus

One of the issues I've noticed on older threads is that the "Change Page" option isn't appearing.  It shows here, on this thread, but it's not showing on older ones, and -- since the earliest messages are the ones that appear when you open the thread -- it means I can't see the more recent postings AND I can't find any links or buttons that will get me to other pages.

Cat...Is it possible that the threads you were looking at were only one page long to begin with?
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:New forum format 2008/12/22 20:25:04
jaylhorner

In a while you'll all be used to the new and forget the old.  How many of you still remember a few versions ago of internet explorer? 

Not a good analogy because I, as well as others, use a Mac which uses Safari or Mozilla for our OS. We can't use Internet Explorer with a Mac. Thankfully.
But, that said, I do agree with what was in your mind when you compared IE with the new RF format.
UncleVic
Sirloin
Re:New forum format 2008/12/22 20:25:36
Jeepguy, that's about the only thing I don't like about this new setup.  Way too much open landscape..  Be nice if they could tighten it up a little (or a lot for that matter.). That and if you misspell a word, you cant right click to correct it.  Given time I'm sure all these little bugs will be worked out, but for now, I'm very limited on my postings... More of a lurker again.

doggydaddy
Re:New forum format 2008/12/23 06:06:19

It all seems to be working out quite well. I lost some of my post count numbers but I'll chalk that up to some of my dumber posts that I should never have sent to begin with. I would not mind a side of fries to replace the loss.

I think that I'll get the ball rolling with this thought.  My only complaint is how the Home Page is set up.  I have thought of this for some time.
There is a bit of white space between the 'Restaurant of the Day' and the RoadFood poll on the bottom.  It is a waste of space.  I propose that we move the 'Where Should We eat in...?' questions over there.
These questions usually appear with a good percentage of drive-by posters asking but not using the search feature which with my proposal, would be right above it.

Its just that these questions come in and override decent topics. Sometimes you will see three 'Where should we eat?' questions and regular folks here become regulated to the back pages in the forum topics. I have missed threads because people want to find a restaurant in Bumfugg, Idaho.

Or you could use that space to link trip reports sent in by forum folks who know how to use the 'Search' above.

mark
Lindseyup67
Cheeseburger
Re:New forum format 2008/12/23 07:57:46
IMHO, this new format sucks! I for one do NOT see this being an improvement at all! When you click on "active topics" it takes you to the main page, etc......This used to be my "go to" site every day......due to the new format I have been traveling to Chow.com more frequently.......bring back the old format.....or change the new format so it is more user friendly!!  
Lindseyup67
Cheeseburger
Re:New forum format 2008/12/23 07:59:52
Prime example....I just posted the above message, and after posting it, I was taken back to the first page of this discussion...i.e. page 1 of 5 pages.....instead of bringing me to page 5.....this is what I am talking about............Grrrrrr...............
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:New forum format 2008/12/23 08:07:47
where do you find an "active topics" button?
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:New forum format 2008/12/23 08:51:54
Lindseyup67

Prime example....I just posted the above message, and after posting it, I was taken back to the first page of this discussion...i.e. page 1 of 5 pages.....instead of bringing me to page 5.....this is what I am talking about............Grrrrrr...............

I am confused by people having such vastly different experiences from mine. When I post something, using quick reply, full reply, or by hitting reply within a prior post...after hitting send I am taken to my post, which is at the end of the posts.

Before you think this is because I have some special conntrols as a moderator, I created a non-admin user identity to test, and got same results.

I am also wondering where the "active topics" button you refer to is located. There is a link to "posts since last visit", which is similar to old active topics link, but when I click the link, it always takes me right where I ask.

Not sure how to explain why things are working so differently for others. I am not saying all is perfect, but some of these issues are impossible to "fix" when they can't be reproduced.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
Re:New forum format 2008/12/23 09:30:28
To all involved in the conversion, thank you.

I am getting the hang of the new software.
catosaurus
Cheeseburger
Re:New forum format 2008/12/23 11:33:38
KonaErnie

catosaurus

Cat...Is it possible that the threads you were looking at were only one page long to begin with?

When I see current/recent messages appear on the RF home page, with a notation that the last message was posted a few minutes ago, I click on the link to go see the latest entry.  More than once I've done this since the website has been updated, only to find that I'm looking at a forum page that began in 2005 or 2006, with no indication that other pages exist.  The most recent posting on the page I can see is years old.  Since the posting entry on the RF home page says that it was a few minutes old, I can only assume that there are more pages within that forum topic.  However, I've not been able to figure out how to get to them.  It happened to me again yesterday, which prompted my message.

If anyone has a "fix" for this, I'd appreciate the info!
mland520
Cheeseburger
Re:New forum format 2008/12/23 12:03:17
You can put me in the "don't like it" column, too wide for my screen- too much scrolling. And could we liven up the color- just a bit?
dexmat
Cheeseburger
Re:New forum format 2008/12/23 13:34:09

catosaurus

KonaErnie

catosaurus

When I see current/recent messages appear on the RF home page, with a notation that the last message was posted a few minutes ago, I click on the link to go see the latest entry.  More than once I've done this since the website has been updated, only to find that I'm looking at a forum page that began in 2005 or 2006, with no indication that other pages exist.  The most recent posting on the page I can see is years old.  Since the posting entry on the RF home page says that it was a few minutes old, I can only assume that there are more pages within that forum topic.  However, I've not been able to figure out how to get to them.  It happened to me again yesterday, which prompted my message.

If anyone has a "fix" for this, I'd appreciate the info!

Have you checked the 'this post has been edited' note at the bottom of the posts?  I've just come across a couple of those.

Generally it seems to be better to go to the Forums main page, click on 'posts since last visit' to get the latest updates, rather than those little arrows at the bottom of the old home page.  There does seem to be some disconnect between functions on the old home page and the way the new forum works.  The new option is much better than the old one.

dexmat
Cheeseburger
Re:New forum format 2008/12/23 13:37:23

Tony Bad

Lindseyup67

I am confused by people having such vastly different experiences from mine. When I post something, using quick reply, full reply, or by hitting reply within a prior post...after hitting send I am taken to my post, which is at the end of the posts.

Before you think this is because I have some special conntrols as a moderator, I created a non-admin user identity to test, and got same results.

I am also wondering where the "active topics" button you refer to is located. There is a link to "posts since last visit", which is similar to old active topics link, but when I click the link, it always takes me right where I ask.

Not sure how to explain why things are working so differently for others. I am not saying all is perfect, but some of these issues are impossible to "fix" when they can't be reproduced.

I wonder if it could be the browser being used?  I haven't had many of the problems being reported by others such as small pictures.  I use Firefox.  I switched a long time ago because IE couldn't handle the software on another forum I frequent for some reason and I had to repeatedly shut the browser down and re-open it to get to the pages I wanted.  Firefox is so much smoother.

Edit:  By the way I'm loving the new software.  It is a major improvement over the old.  The search feature not only works, it highlights the term you're looking for in posts so you don't have to read every post looking for the one comment that you want.

The Active topics option on the old software always gave me weeks worth of posts, no matter how I tried to set the parameters.  This one remembers me and only shows me the ones since my last visit, even if that was only a few minutes ago.

post edited by dexmat - 2008/12/23 13:40:36
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
Re:New forum format 2008/12/23 21:31:59
Add QFan's vote to twinwillow, michael and others above who don't like it. Understand that there may have been compelling reasons for a change, but this is not a home run!

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:New forum format 2008/12/24 03:27:06
Davydd

A good fast easy read book is Who Moved My Cheese?. It might be worth reading if you are stressed out about this forum change.

More like who moved the Nyquil!

Maybe that is what is missing, for the transition period. Keep it green, and it is just like a shot of Sambuca!

jeepguy
Re:New forum format 2008/12/24 06:14:49

jeepguy

Seems small, bland, and too spread out. Easier to read before.

I'll just post like this!

flyseye
Cheeseburger
Re:New forum format 2008/12/24 15:09:01
I really like the new format. The ranting and raving over the entire change, particularly over the post counts and star ratings was truly something to behold.

Speaking of that, the " block user " feature is worthy in  itself of the change. Bravo, and block away.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:New forum format 2008/12/24 15:23:51
I have been online since 2002 and post frequently on a number of message boards and invariably when they upgrade you wind up with some problems and good and bads comments.

My only complaint so far is I keep getting an error message on one thread I post at a lot in the Regional forum, involving restaurants in Dayton/Middletown area, and Stephen is trying to fix this glitch.

Other than that I love the new format and it is much more user friendly overall altho the the email notices do not seem to be working properly yet but it is sure nice to see the comment so you do not have to go to the message board each time.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:New forum format 2008/12/24 15:38:19
Question regarding locked topics....

Is the only designation for a locked topic the tiny lock icon, which is not visible in the "active topics" view?  Once a thread is opened, there does not appear to be any distinction that a thread is locked, other than the inability to post new messages.

In one locked thread, there still appears to be the "message options" section available on only the moderators post in that thread.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
Re:New forum format 2008/12/24 18:20:05
It stinks!
roossy90
Sirloin
Re:New forum format 2008/12/24 18:55:02
bill voss

It is actually quite nice. Just sort of like moving into a new place. You have to figure out where the light switches are.

I like it,..... I can write in purple till I'm blue in the face........I find it very easy to use, once I found the lightswitches.
Granted, there still are a few bugs that seem to be needed to be worked out.....

post edited by roossy90 - 2008/12/24 18:58:08
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
Re:New forum format 2008/12/24 19:06:32
Tara:

Posting in purple brings back memories of a purple Runza. Maybe I can find the picture somewhere?
roossy90
Sirloin
Re:New forum format 2008/12/24 19:11:23
NebGuy

Tara:

Posting in purple brings back memories of a purple Runza. Maybe I can find the picture somewhere?

Ah Ha........ you figgered it out........ damn, you are fast.......... Adjudicator might have that pic you are speaking of.... Tee hee..... I know a few that can manage to find it here.
porkchopexpress
Double Cheeseburger
Re:New forum format 2008/12/25 08:01:42
I don't care for it but I guess I'll get use to it
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
Re:New forum format 2008/12/25 15:10:15
I do wish we could sort the new messages by the topic headings. Other than that I am getting used to this.
Joe
Jennifer_4
Re:New forum format 2009/01/08 01:50:39
I don't like it because no matter what I do, most of the pictures are too small to even view.  I used to love the trip reports because of the pics..now I can't see them at all.
Jennifer_4
Re:New forum format 2009/01/08 02:03:05
kland01s

I complained earlier about the picture size and discovered that they are small if you are not loged, log in and they are normal. What tricked me is that on the Home page I am shown to be logged in but on the Forum page, I am not so that means you have to to log in every visit.

Early today the home town of each poster appeared under their name, I liked that feature. I see it's gone already.

Even when I am logged in, they are still small for me.
RubyRose
Re:New forum format 2009/01/08 06:51:14
Jennifer, try putting your cursor on the first little picture, right clicking, and hitting "properties".   
NYNM
Filet Mignon
Re:New forum format 2009/01/11 17:40:48
To me it's a toss up, but I still haven't figured out WHY there was a change at all?
Change for change's sake? 
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:New forum format 2009/01/11 18:13:09
NYM - We changed because the last forum software was no longer supported by the developer.  Hackers were constantly bombarding our site; I couldn't make any changes because everything would crash; it was a mess.  It was a decision I don't enjoy making, but had to be done.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:New forum format 2009/01/11 19:31:03
Previously, my slick, super duper, super slick, super fast cable modem would load this site like I still had a 28K dial-up. The new Roadfood loads just great.
BT
Filet Mignon
Re:New forum format 2009/01/12 02:40:15
Put me down as not especially happy with the new format.  It appears that to get more active I would have to do a lot of relearning and I'm not very motivated to spend the time on that.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:New forum format 2009/01/12 03:21:33
Put me down as having gotten used to the new format...it's not bad...but as we've talked about elsewhere, the"rate a poster" system stinks!!! It cheapens this wonderful forum way too much!!!!!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
Re:New forum format 2009/01/12 03:49:34
One thing I have been unable to figure out is how to edit posts. If any of you can enlighten me on that, I would be appreciative.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:New forum format 2009/01/12 04:40:41
mr chips

One thing I have been unable to figure out is how to edit posts. If any of you can enlighten me on that, I would be appreciative.

On the right hand side of your post, you will notice message options.  Click on that and edit messages with appear.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3