White Fence Farm outside of Chicago

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2003/11/18 15:19:34
We drove 45 minutes to get here last Saturday and it was worth the trip. The ambience - large, high-ceilinged wood-paneled dining rooms, lots of fun old-fashioned rides for the kids in the lobby - is excellent. So is the fried chicken. It certainly rates up there with the best I've had in this region, though it's not on the same level as Stroud's in Kansas City. The chicken, which is flown in fresh from Georgia each day before being fried in White Fence Farm's kitchen (which you can take a tour of), has a wonderful flavor, and the crust is nice and crispy. The fries are also top-notch - the perfect crunch on the outside and fluffy and hot within. Corn fritters that came as an appetizer were terrific, as was the slice of hot apple pie I stuffed into myself after four pieces of chicken. The waitress said they have the pie brought in frozen from a bakery, but it sure could have fooled me. Tasted fresh and delicious. If you're anywhere in the Chicago area, I highly recommend this place.
glennpan
Hamburger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2003/11/19 09:29:47
Danimal,

Also being a Chicago guy, I always read your posts with great interest and generally agree on your recommendations. This however, is the exception.

White Fence Farm does have a few things going for it. The location is really neat, and unbelievably huge. The quality of the checken is very good too. They even serve a nice relish tray before the meal too. But here is where we differ, I find their chicken bland. For me, a great fried chicken has to have some spice to it even if it is just black pepper. The other thing that I don't like about the place is the price. After tax and tip, without any appetizers, drinks, or dessert the meal is $15. A bit pricy for just a plain chicken dinner. Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket has the same issues.

Glenn

danimal15
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2003/11/19 10:48:12
Glenn:

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I also noticed the lack of spice, which is one reason why I said it isn't up there with Stroud's. The price didn't bother me too much, but you're right - it's not cheap. Say, where have you found a good fried chicken dinner in the Chicago area? I'm always looking for a new place.

Dan
glennpan
Hamburger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2003/11/19 12:30:07
Unfortunately, I really haven't found any truly outstanding chicken shacks around Chicago. I really love great fried chicken so that breaks my heart. My favorite place in the area used to be Surma's in Homewood which closed this year after about 50 years in business.

They still have a carry-out location in Tinley Park that I have not tried yet. They became the first KFC franchise in the Chicago area in 1959, but parted ways with the Colonel in 1962. Surmas took the original recipe, expanded it to 13 spices, and it still has some similarities, although much better than today's greasy mass produced KFC version.

The other place I actually go to is a haul. I drive out to Rip's Chicken in Ladd, IL. They are located not far off of I-80 at exit 69 or so. Rip's is a true chicken shack where you walk in and they just ask you "Light or Dark?", there is no other choice than that. You get a 1/4 chicken (huge), straight from the fryer, served over some very good fries and a piece of Wonder bread on a paper plate for about $3.50. For some reason, the light meat comes out much better than the dark. People literally lineup around the block for their chicken on the weekends. They even serve a plate of crispies while you wait.

Glenn
danimal15
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2003/11/19 15:55:07
Thanks for the suggestion. That's a long way, but it sure sounds good. (We're in Highland Park - so you're talking easily a 2-hour drive each way). But if I ever find myself heading west on 80, that sounds like a great option.

I'm going to try Hecky's in Evanston soon. It's a BBQ joint, so I've never had the fried chicken there. But I'll bet it's good.

Someone should open up a real chicken shack somewhere in the city.

Dan
Pwingsx
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2003/11/19 23:34:26
There's a White Fence Farm here in Denver, too. I haven't been there but one of my sisters has. I had no idea there were a chain! Does anyone know of them anywhere else?
Jim Ross
Cheeseburger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2003/11/20 21:33:27
The chicken may not be highly seasoned at either Del Rhea's or White Fence Farm, but it's always hot and perfectly fried. My wife, daughter, and I love both places.

Speaking of Del Rhea's though, my favorite thing there is the wonderful chicken dumpling soup on the soup and salad bar. I frequently fill up on it and end up taking most of my fried chicken home for lunch the next day. It's still excellent eaten cold out of the refrigerator.
dashboard diner
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2003/11/29 00:46:28
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Ross

The chicken may not be highly seasoned at either Del Rhea's or White Fence Farm, but it's always hot and perfectly fried. My wife, daughter, and I love both places.

Speaking of Del Rhea's though, my favorite thing there is the wonderful chicken dumpling soup on the soup and salad bar. I frequently fill up on it and end up taking most of my fried chicken home for lunch the next day. It's still excellent eaten cold out of the refrigerator.
dashboard diner
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2003/11/29 01:09:17
Harold's Chicken Shack has a fine carry-out product. The business
has dozens of stores on the South Side with 3 listed in the downtown
area (39 North Wells, 608 West Adams and 636 South Wells).
The stores are the same style as rib shacks. Come as you are,
you can eat in your car. Phone first to verify location & hours.
Jim Ross
Cheeseburger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2003/11/29 18:38:55
My wife and I were at loose ends today and decided on a road trip to try out Rips in Ladd, IL. I read about it in this post and when I mentioned it to a friend from Peru (IL)she said her parents loved it and frequently long lines waiting to get in. Off we went, arriving at noon, only to find they don't serve chicken till 4:30 (Weds - Sunday). I had to settle for a tenderloin sandwich. The meat was excellent, but the bun was ice cold and the only condiment available were dill pickle slices. Not something I would have driven 80 miles for. I was surprised by the place though. It's really a sports bar in a well maintained brick building with a beautiful bar and woodwork. Everything was very clean, neat and immacuatly maintained. From the long row of unused fryers, I can see they must cook a lot of chicken. The sign says it was established in 1936. I guess I'll have to go back some evening, I'm a sucker for long lived places that stand the test of time.
danimal15
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2003/12/04 09:45:49
Jim:

How disappointing - to drive 80 miles expecting fried chicken and to end up with a sandwich instead. I feel for you. Last Sunday in Atlanta, we arrived at Mary Mac's Tea Room at 10:30, and they didn't serve fried chicken until 11. Though we had a plane to catch, I decided to wait while my wife and son enjoyed breakfast. The wait was worthwhile, and we easily made our flight.
danimal15
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2003/12/04 09:47:44
I've been to Harold's Chicken Shack in the past and found its chicken just passable. A friend of mine from the South Side who knows something about BBQ tells me the quality has gone downhill at the chain over the last few years. I work just two blocks from the one on Wells, so sometime soon I'll check it out and bring back a report. However, I've had fried chicken three times in the last three weeks, so I'd better take a break for a while.
Wobbly Spirals
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2003/12/12 22:51:27
Another great chicken dinner in the area is Knights of Columbus - 1813 East Cass Street in Joliet. They are only open Friday and Saturday. They have been around forever it seems
clrkaddison
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/01/28 13:59:52
glennpan, while the restaurant may be a tad pricey inside, we get the chicken at the carryout around back and drive to the forest preserves on the other side of the street and have a picnic for half the price. just an idea in the summer............
glennpan
Hamburger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/01/28 16:22:22
clrkaddison,

I will have to try the carryout. How much are the prices for carryout? With Argonne nearby, the hiking trails are very nice.

As an aside, I tried Harold's Fried Chicken yesterday, and thought it was mediocre. It was much better with the hot sauce, but still does not rate with what I would consider great fried chicken.

This weekend I am going to try to get up to Priscilla's in Hillside. There was a write up in the Trib not long ago about how good their chicken is, so I thought I would give it a go. I will report back if it is worthy.

Glenn
Jim Ross
Cheeseburger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/01/30 21:07:38
quote:
Originally posted by glennpan

clrkaddison,

I will have to try the carryout. How much are the prices for carryout? With Argonne nearby, the hiking trails are very nice.

As an aside, I tried Harold's Fried Chicken yesterday, and thought it was mediocre. It was much better with the hot sauce, but still does not rate with what I would consider great fried chicken.

This weekend I am going to try to get up to Priscilla's in Hillside. There was a write up in the Trib not long ago about how good their chicken is, so I thought I would give it a go. I will report back if it is worthy.

Glenn

The name of the place is Priscilla's Ultimate Soul Food Cafeteria. It's on Roosevelt Road in Hillside Il. I've tried it a couple of times and some of the food is very good. My only complaint is that many items are way too salty. The smothered pork chop is excellent.
glennpan
Hamburger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/03/05 14:30:38
Well, it took me a while longer than expected to get over to Priscilla's Ultimate Soul Food Cafeteria. But it was worth the wait. I got there at about 11:15 (they open at 11), and there were very few people inside. However, the place was packed by the time I left around noon.

On to the food: For $7.99 you get an entree, two sides, and cornbread. I had the Fried Chicken, as did about 90% of the other people there. This was a really high amount of people having chicken as it is a Friday during Lent. The chicken was fantastic! Very fresh, a crisp but not very greasy skin that had a strong peppery flavor. It was also quite tender. For my sides I had mashed potatoes and gravy (nothing really special here), and greens which were very good that had chunks of pork, and a fair share of red pepper flakes for some really nice flavor. The cornbread was good also, it was not overly sweet like so many Northern style cornbreads, but had some mild natural sweetness.

The service was cafeteria style as the name suggests, but everyone was exceptionally nice and polite. As for the chicken, it definitely rates above Dell Rhea's and WFF by a nice margin. I will go back there again soon.

Glenn
danimal15
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/03/05 15:09:15
Priscilla's sounds good. I'll have to try it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Dan
stormycat
Cheeseburger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/03/05 15:27:27
A place that serves very good chicken around chicago is Brooster's. It is flame broiled, not fried, but still damn good stuff. The green beans are really good too. I know of two: Darien on 75th and Lombard on 22nd and Finley. Check it out.
Jim Ross
Cheeseburger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/03/11 16:00:14
quote:

....definitely rates above Dell Rhea's and WFF by a nice margin. I will go back there again soon.

Glenn

Sorry, Priscilla's is OK, but no way is it better than Del Rhea's or White Fence Farm. I'll eat at Priscilla's for a change if I'm in the area, but I frequently drive out of my way to go to Del Rhea's. I think everything at Priscilla's is really salty and I suspect that's what you like. I think Del Rhea's is much better all around, large pieces, piping hot and golden brown from the fryer. Even the chicken on the lunch buffet at Del Rhea's is better. Incidently, the lunch buffet Tuesday - Friday is the best deal I know. In addition to their regular soup and salad bar it includes all you can eat of the wonderfull chicken, pot roast, mashed potatoes, gravy and vegitable for $6.95.
glennpan
Hamburger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/03/12 09:27:46
I just went to Dell Rhea's for the lunch buffet two days ago. I had wanted to try the buffet now since seeing Jim's post a couple months ago.

The price is nice at $6.95. Other entrees besides the Fried Chicken on the buffet were mashed potatoes (very good, they had the skins mixed in), roast beef (very tender and flavorful), roasted chicken (nicely seasoned but soggy skin), a well sized salad bar, and a soup.

When I got there, which in fairness to DRs was just before 1pm (buffet runs until 2) was probably just after their lunch rush. I was really looking forward to their fried chicken, which I like very much (very tender, good sized), I just find really bland (do they add any spices at all?).

My first trip to the buffet there was only 2 thighs left there sans skin. I waited for about 10 minutes figuring they would bring more out. I finally had to ask them to, and a few minutes later 8 pieces were put into the bin. By the time I got up there, 1 fresh piece was left, so I took it waiting for the next batch (another 10 minutes). The skin was a little on the soggy side, but the chicken as I remembered it was very large and juicy. Also as I remembered it, devoid of any seasonings. 10 minutes later they brought out another 8 pieces, I did actually grab a couple this time.

All in all, the price makes it a good value, but didn't like how infrequently the buffet was replenished. I would rank the Chicago area chicken places:

1. Priscilla's
2. Surmas
3. White Fence Farm
4. Dell Rhea's
5. Harolds.
shaas
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/03/31 17:23:26
quote:

Unfortunately, I really haven't found any truly outstanding chicken shacks around Chicago. I really love great fried chicken so that breaks my heart. My favorite place in the area used to be Surma's in Homewood which closed this year after about 50 years in business.

They still have a carry-out location in Tinley Park that I have not tried yet. They became the first KFC franchise in the Chicago area in 1959, but parted ways with the Colonel in 1962. Surmas took the original recipe, expanded it to 13 spices, and it still has some similarities, although much better than today's greasy mass produced KFC version.

The other place I actually go to is a haul. I drive out to Rip's Chicken in Ladd, IL. They are located not far off of I-80 at exit 69 or so. Rip's is a true chicken shack where you walk in and they just ask you "Light or Dark?", there is no other choice than that. You get a 1/4 chicken (huge), straight from the fryer, served over some very good fries and a piece of Wonder bread on a paper plate for about $3.50. For some reason, the light meat comes out much better than the dark. People literally lineup around the block for their chicken on the weekends. They even serve a plate of crispies while you wait.

Glenn
shaas
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/03/31 17:31:48
Great call on Rip's Chicken in Ladd. I don't order fried chicken anywhere else, because there's no point-- nothing stacks up to Rip's. I can tell just by looking at someone else's plate when they order chicken elsewhere.

I've brought Rip's chicken back to Missouri in a cooler, so friends can try it out. It nukes pretty well, and everyone has loved it (even one certain fried chicken snob, who I don't think was humoring me with his rave review).

I recommend getting at least two Rip's "appetizers"-- a plate of cracklins and a plate of dill pickle slices. You can make cracklin "tacos" with the pickle slices for a thrill. It's actually pretty tasty, and goes well with beer.

If you Chicagoans make the drive, I think you'll find it well worth the effort. You might also check out Ron's Cajun Connection in Utica (etoufee rivaling anything in the French Quarter, incredible roasted pecan pie, and deep-fried, breaded corn on the cob), Uptown Bar and Grill (extraordinary fare in a well-designed place, with unreasonably cheap prices) and for breakfast, Parkway Diner in Mendota, Illinois.

Yep, we gain about 5 lbs apiece with ever visit to north-central Illinois. Make that 10 lbs, when Mendota has its Sweet Corn Festival.

quote:
Originally posted by shaas

quote:

Glenn

cocacolakid
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/05/14 23:51:53
I've been meaning to try Priscilla's for the past few months. Pat Bruno, the food critic for the Chicago Sun Times, said Priscilla's has the best fried chicken outside of Georgia. I actually found this site while I was searching for info on Priscilla's.

Stormycat is right, Brooster's Chicken is fantastic, although not fried. They cook it right on the flame broiled grill in front of you and chop it up. It's a great lunch. They also have a third location in the Chicago area in Bolingbrook on Lily Cache and Route 53, one stop light north of I-55. I believe they have a few Florida locations too.

White Fence Farm has a carry out only location in Downers Grove on Fairview ave, just south of Ogden ave, right near the train tracks. They are quite a bit cheaper than the main resteraunt. I can't remember the prices right now, I think it's $6.99 for a full dinner with 2 sides. If you are anywhere near the western suburbs it's worth stopping in and picking some up, you can normally get in and out in 5 minutes, and they cook the chicken fresh when you order.
cocacolakid
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/05/15 00:23:37
I found a nice review of Priscilla's on the metromix site:

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/search/mmx-040123-diningpriscillasultimatesoulfood.story
danimal15
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/05/17 16:19:23
Thanks for the advice on Priscilla's. I'll have to try it.

cocacolakid
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/06/07 14:47:50
Well I had an opportunity to try Priscilla's a couple of weeks ago. It was very good but not as good as White Fence Farm. I still haven't tried Del Rhea's, I'll have to when I get time but I'm never out that way often.

Priscilla's had a nice batter and tender meat but the pieces were very small. Also, I asked for white meat and got one small breast and two tiny wings. I also had two sides, a very nice green beans (I think they are cooked with bacon for added flavor) and macaroni and cheese. Both sides were very good, the mac and cheese could have had more flavor though. Priscilla's was 8.99 for 3 pieces with two sides and a very small piece of cornbread. Not a great value compared to White Fence Farm's takeout, which I'll post more on below. Priscilla's has a bunch of other entree's as well and they change daily. They have a total of 21 different sides that rotate as well. It's a nice clean place, I think it's an old Sizzler or Ponderosa, easy to get to with a good size parking lot. Very nice staff. The only knock is I wish the chicken was also available by the bucket. Recommended if you are in the area - Roosevelt Rd in Hillside.

Now I looked around to find the phone number to White Fence Farm's carryout only in Downers Grove and found out they have a total of 4 carryout locations in the Chicago area - next to the main resteraunt in Lemont, and also in Riverside, Joliet, and Downers Grove. Addresses and phone numbers are here:
http://whitefencefarm.com/chicago/carryout.htm

3 large pieces with cole slaw, fritters, and your choice of fries or mashed potatoes and gravy is $5.95, a really good deal. The last time I was there the pieces were huge.

They are closed Mondays, open the rest of the week.
davebil
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/06/26 22:47:10
Tradition demands that anyone making the trip to Ladd, Illinois for a sit-down of Ripp's chicken must also make the walk to Tori's ice cream parlor 2 blocks down the street. Nothing like an old-fashioned butterscotch or hot fudge sundae to settle a belly full of Ripp's finest!
MoBob
Hamburger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/06/27 10:03:32
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

There's a White Fence Farm here in Denver, too. I haven't been there but one of my sisters has. I had no idea there were a chain! Does anyone know of them anywhere else?

Hey Pwingsx...Could ya gimme a location for WFF there in Denver
Thanks
Pwingsx
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/06/27 17:05:02
I'm no good at directions (I'm sort of challenged that way, but MapQuest or something like that should help you) but here's the address:

Country Manor at White Fence Farm
5403 W Jewell Ave
Lakewood, CO 80232
(303) 936-5485

www.whitefencefarm.com

The website shows stuff on the one in Illinois and here in Colorado.
nativeofplainfield
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/07/01 13:20:47
FYI...White Fence Farm has a web site

http://www.whitefencefarm.com/

quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

nativeofplainfield
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/07/01 13:23:13
For those of you concerned about White Fence Farm prices...they are having a great 50th aniversary deal on chicken.

Check it out...
http://www.whitefencefarm.com/chicago/50th_anniv_special.htm
jslad
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/07/19 16:06:06
Harold's in Chicago is good if you know which one to to. They're not all the same. I moved from the south side years ago, but the one on 71st and Merrill and the on at c.71st & State (on the east side of the Ryan) are good. I've been to both in the last year. For the price, it's good.
BTB
Cheeseburger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2004/07/25 13:21:18
Thought I would put my two cents into the fray regarding good fried chicken in the Chicago metropolitan area. White Fence Farm is fair for chicken, but Dell Rhea's is much better. Harold's Chicken Shack chain serves generally dry and barely passable fried chicken. Surma's in Homewood used to be very good (before they closed down). I have not tried Rip's or Priscilla's. The Lantern Restaurant in downtown Lake Forest serves excellent fried chicken. The Village Tavern in Long Grove serves fried chicken that I think is even a little better and on Monday and Wednesday evenings is even served all you can eat. But the best fried chicken in the Chicago metropolitan area IMHO is down in Schererville, Indiana at the southeast corner of Route 30 and 41. I have been going to Teibel's Restaurant there since I was a kid (30 years ago) and it remains my favorite for fried chicken (which is always served all you can eat -- family style) and their lake perch. I was recently told to go south on U.S. 41 a few miles from Tiebel's and try the fried chicken at a restaurant called "Dick's," which a friend of mine raved about. Will let all know of my findings if I get by that way.
Bloozman
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2006/02/17 23:54:42
See my post titled..."The Best Chicken in Chicago"
danimal15
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2007/05/08 14:41:59
Anyone been to Rip's Chicken in Ladd, Ill. lately? We might have a chance to get out there soon, and I wanted to make sure it was still around.

Thanks.
Ram4
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2007/05/25 12:52:03
I have to tell you, I was not impressed by White Fence Farm when I had it. The chicken was on the bland side, and worst of all, they won't let you pick the pieces you want. I prefer only white meat, and they said I could't do it. I said, "If I give you $100, can I have only white meat?" "No." They make the rules, I understand that, but I was shocked by their refusal since it's never ever happened to me before or since at any other fried chicken restaurant. No big deal, because it wasn't that good anyway. If I loved it, then I'd have to order a lot more chicken (or take my nephew who is a dark meat only guy). Then we can trade. Del Rhea's was also not that great. A big letdown. But I do want to give them another chance soon.

I found a place that does have a unique Fried Chicken recipe in the last place you'd look - Glencoe, IL. It's called[url='http://www.jimmysredhen.com/']Little Red Hen[/url] and I love their chicken, especially the extra crispy breading. They also make awesome steak fries. It's on the greasy side too. At this point, probably my favorite Chicago area fried chicken place. But they don't do the typical sides. No biscuits or mashed potatoes and gravy. The rest of the menu is like a typical Chicago pizza/burgers/hot dogs place.
Ram4
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2007/05/25 14:11:22
I totally forgot another gem in Chicago. This is the last place you'd think of for Fried Chicken. [url='http://www.icon.com/joes/Chicago_home.html'] Joe's Seafood Prime Steak and Stone Crab [/url] is on the corner of Rush and Grand. You will have to pay at least $10-12 to park. Quit whining - be a man, suck it up, and leave it with the valet. Joe's is one of my favorite restaurants for prime steak, but what a shocking find the Fried Chicken was on the menu. I think it's $15, one of the cheapest things on the menu. It comes with nothing on the side of course, you're in a high end place remember? You get a nice plate of chicken, white and dark meat, and the breasts are even cut a unique way. They make the fried chicken to order, so plan on a solid 30 minute wait, and once it's done, it's burning hot. The chicken is moist, juicy, and really crispy on the outside. The breading is sometimes on the bland side, so I like to add pepper. You'll see big time lawyers or investment bankers sitting alone at the bar eating a huge plate of the fried chicken. I guess it is "Fried Chicken for Rich People!" Anyway, I highly recommend it. The rest of the food is amazing as well. I'm not a seafood lover, but many people go there just for the seafood. The steaks are prime and are great. The sides are awesome, with many kinds of potato dishes (I love the cottage fries). The dessert menu is primarily made up of giant slices of pie. Check out the site and menu. They are in Caesar's Palace now too.
ChiFoodMike
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2007/08/23 23:38:26
Uncle Remus Chicken in Broadview @ Roosevelt and 15th and 4144 W Madison in Chicago is good for the $$. Make sure to get the mild sauce. It is pretty darn tasty.
Jim2903
Cheeseburger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2007/09/18 11:35:40
Visited WFF about two weeks ago after a long absence -- first trip with my 3-year-old daughter, to relive visits when I was a kid. Food was still great like I remembered.

I've always wanted to try Dell Rhea's but haven't gotten around to it ...
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2007/09/18 11:41:34
Dell Rhea's does some nice antique car shows as well.
danimal15
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2007/11/02 17:07:38
quote:
Originally posted by Ram4

I have to tell you, I was not impressed by White Fence Farm when I had it. The chicken was on the bland side, and worst of all, they won't let you pick the pieces you want. I prefer only white meat, and they said I could't do it. I said, "If I give you $100, can I have only white meat?" "No." They make the rules, I understand that, but I was shocked by their refusal since it's never ever happened to me before or since at any other fried chicken restaurant. No big deal, because it wasn't that good anyway. If I loved it, then I'd have to order a lot more chicken (or take my nephew who is a dark meat only guy). Then we can trade. Del Rhea's was also not that great. A big letdown. But I do want to give them another chance soon.

I found a place that does have a unique Fried Chicken recipe in the last place you'd look - Glencoe, IL. It's called[url='http://www.jimmysredhen.com/']Little Red Hen[/url] and I love their chicken, especially the extra crispy breading. They also make awesome steak fries. It's on the greasy side too. At this point, probably my favorite Chicago area fried chicken place. But they don't do the typical sides. No biscuits or mashed potatoes and gravy. The rest of the menu is like a typical Chicago pizza/burgers/hot dogs place.

Little Red Hen? I live in Highland Park and haven't heard of it. Maybe I'll check it out this weekend. Thanks.
FuwaFuwaUsagi
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2007/11/03 02:52:24
Best fried chicken in the outer rim of the burbs is found in Sublette IL at the Gas Station. That gas station does a huge business on Broaster Chicken. Absolutely stunning. Now I grew up on White Fence Farm when they had one in Aurora, I loved Harold's when they were great maybe 10 years ago, but nothing compares to the Broaster chicken at that Gas Station (understand Sublette is so small there is only one Gas Station). Ah, moist, flavorful chicken, with crispy chicken skin that is well seasoned...yum.

brittneal
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2007/11/04 03:55:59
Boy this makes me feel old. I remember going to the one in Chicago back in the early 60's. Rmemeber this is before you found chicken everywhere you looked. Tho Col. had yet to explode on the scene. I loved fried chicken and my Mom never made it. We went to the White fence farm a couple times a year. I remember the HUGE bicycles on the walls inside. I remember the shrimp cocktail. Recall the 60's shrimp cocktails? A fluted glass filled with shredded lettuce and broken shrimp pieces mixed in sauce(I loved those things). In the summer we would be seated outside by the merry go rounds and stuff. I was to young to make a review then so all I have is some cherished childhood memories. By the time the one in Denver opened I was in the Biz. I was the chef at Baby Doe's at Mile Hi stadium. I remember taking some friends there and telling them how fabulous it was. All I can say ia reality never lives up to childhood memories. Without cocktails we spent around 50 bux 4 the four of us(this was in '85 dollars when KFC did their more cluck for a buck-2pcs. with mash and a roll for .99). The food was good, but not outstanding. I never returned.
danimal15
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2008/07/16 10:17:07
I still haven't been to Rip's or Del Rhea's (I mean to, someday), but for the moment, I have to give a high recommendation to The Lantern in Lake Forest, where we celebrated my younger son's 5th birthday the other night. I ordered the four-piece "broasted" chicken dinner, and although it wasn't deep fried, it tasted just as good. I was very happy with the chicken - the crust was crunchy and light, and the pieces were nice and meaty with no grease. As I ate, I said to my wife, "There is absolutely no reason to drive 50 miles to White Fence Farm when this chicken is almost as good." In fact, the chicken at The Lantern may be a bit better than White Fence Farm. That was my wife's conclusion (she had the two-piece).
Tommy2dogs
Cheeseburger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2008/07/18 22:41:12
Broasted is actually deep fried under pressure
danimal15
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2008/07/22 13:10:18
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

Broasted is actually deep fried under pressure

Indeed. I still consider it fried. It just sounds healthier!
RSMBob
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2008/08/20 02:40:05
I talked to my parents tonight who live in IL and they just went to WFF over the weekend...just a unique place with good food...a family restaurant for all ages for sure. We got to be talking about a place in Downers Grove that sadly closed 20+ years ago...it was better than WFF. Anyone remember "The Last Word" on Ogden Avenue (US Rte 34)? In addition to the incredible fried chicken, they served cinnamon pinwheel rolls with the dinner that were great. They expanded and made half teh restaurant into a buffet-place and it was never the same after that.

One other note about The Last Word...my little sis didn't like fried chicken so she always got a cheeseburger, and it was made more special with a tiny American flag stuck into it!

Amazing what things stick in your memory sometimes.
KingCrab
Cheeseburger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2008/08/27 11:29:59
White Fence Farm never really impressed me for fried chicken. I agree with some other posters above, Del Rheas in Willowbrook is better, and Ripps Taven out in Ladd, IL. is much better. I live out in LaSalle County, and their are probably a dozen places that are better than White Fence Farm. I often refer to LaSalle County as the fried chicken capital of Illinois.

Some of the better places are:

Cherry Supper Club - Cherry, IL.
Hank's Farm - Ottawa, IL
Caretto's - Ottawa, IL.
Johhnny's Corner Tap(they also serve deep fried turtle) - Marseilles, IL.
mary jean
Junior Burger
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2008/09/03 15:13:49
quote:
Originally posted by danimal15

Anyone been to Rip's Chicken in Ladd, Ill. lately? We might have a chance to get out there soon, and I wanted to make sure it was still around.

Thanks.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2009/01/05 23:34:58
Here's a restaurant that you Chicagolanders ( is that a word? ) should check out for really excellent fried chicken. It's called Popolano's, and it's right here in my backyard - on Torrence Ave. here in Lansing, about a mile south of I-80 / I-94 ( aka the Kingery Expressway. ) The chicken here is great; crispy and meaty with a delicious flavor. IMHO, it's better than either White Fence Farm or Dell Rhea's. The sides are about average, but the creamy chicken and dumpling soup is really good.  A word of advice: stick to the chicken and you'll have a fine meal, but DON'T order the spaghetti and meatballs. You wouldn't think a restaurant could screw up a dish that simple, but Popolano's did - never again! Just go for the chicken, and I'm sure you'll come away quite happy.             Bob
danimal15
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2010/10/21 13:45:54
Thanks to everyone on this 7-year old thread who suggested Rips in Ladd, Illinois. After all this time, I finally took my family there this weekend and it was worth the trip (and the 1.5 hour wait on a Saturday night for our meal).

Not only was the chicken wonderful, as advertised, the atmosphere was terrific. Lots of nice people to talk to while waiting, and a wonderful dining room with a good view of the tiny kitchen where they make that unforgettable chicken. I had a quarter light and a quarter dark because I wanted to try both types. I think I enjoyed the dark more than the white, but both were very juicy and flavorful. We will definitely be back. Why this place isn't listed on Roadfood's "official" Illinois restaurants is something I can't understand. It is the epitome of "roadfood." Someone needs to give it a write-up in the Illinois restaurants file.
danimal15
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2010/10/21 13:47:06
Oh - and by the way, the total bill for our dinner (not counting the beers my wife and I had while waiting - was $26. This was for six fried chicken dinners. (4 quarter whites, 2 quarter darks). An incredible bargain!
danimal15
RE: White Fence Farm outside of Chicago 2010/10/21 13:50:45
Ram4

I totally forgot another gem in Chicago. This is the last place you'd think of for Fried Chicken. [url='http://www.icon.com/joes/Chicago_home.html'] Joe's Seafood Prime Steak and Stone Crab [/url] is on the corner of Rush and Grand. You will have to pay at least $10-12 to park. Quit whining - be a man, suck it up, and leave it with the valet. Joe's is one of my favorite restaurants for prime steak, but what a shocking find the Fried Chicken was on the menu. I think it's $15, one of the cheapest things on the menu. It comes with nothing on the side of course, you're in a high end place remember? You get a nice plate of chicken, white and dark meat, and the breasts are even cut a unique way. They make the fried chicken to order, so plan on a solid 30 minute wait, and once it's done, it's burning hot. The chicken is moist, juicy, and really crispy on the outside. The breading is sometimes on the bland side, so I like to add pepper. You'll see big time lawyers or investment bankers sitting alone at the bar eating a huge plate of the fried chicken. I guess it is "Fried Chicken for Rich People!" Anyway, I highly recommend it. The rest of the food is amazing as well. I'm not a seafood lover, but many people go there just for the seafood. The steaks are prime and are great. The sides are awesome, with many kinds of potato dishes (I love the cottage fries). The dessert menu is primarily made up of giant slices of pie. Check out the site and menu. They are in Caesar's Palace now too.

Wow - I have to try that! Sounds great.