Popping corn

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2008/12/23 16:17:13
Since I can't get Newman's Own popping corn (not microwave corn) any more, can anyone recommend to me their favorite popping corn? And don't even get me started about Orville Redenbacher. That stuff is just plain tasteless. I got spoiled by the rich corny flavor of Newman's Own, and I'm looking for something similar. I doubt anything I can buy at a grocery store will do.

Thanks.
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Popping corn 2008/12/23 18:04:42
When I'm looking for gourmet popping corn I go to Williams Sonoma. Their Black Cat Corn is a popular item. W-S usually has a few different choices.

Online, there's Reihl's and Amish Country Popcorn which I've had as gifts, but don't actually buy it for myself - but, it's a good gift. I've always liked both company's popcorn.
RibRater
Re:Popping corn 2008/12/23 18:08:06

I have not seen the Newmans so I can't offer a comparison but i do enjoy http://whitecatpopcorn.com/

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Popping corn 2008/12/23 19:20:00
My family is sold on the products from Fireworks Popcorn.  Our favorites are Sunset Fire and Savanna Gold.

Their store is in downtown Port Washington, not a bad drive from Chicago if you have a reason to head this way.  Otherwise, they have a good size mail order business.
drpep
Cheeseburger
Re:Popping corn 2008/12/23 21:48:10
 When I could not get Newmans ( the non micro was hard to find) I'd buy Jolly Time Americas Best and since Newmans is no more I'll probably get that from now on.  When I saw Newmans for sale at Ollie's Bargain Outlet ( a closeout retailer) 2 months ago for $1.74 I knew trouble was coming and stocked up.
  If forced to by store brand I choose the white over yellow kernals.
 Several years ago my mother bought some popcorn for me from the Boy Scouts. I have no idea what the name was but it was fantastic. I've also found good popcorn in small boutique stores but the price was rather high.
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Popping corn 2008/12/24 06:52:38
http://www.popcornpopper.com/index.html

Take a look at this site, I'm a huge popcorn lover! The Whirly Popper is excellent, the folks here are great to deal with. The popcorn is superb.
post edited by rebeltruce - 2008/12/24 06:57:13
danimal15
Re:Popping corn 2008/12/24 10:09:51
Thanks, everyone! This is very helpful. I'll try some of your suggestions.
Dan
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:Popping corn 2008/12/24 11:04:33
I certainly second the Whirley Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper as making fantastic popcorn. The added bonus is that it does it in about the same time it takes to make microwave popcorn. JRPfeff has a very good webpage for popcorn kernels and it shows a  number of Chicagoland locations for picking up the Fireworks popcorn. We 're partial to the baby white rice but I'm looking forward to trying High Mountain Midnight and the Black Hills variety. An added bonus is the Whirley Pop popper makes an excellent green coffeee bean roaster. http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.stovetop-popper.shtml

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Popping corn 2008/12/24 11:24:13
Mike,

Thanks for pointing out the other Fireworks locations.  They have grown like crazy from their one store in their Belgium, WI warehouse just 2 years ago.

If you are looking for some bright economic news, it is right here.

Jim
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Popping corn 2008/12/26 19:12:07
drpep

Several years ago my mother bought some popcorn for me from the Boy Scouts. I have no idea what the name was but it was fantastic.

Trail's End is the brand sold by the boy scouts

http://www.trails-end.com/TEPublic/

It is a REALLY good product, I have a bucket of kernels and some of their micropop, bot are really good

drpep
Cheeseburger
Re:Popping corn 2008/12/26 19:31:07
 I just received a bucket of Trails End for Christmas. I'm not to thrilled with this one, I just hopes it's a bad batch. 
mjambro
Cheeseburger
Re:Popping corn 2009/02/11 11:42:31
Through the years, I've tried a number of different popcorn sources, but have always come back to simple, Orvil Redenbacher.  I believe their advantage is a larger kernal / less shell.  IMO, the trick to good popcorn is the use of peanut oil (never air popped / never microwaved). I've found the Fireworks brand to be too much shell vs. kernel.  
tmiles
Re:Popping corn 2009/02/11 12:15:42
CajunKing

drpep

Several years ago my mother bought some popcorn for me from the Boy Scouts. I have no idea what the name was but it was fantastic.

Trail's End is the brand sold by the boy scouts

http://www.trails-end.com/TEPublic/

It is a REALLY good product, I have a bucket of kernels and some of their micropop, bot are really good

I support the Scouts, and buy the product, but IMO, it is only average at best. I am told that they are a good company to work with, though.

ken8038
Re:Popping corn 2009/02/11 21:46:25
<<Take a look at this site, I'm a huge popcorn lover! The Whirly Popper is excellent, the folks here are great to deal with. >.

I'll 2nd that. We had a Whirly Popper for 20+ years and we finally decided to replace it with a new one. On the new one the plastic "gear" thing cracked after about 2 years, way past waranty. I called, and an ACTUAL PERSON answered the phone on the 2nd ring, asked a me a few questions about make and model and then sent me TWO new plastic gears, no charge.
drpep
Cheeseburger
Re:Popping corn 2009/04/28 21:43:43
 When I used up the last of My Newman's Own I started using Jolly Time America's Best. It was okay but lacking. Last week I found Pop Weavers at Dollar General for $1.50 a bag. This is much better, not Newman's, but a fine replacement for my needs.
jman
Re:Popping corn 2009/04/28 22:32:14
We really like Ladyfinger.  You can buy it at most Amish stores and best of all- no hulls.

If you don't have an Amish store close to you, here's a website where you can order it.
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Popping corn 2009/04/29 10:47:46
I really enjoyed those tiny popcorn kernels. They pack a ton of flavor, are tender, and have very little hull.
WarToad
Re:Popping corn 2009/04/29 11:12:02
I have a seed packet full of this falls popcorn crop.

Fun for the kids.  They love planting their own popcorn, nurturing it, harvesting it, shelling it, then popping and tasting the fruits of their own labor.

Fun for me watching them weed.
Re:Popping corn 2009/04/29 11:26:31
We recently picked up a jar of "white rice" corn from Koepsell's and it's good stuff.  I think we got it at one of the Roundy's affiliates here in WI.

I've grown popcorn in the past with varying degrees of success but now I just buy it.

Brad
WarToad
Re:Popping corn 2009/04/29 11:43:42
Same here Brad, re: varying degrees of success.  It's mostly a fun kid project that teaches them that it takes work for food.  I keep reinforcing into them everything has a price one way or another.  Your sweat, your money, everything we consume has it's price. That's why we don't waste.

"Yea, Dad, I know, I know.  You've said that a million times."
"Then why is half your sandwich in the garbage?"
"I was full.  Can I have a snack?"
"Sure, here's half a sandwich."
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
Re:Popping corn 2009/04/29 17:58:37
One word... Bay Corn! Oh, that's two words. Bay Corn pop corn is tha bomb! But, you gotta use ur imagination! :~)
Joe
drpep
Cheeseburger
Re:Popping corn 2011/04/27 21:32:01
I'll bring up this two year old thread to report that Walgreen's Deerfield Farms brand popcorn is now my popcorn of choice. $2.99 for an almost 3lb jar and it pops up just as good as Orvilles or Jolly Time's Americas Best.
Re:Popping corn 2011/04/29 15:04:27
I haven't seen Black Jewell mentioned here...so I'll mention it.  I don't care for most microwave popcorn but theirs is pretty decent, and their regular white corn really pops up nice.

Brad
stricken_detective
Re:Popping corn 2011/05/05 16:31:23
I buy my baby rice corn from the farmer's market.
SassyGritsAL
Re:Popping corn 2011/05/16 18:32:07
I can't stand the smell of microwave popcorn; it makes me ill o smell it; therefore, I pop my own. I just buy the big bag of Wal-Mart's brand. It's cheap and pops up real good.
bartl
Re:Popping corn 2011/05/18 20:11:37
I have been using Alton Brown's method for microwave popcorn: Take a brown paper lunch-type sack, put in popcorn, a bit of oil and salt, fold over the top, staple with two staples, and cook using the 2-second rule. Comes out great every time, and I KNOW what I put in it.

Bart