Garmin Nuvi 760 and Roadfood points of interest

heidip732
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
Garmin Nuvi 760 and Roadfood points of interest - Tue, 12/30/08 12:56 PM
Hello everyone,

I just got a great new gps, and I'm anxious to put the Roadfood points of interest into it.  It's a Garmin Nuvi 760, and I think I downloaded the points of interest.  However, when I look under points of interest, and look up food, i don't see a listing for them under restaurants.

What I would like to do is to see them (it's so nice not having to think about bringing my book along!), and also set an alarm if I'm driving near them.  Does anyone know how to set that up?

Thanks very much, and hopefully we'll be seeing you at some of these great places!

Heidi

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
  • Total Posts : 2096
Re:Garmin Nuvi 760 and Roadfood points of interest - Tue, 12/30/08 1:15 PM
Heidi, I am not familiar with that GPS, however, I highly doubt it should be listed under "Food" - I imagine Garmin only recognizes them as custom/imported POI location, which is how TomTom classifies them.

In short, perhaps you are looking in the wrong place!

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
Re:Garmin Nuvi 760 and Roadfood points of interest - Tue, 12/30/08 1:24 PM
Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Heidi, I am not familiar with that GPS, however, I highly doubt it should be listed under "Food" - I imagine Garmin only recognizes them as custom/imported POI location, which is how TomTom classifies them.

In short, perhaps you are looking in the wrong place!

I have a Garmin 360 and they appear in "My Favorites" under Custom POI's. As for setting an alert or alarm, I believe this is done in the POI loader program when/as you are loading them to your GPS. You can set a certain distance. I have mine set at 5000feet. 

heidip732
Re:Garmin Nuvi 760 and Roadfood points of interest - Tue, 12/30/08 1:29 PM
Thanks for moving my post to the right location.  And yes, I'm sure that I'm looking in the wrong location.  But, I don't know where to look.  And maybe I'm not seeing them because I imported them into the wrong spot.  I didn't put them into a POI folder (didn't know there was one.)

Still hoping for more guidance!

Heidi

Tony Bad
Re:Garmin Nuvi 760 and Roadfood points of interest - Tue, 12/30/08 1:31 PM
I followed the instructions at this very useful site...

http://www.poi-factory.com/

It was a while ago, so I can't recall exactly what I did, but this site has a good help section and also a lot of neat POI files to load once you learn how.

Good luck!

heidip732
Re:Garmin Nuvi 760 and Roadfood points of interest - Wed, 12/31/08 9:07 AM
I checked out the web site, and it's got very good pointers.  I can see that I did a couple of things wrong.  So, I'll go back, delete and start again.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Heidi

heidip732
Re:Garmin Nuvi 760 and Roadfood points of interest - Wed, 12/31/08 9:09 AM
Ah yes, the POI loader program.  I knew I was missing something!  Thanks!!

Heidi

kozel
  • Total Posts : 810
Re:Garmin Nuvi 760 and Roadfood points of interest - Sun, 01/4/09 9:49 AM
Something you may not be aware of is that you can use 'folders' with the Garmin.  I created folders called 'eat', 'shop', 'stay', 'gas' and so on.  I put the food related poi files in 'eat', fuel related ones in 'gas', store related ones in 'shop', hotel related ones in 'stay' and so on.  The folders will show up as catagories under the custom poi selection.  If you are looking for a place to 'eat' and don't care which poi file specifically in that folder you want to track, you can select the folder 'eat' and select 'all' in that folder.  That way you'll see all and only the food related poi entries.  I think you are limited to only 1 level of subfolder and there is a limit to the number of poi files (files, not entries) you can put in a subfolder (~35).  The poi loader will tell you if you exceed the limit.  I've had to break down my food related poi files to 'eatA' and 'eatB' folders.

One other warning, carefull using numbers in the folder names as well as in the poi file names.  They seem to set speed 'alerts'.  If I called the folders 'eat1' and 'eat2', I would get speed alerts if I exceeded 1 mph (or 2mph for eat2) in the poximity of any of the poi entries in these folders.

There is a lot you can do with POI files depending on how you 'program' them and depending on the manufacturer and unit you have.  The concept suffers from there not being a 'standard'.  Even within the Garmin family, the nuvi series is somewhat different from the 'street pilot' series.

I agree with Tony, see www.poi-factory.com for a wealth of poi help, information and free poi files.
<message edited by kozel on Sun, 01/4/09 9:51 AM>

heidip732
Re:Garmin Nuvi 760 and Roadfood points of interest - Sat, 01/10/09 9:56 PM
Well, I finally found my roadfood points.  They are under the "extra" area, not points of interest.  I'll have to fool around in making a separate folder for them.

One thing that is odd, I don't get all of the info in wrap around style.  It looks like the phone number is always cut off, and I'm not sure if that's just how the information is formatted, or if it's something that i did.  But, thanks for all the help.  I'll keep working on it.

Tony Bad
Re:Garmin Nuvi 760 and Roadfood points of interest - Sun, 01/11/09 10:23 AM
heidip732

Well, I finally found my roadfood points.  They are under the "extra" area, not points of interest.  I'll have to fool around in making a separate folder for them.

One thing that is odd, I don't get all of the info in wrap around style.  It looks like the phone number is always cut off, and I'm not sure if that's just how the information is formatted, or if it's something that i did.  But, thanks for all the help.  I'll keep working on it.

Your persistence is admirable!

It took me a while playing around to get things as I wanted. Be sure to follow the help directions from POI factory on where to but your custom POI files. I had trouble finding mine initially as well until I followed their directions to the letter. Mine appear in the "my favorites" section of "where to go"  in subheading "Custom POI's".

The upside to all this fiddling is you'll know this GPS backwards and forwards soon!

shaden65
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:Garmin Nuvi 760 and Roadfood points of interest - Thu, 02/12/09 12:36 PM

I have the nuvi 670, I have saved the roadfood poi, and I have no idea how to transfer the data to the device. HELP!!!

Tony Bad
Re:Garmin Nuvi 760 and Roadfood points of interest - Fri, 02/13/09 8:36 AM
shaden65

I have the nuvi 670, I have saved the roadfood poi, and I have no idea how to transfer the data to the device. HELP!!!

Try clicking on some of the links above. The instructions at poi factory guided me through the process nicely. 

kozel
  • Total Posts : 810
Re:Garmin Nuvi 760 and Roadfood points of interest - Sat, 02/14/09 10:27 AM
shaden65

You'll need the POI loader sotware available on the Garmin site.  Put all of your poi files in a directory, attach the GPS to your computer via the USB cable, load the POI loader software and answer a few questions. This will transfer all of your poi files to the GPS.