Vitaioli's Cucina Pazzo (WI)

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4737
  • Reward points : 0
Vitaioli's Cucina Pazzo (WI) - Sat, 01/3/09 1:52 PM
Vitaioli's Cucina Pazzo is a new restaurant here in Edgerton WI and according to the newspaper article "the menu will be dominated by home-made pizza and pasta; Italian beef, sausage, and meatball sandwiches; Chicago-style hot dogs; and pizza by the slice" (possibly due to the number of Illinois people that visit the area).  The owner is the niece of the founder of Mario's Pizza and the family also owned and operated a bar & grill outside of town for a few years, so they have roots in the community.  It's only been open for a few days (hours are Tues-Sat, 11a-11p) and I haven't had a chance to get there, but that should change pretty quick.

Brad

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17855
Re:Vitaioli's Cucina Pazzo (WI) - Sat, 01/3/09 2:42 PM
I wonder why they named it Crazy Kitchen.

ScreamingChicken
Re:Vitaioli's Cucina Pazzo (WI) - Sat, 01/3/09 2:54 PM
Because you have to be crazy to open up a restaurant in the current economy?

Brad

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17855
Re:Vitaioli's Cucina Pazzo (WI) - Sat, 01/3/09 3:46 PM
Brad_Olson

Because you have to be crazy to open up a restaurant in the current economy?

Brad

ScreamingChicken
Re:Vitaioli's Cucina Pazzo (WI) - Sun, 01/4/09 11:49 AM
I visited yesterday afternoon about 4:30 and bought a hot dog, an Italian sausage, and an Italian beef.  All came with fries and the base price was $13.00.

They use 1 hot dog - a natural casing Vienna beef, and my guess is that it's probably a steamed 8/1.  Instead of getting a Chicago dog I ordered a regular hot dog with mustard and extra pickle and since it came on a plain bun the poppyseed bun is apparently reserved for the Chicago.  They were generous with the Chipico pickle spears as I was given 4, and the dog was everything I expected it to be.  I was wondering if it was going to be the skinless variety so the casing was a pleasant surprise.

I'm not normally a beef eater at places like this but figured I'd give it a try.  They make their own with bottom round from Sorg's in Darien, a cradle-to-grave operation with a good reputation that I can personally attest to.  I ordered it wet and they didn't skimp on the jus; the roll was pretty much a soggy mess when I was getting to the end and I was even given a small container of extra in case I needed it.  Personally I felt it could've used maybe just a touch more salt and seasoning but someone more familiar with beef sandwiches would be able to provide a better opinion.

I'm saving the Italian sausage for last because I liked it best.  Some people get them with red sauce and others like them wet, but I like them dressed just like a dog.  The sausage was split lengthwise and I suspect it might've been grilled, but as I was eating it in the car I couldn't really tell.  Regardless, it was excellent.  Nicely spicy without being overpowering and the roll (same as used for the beef) was outstanding.  Lightly crusty on the outside and soft on the inside, and I wish I'd thought to ask who the baker is.  The sausage comes from a Milwaukee/Chicago purveyor and I think the name might start with "Gr", but I can't remember.  CSD, does this sound like any company you know?

No Polish sausage on the menu, though.  I asked and was told that it's a "we'll see" thing.  They also have pizza but that'll have to wait for another visit.

It took probably 15-20 minutes to fill my order but there were only a couple of people working and the phone rang with pizza orders at a consistent rate, so another set or 2 of hands probably would've speeded things up.

I can see 3 potential customer bases: the 3-season people from Illinois, the high school kids, and the people living nearby.  Vitaioli's is located downtown while all other fast food is out on the perimeter (Subway on the north end and McD, Taco John's, and Culver's 2 miles east of town by I-90) so there's a bit of a captive audience here, too, especially since many homes are within easy walking distance.  I can't imagine a worse time to go into the restaurant business but the family has experience and the products I had were good, so I think they have a chance and I hope they succeed.

Brad

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4469
Re:Vitaioli's Cucina Pazzo (WI) - Sun, 01/4/09 12:19 PM
Brad_Olson, Nice critique of the Crazy Kitchen.  It's good to know that people are still willing to take a chance.  That is what will eventually turn things around.(my opinion, of course)

Thanks for taking the time and glad it was worth you time.

ScreamingChicken
Re:Vitaioli's Cucina Pazzo (WI) - Fri, 04/10/09 11:53 PM
A little over 3 months and the restaurant's still open, so I hope they're doing well.  The summer season's almost here...

Brad

mseverence
  • Total Posts : 1
Just recently visited the cucina pazzo for the first and last time - Thu, 05/21/09 12:32 PM
So after noticing that this establishment has managed to stay open in this weak economy I finally decided to venture in and get a taste of what these Edgerton folk call real Italian Dining.

For an appetizer we started with the Fried Raviolis and the Artichoke Spinach dip.  The fried Raviolis came 6 to a plate and over fried and had a hint of chicken or something else that may be fried in the fryer at the same time.  The Spinach artichoke dip, served with the homemade flat bread was also something to avoid.  The flatbread didn't seem to be made in house, and the dip was mediocre at best.  Must have come from a can.

For Dinner we decided upon on of their special Deep dish pizzas (which unfortunately require almost an hour of prep and cook time).. . Should have called in a half hour before arriving as this would have shortened our dreaded hour wait in this dull and mostly empty environment.

When the pizza finally arrived we were astounded by the look of the pizza, the presentation looked great, however the pizza was overloaded with sauce and at 1.25 per topping on a 14" pizza they were very lean with the fixins.

Upon waking up at 4 am to go to work this morning my stomach felt like it was unable to hold what I had eaten just 8 hours before and I found myself hugging the toilet for the next 45 minutes puking my guts out and drinking glasses of water to flush that toxic waste that someone calls food out of my system before it has a chance to get any further into my bowels.

I've found that I will probably never visit this establishment ever again and just stick to Marios Pizza, which was cleverly placed in this location right next door, Many, Many years ago.

stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Just recently visited the cucina pazzo for the first and last time - Thu, 05/21/09 7:42 PM
No wonder you threw up! Fried ravioli, spinach artichoke dip & deep dish all on the same night? Seriously? Your gallbladder must be screaming. Not to mention, who eats right before they go to bed? You need a good 3 hours to digest. Unless you're sleeping 5 hours a night?

Why do you say that the bread didn't "seem" to be made in house? What are you basing this opinion off of?

Where can I buy spinach artichoke dip from a can? Can you direct me to a website? It would save a lot of time as my mom loves this stuff.

Chicago style pizza does indeed take an hour to cook. And yes, it comes with the sauce on the top. I honestly don't think it's the pizza's fault you got sick. As to your statement "what these Edgerton folk call real Italian Dining."? The rest of your post contradicts this as you didn't know a Chicago style pizza comes with the sauce on the top.

I'm gonna try it if I get out that way again. But I was serious about the flatbread.

Deanna99
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Just recently visited the cucina pazzo for the first and last time - Thu, 10/29/09 11:16 PM
I would venture to guess that this establishment isn't what most "Edgerton folk" consider real Italian dining.  There isn't a restaurant in Edgerton that offers real Italian dining.

We've dined once in the restaurant and ordered pizza twice for delivery.  The dine-in experience was ok at best, standing at the counter waiting to order/pay before we took a seat at our table was a bit odd - kind of a fast food feel in a sit down restaurant.  We ordered a thin crust pizza with about 4 toppings.  The sauce was bland and the pizza as a whole was pretty flavorless.  The pizza that was delivered was probably the worst pizza that I've had.  The first time I figured it was a fluke, and my husband actually likes their food, so we tried it again.  The same thing happened the second time, the cheese was nasty, for lack of a better description, and the texture was gross at best.  I'm a texture person when it comes to food, so the consistency of the cheese really put me off.  Others may not have this issue.

It's not a place that I'd choose to visit again, and definitely won't order anything for delivery / carry-out.

And, in my opinion, Mario's is nothing to write home about either.  One person that posted in this forum stated that the owner of Vitaioli's is the niece of the owner of Mario's, that came as no surprise - the pizzas at both establishments are tasteless.  Sad to say, but my family prefers Pizza Pit to any pizza place in Edgerton.