Harolds Deli, MORE PICS added !!! E.Brunswick,NJ , 2 visits!, good BEEF RIBS (who KNEW?!?

ellen4641
  • Total Posts : 3531
  • Reward points : 0
Harolds Deli, MORE PICS added !!! E.Brunswick,NJ , 2 visits!, good BEEF RIBS (who KNEW?!? - Tue, 01/6/09 10:25 PM
I went to Harold's Deli's (new 2nd location) in East Brunswick on back- to- back days!  Sat. JAN 3rd and Sun. JAN. 4th, 2009 . (www.haroldsfamousdeli.com)
I drove straight there Sat. night, after dealing poker in AC 
From the NJ Turnpike, it's 1/4 mile away off exit 9 (great pit stop for travelers!!!  

I was to "meat up" with Gil, who lives about 20 minutes away. I just met him during the week, while dealing $1.00-$2.00 blinds "no limit" poker to him in AC
We started with the MATZOH BALL SOUP. One size, (feeds 2) for $15.95

We ordered 2 PASTRAMI sandwiches. $15.50 each

Pastrami was up to par . MOIST ! Melted in my mouth!
Carnegie in NYC is still my favorite pastrami, with Irvings in Livingston 2nd place.
Harold's is a STRONG 3rd, however. Harold's fresh seeded RYE BREAD is #1, IMO
And the Pickle/health salad/rye bread bar is a STRONG ASSET!

He had told me on the phone a few days back that he was 49, just like ME!
And that he was turning 50 on Jan. 4th , which was the day after our pastrami.
So, I did a little "gag gift" shopping at Spencer Gifts in the mall....I figured it always feels nice to get some  "stocking stuffers"...
I bought doubles on a lot of the "big 5-0 " stuff, so I'll have some cute accessories for my OWN big 5-0! I'll be proudly displaying the "honk! Driver just turned 50"

Note the green "pickle bar" sign on the back wall...(pickle bar is on right)
No visit to HAROLD'S is complete without a pic of their TOWERING CAKES!
Next time I'm going for an ECLAIR! (I'm usually more of a choc. layer cake gal,
but THIS eclair has me sold!)

Decisions, decisions!!
I crashed out at my sisters house, near Freehold.
I ended up going BACK to Harold's the next day.
(after lunch at BLITZBURGERS in North Brunswick, anyway!) 
  JAN 4th, 2009 BLITZBURGERS, North Brunswick. They have only been open for a year. There is 1 other location in New Brunswick. Great CHARBROILED burgers
Separate Blitzburger report coming soon!

Then, a "RETURN to HAROLD'S...in daylight. Note the "world's best bbq ribs" sign

What IS that in front of me ??? Is it a piece of prime rib???

It's a giant BEEF RIB ! ($14.95 on their appetizer menu)

I'm glad I noticed the appetizer price, as I thought I only had that $41.95 choice!
It had a nice, crispy, charred taste on outside... good , but a bit too fatty on inside. (and the menu said "fatty", too) However, there was enough good, tender meat in there to make it worthwhile. Besides' I only ate about 1/4 of it.
(but all of the crispy parts!!) 
HAROLD'S BEEF RIB...this is one GIANT rib!!

How the HECK did I get the idea to have a beef rib at Harold's?!??
Well, I had googled "best beef ribs in NJ", and at the very TOP listing, there was a link to a FLICKR photo  from a SIR DUKE. He claimed  the beef ribs were the best secret on the menu.  Here's the FLICKR pic from "SIR DUKE". I put him on my favorites list

Watch out when you see this "taxicab yellow" car in front of a joint.
It means the good stuff might be gone already!!

I took out a piece of CHEESECAKE ($12.45) enough for 3 people
So rich and creamy, and I love a good graham cracker crust..
the piece was big, but not "all that"... EXCELLENT taste!
I'll be eating it at home all week (a few bites a day to spread the calories out!)
 See you again soon, Harold's!

I also took out a BRISKET SANDWICH, which I am still eating 3 days after
It's the real thing, and it came with a nice side of "au jus" .
Note the 10 pieces or so of RYE BREAD slices it came with. About HALF A LOAF !
(usually they give out 5 piece with a regular sized sandwich. I got lucky, huh?!)

<message edited by ellen4641 on Wed, 01/7/09 8:20 PM>

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4895
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Tue, 01/6/09 11:17 PM
Ellen, you're killing me! Everything looks sooooooooo good!
Sometimes, I think there is a definite disadvantage not living in, or near NYC.

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7740
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Tue, 01/6/09 11:21 PM
Beautiful report, Ellen!!!

OMG!! I know that man from somewhere!!! I am not exactly sure where, but somewhere, for sure!!!

I am thinking about the possibilities. Palisades Park, Hoboken, Jersey City, Staten Island,  Atlantic City or the Meadowlands Racetrack.

No spooky vibes, or funny business. I just know our paths have crossed, somewhere.
<message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 01/6/09 11:31 PM>

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7590
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 12:23 AM
Ellen, what a cool thing you did with all of those gifts!  Very cute.

That matzo ball is HUGE!  Sandwich doesn't look so bad itself.

I gain weight just reading your threads!

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6067
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 5:32 AM
Another gem, Ellen..That was a special night...and you made a 50th birthday,one to remember.You've got class!!!...Oh and that sandwich looked perfect,too!!!

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4530
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 6:58 AM
Can't wait to try Harold's myself.

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4462
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 7:17 AM
Ellen, What can I say.  You're the BEST!!!

Looks like a lot of us are biting the dust this year(50).

jaylhorner
  • Total Posts : 427
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 8:27 AM
Another great report!

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 8:30 AM
Ellen, A while ago you wrote..."carnegie is just mediocre, not as good as it used to be" yet above you write "Carnegie in NYC is still my favorite pastrami". I really like Carnegie, so I was surprised when you said you didn't like it and now again when you say it is #1. Have they gotten better then they were a couple of years ago? 

<message edited by Tony Bad on Wed, 01/7/09 9:23 AM>

Baah Ben
  • Total Posts : 3026
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 8:30 AM
Ellen..Looks like Harold reduced the size of his pastrami sandwich by a slice or two.  (Ha Ha) He's amazing isn't he. The man has a gift for giving..FOOD BY THE POUND!  Love it! 

Pictures are terrific.  Need to be added to that Harold's Picture Gallery Book By Ellen, Bruce and Sue...

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4710
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 8:38 AM
I'd willingly tackle a sandwich like that.  I see the mustard, but what's that in the other plastic container?

Brad

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 9:22 AM
Brad_Olson

I'd willingly tackle a sandwich like that.  I see the mustard, but what's that in the other plastic container?
Brad

That's my side of Russian dressing, Brad

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 9:26 AM
CCinNJ

OMG!! I know that man from somewhere!!! I am not exactly sure where, but somewhere, for sure!!! 

He definitely has that "look", huh?!? He looks familiar!!!
He enjoys playing poker in AC occasionally;maybe he tried to "raise" you once?!?
after college, he said he worked for Marriott behind the front desk; perhaps he checked you in during one of your worldly travels??!

Also, he sells life insurance, or at least used to.  He said his hours were VERY flexible these days. 

<message edited by ellen4641 on Wed, 01/7/09 10:22 AM>

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 9:58 AM
Tony Bad

Ellen, A while ago you wrote..."carnegie is just mediocre, not as good as it used to be" yet above you write "Carnegie in NYC is still my favorite pastrami". I really like Carnegie, so I was surprised when you said you didn't like it and now again when you say it is #1. Have they gotten better then they were a couple of years ago? 

Hi Tony! Happy New Year...
It's nice that you are paying attention to my trip reports....
You're right, as I did have a stage where I had a few visits to the Carnegie that left me uninspired. The pastrami was "off"....too blubbery in the wrong places, just did'nt blend.... it was hard to chew..
even the couple from Indiana next to me said their sandwiches were "off" from the night before. The gal liked it so much the previous night that she went back.

My sis kept swearing by the Carnegie , so I went back, and realized those "off" pastrami's were very much the EXCEPTION.

I sounded  hyprocritical , I know...

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 10:02 AM
ellen4641

Hi Tony! Happy New Year...
It's nice that you are paying attention to my trip reports....
You're right, as I did have a stage where I had a few visits to the Carnegie that left me uninspired. The pastrami was "off"....too blubbery in the wrong places, just did'nt blend.... it was hard to chew..
even the couple from Indiana next to me said their sandwiches were "off" from the night before. The gal liked it so much the previous night that she went back.

My sis kept swearing by the Carnegie , so I went back, and realized those "off" pastrami's were very much the EXCEPTION.

I sounded  hyprocritical , I know...

Not hypocritical...things change and what was good last year may not be so good this year. I was just wondering if you had some bad experiences. I am just glad (and lucky) I have never been there on an off day!

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 10:02 AM
leethebard

Another gem, Ellen..and you made a 50th birthday,one to remember.You've got class!!!..

Thanks , Lee...
I barely knew the guy, but I know it's a nice feeling to be remembered on your b-day. (espescially a big milestone one!!) "do unto others"

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7379
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 10:51 AM
ellen4641

leethebard

Another gem, Ellen..and you made a 50th birthday,one to remember.You've got class!!!..

Thanks , Lee...
I barely knew the guy, but I know it's a nice feeling to be remembered on your b-day. (espescially a big milestone one!!) "do unto others"

Oh, I thought he was your new boyfriend.

You guys actually look like a couple this time.

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1054
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 10:56 AM
Looking at all that beautiful deli food and remembering the deli's we grew up with in Chicago, it saddens me when I drive past this second rate "deli" we have here in Austin called Manny Hattan's. How quaint. I ate there once and when you compare the towering piles of pastrami and brisket in this report with the dismal excuse for a sandwich they serve here, makes ya wanna cry. (sniff)

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4530
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 11:35 AM
Excellent report ... Thanks Ellen ...

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 11:53 AM
Baah Ben

FOOD BY THE POUND!  Love it! 
Pictures are terrific.  Need to be added to that Harold's Picture Gallery Book By Ellen, Bruce and Sue...

I had the "regular" size pastrami, 13 ounce. $15.50
I wonder if anyone is really putting that meat on a measuring scale...they're probably just eyeballing it by now.
The 26 ounce size is $31.00. (no extra discount for quantity)

One thing I am totally AGAINST on those Roadfood reviews is usual lack of DATES
visited. I like to know WHEN the trip was taken!
I believe the policy is not to put dates on now???

You and I should start our own website, "All Harold's, all the time"...(LOL)
since we both love Harold's so much!!
nothing but HAROLD'S!  (kind of like W.I.N.S.; "all news, all the time"!)

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 12:57 PM
Great report as usual. I agree with the date issue, I think it's imperitive for an acurate review. Chow Jim 

Baah Ben
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 5:34 PM
Great looking deli brisket!

He uses that "World's Best" a lot,  but what the heck.  He pleases so many diners.  I'm sure his competitors are not thrilled though.

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Wed, 01/7/09 8:31 PM
Baah Ben

Great looking deli brisket!

He uses that "World's Best" a lot,  but what the heck.  He pleases so many diners.  I'm sure his competitors are not thrilled though.

What competitors?!? You know that Harold's is in a league by himself, Chuck.  If we were in NYC, he'd have a little competition in the pastrami league.                                                                                                              
  Jesse and David's in Manalapan use lots of Hebrew National products. And then there's Jerry and Harvey's in the Pathmark shopping center, in Marlboro. ( Some of those places do make certain items homemade, like full turkeys and potato latkes, etc).  Another place nearby , called "Cuzzin's Deli" DID have a pickle bar. It was on Rt. 9 in the Regal Movie theatre shopping center, Marlboro.
(slicer joint, as well) They wanted to be known for their corned beef.
They were just "okay"....the rush soon died off, and they suddenly closed up..
they lasted perhaps a year, at best..(correct me if I'm wrong, people)
All I know is I remember seeing a sign on the door from disgruntled customers who had put down deposits to have b-day parties there.

I can see Harold giving some of those local diners on Rt. 18 in East Brunswick a little to worry about, but places like the SEVILLE DINER looked PACKED when I drove by them. (great salad bar, and real good charbroiled burger there , etc, etc
<message edited by ellen4641 on Thu, 01/8/09 12:18 PM>

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Thu, 01/8/09 8:40 AM
brisketboy

it saddens me when I drive past this second rate "deli" we have here in Austin called Manny Hattan's.

When the names of the delis get too cute, like "Manny Hattan's", and "Datz a Deli", etc, that's usually a bad sign...!

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1559
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Thu, 01/8/09 1:03 PM
Wow Ellen! I'm home today, just vegging out (well, maybe "vegging" is not the right word) for  a change. No plans, no nothin'. Maybe once every 3 or 4 months I do this.

And I was quite proud of myself for making do for lunch with leftovers. A big left over baked potato, covered it with left over chili (Bush's from a jar) and shredded some cheese on top.

So after that I decided to sit down and see what's new at Roadfood and the first thing I see is your report. Now I'm annoyed that I didn't go out for lunch, and doubly annoyed that I could have been to either Harold's or Irving's in 1/2 hour.

Left over baked potato... what was I thinking...

It's amazing how you get around.  Keep it up, it's an inspiration for all of us. Thanks!

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Thu, 01/8/09 2:21 PM
ken8038

Wow Ellen! I'm home today, just vegging out . No plans, no nothin'.
And I was quite proud of myself for making do for lunch with leftovers. A big left over baked potato

So after that I decided to sit down and see what's new at Roadfood and the first thing I see is your report.
Left over baked potato... what was I thinking...

Hey, a left over baked potato can hit the spot sometimes, Ken!
I can feed an Army on some of MY leftovers, though..
I last did HAROLD'S on SUNDAY, and I enjoyed the last of the leftover pastrami and brisket yesterday, WEDNESDAY....  it was even more fun eating it 3 days later!
(cause this way I get to eat good pastrami right here in my AC area; good nourishment before I go in to deal poker!
I even skipped dinner when I got home last night; (just "vegged out") how could I compete with that breakfast I had?  I figured I had enough calories for the day!

Ken, I was wondering where you've been! Good to see you on the boards again! And you're lucky you're living SO close to both Irving's AND Harold's!!!

Baah Ben
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Thu, 01/8/09 3:01 PM
Ellen - I'm assuming you warm up the pastrami? 

Do you take extra rye bread home with you from the pickle bar? 

I always warm up pastrami and corned beef in a strainer placed over simmering water and I cover the strainer. It comes out terrific.  Now, if I only had some pastrami to warm up!  It is my own little corned beef warming cabinet. 

Don't you love to watch those deli counter guys take those long forks and go into those cabinets and pull out a big pastrami or corned beef.

I hope you are not putting that beautiful meat in the microwave....

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1559
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Thu, 01/8/09 4:53 PM
<<Ken, I was wondering where you've been! Good to see you on the boards again! And you're lucky you're living SO close to both Irving's AND Harold's!!! >>

I'm alive and well and thanks for wondering about me. I've been posting here and there but basically I've been busy with the Holidays and all, plus I haven't been doing many day trips lately. Maybe tomorrow to stock up for a snowy Saturday...

Everyone who lives in NJ is lucky to be near some place good, not just me. In NJ you are never too far away from some great roadfood, it's one of the things I like most about living here.

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Fri, 01/9/09 8:22 AM
Baah Ben

Ellen - I'm assuming you warm up the pastrami? 
Do you take extra rye bread home with you from the pickle bar? 
I always warm up pastrami and corned beef in a strainer placed over simmering water and I cover the strainer. 
I hope you are not putting that beautiful meat in the microwave....

Yes, I do warm up the pastrami; usually I use that straining method...
my buddy Arnie told me last year  it was his favorite way to warm pastrami up.  (it seems like he just had learned about it, too) I tried it, and he was right!
About time I learned the "straining style" , huh?!?

I am still guilty of sometimes putting some in the microwave , too..
(but for no more than about 30 SECONDS or so,  TOPS)
Harold's pastrami seems to hold up real nicely, moisture-wise in the microwave.
I do taste comparisons, and they surprisingly taste very equal...
HOWEVER, of course, the microwave method must be monitored VERY closely..
I first do 20 seconds, then  shuffle the pastrami around, and do  another 15 seconds.

I do take home a lot of rye bread from the pickle bar, but it often does'nt hold up so good. (I usually end up eating the warmed pastrami slices by hand) It's just not the same as when one eats the rye extra fresh at Harold's.
While at Harold's , I make sure to butter up a slice or two with butter... 
makes a great app. !!

Well, the pastrami party is over for me, but I've still got HALF of this CHEESECAKE  slice left!!  
<message edited by ellen4641 on Fri, 01/9/09 8:50 AM>

acer2x
  • Total Posts : 440
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Fri, 01/9/09 10:02 AM

I've never heard of the "strainer style." I'll have to try it. Usually, I just heat up pastrami or corned beef in a fryng pan for a short time.

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Fri, 01/9/09 12:22 PM
acer2x

I've never heard of the "strainer style." I'll have to try it.

It's refreshing  that you were'nt familiar with it, Steve......as I felt a little embarrassed that I just found out  about the joys of the "straining method" recently myself...

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Fri, 01/9/09 2:12 PM
wanderingjew
[/quote

Oh, I thought he was your new boyfriend.
You guys actually look like a couple this time.

I'd just known him 4 days, but I showered him with b-day goodies, and he even got a starring role in a Trip Report! What more could a guy ask for, huh?!?

mar52
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Fri, 01/9/09 2:18 PM
Strainer style rules!  

I haven't had a deli brisket sandwich in years.  My mother cringes when she sees me put mayo on mine.  Mayo and horseradish on fresh rye and it's outstanding!

I think the delis of the San Fernando Valley are calling me.

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Fri, 01/9/09 4:12 PM
mar52

I haven't had a deli brisket sandwich in years.  My mother cringes when she sees me put mayo on mine.  Mayo and horseradish on fresh rye and it's outstanding!

I usually have about 3 or 4 bottles of various creamy horseradish brands in the fridge. I rarely cook, but I'm a person of many condiments!!!

On Harold's brisket, I put on some of the natual au jus, and a bit of the creamy horsey sauce. It was yummy!
Since mayo is "cool" to put on roast beef, I think it's okay to put some on brisket.
I usually opt for the horsey sauce, or even thousand island sometimes, (espescially if the brisket is in a "combo" sandwich).

eggsactley
  • Total Posts : 128
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sat, 01/10/09 8:12 AM

Fried pastrami and scrambled eggs...yum

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sat, 01/10/09 9:15 AM
eggsactley

Fried pastrami and scrambled eggs...yum

Now that's a nice breakfast , as well...
welcome to Roadfood, eggsactley...although I see you've been a member for over 5 years already! So, I'll say, hope we'll see more posts from you, eggsactley.
Your screen name "eggs-actley" reflects that you DO like your EGGS! 

<message edited by ellen4641 on Sat, 01/10/09 10:14 AM>

wmceaton
  • Total Posts : 313
Re:Harolds Deli, MORE PICS added !!! E.Brunswick,NJ , 2 visits!, good BEEF RIBS (who KNEW - Sat, 01/10/09 9:29 AM

Thanks for the Ellen...I have been to Harolds (Edison) many times, but I always got either the pastrami or the corned beef. I am heading to NJ on business on 1/20 & will get the beef ribs this time...they look so good.

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, MORE PICS added !!! E.Brunswick,NJ , 2 visits!, good BEEF RIBS (who KNEW - Sat, 01/10/09 10:18 AM
wmceaton

I am heading to NJ on business on 1/20 & will get the beef ribs this time...they look so good.

HI wmceaton,
Glad I inspired you for those beef ribs....and I was surprised that so far you've been the only one that remarked about them.......the beef RIB, I should say..
Wonder if you'll go for the GIANT rib on the app. menu, or the full beef ribs dinner.
Let us know how it goes.  And perhaps, you'll still take out a pastrami to go...
I imagine good pastrami is hard to find in the Boston area, so go for it...

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3698
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sat, 01/10/09 10:19 AM
ellen4641

I'd just known him 4 days, but I showered him with b-day goodies, and he even got a starring role in a Trip Report! What more could a guy ask for, huh?!?

A 19-year old sorority girl, with a full scholarship to Princeton, whose Daddy owns a bar?

Just thinking out loud, of course.

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sat, 01/10/09 12:15 PM
The Travelin Man

ellen4641

A 19-year old sorority girl, with a full scholarship to Princeton, whose Daddy owns a bar?

And her granddaddy is a retiring CEO, who got a multimillion dollar severance package!

Twinwillow
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sat, 01/10/09 12:54 PM
brisketboy

Looking at all that beautiful deli food and remembering the deli's we grew up with in Chicago, it saddens me when I drive past this second rate "deli" we have here in Austin called Manny Hattan's. How quaint. I ate there once and when you compare the towering piles of pastrami and brisket in this report with the dismal excuse for a sandwich they serve here, makes ya wanna cry. (sniff)

BB, I have felt your pain. While visiting my son in Austin, we went there one time. Once was enough! 

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sat, 01/10/09 1:18 PM
What a great report. I knew Harold's was the plkace to go for great pastrami and briskit but that beef rib! I will definately have to go for that. Beef ribs are my favorite. I make them at home because my kids like them better than pork ribs. Thanks for the info Ellen.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sat, 01/10/09 1:33 PM
I can honestly say I have never had beef ribs.That one looked awesome.The one rib looked like enough for me!

mar52
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sat, 01/10/09 2:18 PM
Awesome,  it was HUGE!  I've never seen one like that.

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sat, 01/10/09 2:46 PM
agnesrob

I knew Harold's was the place to go for great pastrami and briskit but that beef rib!

It had really surprised me, as well, when I googled "best BEEF RIBS in New Jersey", and Harold's Deli came up on top of the list...!!
cause  a "Sir Duke"  posted the FLICKR pic of his beef ribs

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sat, 01/10/09 2:51 PM
P.S. Hey, MAR52, back to our HORSERADISH talk...
I just looked at the ingredients for my CREAMY mild horseradish, and it's made with some of the same ingredients as MAYO...
soybean oil, egg yolks..
So, if you are using the  real HOT horseradish, and mixing it with mayo, it would EQUAL normal mild horseradish, anyway..
Your mom might cut you some slack on your mayo use now!!

Twinwillow
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sat, 01/10/09 4:44 PM
Ellen, those beef ribs look incredible. And, tender too. I could kill for one right know!

rpalmer1
  • Total Posts : 55
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sun, 01/11/09 11:37 AM
Ellen, Do you have any ordering tips for first time visitors to Harold’s? I understand sharing is expected. Is the pickle bar included with the entree? If you split a sandwich does each person have to pay for the pickle bar? What is the process for getting condiments/bread for take home? Any of your thoughts would be appreciated. Rusty
<message edited by rpalmer1 on Sun, 01/11/09 11:39 AM>

Baah Ben
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sun, 01/11/09 12:24 PM
Rusty - Great questions!  Thanks!!

How do you pass up a pastrami or corned beef sandwich for the beef ribs...With great difficulty I'd assume.

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sun, 01/11/09 2:09 PM
Baah Ben

How do you pass up a pastrami or corned beef sandwich for the beef ribs...With great difficulty I'd assume.

That's why I DO recommend that at least one in the party get the pastrami!
(espescially if it is a FIRST time visit) As his pastrami is the TOP specialty, IMO

In my case, I still had 1/2 my pastrami from the day before to bring home to AC.  On my 2nd Harold's day, I had the beef ribs;  I took the brisket and cheesecake to go. I'd been thinking of ordering another pastrami, but as it was, my bill was $45.00 for that 2nd day (felt like I got my moneys' worth, though!)
I'm still struggling with the rest of that cheescake slice, though...
wish some of my favorite Roadfooders lived nearby to stop over for coffee and cheesecake!!

mar52
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sun, 01/11/09 2:17 PM
Ellen, If I'm counted, I'll be there in a minute.

If I only could!

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sun, 01/11/09 2:39 PM
rpalmer1

Ellen,  I understand sharing is expected. Is the pickle bar included with the entree? If you split a sandwich does each person have to pay for the pickle bar? What is the process for getting condiments/bread for take home?

Yes, sharing is expected, and I'm proud to report that there is no extra charge for sharing at Harold's,  either.

There is no extra charge for the pickle bar. I doubted there was a charge for the "sharer" to conquer the pickle bar. I just called Harold's right now to confirm.
The answer is "there is NO charge for the "sharer" to get the pickle bar".
The hostess  reminded me , though, that the pickle bar is  NOT available on "to go" orders.  (they give you at least 5 pieces of rye bread, 2 pickles, mustard, and cole slaw with "to go" orders)
So it's MUCH better to eat IN, as one can also get the excellent HEALTH SALAD, hot cherry tomatoes, sauerkraut, etc..
(even if you only take a bite or two of your sandwich, and then proceed to ask for a take out container.......cause at least you'll be entitled to that great Health Salad!

When I just ordered my beef rib "app." to start with, the waiter said "Help youself to the salad bar"...
I asked the hostess just now on the phone if the pickle bar was included on appetizers. (did'nt know if the waiter was just being nice). She said YES.

Harold EXPECTS one to take home some extra rye bread slices from the pickle bar, to go along with all that leftover pastrami. I usually take home about 5 or so extra slices.
(I enjoy a slice with whipped butter on it, too!)

ORDERING TIPS: One regular sized pastrami (13 ounces) is really enough for 2 people. They can always say "We'll start off with one pastrami sandwich", and see how it goes.   However, if they want the joy of leftover pastrami for the next day or so, they should each get their OWN sandwich! Personally, since I live almost 2 hours from a Harold's, I want  to get the FULL effect (which means a full sandwich, so I can have leftovers) If one lives 20 minutes away, they can go almost anytime, so splitting makes more sense...
Or perhaps, one person should get the pastrami, and the other , the brisket.. 
 And then divide it up amongst yourselves. (I was very impressed by the brisket.)

Hope this answers all your PASTRAMI questions for now, Rusty.
It was fun hanging out with you in CT last year...hope to "meat up" with you again soon.  Perhaps you can join us for the WESTERN MASS tour on May 17th? 

My sis just had an experience the other day at the Carnegie Deli, whereby my niece just wanted some hot chocolate. (she does'nt even eat read meat, and thus had absolutely NO interest in my sisters pastrami.
The waitress wanted to charge her a $3.00 sharing charge, (on top of the hot choc. price), even though she was'nt sharing! (just sitting and "sipping"...)
Finally, the waitress said "Okay, but if she even takes one bite of the sandwich, we'll have to charge you that fee". 
My sis always had always loved the Carnegie.....this time a few things turned her off.
(she finally had her first bad experience)  She felt like she got the "scraps" hidden in her pastrami reuben, and not even GOOD scraps, either..
fatty, hard to chew scraps. In retrospect, she said she should "start sending those kind of sandwiches back".. even if those food servers are like military officers.. 

Then the bill came, and the waitress barked a familiar spiel that my sis heard once before while with me there.......she said "You pay the cashier, and leave the TIP on the table". Only after hearing that voice give the SPIEL, did sis realized it was the same gal we once had; she said she would've switched sections if she knew ahead of time.. and that these "extra seasoned" food servers are not pleasant.
It's one thing when a food servers got a little "shtick", but it's another when it feels like one is getting a scolding... 

I understand that there are a lot of International travelers that do not understand the art of tipping, and may think tips are included.
But my sister does'nt even give the aura of an international traveler.
and felt that the treatment was condenscending...
All this would'nt be so bad if she got a decent sandwich...
POOR sis, as she continued to FIERCELY defend the Carnegie, after I had told her about my less than stellar sandwich there last year.(I've since had the same great sandwiches I'm used to having).And now SHE has expererienced "offness"

All you roadfooders out there, just be GLAD if you have'nt hit the Carnegie on an off day yet! (or got an "off the mark" sandwich) 
<message edited by ellen4641 on Sun, 01/11/09 9:42 PM>

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sun, 01/11/09 3:11 PM
I would have told her, "The $3.00 will be coming out of your tip." 

rpalmer1
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sun, 01/11/09 3:39 PM
Ellen, thanks for answering all my questions. I may join you guys on the western Mass. tour. I am not a fan of Harrell's ice cream as the fudge is way too sweet.

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sun, 01/11/09 9:56 PM
rpalmer1

I may join you guys on the western Mass. tour. I am not a fan of Harrell's ice cream as the fudge is way too sweet.

I don't like things TOO sweet, either...

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sun, 01/11/09 10:50 PM
mar52

Ellen, If I'm counted, I'll be there in a minute.
If I only could!

You are definitely a favorite Roadfood pal!

<message edited by ellen4641 on Sun, 01/11/09 10:52 PM>

rpalmer1
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Mon, 02/16/09 7:52 PM
Went by Harold's in East Brunswick today and it was closed. Sign said "Temporarily Closed". Found the one in Edison. told the waitress I wanted coffee and was asked "Cream or Milk". A good start. Ordered the small pastrami reuben that was very good. i could smell the melted swiss as it was brought out. The pastrami is a close second to the Carnagie. The pickle bar was great and to my suprise I liked the health salad. The family next to me ordered a pancake. It was the size of a small pizza. Over all a great experience.

ellen4641
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sat, 02/21/09 11:49 PM
rpalmer1

Went by Harold's in East Brunswick today and it was closed. Sign said "Temporarily Closed". Found the one in Edison. Ordered the small pastrami reuben that was very good. i could smell the melted swiss as it was brought out. The pastrami is a close second to the Carnagie.

So glad to hear you enjoyed your pastrami reuben, rpalmer!
I thought it was odd that Harold was opening another Harold's "clone" only about 15 minutes from his Edison location....
That immediately raised eyebrows for me!!
Sure enough, it only lasted 8 months or so...

TnTinCT
  • Total Posts : 442
Re:Harolds Deli, E Brunswick,NJ for 2 visits ! BEEF RIBS (who KNEW??!?), etc.. - Sun, 02/22/09 8:04 AM
Ellen, the pics always do me in! Although I am in the land of great pizza, our deli options are sadly limited, and I consistently suffer from pastrami envy!! We're headed to the city with my nephew in April, and deli will be one of the first things on my list.  He's never been, so am trying to compile a list of as many fabulous food experiences as we can manage in 2 and half days!