Drinking 1 beer

Akin to eating 1 potato chip. I don't get it, either you are going to drink some beers[designated driver, of course], or what's the point, I don't mean getting drunk, but 3-4 beers if your going to have any, am I 1 voice crying in the dessert,[sic]?
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/11 17:30:24
I enjoy a single Guinness.

Technically, it isn't a beer ... I can't drink many beers at a sitting ... too many bubbles.

Slight contradiction: I can drink a couple cask ales, but they are hard to find.

Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/11 17:32:30
4 turns into 6 so I stop at 3. 2 drinks when out to dinner either Beer or Mixed. A whole afternoon and evening at home watching Football.....Who knows...Russ
Adjudicator
Sirloin
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/11 17:38:43
Dinkelacker.  Pale Gold.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/11 17:42:50
I have a two drink limit outside my home. Lately it has been at most one beer or other drink in the evening. However, I might be more prone to abusing wine because once the bottle is open I think it has to be finished.
brickie
Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/11 18:01:50
One Duvel satisfies pretty well.
Ted Steak
Hamburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/11 18:38:32
 Yes. But a 4 pak REALLY satisfies!
tiki
Filet Mignon
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/11 19:00:51
My doctor has me at ONE DRINK A DAY!!!----so--i abstained for 3/4 of December and the rest of this January and on New Years Eve I drank one  Sierra Nevada Celebration  ale for each day in the last week of December  and one shot of that lovely 17 yr old singls malt for each of the first 8 days of January!---is that cheating!!???----but for MOST days---i am afraid its really only ONE BEER a day! Oh well----at least i wake up on the top side of the sod!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/11 19:09:37
Currently, it is Dogfish Head Head 90 Minute Imperial Ale.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/11 19:25:31
 I (almost) always do "just one." 
That's 'cause I'm on medication and 2 is like 10! Cheap date, I am.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/11 20:10:41

I love a 'really cold Beer' in a Frosted Glass Mug(24 oz) on a hot-humid day! The first one goes down very quickly and flushes out the heat...The Second I will drink about halfway as quickly as the first, then I slow down for the remaining half. Usually there will not be a third!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/11 20:18:41
I might be able to drink one Rolling Rock. For some reason, I go straight to drunk, if drinking beer. I could drink a few pitchers of  (white) Sangria, and not feel much, but a few sips of beer, and I am done.
DougS
Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/11 20:26:56
I like beer, but not too fond of bottled beer, I prefer draft. I never drink at home, a case lasts as long as weeks and months depending on who, we get for company.
Usually, it is just the coffee pot.

But! when I go out with pals, it is generally a couple of large 20oz draft beers and lots of conversation. I like to eat with a brew.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/11 20:39:33
Do they serve beer at White Castle??
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/11 20:52:00
joerogo

NJ WC has a SYOIPB policy. Sneak your own, in paper bag!!!

For us GIDDY drinkers, that is cool. However, not all drinkers are giddy , so some NJ WC (like Jersey City) also have bullet-proof glass, between register, and customer. Those are considered DAQWB locations. Drive away, quickly, without beer.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2009/01/11 20:55:09
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/12 02:53:26
If I know I can only have one beer, i'll opt for something else as I cant stop at one. I havent had a beer since New Years though and I havent missed it yet. I've quit smoking, drinking, i'm on a diet, and i'm exercising all at the same time. Yeah, I havent suffered enough in life and i'm an idiot, but we'll see how long it lasts.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/12 03:18:53
I enjoy a fine beer,like a fine wine...I drink to appreciate the taste...not just to quench a thirst,,,water(or lite beer,which is mostly water) is for that!!! So one or two with a meal is fine, like one glass or two of wine!
Fieldthistle
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/12 05:40:41
Hello All,
If I am out and driving, it is one or two beers or none.
At home, I drink when I know I can have 3 or 4,...or
6 or 8....my doctor has me on a liquid diet.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/12 07:47:57
Tough to have just one...maybe at a business lunch or to be polite when offered one.
I usually have about 3-4 a day, spread out over a time period of 6pm-11pm M-S.
Sunday during football season is a whole 'nother world. My beer du jour these days is Pabst. Cheap & pretty good beer (just make sure it is really cold). I can get it for about $12 a 30 Pack and I do like the flavor along with the nostalgia.
Harpoon IPA is still my favorite along with Allagash's Hugh Malone Ale....when you can find / afford it.  
post edited by wmceaton - 2009/01/12 08:05:42
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/12 07:56:20
I'll occasionaly have an ale, but only when eating certain foods for dinner.
Run2Eat
Hamburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/12 08:31:32

Sure... I can keep it to just one .
WarToad
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/12 08:50:43
Biere du Boucanier.  Or possibly a Saison Dupont.  If I had to stay homegrown, I'd go for a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barlywine. One of those is an insta-buzz anyway.

And I'm like you Davydd - when I'm out and know I'm driving, 2 drink limit.
AndreaB
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/12 10:10:47
If I'm out to lunch I stick to one --- if out to dinner maybe two.  I like beer with my meals.  I'm really enjoying all the lime flavored beers that are out now.

Andrea
Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/12 10:42:38
I usually only drink one beer. There are a lot of reasons, health primarily, but also that I love the taste of a really good beer, but don't like the feeling of being drunk.

Taking those factors into consideration, when I'm at a party and they offer mass-market beers, I usually drink diet soda instead.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/12 10:54:16
If it's Samuel Smith, then one will do
Willly
Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/12 11:22:40
MiamiDon

Currently, it is Dogfish Head Head 90 Minute Imperial Ale.

New Year's Eve. this was the toast for the non-wine drinkers. This is a delicious IPA with little hint of its alcohiolic content and a beautiful floral-hops note...
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/12 12:37:16
Phildelmar

If it's Samuel Smith, then one will do

Oh I agree...a superb beer to be enjoyed slowly...my brother-im-law's beerr society out west voted it the BEST brand!!!! great choice,if not easy to find...I also disagree with some comments above: ice cold beer...might as well drink water...if you're thirsty anything ice cold clenches thirst...and stbtle flavor is lost...hell most flavor is lost...ice cold, stick to free water!!!!
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/12 13:57:30
Reminded me of a quote of mine from many many years ago "I can't be drunk, I only had one cang."

Cakes
jurgen974
Junior Burger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/12 15:52:34
as long as it's bottomless...
Lindseyup67
Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/13 05:27:23
I find it hard to have just one beer....especially in the summer....outside doin lawn/garden work,enjoyin the sun, food on the grill.......stuck here in the U.P. of Michigan where a storm is currently raging outside, tis but a faraway dream............................ :(
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/14 22:41:20
Dearfolk,
   Yes, I have been known to drink one beer and stop with that, but usually it's because of one of these factors:
1) I have let my belt out a notch and feel guilty about it. Oof!
2) I have to crawl out of bed the next day at a reasonable hour (say, noon or 1:00 P. M.).
3) What I'm drinking is high-gravity and I've gotta drive home.
4) I'm driving on unfamiliar roads in a faraway city.
5) All the place has is national brand beer, it's 104 degrees, and I've come in to eat, not drink.
   Now: can ANYONE drink only one draught of Jever Pilsener?!?!?!? Yumsville.
      Moderately In Moderation, Ort. Carlton in All-Too-Often-Immoderate Athens, Georgia.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/15 00:06:07
I limit myself to 3 beers---From a Bottle----From a Can--- from a Tap. That's it!
ken8038
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/15 08:45:14
When I'm out to eat or on a food day trip to somewhere, usually I will have between zero and two beers, tops. Oddly enough, I'm not particularly fond of beer with food, so if it's a food trip, if I have a beer at all, it's after I've made all the food stops, and will stop at a local tavern for a draught beer and to soak up the local color before heading home.

Friday nights I will usually head down to my basement music room to listen to tunage. Over the course of the night I will probably have 3 or 4 beers. This Friday night "tradition" dates back over 20 years to when my daughter was a baby and my wife wanted some peace and quiet from 9 to 11 PM in order to watch "Dallas" and some other show I forget the name of. So I'd take my daughter up to the attic in our old house and do the same thing, have a few beers and listen to music.

Over the past 23 years I'd say I've done this for at least 80% of all the Friday nights, sometimes with a guest or two but mostly just me. It's my down time after a hard work week.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/15 12:51:05
Sipping a good beer...and enjoying music in the background...perfect together!!!
porkchopexpress
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/19 19:21:39
joerogo

Back in the late 90's The Krystal's in New Orleans sold beer. Boy was it good.
Beer&Snausages
Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/22 13:43:57
At home usually one to two with dinner. Presently in the fridge waiting to be savored are:
Warsteiner Dunkle
Victory Baltic Thunder
North Coast Old Rasputin
Avery Old Jubilation
Smuttynose Winter Ale
Magic Hat Participation Ale

If I head up to Kclingers in Hanover http://www.kclingers.com/ or Max's on Broadway http://www.maxs.com/ depending on what they had on tap and whether I've had it before I'll have between 2 or 3. It also depends on whether my wife is adding to her collection or not.

rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/23 06:29:47
One beer!...Ok as long as it's from the Eternal Tap at the Straub Brewery in St. Marys, PA....where one beer lasts Eternally....

sk bob
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/24 17:09:54
one beer? don't tease me man.
Beer&Snausages
Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/25 10:05:58
Last night's beers with dinner at Kclingers: Otto's (State College, PA) Ottenator Dopplebock on draft and a bottled Wostyntje Mustard Ale from Belgium.
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/25 17:57:27
I always stop at one........well maybe 1:30

Sorry, old joke.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/26 01:20:09
rebeltruce One beer!...Ok as long as it's from the Eternal Tap at the Straub Brewery in St. Marys, PA....where one beer lasts Eternally....

Oh, Rebeltruce,
   Thank you immensely for that picture! Drinking from this famed spigot is one pleasure I've never had, although I have sampled fresh bottles of Straub's on several occasions. And a good friend of mine, whose word I can trust, tells me that Straub's Light Beer is utterly the best light beer brewed in America (light beer's what she usually drinks, and her favored brand is Yuengling Light "[Anything with at least SOME taste!" she asserts.].)
   Oh, my... you've just made me very, very glad I stopped by here tonight!
      Sundayly Unthirstily, Ort. Carlton in Makes One Week Athens, Georgia.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/26 01:28:45
Dearfolk,
   I've found myself in the midst of a dilemma lately. Copper Creek Brewing (our GREAT! local brewpub) has on draught right now BOTH a Winter Warmer AND a so-labelled "English Pale," which is served on a nitrous tap and is none other than a fine replica of an English Ordinary Bitter. It weighs in at around 4%, so it's one of those "session" beers that one can come close to making a career out of drinking over the course of an evening and still be able to function afterwards. (They also have two other brews: Espresso Stout [extraordinary!] and "Un-American" Pale Ale [named such because it's made with Pilsener malts instead of Ale malts! Ingenious and delicious!!])
   Now, in addition to ALL THAT, Trappeze has Victory Donnybrook Stout (3.7%) on tap, so I can flop out of Copper Creek, slosh the two downhill blocks to Trappeze, lunge in the door, plead for a Donnybrook for dessert, and hardly be refused. Oh, the utter slurpiness of it! Gadzooks, I'm hooked. It may not be possible for me to drink just one beer at a glugging right now....
      Unalementally, Ort. Carlton in Healthy Athens, Georgia.
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/26 06:52:22
Ort. Carlton.

rebeltruce One beer!...Ok as long as it's from the Eternal Tap at the Straub Brewery in St. Marys, PA....where one beer lasts Eternally....

Oh, Rebeltruce,
   Thank you immensely for that picture! Drinking from this famed spigot is one pleasure I've never had, although I have sampled fresh bottles of Straub's on several occasions. And a good friend of mine, whose word I can trust, tells me that Straub's Light Beer is utterly the best light beer brewed in America (light beer's what she usually drinks, and her favored brand is Yuengling Light "[Anything with at least SOME taste!" she asserts.].)

My pleasure Mr. Carlton!

We usually make the trip two or three times a year. It's a beautiful motorcycle trip from Virginia to St. Mary's. Although touring the brewery is always on the agenda, this year we are planning our first trip around a day that they will be bottling.....we've heard that on a bottling day the tour guide will grab a freshly bottled Straub from the line for each tour member to try!!

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/27 00:14:55
rebeltruce

Ort. Carlton.

Oh, Rebeltruce,

My pleasure Mr. Carlton!

We usually make the trip two or three times a year. It's a beautiful motorcycle trip from Virginia to St. Mary's. Although touring the brewery is always on the agenda, this year we are planning our first trip around a day that they will be bottling.....we've heard that on a bottling day the tour guide will grab a freshly bottled Straub from the line for each tour member to try!!

Rebel Truce,
As you may recall from previous posts, St. Marys, PA is my hometown! It's great to see you enjoying The Eternal Tap! Makes me a little homesick, (But not in Jan-Feb!) My HS Class of 1958 had our 50th Reunion last July. As you might imagine there were copious quantities of Straubs consumed![ll]
I just noticed in the picture they now give you plastic cups. Back in the day, they only had 6-8 oz glasses and when you were finished sipping the nectar of the Gods, you had to wash your glass in the sink. House Rules.!

post edited by Foodbme - 2009/01/27 00:22:34
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/01/27 06:53:40
Foodbme

rebeltruce

Ort. Carlton.

Oh, Rebeltruce,

My pleasure Mr. Carlton!

Rebel Truce,
As you may recall from previous posts, St. Marys, PA is my hometown! It's great to see you enjoying The Eternal Tap! Makes me a little homesick, (But not in Jan-Feb!) My HS Class of 1958 had our 50th Reunion last July. As you might imagine there were copious quantities of Straubs consumed![ll]
I just noticed in the picture they now give you plastic cups. Back in the day, they only had 6-8 oz glasses and when you were finished sipping the nectar of the Gods, you had to wash your glass in the sink. House Rules.!

The glass glasses are still there and the same rules still apply!!!! It just so happened that there were only four or five available and others were using them at the time. Rather then wait I opted for a plastic cup.... I love using the real glass though, I like using the bar glass washer even better!!!...LOL!
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/03/11 17:46:38
One Samuel Smith is good enough.
MellowRoast
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/03/11 18:10:14
I have a firm "1 beer rule" in restaurants, but I can't remember the last time I drank more than 1 at home.
JayL
Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/03/12 00:44:52
I'm not much of a beer drinker so I can, and regularly do, stop at just one.  And it's probably going to be a Carib lager.
brittneal
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/03/12 01:15:46

When I was a kid, we all got a tint glass of red wine with a holiday dinner.  Thats about the only "Adult" beverage I remember enjoying.  As far as drinking goes Im the kind that cant seem to stop once started.  Ive never had just one drink with I dinner.  I think it ruins the food(especially beer!)/  Id much prefer sweetened tea with a meal.
ken8038
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/03/13 21:52:45
<My HS Class of 1958 had our 50th Reunion last July. As you might imagine there were copious quantities of Straubs consumed!>>

That is just so cool to have graduated from St Mary's High School (or whayever it's called). If I could pick one HS reunion I'd like to attend, that would have been the one. Every single person there must have nostalgic memories of growing up in the town with one of the last remaining old time small town breweries. 
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/03/13 22:08:45

http://rodeo.cincinnati.com/getlocal/gpstory.aspx?id=100184&sid=141151

...one Little King on a hot summer day working the property makes me very happy....

ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/03/13 23:13:30
Shiner bock draught especially with Que or oysters.
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
Re:Drinking 1 beer 2009/03/18 19:24:23
Coupled with other myths.....

1) Bill Gates wants to share his fortune
2) Something great will happen if you forward this e-mail
3) The government will help you
4) Politicians are honest & really work for you
5) Fresh lobster in Kansas
6) "It's just a cold sore"
7) Ted Kennedy didnt know that Mary Jo was still in the car

Drinking one beer has been proven to be impossible...I worked an "If / Then" flowchart on a Mylar board at my house & came to the conclusion that it's not possible...you can't dispute science.