Eating Healthy while on the road...

freefall112
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
Eating Healthy while on the road... - Mon, 01/12/09 7:58 PM
Hey there... I'm new to the forum and I tour with bands so I wanted to join and find some tasty places to eat.

But I have to say when I'm in a bind and want to eat something in the morning I usually just go to the closest super market and make this it's extremely easy and healthy if you're on the road and don't want to eat fast food.

I'm a big fan of the tv show The Biggest Loser and along the way I got The Biggest Loser Cookbook as a gift and in the breakfast section I saw this super simple recipe.

It's called a Boston- Cream Peanut-Butter Banana Split.

It's just a banana cut in half  a table spoon of peanut butter distributed on both pieces. Topped with 1/3r cup of Boston Cream Pie flavored yogurt and 2 tablespoons of a high fiber cereal... like grape nuts.

It's really great!! Does anyone on the forums watch The Biggest Loser and want to be my gossip buddy?

- Pip

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
Re:Eating Healthy while on the road... - Mon, 01/12/09 9:05 PM
Freefall, welcome to Roadfood!

I am not a Biggest Looser fan but... that banana thing does sound good. maybe you should start a thread about the show in the Msc section?

Eating healthy on the road... make sure it's still warm, and there are NO buzzards around! :~)
Joe
<message edited by PapaJoe8 on Thu, 01/15/09 10:48 AM>

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6222
Re:Eating Healthy while on the road... - Mon, 01/12/09 10:22 PM
freefall, You are only two slices of white bread and bacon away from the unhealthiest of food - the Elvis Sandwich. It does sound good and worth a try as you describe it.

I try to stay away from reality TV so don't watch the Biggest Loser.

Welcome to the forums.

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4530
Re:Eating Healthy while on the road... - Tue, 01/13/09 8:02 AM
I usually stay at Courtyards or Fairfield Inns ... there is almost no difference between the newer issued Fairfield Inns and Courtyards, so I like to stay at the FI where Ienjoy the make it yourself waffle.  I eat that with a touch of butter and that is enough to hold me for quite a while.

Beyond that, I never eat for the sake of eating.  If there are no good choices, I'll grab a protien bar and a bottle of water and wait for something appealing.

freefall, welcome to RF ... Do you eat brown M&Ms ?

Run2Eat
  • Total Posts : 91
Re:Eating Healthy while on the road... - Tue, 01/13/09 8:42 AM
Welcome freefall !!!!  I'll certainly have to try that sometime, it sounds quite good... I love the Biggest Loser, my wife and I watch it every season.. I dropped 50 lbs and have kept it off for over a year now, I didn't do it as a result of watching the show but it keeps me motivated.  I wish I read your post last night, I would have skipped the 2 egg whites and 1 egg yolk this am for that banana split !

AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
Re:Eating Healthy while on the road... - Tue, 01/13/09 1:21 PM
Hi freefall --- I haven't watched the Biggest Loser but when I'm on the road (not for vacation) I pack a cooler of low carb items and have things like almonds, celery, and cheese on hand and drinks like Powerade Zero.  I also like pickled eggs, though I know many hate them.  It all depends on your eating style.

Andrea

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
Re:Eating Healthy while on the road... - Tue, 01/13/09 6:25 PM
I used to do a lot of business travel and, yes, breakfast is a problem.

I think: protein, fruit, small carb, portion control.

Ideas: 
Plain yogurt,one pancake, a bit of jam! (a crepe!!)
Egg white omelet w/veggies
Dry cereal (1 box isusually 100 cal or so), skim milk, fruit -or-dry cereal plus palin yogurt plus a few berries.

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
Re:Eating Healthy while on the road... - Tue, 01/13/09 6:27 PM
Oh, forgive me, I did not mean palin yogurt, I meant plain.
This is not a political site.

stevep
  • Total Posts : 57
Re:Eating Healthy while on the road... - Wed, 01/14/09 10:05 AM
I usually go for 2 or 3 hard boiled eggs without the yolks and a couple pieces of dry wheat toast. Enough protein and fiber to make it into the afternoon.

Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
Re:Eating Healthy while on the road... - Wed, 01/14/09 11:44 AM
NYNM

Oh, forgive me, I did not mean palin yogurt, I meant plain.
This is not a political site.

Thank God! 
If this site was frequented by political pundints, I would probably go nook-u-ler!

dexmat
  • Total Posts : 113
Re:Eating Healthy while on the road... - Wed, 01/14/09 12:32 PM
Grocery stores are good when you're on the road and tired of the usual options whether you're trying to lose weight or not.  I would just get fruit, juice, yogurt.  Sometimes salad bars start going out by about 8am and everything's good and fresh.  I'm on the road early every morning and I've found the breakfasts at Whole Foods to be good, if I'm going to be near one.  The breakfast burrito/taco (can't remember what they call it) is made from some healthful version of a tortilla with a rasher of good bacon, potatoes and scrambled eggs made with their organic eggs.  Normally supermarket eggs are so tasteless I'd want cheese on there too but the WF eggs are so flavorful I can forgo the cheese and save some calories and $.  The breakfast burritos/tacos are about the only ready-to-eat food from WF I like at breakfast or for any other meal but I have tried their migas and their egg/spinach breakfast casserole but it's probably not low-cal!

I haven't watched Biggest Loser but good luck to you (and all show participants).  I lost 100 #s in a year and a half by counting calories and completely changed my attitude toward eating.  I found it's better to have a hearty breakfast to start the day rather than saving up for a big meal in the evening.  It helps control the urge to snack during the day.

Lazybumranch
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:Eating Healthy while on the road... - Sat, 04/4/09 10:26 AM
Davydd

freefall, You are only two slices of white bread and bacon away from the unhealthiest of food - the Elvis Sandwich. It does sound good and worth a try as you describe it.

That is too funny, and TRUE! which is why it is so funny!

I will try that banana breakfast. Easy and sounds tasty!

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Eating Healthy while on the road... - Sat, 04/4/09 11:51 AM
So, when one is on the road, you recommend not eating in restaurants?

That certainly brings a new perspective to Roadfood.com.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7382
Re:Eating Healthy while on the road... - Sat, 04/4/09 12:11 PM
MiamiDon

So, when one is on the road, you recommend not eating in restaurants?

That certainly brings a new perspective to Roadfood.com.

Just another troll, Don, just another troll.................

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Eating Healthy while on the road... - Sat, 04/4/09 12:19 PM
Good observation, WJ.

dinska
  • Total Posts : 22
Re:Eating Healthy while on the road... - Sat, 04/4/09 5:43 PM
I think it's all about where freefall is posting from. *Points to location.* *Ponders.*