Hot!Visiting Main Street Ohio

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 9
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10515
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/19 16:02:03 (permalink)
NYPizzaNut-
I hate to tell you this, but I don't cook at all.  I can tell you that my favorite German potato salad (other than my grandmother's) is at Tony Packo's in Toledo.  I always get a double order!  It is very vinegary.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/19 16:11:08 (permalink)
Cliff--nice to see your legs were holding up in that cold in the lederhosen. :)

Since you're a bologna lover I will pass on my boss' favorite snack--a thin slice of Lebanon bologna wrapped around an Oreo.  I haven't gotten to try this treat yet but it sounds so curious I might have to do so one day. 

The story about your mom is a hoot!
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/19 16:15:20 (permalink)
buffetbuster

NYPizzaNut-
I hate to tell you this, but I don't cook at all.  I can tell you that my favorite German potato salad (other than my grandmother's) is at Tony Packo's in Toledo.  I always get a double order!  It is very vinegary.

You sound like you are single!  No wife to make your favorite foods?

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/19 16:16:35 (permalink)
Nancypalooza

Cliff--nice to see your legs were holding up in that cold in the lederhosen. :)

Since you're a bologna lover I will pass on my boss' favorite snack--a thin slice of Lebanon bologna wrapped around an Oreo.  I haven't gotten to try this treat yet but it sounds so curious I might have to do so one day. 

The story about your mom is a hoot!

This reminds me a bit of Elvis' favorite treat.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/20 07:49:54 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

buffetbuster

NYPizzaNut-

You sound like you are single!  No wife to make your favorite foods?
My girlfriend is Philippino.  She would probably try to put mango in the German potato salad.  Wait a second.....  That doesn't sound half bad!

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6361
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/20 08:37:45 (permalink)
Hey.Buffetbuster....a great restaurant in Smithville, NJ is the Smithville Inn...from the 1800's...and guess what? It was a stagecoach stop in its beginning...Small World!!!!!!!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/20 08:45:24 (permalink)
leethebard-
I never knew that until recently.  I used the search here on Roadfood for Smithville Inn and all the responses came up in New Jersey.  Any chance their specialty is chicken dinners, too?
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5230
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/20 10:31:06 (permalink)
buffetbuster

I did look at the menu, which was typical Midwest comfort food, but I did settle on the family style chicken dinner.

* $9.99 unless you're from Pittsburgh, in which case we have to charge $25 just to break even.

Brad
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18940
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/20 12:38:39 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Saturday January 19 cont.

Next stop was the town of Bucyrus (pronounced BOO-SIGH-RUSS), Ohio.

Actually, it's pronounced byoo-SIGH-russ.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/20 13:19:33 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman-
You are right.....thanks for the correction.  My original guess was that it was pronounced with a hard C. 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/20 13:46:22 (permalink)
Nancypalooza

Only a twisted mind could come up with something like that!  Let me know when you try it.  And if you survive, maybe I will too.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/20 14:06:26 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Michael Hoffman-
You are right.....thanks for the correction.  My original guess was that it was pronounced with a hard C. 

I'm in Bucyrus fairly often. I hunt around there, and I buy my brats there. And I almost always make it to the bratwurst festival each summer.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/20 14:37:11 (permalink)
Saturday January 17, 2009 cont.

Hoping to give my favorite football team, the Steelers, good luck in the big game the next day, I stopped in at tiny Tiffin University.  Steeler wide receiver Nate Washington played here and is the only player from Tiffin in the NFL.  I bought a sweatshirt, some pens and a notebook.

While driving through Tiffin, Ohio, a car coming towards me slid out of control, grazed a light pole and came to rest in a snow bank.  I parked on a side street and ran over to check on the driver, who was obviously a student at the school.  Although she was visibly shaking and upset and told me this was her first accident, she was fine.  A police car came by and I asked the officer if he wanted me to stick around in case we were going to try and push the car out.  He said he was going to call a tow truck, so I went on my way.  I don't know how fast the young lady was going, but it was WAY too fast for the conditions.  I'm just glad she didn't get hurt.

Continuing further west, I arrived in Findlay, Ohio.  My eating destination was Wilson's Sandwich Shop.

Wilson's appears in the wonderful Hamburger America book.

When I first walked into Wilson's, the first order of business was to use the men's room.  There was the ladies' room, but where was the men's?  I asked and it was outside, around the corner.  Since I had just parked a few feet from the front door, I didn't bother wearing my coat.  I can't begin to tell you how cold it was in that tiny bathroom.  On top of that, both the soap and the water were frozen.  Needless to say, there was no way I was going to eat without washing my hands first, so I went into the ladies' room to wash them.

The menu board hangs behind the counter, so as soon as I walked up to take a look, the elderly lady wanted to take my order.  When I told her I had never been here before and would need a minute, she asked where I was from.  This just may be the only town in Ohio, where someone from Pittsburgh is embraced, since this is the hometown of Ben Roethlisberger.  She was very talkative and told me all the sights in town I needed to check out.  I told her I was there because of their appearance in the hamburger book.  A younger woman standing there asked "What book".  When we explained, she said, "A book about hamburgers?  That's stupid!"  When I asked her why is was stupid, she replied, "It just is" and walked away.  Nice chatting with you, too!

The older woman made some recommendations and here is what I got.  The french fries

tasted very fresh, perfectly salted and were very enjoyable.  They grind their own beef here everyday for the burgers

and you could tell.  The patties here are square and the lady at the counter told me the locals prefer their burgers with pickle, onion and mustard.  A fine burger.  The only complaint was that it could have been warmer.  They get bonus points here, since the burger gets wrapped in wax paper with these sayings and info on it.

Notice how they call them hamburgs, instead of hamburgers?

To drink, a chocolate malt.

It was so thick, I gave it the Ted Drewes test and turned it upside down.  It never budged.

Wilson's is a very popular place

and has been feeding the locals here in Findlay since 1936.

Wilson's Sandwich Shop
600 S. Main Street
Findlay, Ohio
419-422-5051

As my zigzagging through northern Ohio continued, I got on I-75 and headed south.

More to come.....
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/20 15:26:30 (permalink)
That looks like a perfect burger and malt!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/20 16:19:51 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

buffetbuster

Michael Hoffman-

I'm in Bucyrus fairly often. I hunt around there, and I buy my brats there. And I almost always make it to the bratwurst festival each summer.
It sounds like you know the area very well.  Do you have a favorite place for brats in Bucyrus?

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6361
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/20 23:55:42 (permalink)
Buffetbuster, It's been years since I was there,but I believe they were more a rather fancy ppace,speciali9zing in American cuisine...so I'd bet some sort of chicken is on the menu...Maybe Ellen in AC knows...that's more her territory!!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3766
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/21 09:28:11 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Saturday January 17, 2009 cont.
While driving through Tiffin, Ohio, a car coming towards me slid out of control, grazed a light pole and came to rest in a snow bank.  I parked on a side street and ran over to check on the driver, who was obviously a student at the school.  Although she was visibly shaking and upset and told me this was her first accident, she was fine. 

I told her I was there because of their appearance in the hamburger book.  A younger woman standing there asked "What book".  When we explained, she said, "A book about hamburgers?  That's stupid!"  When I asked her why is was stupid, she replied, "It just is" and walked away.  Nice chatting with you, too!

Two things....

(1) Not that we don't take your word that the co-ed in question was, in fact, "fine," photos would surely help prove your case. 

(2) As for the "younger woman" - I thought *I* was the only one who met those people on the road.  I think she must have worked at Buz and Ned's BBQ in Richmond last year and moved to Ohio.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/21 09:58:04 (permalink)
TTM-
In reply.....

1) Tempting, but I thought it would be inappropriate to take a photo of the accident and the driver.  Not that it stopped me in Mississippi.

2) With an attitude like that, she will undoubtedly go far in life!  At least I didn't get yelled at for taking a photo.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/01/21 14:49:20
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/21 11:53:57 (permalink)
Your elderly waitress at Wilson's Sandwich Shop may have thought a book about hamburgers was stupid, but she apparently doesn't understand us roadfooders at all.  Most likely she thinks of food as something that you begrudgingly eat, not something to be enjoyed.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/21 12:49:57 (permalink)
Actually Louis, the very cool elderly woman was enthusiastic about the hamburger book and she would make a great Roadfooder.  It was the younger one who thought the idea was stupid.  From my short conversation with her, I noticed something else that she apparently thought was stupid.....  going to the dentist!" />
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/21 13:19:58 (permalink)

It sounds like you know the area very well.  Do you have a favorite place for brats in Bucyrus?

Except for during the Bratwurst festival I never eat brats in Bucyrus. I do buy my bratwurst at Carle's though.

Oh, and I used to stop for a biscuit at Hardees on the way up to Lake Erie to fish.

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/21 15:50:41 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman, I saw on another thread that you used to be a sportscaster on WSAZ-TV in Huntington WV. Every time I spend the night in Huntington ( at least once a year ), I keep my TV on WSAZ as NBC is my favorite network. It's possible that I've seen you on the air at some point; can you tell me what years and days of the week you were on?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/21 16:01:59 (permalink)
Saturday January 17, 2009 cont.

Next stop was another place that appears in the Hamburger America book, Kewpee in Lima, Ohio.   Having eaten at Kewpees in Racine, WI and Lansing, MI, I was curious about this place.   Also, about five years ago, I was dating a doctor and she had to go to Lima to give a presentation. After asking me for a restaurant recommendation, she came back with a very good report about Kewpee.

Located right in the middle of downtown Lima (there are three Kewpees in Lima, I went to the one on North Elizabeth Street) it is easy to spot with the unusual storefront and sign.

Walking in, the first order of business again was paying a call to the men's room.  And once again, there was the ladies' room and no men's room.  I asked and it was around back.  Are you kidding me?  At least I wore my coat this time.  All I had to do was get past the dumpster and there it was.

Doesn't that look inviting?  Two straight places where the men's room is outside on one of the coldest days of the year.  Okay, okay, nobody cares about my bathroom exploits.....  I'll get back on track.

This Kewpee is much smaller than Wilson's Sandwich Shop or the other Kewpees I have visited.  The inside is very streamlined with some art deco touches.

Maybe this is being boring, but I decided to get the exact same thing as I did at Wilson's, for comparisons sake.  The fries came in a cool little holder, with the classic house slogan on it,

(If there is a better Roadfood motto than "Hamburg pickle on top, makes your heart go flippety flop", I haven't seen it!)
but the fries themselves tasted old, like they had been sitting around all day.  I could not tell any difference between the chocolate malts.  This one was also ultra-thick and gets bonus points for the old fashioned glass.

Picking up the burger, I was immediately struck by how heavier it was than Wilson's.  This was a substantial burger,

even though it was also a single, with cheese, pickle, onion and mustard.  And again like Wilson's, the burger patty is square.

If this looks vaguely familiar to you, it is rumored that Dave Thomas modeled his Wendy's burgers after the nearby Kewpee he enjoyed, while growing up in Kalamazoo, MI.  The burger itself did not have as good a beefy flavor as Wilson's, but was still a quality burger.  Interestingly, the burger could have been warmer.  What is it with these places serving lukewarm burgers?  I did like the wax paper it is wrapped in even better here.

Kewpee
111 North Elizabeth Street
Lima, Ohio
419-228-1778

I got back on I-75 and continued south.

More to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/01/21 16:03:11
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/21 16:17:26 (permalink)
I care Cliff.  I would be raising cane if I had to go out back and freeze my butt off to pee.

That place is adorable.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/21 21:06:57 (permalink)
Nancy-
Thanks for caring!  I would have appreciated the adorable factor more, if my tookus was frostbitten.  I guess this makes up for all the times I have been at ballgames or concerts and seen the lines to the ladies room is out the door and I am in and out in thirty seconds.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/21 21:38:23 (permalink)
buffetbuster, you are not going to believe this ( I know I don't ), but you and I both ate at the downtown Lima Kewpee's on the same day, Saturday the 17th! What are the odds??? Where you there for lunch or dinner? I was there about 4:30PM eastern time. Any chance that we "collided" with each other? This is just too, too weird.                                                                     Bob 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/21 21:42:04 (permalink)
nocarolina-
Are you serious?  How strange is that?  If only I had known, I would have been happy to have met you there.  I am guessing my meal was around 2:00PM. 

What did you order?  What did you think of the place?
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/21 21:49:01 (permalink)
I believe this place was listed in the "Hamburger Heaven" book several years back as one of the must-eat restaurants for hamburgers.  Glad you got to make it.

Sorry about my confusion of the waitresses earlier.  I'm sure the people at Kewpee had better teeth (and undoubtedly better breath, too.)

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/21 22:05:37 (permalink)
Yes, BB, I am VERY serious. This is just too much! Sure wish I had known you were going to be there; I would have left Illinois about three hours earlier ( it was a one-day road trip. ) When I saw the date of your visit, I just about fell out of my chair, laughing my a** off ( I amuse easily. ) I had a double hamburger, fries and a chocolate shake. Everything I had was pretty good, although I don't think it quite lived up to it's reputation. I would recommend it, though. That 1930s art-deco builing is a real beauty; it was my favorite part of the visit. BTW, I stopped for lunch on the way at Nick's Grill in Huntington IN. Other than a mediocre example at Culver's, this was my first breaded pork tenderloin and I was really impressed. That sucker was huge! Very tasty, too. A very interesting way to spend a Saturday. Still can't believe this happened......                                                       Bob 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2009/01/22 08:00:01 (permalink)
nocarolina-
Just a strange coincidence.  It would have been very cool to have met you there.  I agree that the building was the best part.

You say you stopped at Nick's Grill in Huntington, IN.  Could you possibly mean either Nick's Kitchen or Nick's Country Cafe?  Both of them are in Huntington and reviewed here on Roadfood.  If you do mean Nick's Kitchen, I agree that it is the best BPT I have ever had.  Excellent pie!  The owner, Jean Anne, posts here on the forums, too. 
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 9
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1