Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in)

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 61 to 120 of 266
BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4074
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Wed, 03/11/09 1:52 PM
April 18th or 19th looks good to me.  We'll pick the day based on where we choose to eat.  Both days will have their pluses and minuses.  Hot Doug's is not open on Sundays.  It will be next to impossible to get a group our size into Burt's on a Saturday.  As we do our research on the potential stops, I'm sure we'll find other issues that will determine whether we do this on a Saturday or a Sunday.

Also, April 17th is abe froeman's birthday.  I'm sure she and Mr. Maki will be joining us on this trip.  Maybe we can work a little birthday celebration into the mix as wander the city.

All in favor of one of the days on the weekend of April 18/19 say "Aye!"

Buddy

carolina bob
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Wed, 03/11/09 4:57 PM
That weekend works. Aye!

JRPfeff
  • Total Posts : 2368
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Wed, 03/11/09 8:46 PM
Here's a vote for Sunday the 19th with a grand finale at Burt's.  Someone else very important has their birthday on the 24th, so we may even get a special cake (if we can sneak it by the management at Burt's).

I think we are also stopping somewhere for potstickers. Are there any other must stops?

pcdiva
  • Total Posts : 591
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Sat, 03/14/09 12:07 PM
If I can get an early flight in on Saturday April 18th can I bum couch space????  Let me know privately.
 It will have to be a quick trip for me.  In Sat AM out Sun night or early Monday. 

Thanks,
Alice

irisarbor
  • Total Posts : 602
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Sat, 03/14/09 1:27 PM
I'd be more towards the saturday-hot dougs side , but I'll be happy to go either way...
it's a good weekend for me.

stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Sat, 03/14/09 10:25 PM
Works for me. :)

pcdiva
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Mon, 03/16/09 3:06 AM
I have had a very gracious invitation so now I'm just waiting to find the best air fare.  Overtime here I come!  I can hardly wait to see all my Chicago and Milwaukee area friends again.  Over 2 years is just too darn long!!!!

irisarbor
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Mon, 03/23/09 7:22 PM
Hey Buddy,
you the papa and the ringleader, pick a day!
I need to RSVP or reschedule for something for that weekend depending,
let's get firmed up ... uh wait... did I say that?

stricken_detective
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Tue, 03/24/09 5:41 PM
lol, iris I like the way you think! :)

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3090
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Tue, 03/24/09 7:36 PM
irisarbor

......let's get firmed up ...

Hey, what are you trying to say?

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Tue, 03/24/09 8:43 PM
She's obviously wanting to start up an intense work out regimen so we'll all be "firm" and in fighting shape for The Spring Fling.

Decisions coming soon.  Sorry for the delay.

Buddy

X1
  • Total Posts : 937
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Tue, 03/24/09 9:59 PM
Sunday the 19th is Greek Easter, but I think I'd still be able to make it anyway. Sat the 18th works, too.

quijote
  • Total Posts : 643
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Thu, 03/26/09 9:06 PM
This sounds like fun and good eatin'. If I'm able to make it to Chicago on the 18th I hope you don't mind if I trail along. I've been to Hot Doug's and adore it, and wouldn't mind a repeat performance of duck fat fries. The only other restaurant on the list I've been to is Zaiqa, and I'm always up for samosas and vindaloo. The rest of the places on the list are new to me, so I'll be happy to try 'em out.

pcdiva
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Tue, 03/31/09 1:57 AM
Well, has a final decision been made so I can buy my plane ticket????

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Tue, 03/31/09 2:37 PM
Alice, I think the group has agreed on the weekend of April 18-19.  The specific day is still up in the air due to the various pluses and minuses each day carries with it.  For instance, if we went on Saturday, we could visit Hot Doug's for their gourmet "encased meats" (sausages) and duck fat fries (served Friday and Saturday only).  On the other hand, a Saturday would almost surely eliminate a visit to Burt's for deep dish pizza (they are so busy on Saturdays that they probably could not accommodate a group our size).

Conversely, Sunday would give us a better shot at Burt's, but Hot Doug's is closed completely.  There are other similar considerations involving other places on the list.  It has been my intention to create a post on this thread with links to reviews, menus, and other information for each of the restaurants in my initial post.  These links could then be studied and considered by the folks who will be making the trip.  Unfortunately, time has not been my friend lately, and I have not been able to focus on that lengthy undertaking.  I guess with just over two weeks to go, I ought to put that together and make some final decisions.

I guess let's start with the big question to all, what's more important to you-a Saturday with Doug's and without Burt's or a Sunday with a vice versa itinerary?

Buddy

artnafke
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Tue, 03/31/09 3:18 PM
Dude so many Southside eats I love it......as for starting out at Hot Doug's 10 am Friday or Saturday to get those ducky fries I will be in heaven!!!! I love your selections as I am a Northsider and don't want anyone knowing about our secret places.....like.Patty's diner in Skokie.......how about Wolskis in Milwaukee when we make a trip up to cheese country.....
I am new to your gang and would love to join you...will be able to go after Jazzfest...will have to practice eating when I am New Orleans. May is a good time as the weather will more or less cooperate and we will have light till 8. Anytime buddy...I am there.....

artnafke
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Tue, 03/31/09 3:21 PM
just found out that there are three pages to these replies....the dates are fine as long as I am not at 1060 West Addison.......bring on those fries!!!!!

carolina bob
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Tue, 03/31/09 4:32 PM
Buddy, either one of those days is fine with me. I'm a go-along-with-the-crowd type, so I'll be happy with whichever you choose. Just feed me good, that's all I ask.

mousec
  • Total Posts : 298
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Wed, 04/1/09 6:43 PM
I just came across this review on Ed's Potsticker House. I have never been but reading posts from other sites had led me to beleive that potstickers may not be the way to go.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/03/eds-potsticker-house-chinese-recommendations-chicago-illinois.html

X1
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Thu, 04/2/09 9:01 AM
I'm just going to go ahead and suggest Saturday - not because of the fries, but because it's a non-work day the next day (for a lot of us).

I'd love to go to Burt's, but that'll be another, separate trip sometime this summer, I think. I'm hoping Buddy can get off work for Saturday, or at least join us for most of the trip before leaving early.

The only place I'd really like to go is Calumet, and only if the weather is good - I'm not keen on freezing or being rained on outside while trying to eat off the trunk of Buddy's car.

ChuckL will not be able to join us that weekend at all - ironically, he'll be in Chicago all weekend, but working furiously to have a project completed by Monday. There is a possibility he might sneak away and join at one place for lunch or dinner, depending on schedule and accessibility.

stricken_detective
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Thu, 04/2/09 1:24 PM
I have to agree. The other places look great, but Calumet is really the one I wanted to go to.

abe_froeman
  • Total Posts : 694
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Thu, 04/2/09 2:25 PM
okay, caught up!  The 18th should work for Mr. Maki and me.  I'll try to be coherent.  It will be my last birthday before the big downhill. :P

And we're cool with wherever everyone wants to go.
<message edited by abe_froeman on Thu, 04/2/09 2:26 PM>

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Thu, 04/2/09 2:29 PM
So, are we trending toward Saturday the 18th of April?  Let's hear from other interested parties...MFL, irisarbor, JRPfeff, anyone else who is interested in playing along and has not yet responded...

Buddy

irisarbor
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Thu, 04/2/09 2:45 PM
Saturday is fine for me- duck fat fries- YUM- I'm 'shamed to say I've never been....don't know about the Hubby, but I've been keeping the day free- so the twins (I think) and and for sure I am in!

abe_froeman
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Thu, 04/2/09 8:37 PM
I just skimmed the details of where people are thinking of going, so maybe this point has already been made- if we do Hot Doug's, it will have to be our first stop.  They open at 10:30am and I've heard of the duck fat fries selling out by 12:30.  We should probably be in line by 11am, especially if the weather's nice.

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Thu, 04/2/09 9:21 PM
I agree it should be our first stop, but I think we would do well to get there even earlier, perhaps before they actually open.  I hear tell of lines around the block by the time they open the doors at 10:30...

Buddy

P.S. After Hot Doug's we can make a quick run to a secure parking lot I know in the neighborhood.  If you'd like, we can consolidate cars there and feel safe that the remaining vehicles can sit there all day for free with out any danger of vandalism or theft.  Because the lot is on the north side of town and most of the rest of our stops will be south, the Wisconsin folks can easily pick up their cars at the end of the day as they head home.

B.
<message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Thu, 04/2/09 9:32 PM>

MilwFoodlovers
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Thu, 04/2/09 9:37 PM
My ideal Chicago visit would be Hot Dougs, Ba Le and Freddy's in Cicero. I'll be satisfied with Hot Doug's and will leave the other choices to our tour director. Saturday gets my vote.

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Thu, 04/2/09 11:41 PM
Well, I was really hoping to get more feedback from the group as to which places we should visit.  But as it seems I'm quickly being identified as "The Ring Leader", I guess I 'll need to at least start steering the direction we go with our choices.

Sounds like Hot Doug's is a given as our first pick.  After that, in no particular order, my choices would be Lem's for Barbecue, Calumet Fisheries for smoked fish (especially the smoked shrimp!), one of the Soul Food places (we can pick the specific one as we get closer to the date), Borinquen for Jibarito sandwiches, and finally, either Ed's Posticker House (although, according to the article linked by mousec, the potstickers are not the thing to get at Ed's Posticker House, go figure), or Szala's for Polish.

Burt's would be a long shot on a Saturday night.  There's no way they could accomodate us inside and we would only be able to use the beer garden if the weather was ideal.

Anyway, that's my preliminary list.  Let's hear your thoughts on the picks.  I'll start organizing a route, and we can all pray for good weather on April 18th.

Buddy
<message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Thu, 04/2/09 11:46 PM>

pcdiva
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Fri, 04/3/09 4:25 AM
Hi Buddy It sounds like a plan to me.  I'll book an EARLY flight for Saturday.  Since I've eaten great meals with you and your dad, and know nothing about where any of the restaurants are located I will let you be the judge of where we can feasibly go in one day.  That said, maybe I can book a late flight out on Sunday and meet up with you and some of the others for more adventures in Roadfooding before I have to head south again.

Alice

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Fri, 04/3/09 12:24 PM
So, if we're settled on a day, and more or less settled on an itinerary, it's time for some commitments, people.  Who's in and who's out?  Let's hear from you folks.

Buddy

stricken_detective
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Fri, 04/3/09 3:49 PM
I'm in--can we carpool from Milwaukee? (You don't want me to drive unless everyone wants to learn to cuss in Italian.) I will gladly pitch in for gas.

JRPfeff
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Sat, 04/4/09 7:56 AM
We are all in for the 18th.  We should have room for one rider from The Spring City.

irisarbor
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Sat, 04/4/09 8:36 AM
You know I'm in in regardless, and after duck fries, I vote for the smoked shrimp and Jibaritos since we missed those on the last go round.
Maybe the weather will cooperate for Burts, if not a few of us could always go Sun w PCDiva before she flies home...does Burt do lunch Sun?

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Sat, 04/4/09 1:57 PM
Actually, if enough people would commit, Burt would do an early opening/private gathering for us on Sunday.  It would mean the Milwaukee folks would have to come down two days in a row, or we'd need enough of the Illinois people to show up, maybe even some who didn't make the tour on Saturday.  If you're serious about this, we might be able to pull in some LTHers to supplement our regular group.  I'm thinking 15-20 would be the minimum, but I'll double check and let you know.

Buddy

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3218
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Sun, 04/5/09 10:06 PM
FYI: I'm at Hot Doug's on a weekly basis with Hot Dog U students. If you're not in line by 10:00am on Saturday morning, you're in for a long, and I do mean long wait.

CSD PhD Professor of Hot Dogs

stricken_detective
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Sun, 04/5/09 10:30 PM
Does this mean we'll see you there?

(Jim, I'll PM you my cell#)

MilwFoodlovers
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Sun, 04/5/09 10:52 PM
Guess I'll have to stop at Kaufmann's in Skokie for a bagel to nosh on while I'm in line.
Btw, Mrs MFL said she wouldn't be going.

MilwFoodlovers
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Sun, 04/5/09 11:03 PM
Burts on Sunday is not an option for us. I'd be willing to pay for a cold slice on Saturday morning if one appeared.

chicagostyledog
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Mon, 04/6/09 12:01 AM
stricken_detective

Does this mean we'll see you there?

Only in spirit, especially if you wash down your duck fries and dogs with my favorite drink-Green River.

Mark

abe_froeman
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Mon, 04/6/09 1:36 PM
MilwFoodlovers

Guess I'll have to stop at Kaufmann's in Skokie for a bagel to nosh on while I'm in line.

Ooo, wanna get one for me?  Onion with chive cream cheese?

MilwFoodlovers
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Mon, 04/6/09 4:20 PM
abe_froeman

MilwFoodlovers

No problem Abe.
Stricken, I've room if you need a ride.

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Mon, 04/6/09 4:56 PM
I would suggest picking up a couple dozen for the group and then we would pay you for them when we all gather at Hot Doug's.  Of course I've got a pretty good idea of how much we're going to eat that day, without the bagels, so maybe not...

Buddy

quijote
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Mon, 04/6/09 8:19 PM
Just thought I'd confirm that I'm joining up with youze on Saturday; I'll be heading down there with the Mke contingent. Looking forward to it.

stricken_detective
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Tue, 04/7/09 12:41 AM
MilwFoodlovers

abe_froeman

MilwFoodlovers

No problem Abe.
Stricken, I've room if you need a ride.

MFL, thank you for the offer. The JRPfeff contingent & I do not live very far from each other, so that works out nice.

Now if I could figure out a place that has Green River in 20 oz bottles I'd be all set. I know Woodman's has the 2 liters but that's kinda bulky.

chicagostyledog
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Wed, 04/8/09 12:05 AM
SD,

Hot Doug's sells Green River in the small bottles. So does Burt's Deli in Libertyville. It's also available in the vending machines in the Vienna Beef Factory Deli & Cafe' store.

CSD PhD Professor of Hot Dogs

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4726
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Wed, 04/8/09 10:04 AM
Just an FYI in case it affects routes, locations and times:

The Cubs are hosting the Cardinals at 2:40pm on April 18 (Sox are on the road).

Mrs. O and myself are interested but won't know for sure if we can make it until next week.

Brad

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Wed, 04/8/09 1:05 PM
Except for our initial stop at Hot Doug's, we will be well away from Wrigleyville, the hapless Cubs, and their plethora of fans who haven't yet figured out how to take public transportation that will drop them off, literally, right outside the back door of Wrigley Field.

We should be standing in line at Doug's no later than 10am; they open at 10:30, and we should be on our way by noon or earlier.  Our second stop will be Borinquen in Humblodt Park, due south and a world away from the blue hatted ones.

After that, the neighborhoods we'll be in will be closer to White Sox territory.  The Sox are on the road that day, playing in Tampa Bay.

I'll post a full schedule here shortly.

Buddy

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Wed, 04/8/09 9:53 PM
So, here's the first draft of the list, roughly in the order we'd be visiting each place:

Hot Doug’s-Hot Dogs and Specialty Encased Meats, Inexpensive
3324 North California Avenue
Chicago
(773) 279-9550

Borinquen Restaurant-Puerto Rican, Jibarito Sandwiches, Inexpensive
1720 North California Avenue
Chicago
(773) 227-6038

Lem’s Bar-B-Q-Barbecue, Inexpensive
311 East 75th Street
Chicago
(773) 994-2428

Calumet Fisheries-Fried and Smoked Fish and Seafood, Inexpensive
3259 East 95th Street
Chicago
(773) 933-9855

The following are the remaining places that we have to choose from.  I've taken the liberty of removing some names of places that are either closed for remodeling (Dodo), out of business (Helen's Soul Food), or just not worth making the visit when compared to other choices on the list (Hecky's doesn't even come close to the 'Que at Lem's, and we really don't need two Barbecue joints on one trip-I can't believe I just wrote that...)

All the others are worth considering and I welcome your input.  We've got three different Soul Food places, two Mexican, one chili/ice cream parlor, one pizza, one Chinese, one Polish and an Indian/southeast Asian place to choose from:

Army & Lou’s-Soul Food, Inexpensive
422 East 75th Street
Chicago
(773) 483-3100

Burt’s Place-Pizza in the Pan, Inexpensive
8541 Ferris Avenue
Morton Grove
(847) 965-7997

Carnitas La Michoacana-Carnitas (Roast Whole Hog), Inexpensive
2049 W. Cermak Road
Chicago
(773) 254-2970

Ed’s Potsticker House-Chinese, Inexpensive
3139 South Halsted Street
Chicago
(312) 326-6898

Gorditas Aguascalientes-Mexican (Gorditas a specialty), Inexpensive
3132 W. 26th Street
Chicago
(773) 254-3466

Izola’s-Soul Food, Inexpensive
522 East 79th Street
Chicago
(773) 846-1484

Lindy’s Chili & Gertie’s Ice Cream-Chili, Burgers, Ice Cream, , Inexpensive
3685 South Archer Avenue
Chicago
(773) 927-7807

Soul Queen-Soul Food, Inexpensive
9031 South Stony Island Avenue
Chicago
(773) 731-3366

Szalas Restaurant-Polish, Moderate
5214 South Archer Avenue
Chicago
(773) 582-0300

Zaiqa Restaurant-Southeast Asian, Indian, Inexpensive
858 North Orleans Street
Chicago
(312) 280-6807

So, how shall we fill those last two slots?  And no, driving back north for Kopp's is NOT an option!  Keep in mind that Burt's is probably not going to work out for us on a Saturday night.

Let the discussion begin!

Buddy
<message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Wed, 04/8/09 9:55 PM>

JRPfeff
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Wed, 04/8/09 9:59 PM
Ed's has to be on the list (I've heard good things about them).

MilwFoodlovers
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Wed, 04/8/09 10:09 PM
Ed's or any place with good parking options could be a deciding factor.

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Wed, 04/8/09 11:35 PM
I'd be happy with Ed's.  Plus I may have answered the question of the final stop with my little joke above about Kopp's--we need dessert in the mix and Gertie's is a Chicago classic.  Maybe not quite the same as frozen custard, but it's in the neighborhood.  Plus, if anybody is still hungry after all that, Gertie's is run in conjunction with Lindy's Chili.

So, our final stops will be (drum roll please) Ed's Potsticker House and Gertie's Ice Cream.  Any other thoughts?

Buddy

stricken_detective
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Thu, 04/9/09 12:34 AM
I was gonna vote for Zaiqa, Ed's & Gertie's.

(What's the flavor @ Kopp's that day?)

But considering the other stops, Zaiqa may be too much. Especially if I'm the only one who wants to go there.

carolina bob
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Thu, 04/9/09 2:08 AM
I just got home from N'awlins about an hour ago ( I took the loooonnnng way home! ) and just wanted to let y'all know that I'll be with you on the 18th.

quijote
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Thu, 04/9/09 8:59 AM
Sounds like an excellent itinerary. Thanks for putting it together. --Q

irisarbor
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Thu, 04/9/09 2:53 PM
It sounds excellent, and ed's and gerties sounds like plenty on top of what is already planned- it sounds plenty ambitious to me...

abe_froeman
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Sat, 04/11/09 12:39 PM
stricken_detective

I was gonna vote for Zaiqa, Ed's & Gertie's.

(What's the flavor @ Kopp's that day?)

But considering the other stops, Zaiqa may be too much. Especially if I'm the only one who wants to go there.

Turtle Sundae

Caramel flavored custard, loaded with pecans and swirls of caramel and fudge

Burgundy Cherry

A special cherry flavor with cherry halves makes this a very cherry custard

Hmm, that Burgundy Cherry is very tempting.  I was hoping maybe they open early (never too early for custard) and one of you Wisconsinites could grab some on the way, but, alas, they don't open until 10:30.

There is a feature on their website- don't know if they always had this- where you can pick out your favorite flavors and they'll email you an alert when it's coming up!

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Sun, 04/12/09 11:42 PM
With six days to go before the big event, here is the proposed final schedule, in the order we would visit each location.  I’ve included some links to various internet sites that might give you some advance insight into what each place holds in store:

Hot Doug’s-Hot Dogs and Specialty Encased Meats, Inexpensive
3324 North California Avenue
Chicago
(773) 279-9550
Hot Doug's website and menu

Borinquen Restaurant-Puerto Rican, Jibarito Sandwiches, Inexpensive
1720 North California Avenue
Chicago
(773) 227-6038
Borinquen's website and menu

Ed’s Potsticker House-Chinese, Inexpensive
3139 South Halsted Street
Chicago
(312) 326-6898
LTHForum discussion of Ed's
Ed's menu with pix!
An interesting article about Ed's

Lem’s Bar-B-Q-Barbecue, Inexpensive
311 East 75th Street
Chicago
(773) 994-2428
LTHForum discussion of Lem's with plenty of food porn!

Calumet Fisheries-Fried and Smoked Fish and Seafood, Inexpensive
3259 East 95th Street
Chicago
(773) 933-9855
Calumet Fisheries' menu
Lots of reviews

Lindy’s Chili & Gertie’s Ice Cream-Chili, Burgers, Ice Cream, , Inexpensive
3685 South Archer Avenue
Chicago
(773) 927-7807
Gertie's Ice Cream menu
A little background on who they are

I’ll spend the week contacting as many of these places as possible; letting them know we’ll be coming in with a big group, and asking are there any tips they can give us to make the experience any easier and more enjoyable for both us and them.

I’ll post again toward the end of the week with directions to our first stop, Hot Doug’s.  As has been discussed, we'll need to be in line at Doug's by 10:00am if we don't want to be waiting up to two hours to get in.  Just like the last tour, once we’re all together, I’ll hand out a list of all the places we’re going with detailed directions to each.

I’d like to get a firmish count of how many we’ll be.  So if all interested parties could give me one last confirmation with your own personal head count, that would be very helpful.

Hope you all had a good Easter and/or Passover as the case may be.  See you soon,

Buddy
<message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Sun, 04/12/09 11:46 PM>

carolina bob
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Mon, 04/13/09 12:01 AM
I'll be there!

stricken_detective
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Mon, 04/13/09 12:24 AM
Me!

X1
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) - Mon, 04/13/09 7:29 AM
I'll be there, if FL is still hauling my arse down there.

Hey, Buddy, just a thought....but if you're going to be contacting these places to "warn" them we're coming (excellent idea)....perhaps there's a way you can wheedle Hot Doug's into an early opening, reserved just for us, or a reserved place at the head of the line? Probably won't happen, but might be worth a try, especially if we're a big group. If my count is right, I think we're at least 15, if not 20+.
If it means we have to leave Milwaukee 15 minutes or 1/2 earlier, I really don't mind - it'd be worth it.

Sorry I missed you on Sun - see you Sat!

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 61 to 120 of 266