Best BBQ joint in Knoxville, Tn. ??????

Junior Burger
2009/01/20 10:15:24
I am interested in finding out whom the heavy weights are in the BBQ business in or around Knoxville, Tennessee. Any knowledgeable officianado Volunteers out there. Knoxville proper, within the city limits please. Mr. Smith, care to chime in sir? PM me if you prefer, please.
post edited by JoseyWales - 2009/01/20 10:20:39
pmrkr2
Cheeseburger
Re:Best BBQ joint in Knoxville, Tn. ?????? 2009/01/20 10:30:40
I'm not a Knoxvillian but I get down that way fairly often on my way to Nashville and I've been to and recommended this joint before but none of the natives seem to know it but here goes again... Leo's Pulled Pork, 312 W. Broadway, Lenoir City (just outside of Knoxville), 865-988-5151.  I've found it to be one of the better BBQ joints I've been to and the people there are real friendly to boot. Give it a try.
pjoe
Hamburger
Re:Best BBQ joint in Knoxville, Tn. ?????? 2009/01/20 11:45:48
M&M catering. I double dog dare you to find better q in Knoxville. The Smokehouse Subshop is pretty decent also but well off the beaten path.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Best BBQ joint in Knoxville, Tn. ?????? 2009/01/21 04:56:12
JoseyWales

I am interested in finding out whom the heavy weights are in the BBQ business in or around Knoxville, Tennessee. Any knowledgeable officianado Volunteers out there. Knoxville proper, within the city limits please. Mr. Smith, care to chime in sir? PM me if you prefer, please.

Pjoe is correct in stating that M&M is currently the best in Knoxville.  They have very good slaw also.  I have had their pulled pork and ribs.  The ribs were great and the pulled pork was so so.

Every other players in Knoxville come in at a distant 3rd.

In my opinion only, the key to good BBQ is very complex and very difficult for any vendor to get right is fresh hot BBQ.  Due to the difficulty of smoking, many if not most vendors smoke their BBQ in advance and reheat.  I personally can always tell when they do that and in my opinion again, the quality of the BBQ is greatly diminished.

I have had two visits to M&M in Knoxville and they have many smokers working which is very labor intensive.  I got there around noon and requested ribs right off the grill which I got and they were very good.  I also liked their sauce which was great for dipping. 

I do not care for reheated BBQ.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 
JoseyWales
Junior Burger
Re:Best BBQ joint in Knoxville, Tn. ?????? 2009/01/21 16:57:29
Nor do I Mr. Smith. Unfortunately we are required by law to keep the food at 140 dgrees or higher and that forces the restaurant to resort to a steam table, a steam proofing cabinet, or oven to maintain what is acceptable to the health department. Some folks try to extend the life of their product way to long in the interest of cutting down on waste product and then pawn it off on unsuspecting customers. I like you, know when this has been done. I used to donate my excess or waste to food banks while still fresh rather than pass along an inferior product. In reading a few of the JC, Tn. reviews, I can tell that it is still being done there. When the meat(s) lack that "spring" when bitten into and become little more than fibrous protien with sauce, it gives everyone a bad name.
Arcayne
Junior Burger
Re:Best BBQ joint in Knoxville, Tn. ?????? 2009/06/11 22:24:33
I'm mighty fond of Sonny's BBQ in Knoxville,TN. I'm finicky about sauce and they have the best sweet sauce:) Their sliced pork is fabulous, so much so that I never order the baby back ribs I've been dying to try. They even have a drive through, good thing my poor little car isn't up to highway driving or I'd be spending way too much there;)
Desolation Row
Junior Burger
Re:Best BBQ joint in Knoxville, Tn. ?????? 2009/06/22 23:10:29
pmrkr2

I'm not a Knoxvillian but I get down that way fairly often on my way to Nashville and I've been to and recommended this joint before but none of the natives seem to know it but here goes again... Leo's Pulled Pork, 312 W. Broadway, Lenoir City (just outside of Knoxville), 865-988-5151.  I've found it to be one of the better BBQ joints I've been to and the people there are real friendly to boot. Give it a try.

I think Leo's is good as well.  Although I would stick to the pulled pork there, I'm not crazy about their ribs.  I haven't tried M&M yet, although I hope to soon.  I also want to try the new Sweet P's BBQ in South Knoxville, which I have heard is pretty good.
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Best BBQ joint in Knoxville, Tn. ?????? 2010/02/22 10:24:40
Anybody tried the new BBQ joint on Sutherland Ave called Dead  End BBQ.  Looks like a new bldg.  I've not been there but hope to one of these days.