25 Jan 09 - Restaurant of the Day - Leo's - Cheese steak or Cheese paste?

Filet Mignon
2009/01/25 05:47:07
The photo of the sandwich from Leo's looks as though the "steak" has been worked so much on the grill that it has been reduced to a paste!

Is this a desirable thing in Philadelphia?  I see that Leo's has been rated "No. 1" by someone or something.

Here's a link to the review for when it scrolls off the home page: http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=6268

post edited by MiamiDon - 2010/06/11 15:37:04
John A
Filet Mignon
Re:25 Jan 09 - Restaurant of the Day - Leo's - Cheese steak or Cheese paste? 2009/01/25 05:50:25
Does not look very appetizing to me either Don.
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:25 Jan 09 - Restaurant of the Day - Leo's - Cheese steak or Cheese paste? 2009/01/25 06:28:49
I agree.  It looks like it been cooked to death and fell apart, which I don't like.......reckon it been held that long in a hot warmer or crockpot.  The meat looks to be dried out too.
John Fox
Re:25 Jan 09 - Restaurant of the Day - Leo's - Cheese steak or Cheese paste? 2009/01/25 06:59:51
It looks to me like a chili sandwich. I think I prefer the steak chopped rather than sliced, but not hacked to death.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:25 Jan 09 - Restaurant of the Day - Leo's - Cheese steak or Cheese paste? 2009/01/25 08:30:12
My daughter in law looked at it and said "That meat looks like it has been  chewed"

My ten year old granddaughter said  "Gross"

For once in my life, when I looked at it, I was speechelss!

I have eaten many cheesesteaks in Phildelphia and never have seen one that looks like this.
post edited by Greymo - 2009/01/25 08:31:46
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:25 Jan 09 - Restaurant of the Day - Leo's - Cheese steak or Cheese paste? 2009/01/25 09:25:05
I dug up wanderingjew's Philly cheese steak trip report, and discovered that he went to Leo's:

"Unfortunately bigger isn't always better and the meat which is basically hacked to death was somewhat bland, however this was definitely the largest cheesesteak of the trip- I had half of my sandwich and threw the rest out so I can enjoy my next stop."

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=389918&high=

This one that wj had at La Forno looks much better:

(The photo from his favorite at Lorenzo's is missing)
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:25 Jan 09 - Restaurant of the Day - Leo's - Cheese steak or Cheese paste? 2009/01/25 12:45:41
I found the picture a bit unappetizing-thought it was chopped liver spread on bread....
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:25 Jan 09 - Restaurant of the Day - Leo's - Cheese steak or Cheese paste? 2009/01/25 13:46:10
All I said was "That doesn't look right"
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
Re:25 Jan 09 - Restaurant of the Day - Leo's - Cheese steak or Cheese paste? 2009/01/25 14:04:04
Well, here at Famous Philly's in Port Orange and Palm Coast, Florida, they chop up the meat, onions, peppers, and mix in the cheese.  It comes out like a molten mixture, too.

I thought JohnA took pretty good pictures of it.  Could you call it a chopped up mess?  I guess..but it really tastes good.  Maybe Leo's also tastes better than it looks?

The photo of the sandwich from Leo's is one of the worst I've ever seen on this site.  I'm sure Leo's would not be happy with that photo.  Perhaps if it was a real close up shot, like John did, you could see all the ingredients and it would not look so disturbing.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:25 Jan 09 - Restaurant of the Day - Leo's - Cheese steak or Cheese paste? 2009/01/25 14:06:26
Baah Ben

Maybe Leo's also tastes better than it looks?

No it really doesn't. It wasn't a bad cheesesteak, I just thought it was a bland cheesesteak.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:25 Jan 09 - Restaurant of the Day - Leo's - Cheese steak or Cheese paste? 2009/01/25 15:52:45
By special request from Miami Don I have included the photo of the cheesteak from Lorenzo's.

CheeseWit
Re:25 Jan 09 - Restaurant of the Day - Leo's - Cheese steak or Cheese paste? 2009/01/25 16:35:11
I took WJ to Leo's that day and told him in advance that I didn't agree with those that rave about Leo's cheesesteaks.
I've had much better and just as large cheesesteaks in many other places. They are bland, chopped too much, and not worth the trip in my opinion (and wandering jew's).
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
Re:25 Jan 09 - Restaurant of the Day - Leo's - Cheese steak or Cheese paste? 2009/01/25 16:45:21
Ahh..We definitely do not have that roll here.......
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:25 Jan 09 - Restaurant of the Day - Leo's - Cheese steak or Cheese paste? 2009/01/25 18:25:25
Lorenzo's, here I am!
I love when the steak has some of those crispy brown edges to it!

I agree with that Leo's pic!  No thanks for me....

Chopped for me, baby.... with provolone,  fried sweet peppers and onions    ;         hot peppers and mayo on the side...
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:25 Jan 09 - Restaurant of the Day - Leo's - Cheese steak or Cheese paste? 2009/01/25 19:22:48
Don't like it chopped. Tried it once. Won't again.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:25 Jan 09 - Restaurant of the Day - Leo's - Cheese steak or Cheese paste? 2009/01/26 06:08:02
Thanks wanderingjew.   That's the one I remembered!  I know, I know, one cannot tell taste from a picture, but the roll and meat look good in that one.
edwmax
Re:25 Jan 09 - Restaurant of the Day - Leo's - Cheese steak or Cheese paste? 2009/01/26 07:16:39
wanderingjew

By special request from Miami Don I have included the photo of the cheesteak from Lorenzo's.

This look much better!     The topic photo looks like a fine sausage grind that should have been stuffed. http://www.roadfood.com/photos/13807.jpg

monkibonz
Junior Burger
Re:25 Jan 09 - Restaurant of the Day - Leo's - Cheese steak or Cheese paste? 2010/01/02 15:42:06
I had Leo's once and never again! The meat was so ground up it was not recognizable as a cheesesteak, I did not care for the mouth-feel of this sandwich at all. There are much better places nearby, such as Franks, in
Darby.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
Re:25 Jan 09 - Restaurant of the Day - Leo's - Cheese steak or Cheese paste? 2010/01/02 17:01:12
Dearfolk,
   One cannot help but wonder what Philadelphian grillmen/-women would have done with livermush. Perhaps it's a blessing that, although scrapple is abundant in Fluffia, livermush never made it that far north.
   Gee, I'll have to try that sometime and report back... livermush cooked with onions on a grill, then served with (my choice would be provolone) cheese on a Luna Bakery multi-grain wraparound bun... Philadelphia meets Charlotte, or something like that.
      Feeling Mush Better, Ort. Carlton in MIGHTY Damned Cold Athens, Georrrrrrgia.