Hershey Closing Scharffen Berger and Joseph Schmidt

BT
  • Total Posts : 3589
  • Reward points : 0
Hershey Closing Scharffen Berger and Joseph Schmidt - Wed, 01/28/09 12:47 PM
A few years ago the giant Hershey company bought San Francisco high end confectioners Scharffen Berger Chocolates and Joseph Schmidt Truffles.  Since then, they continued making the product in the same plants by the same people, so I suppose it was nearly the same.  But now they have announced they are closing both San Francisco facilities and consolidating elsewhere, presumably at some plant they already own to make Hershey bars.

Once again a corporate giant has spent good money for an artisanal operation and destroyed it, quite possibly along with their investment.  If I want Hershey bars, I'll buy them but I won't pay several times as much for a Hershey bar labeled Scharffen Berger.  I suggest none of you do either.

See http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/28/BU2F15I9DV.DTL&tsp=1
<message edited by BT on Wed, 01/28/09 6:57 PM>

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4896
Re:Hershey Closing Scharffen Berger and Joseph Schmist - Wed, 01/28/09 12:52 PM
I don't like Sharfenberger chocolate anyway. And, I stopped eating Hershey bars years ago.
Although I do like Hershey's dark chocolate, there are many other (even better) chocolates on the market today.

BT
  • Total Posts : 3589
Re:Hershey Closing Scharffen Berger and Joseph Schmist - Wed, 01/28/09 6:57 PM
Twinwillow

I don't like Sharfenberger chocolate anyway. And, I stopped eating Hershey bars years ago.
Although I do like Hershey's dark chocolate, there are many other (even better) chocolates on the market today.

You may never have had the real thing--before they were bought by the choco-monster.   Scharffen Berger  (2 words) was once very high quality artisanal chocolate made with care by people who loved what they were doing.  And I don't know if it was marketed outside the Bay Area.  But if you didn't like that, you don't like high quality chocolate.
<message edited by BT on Wed, 01/28/09 6:59 PM>

cybele
  • Total Posts : 74
Re:Hershey Closing Scharffen Berger and Joseph Schmist - Thu, 01/29/09 2:19 AM
BT
You may never have had the real thing--before they were bought by the choco-monster.   Scharffen Berger  (2 words) was once very high quality artisanal chocolate made with care by people who loved what they were doing.  And I don't know if it was marketed outside the Bay Area.  But if you didn't like that, you don't like high quality chocolate.

It's entirely possible for someone to not like something that's "high quality" ...

Those who have tried and liked SB since 2006 likely had the stuff that was made at the Robinson, Illinois factory ... so they probably won't notice any difference. It wasn't much of a secret to those who visited the Berkeley factory, it simply wasn't big enough to make their entire product line (and I never saw them making anything but dark chocolate).

It is very sad that Hershey's is abandoning the community that was so influential to the formation of the company. (But not surprising, as Hershey's is pretty much doing that with all the companies & their factories over the past 3 years - Peter Paul, York and Switzers.)

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2162
Re:Hershey Closing Scharffen Berger and Joseph Schmist - Thu, 01/29/09 6:25 PM
Now just a zombie brand, just like Famous Amos cookies. After a few owners, Famous Amos is now made by Keebler/Kelloggs and doesn't taste the same.

There are going to be a lot of laid-off employees in SFO and nothing to stop them from going into the chocolate making business.

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3698
Re:Hershey Closing Scharffen Berger and Joseph Schmist - Thu, 01/29/09 6:48 PM
I took a tour of the Scharffen Berger factory in Berkeley while on vacation in the summer of 2004.  I thought it was a thorough and enjoyable visit, and most people that I encountered there seemed to truly enjoy doing what they do.  I am less a fan of super dark chocolates, but thought that the hot chocolate drink that they served was out of this world.

I was dismayed to hear that SB was purchased by mass marketer Hershey's, but they did seem as though they would leave well enough alone. 

Realistically, though, in my mind, this is just another sign of a tough economy - with no end in sight.  Add these layoffs and "consolidations" to the others you read about every day.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
Re:Hershey Closing Scharffen Berger and Joseph Schmist - Thu, 01/29/09 10:21 PM
I sincerely hope this doesn't happen to Guittard in Burlingame.