Bacon Explosion

Cheeseburger
2009/02/03 08:37:57
Haven't seen this one pop up here yet, but it's all over the web!

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/bacon-explosion.html

If you make this, please post pics (or have your beneficiaries let us know where to sent flowers,;) ).

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Bacon Explosion 2009/02/03 09:16:35
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/The-Ultimate-Fattie-aka-Redneck-Sushi-m465943.aspx

The original and still the best.

I made the Bacon Explosion this weekend and that thing was nasty.  A Culinary Atrocity!
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Bacon Explosion 2009/02/03 09:43:35
JRPfeff

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/The-Ultimate-Fattie-aka-Redneck-Sushi-m465943.aspx

The original and still the best.

I made the Bacon Explosion this weekend and that thing was nasty.  A Culinary Atrocity!

good nasty or I'd-never-make-it-again nasty?
WarToad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Bacon Explosion 2009/02/03 10:15:06
Jennifer_4
good nasty or I'd-never-make-it-again nasty?

Kekekekeke.  Need a new keyboard now.
crew84row
Cheeseburger
Re:Bacon Explosion 2009/02/03 12:59:59
U Da Man JR!!

Gawd the things we do to get outside and stand in the smoke,lol.
Re:Bacon Explosion 2009/02/03 14:53:09
I made one for the Super Bowl, it was incredible, I used Sage Sausage, and a 4 blend Mexican Cheese, sorry, no pics. Next time I'm going to put 3 semi hard boiled eggs inside, eat leftovers next morning.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Bacon Explosion 2009/02/03 23:00:34
Jennifer,

I think you got the answer, but just in case ... That thing could gag a maggot.

Jim
NYNM
Filet Mignon
Re:Bacon Explosion 2009/02/04 08:00:24
crew84row

It has popped up on RF last week under the misc category (with a few responses), but I can't seem to find it now. Listed generically as "Has anyone heard of this" or something vague like that. I wonder if it was removed?

(also NYTimes, TV, etc)

Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:Bacon Explosion 2009/02/04 12:06:22
JRPfeff

Jennifer,

I think you got the answer, but just in case ... That thing could gag a maggot.

Jim

Jim,

It looked to me like it would be a lot of work to make something that would be inedible.
MGWerks
Cheeseburger
Re:Bacon Explosion 2009/02/04 22:39:20
We've been calling them 'fatties' for some time.  People have been making them and running them through their smokers at home for years.  Nothing new under the sun.

I've really liked the ones I've made - I don't know why folks would think they are inedible.  Lots of options for fillings...
mr_melvis
Junior Burger
Re:Bacon Explosion 2009/04/16 08:03:11
No idea where people are coming from saying 'this thing could gag a maggot, etc.", or "inedible".  We've made several of these now, and sliced and served on a biscuit - these things are the best breakfast ever!  Also, many variations - working on making one with "Sicilian Meatloaf Mix" (ground veal/pork/beef), thin layer of roasted garlic mashed potatoes and onions.  Will probably run it in the smoker next weekend...

mr_melvis
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Bacon Explosion 2009/04/16 09:54:08
It looks good to me, although I suspect that it is very salty.

I think that I would prefer JRPfeff's Fatty, though, with the cheese and peppers.

My doctor would disapprove of either one!
RKB
Cheeseburger
Re:Bacon Explosion 2009/04/27 19:44:15
Made one a couple weeks ago - WAAAAAAAAAAY too salty. There's a lot better options out there for fatties than this one.
swvadon
Junior Burger
Re:Bacon Explosion 2010/02/21 22:57:17
chewingthefat

I made one for the Super Bowl, it was incredible, I used Sage Sausage, and a 4 blend Mexican Cheese, sorry, no pics. Next time I'm going to put 3 semi hard boiled eggs inside, eat leftovers next morning.

That has GOT to be one of the funniest posts ever! The Bacon Explosion is bad enough, but you're getting into sadistic territory when you speak of adding hard boiled eggs! That is TOO funny!

My recommendation would be to make this on a Friday evening, so you have all day Saturday & Sunday to recover... Preferably when the wife is out of town visiting relatives...
swvadon
Junior Burger
Re:Bacon Explosion 2010/02/21 23:03:49
crew84row

If you make this, please post pics (or have your beneficiaries let us know where to sent flowers,;) ).

The funniest part of this all is that they add crispy bacon to the middle of the log. Because you want your 4+lb meat log to have some bacon flavor on the inside, not just on the outside. That would be boring, otherwise. You just need a little contrast between the bacon & the sausage. Crispy bacon middle, soft sausage layer, then crispy bacon crust. They probably discuss this at the CIA...
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
Re:Bacon Explosion 2010/03/28 03:42:59
I would make one, but modify it a bit, with only one layer of bacon with the sausage, add cheese and finely cut green pepper and onion. Try to make sure to get low salt bacon.

That thing already has 100,000 calories, the bbq suce on top is the definte coup de grace.
post edited by senor boogie woogie - 2010/03/28 14:31:30
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Bacon Explosion 2010/03/28 04:37:00
senor boogie woogie

I would make one, but modify it a bit, with only one layer of bacon with the sausage, add cheese and finely cut green pepper and onion. Try to make sure to get low salt bacon.

That's just not Right, using low sodium bacon & only one layer of bacon??? Don't you get it????----This thing is designed to KILL you almost immediately in it's original form. Dumbing it down will only create a slow & painful death. Cowboy Up and eat it as it was intended!
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Bacon Explosion 2010/03/28 20:11:10
This looks deadly!  It would probably be better with breakfast sausage and then sliced for Egg Bacon and Cheese sandwiches.