Another Houston BBQ joint burns - Thelma's

dexmat
  • Total Posts : 113
  • Reward points : 0
Another Houston BBQ joint burns - Thelma's - Thu, 02/5/09 9:42 PM
It happened last Friday morning but I just heard about it.

They are rebuilding.

Houston Press pictures and story.

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3698
Re:Another Houston BBQ joint burns - Thelma's - Thu, 02/5/09 10:00 PM
Sad.  I am starting to wonder if people are burning down Houston BBQ joints.

If that's the case, I've got a list of a few that I would like to see torched! 

carolina bob
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Another Houston BBQ joint burns - Thelma's - Fri, 02/6/09 12:20 AM
TTM, please say that The Goode Company is not on that list! I've been there and really enjoyed it.

The Travelin Man
Re:Another Houston BBQ joint burns - Thelma's - Fri, 02/6/09 12:52 AM
Goode Company can stay....but Otto's could go! 

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
Re:Another Houston BBQ joint burns - Thelma's - Fri, 02/6/09 7:06 AM

I don't know much about the place, but the article about tamale corn-dogs have given me a new goal. Expect an attempt by me in the future with pictures. I am sure that they would be just as good as my Chimichanga Dog.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2009/02/so_its_come_to_this_jays_corn.php

mark

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7384
Re:Another Houston BBQ joint burns - Thelma's - Fri, 02/6/09 8:23 AM
My favorite in Houston was Luling City Market (not affiliated with City Market in Luling) I know The Travelin Man was dissapointed with them and he went twice. So I checked out the yelp reviews to see what others thought. When I went there I ordered the sausage and brisket, I believe TTM ordered the ribs and brisket
The consensus on Yelp is that the Sausage is spot on - , the ribs suck and the brisket is hit or miss..I recell TTM described the briskett as dry. Fortunately for me they weren't.

The Travelin Man
Re:Another Houston BBQ joint burns - Thelma's - Fri, 02/6/09 11:10 AM
Admittedly, I am not much of a sausage guy, though I have loosened up on that a bit over the years, and will grab a bite or two at Smitty's or Southside Market.  Still, at no time in my immediate future am I going to make a decision on where to eat based on sausage alone.  My rabbi would kill me.

There is no reason for any self-respecting BBQ joint anywhere not to be able to produce quality ribs; and no self-respecting BBQ joint in Texas not to be able to produce brisket.  None.

If you'd had the meals I had at this branch of Luling City Market, you'd have begged me to take you back to our last visit to Arthur Bryant's - at least those fries were good!

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7384
Re:Another Houston BBQ joint burns - Thelma's - Fri, 02/6/09 11:24 AM
The Travelin Man

Admittedly, I am not much of a sausage guy, though I have loosened up on that a bit over the years, and will grab a bite or two at Smitty's or Southside Market.  Still, at no time in my immediate future am I going to make a decision on where to eat based on sausage alone.  My rabbi would kill me.

There is no reason for any self-respecting BBQ joint anywhere not to be able to produce quality ribs; and no self-respecting BBQ joint in Texas not to be able to produce brisket.  None.

If you'd had the meals I had at this branch of Luling City Market, you'd have begged me to take you back to our last visit to Arthur Bryant's - at least those fries were good!

Fortunately the brisket I had was in the same category as Louie Mueller's or Kreuz's.  What I found somewhat amusing is that one "yelper" actually noted that half the order of brisket was moist and smokey and the other half was dry and tasteless.

dexmat
  • Total Posts : 113
Re:Another Houston BBQ joint burns - Thelma's - Tue, 03/24/09 2:11 PM

Thelma's will re-open.

The new location looks like it will be a much better room than the old one in a somewhat better neighborhood but it won't be as convenient to the downtown lunch crowd.

Edited to fix link.
<message edited by dexmat on Tue, 03/24/09 2:15 PM>