Upload Photos

Junior Burger
2009/02/15 16:33:32
I am not computer savvy and I can't figure out how to upload photos. When I look at the photos I upload where is the URL? Please can you help? Thanks
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Upload Photos 2009/02/15 17:25:42
You need to first upload a photo where it can be hosted then you reference the URL JPEG between BBCode [img]xxx[/img]. Here are two message threads that cover it all in great detail.

Posting Pictures - A How To
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=322596

Test Thread - for Photo Upload Practice
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/TEST-THREAD-for-Photo-Upload-practiceTemporary-m322752.aspx
harley130
Junior Burger
Re:Upload Photos 2009/02/16 11:59:02
Here's how to upload a "clickable" thumbnail to RF
Upload your pic to Photobucket  then go to the box underneath the pic you just uploaded and there is a small square box to the left of the pic's name.  Click on this box and it will insert a green check mark.  Then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the "Generate HTML and IMG Code" button.  Find the box labeled:IMG clickable thumbnails for message boards - recommended
Click anywhere inside this box and the code will be highlighted.  On you keyboard hit your control "Ctrl" key and the letter "C" at the same time.  Then come back to your message at RF and putting your cursor inside the message box hit "Ctrl" and the letter "V" at the same time.  This process is simply copying the code from photobucket and pasting it into RF.  This then posts a clickable thumbnail to RF saving space on the forum.
Sorry if this is reduntant to another post.
post edited by harley130 - 2009/02/16 12:00:48
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Upload Photos 2009/02/16 12:37:03
Clickable thumbnails are not saving space on Roadfood.com. You are still hotlinking back to Photobucket.com to actually view the photo whether it is a clickable thumbnail or an embedded JPG image between [img]xxx[/img] BBCode. The photo resides on Photobucket.com and not Roadfood.com. Clickable thumbnails slow down message viewing with the need to access another page for each photo. That may be acceptable for a single photo but would be a nightmare reading someone's trip report that might have a half dozen or more photos.
harley130
Junior Burger
Re:Upload Photos 2009/02/16 16:11:05
Davydd

Clickable thumbnails are not saving space on Roadfood.com. You are still hotlinking back to Photobucket.com to actually view the photo whether it is a clickable thumbnail or an embedded JPG image between [img]xxx[/img] BBCode. The photo resides on Photobucket.com and not Roadfood.com. Clickable thumbnails slow down message viewing with the need to access another page for each photo. That may be acceptable for a single photo but would be a nightmare reading someone's trip report that might have a half dozen or more photos.

I tend to disagree with you on a couple of things.  While it's correct about the hotlinking, what I was referring to was in saving screen real estate.  A post with a thumbnail is a lot easier to view IMHO than one with a large picture.  As to several thumbnails in a roadtrip report, it would give the reader the option to click and view or not to click and view.  Maybe a thumbnail would suffice their curiosity.

My post above was in answer to questions I perceived in previous post.  I was merely putting forth a method that folks could choose to use or not. 
Most of the forums I’m a member of request or require you to upload to their servers to keep the message and pictures intact until they’re archived at some point.  Many have free storage on their servers; some have different levels depending upon your contributions.
Since I’ve just recently joined the RF Insider, I’ll be uploading to RF if available.
As always, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
Re:Upload Photos 2009/02/16 16:14:36
harley130

Davydd

I tend to disagree with you on a couple of things.  While it's correct about the hotlinking, what I was referring to was in saving screen real estate.  A post with a thumbnail is a lot easier to view IMHO than one with a large picture.  As to several thumbnails in a roadtrip report, it would give the reader the option to click and view or not to click and view.  Maybe a thumbnail would suffice their curiosity.

My post above was in answer to questions I perceived in previous post.  I was merely putting forth a method that folks could choose to use or not. 
Most of the forums I’m a member of request or require you to upload to their servers to keep the message and pictures intact until they’re archived at some point.  Many have free storage on their servers; some have different levels depending upon your contributions.
Since I’ve just recently joined the RF Insider, I’ll be uploading to RF if available.
As always, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

And keep in mind, often times you can set the size of a thumbnail ... they don't have to be postage stamp sized, in fact they can be large enough to be useful.

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Upload Photos 2009/02/16 18:54:51
So I click on a thumbnail and it opens another window with all kinds of other garbage in it including a Flash ad that bombed and gave me this error message which was their fault not the fault of my computer setup, BTW. Sorry, thumbnails are not an elegant way to present pictures on Roadfood.com. I would have had to open three separate windows from the message to see all the photos and be subjected to three ads. That's more memory intensive and confusing than simply embedding the photo only and much slower because of that Flash ad overhead one is subjected to. If the photo is not worth opening the thumbnail then perhaps it is best not uploaded at all. If you make the thumbnail larger so it is viewable then why make a thumbnail? Just because you can do a thumbnail does not make it a viable or recommended option, IMHO.

harley130
Junior Burger
Re:Upload Photos 2009/02/16 23:00:54
Davydd

So I click on a thumbnail and it opens another window with all kinds of other garbage in it including a Flash ad that bombed and gave me this error message which was their fault not the fault of my computer setup, BTW. Sorry, thumbnails are not an elegant way to present pictures on Roadfood.com. I would have had to open three separate windows from the message to see all the photos and be subjected to three ads. That's more memory intensive and confusing than simply embedding the photo only and much slower because of that Flash ad overhead one is subjected to. If the photo is not worth opening the thumbnail then perhaps it is best not uploaded at all. If you make the thumbnail larger so it is viewable then why make a thumbnail? Just because you can do a thumbnail does not make it a viable or recommended option, IMHO.

My advice then would be not to open thumbnails if your having a problem viewing them.  Again, I was only putting forth the idea that it could be done.  No where did I say that it was going to work in every case.  Your way nor my way is the only way.  As I stated previously YMMV