Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups

dtortor1
  • Total Posts : 334
  • Reward points : 0
Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups - Mon, 02/16/09 11:13 PM
I've searched both terms and read EVERY post on the subject, but nowhere did I find anything about the making of the product (well except one post from the dr. about an extractor...)

What do you trailer owners do? I plan to have one guy on money and drinks, will shake ups be a hold up? Would fresh squeezed lemonade in a clear container on display with lemon slices in it work just as well for point of sale?

Either way I need a squeezer, what do you folks recommend? Should I go with the basic commercial one from Sam's? is there a better alternative?

I'd love to also do Lime and Orange Shake ups, but as I fretted above, i don't want to add another person to the trailer just to handle these drinks...

Dom

JDofDE
  • Total Posts : 54
Re:Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups - Tue, 02/17/09 12:42 PM
I can only speak to small group catering, so others will need to address your labor questions. But I can give you the recipe for we use for Fresh Squeezed Lemonade. We avoid using a neutral slush used by the carnival vendors and prefer the taste of using a simple syrup. No free refills on Lemonade we sell 2 sizes; 20oz and 32oz.

Lemonade     Makes 6-gals    
9 cups            Cold Water
9 cups            Sugar
12 cups           Lemon Juice (approx. 36 med lemons with electric juicer)
                       *sold in cases of 140 at approx. $22-$25

1. Mix sugar and water in pot/pan and bring to boil, then simmer until sugar has dissolved                                              completely. This is called simple sugar.
2. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. Juice lemons and pour juice in 6-gal Igloo water carrier (Cost about $20)
4. Add simple sugar to Igloo, fill with cold tap water and cool.

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7762
Re:Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups - Tue, 02/17/09 3:38 PM
No matter the quantity, here is the formula...

Equal parts sugar and water, to make a simple syrup. Heat it in a pan, until the sugar is dissolved depending on quantity, but usually no more than a few minutes to a boil, then medium low until dissolved. Stir it, and watch it all the way though. Let it cool. You can put it in a squeeze or mixer bottle, with a cap.  You do not want to add sugar directly, because it will sink to the bottom (before it is dissolved), you taste and adjust, and by the time the sugar dissovles, you will be adjusting to compensate for too sweet, until you have a tanker of lemonade.

Equal amount of simple syrup to FRESHLY SQUEEZED LEMON JUICE, mixed in a container of your choice. Add 3-4 times (fresh quality filtered, if you can) water. Mix. Taste. If too sweet, add additional FRESHLY SQUEEZED lemon juice. If too "puckery" a LITTLE more simple syrup. If too "dense" overall, small amounts of water, until you "hit it" right. The more you do the process, the more the instincts kick in, and you will "hit it" right quickly, without much adjustment. Garnish with a slice of lemon, if you wish. That is your base. If someone requests more "pucker" you can either provide a fresh lemon slice or two, or add a LITTLE more FRESHLY SQUEEZED lemon juice, yourself.

If you do it on a cup by cup, it will not only take more time, but you run the risk of complaints about the sweetness (or lack there of) if you are using "regular table sugar" Even when using bar sugar, it takes time for the flavors to gel and taste to blend and "feel" like lemonade, instead of sugared lemon water. Just like marinating a steak, or waiting on the flavors of a stew to all come together. It is good for a show, but there are other attractions at the carnival, feast or fair more interesting than watching (and waiting) for lemonade as it is made. I would appreciate the show, but I am not your average girl.

From there, different schools of thought on yielding the most juice per lemon. Roll before cutting. Some microwave the lemon for a few seconds to "loosen up" the juice.

Adding small amounts of grated lemon zest, as well (for additional lemon flavor). Sparingly, or it may become bitter, or strong.

Experiment for your personal "perfect" version, of lemonade!!
<message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 02/17/09 6:06 PM>

Dr of BBQ
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups - Thu, 02/19/09 9:44 AM
Fron NRN:

(Jan. 12, 2009)
Steve Hester, Chick-fil-A’s director of purchasing, receives weekly price sheets for lemons because the price of the fruit may sour quickly depending on forces of nature. He procures more than half a million cases of lemons a year for the Atlanta-based company’s popular lemonade, which operators make by squeezing lemons at each of the more than 1,400 locations. Nate Appleman, chef of A16 in San Francisco, teams preserved Meyer lemon with braised halibut, pistachios and capers for a $24 special. “Lately prices are not as high as they were compared to late spring, early summer,” Hester says. “Right now it is pretty cyclical based on past history. Demand is high in spring and summer,” so he’s used to seeing the price rise at that time.
That price also reflects a recent report from a major supplier that indicates lemon harvests in California are back up to where they were prior to last year’s harsh freeze.
But regardless of prices, fresh citrus remains a critical ingredient in recipes. For example, if Hester nixed the fresh lemons added to Chick-fil-A’s lemonade, which is sold in a regular and diet form, he says guests would “come across the counter and hurt us.”
In fact the recipe for the lemonade—using the typical ingredients of water, sugar and lemon juice—hasn’t changed in some 40 years, said the chain’s brand development chief, Shona Jonson. However, the exact formula is such a well-guarded secret, Jonson isn’t allowed to make it anywhere outside of the company, even at her own home.

Pricing doesn’t deter chefs

“Even last year, when there was bad weather in California that resulted in a shortage of the fruit and an increase in price, I still used [lemons],” says Philippe Bertineau, executive chef of Payard Pâtisserie & Bistro in New York. “Many citrus fruits, such as oranges and grapefruit, are available year-round. But in my kitchen, I just use lemon and lime no matter the season because I use a few drops of lemon to finish fish sauces and enhance the flavor.

“I use it as a balancing contrast in rich preparations, such as farm-raised pork chop with lemon crust, crispy polenta, baby bok choy and chanterelles with dried fig-pork jus, as well as in braised lamb shank.”
The lamb shank sells for $29.

kennyb
  • Total Posts : 374
Re:Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups - Thu, 02/19/09 11:37 AM
what is the differance. lemonade made ahead of time and shakeups made on the spot?

dtortor1
Re:Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups - Thu, 02/19/09 12:37 PM
Exactly. As jack so eloquently put it to me, you are selling the sizzle on that one!

CCinNJ
Re:Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups - Thu, 02/19/09 1:26 PM
kennyb

what is the differance. lemonade made ahead of time and shakeups made on the spot?

It is pretty much the same difference as the marinating or curing meats, and the depth of good BBQ. On the spot will give you seperate (not always equal) flavor, procedure and a little time affords you balance and depth

Sugar +lemon+ water vs. the homemade tasting depth of lemonade, like your Grandma might have done it.
My Grandma would tell me, "CC, all the sizzle should be in the steak"
<message edited by CCinNJ on Thu, 02/19/09 1:37 PM>

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups - Thu, 02/19/09 1:44 PM
Perhaps you would like to know how "Bill's World Famous Lemonade", who has been doing lemonade shake-ups for most of the 60 years that the Heart of Illinois Fair has been in existence, makes them (as near as I can remember).  There are many people that go out to the Fair just to get his shake-ups!

Equipment: several large (8"-9" tall?) heavy-duty clear plastic cups, pestle (stomper) large enough to reach the bottom of the plastic cups, 1/4 cup scoop (for sugar), 1 cup scoop (for ice), knife for cutting lemons, drink serving cups that fit tightly on the plastic shaker cups.

Ingredients for each shake-up: 1/2 fresh lemon, cut in 4 pieces, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 cup ice chunks, about 1/2 cup water plus water to fill serving cup.

Procedure: Ahead of time, in each of the plastic shaker cups put 1/4 cup sugar topped with 4 lemon pieces.  When the shake-up is ordered, stomp lemon pieces into the sugar with the pestle, add about a 1/2 cup water and 1 cup ice.  Top shaker cup with serving cup tightly and shake vigorously about 10 shakes.  Set down on counter with serving cup down.  Remove shaker cup.  Finish filling serving cup with water.  Hand to customer.
<message edited by 6star on Thu, 02/19/09 1:45 PM>

CCinNJ
Re:Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups - Thu, 02/19/09 2:30 PM

I sure would 6star!!

There is a regional spin and difference in taste. YOU determine approach and target audience, accordingly. My mind is conditioned in mixology, first. Something that may not transale to every fair, in universe fashion. That is the great thing about debate, and throwing every option out there. There may not be a right or wrong, but every base is covered.

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4467
Re:Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups - Thu, 02/19/09 3:31 PM
CC, I like the lemon zest idea(I like more pucker in mine).  Extra flavor and a nice presentation.

CCinNJ
Re:Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups - Thu, 02/19/09 7:03 PM
Well Rogo, since I know you like to borrow my ideas and take my advice so often...

The #1 rule (for me) in mobile outside summer catering, is DO NOT carry and use any more ice, then you must.

It is hot, you never really know how much you will need, (this is without any surrounding established competition, that might be exclusive to that product, and very experienced) because an open container of ice (constant in and out) is not your friend. Melt and merge. A fluid situation.

You will have a lemonade stand, Joe. If not, you hire the best experienced bartender you know, who can keep up with a pestle, zester, the money, and will do it with charm & style!!! Hint hint!!
<message edited by CCinNJ on Thu, 02/19/09 7:54 PM>

BigRedLunchbox
  • Total Posts : 154
Re:Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups - Thu, 02/19/09 8:02 PM
I considered doing milkshakes and got a blender to do it, BUT decided not to make them for the festival menu because of time. It will take enough time to get the food out so I can "make up" time with just having simple beverages in a can or iced tea. I'd say if your trailer focus is drinks do it, if not, just keep it simple.

dtortor1
Re:Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups - Fri, 02/20/09 1:26 AM
I don't think the lemonade or shake up will be that difficult or hard to pull off.

But the ice thing has been something in the back of my mind for a while.

I plan to focus on smaller events at first, so I think its important to offer drinks, plus you always here that is where the money is. But the more I think about that, the more I realize it more refers to restaurants where ice is not a big problem. On the road, ice costs may be as high as some food costs.... I'm thinking, at least.

Still working out those logistics.

But if possible I would like to offer lemon shake ups and sweet tea, I think that would work out great. I would feel so cheesy selling a can drink for $2 or $1, but I could  sell a delicous hand made drink and not feel bad at $3.

Maybe i just love sweet tea and shake ups.

Ice and electricity. Seem to be the biggest hurdles in this business...

Dom

kennyb
  • Total Posts : 374
Re:Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups - Mon, 03/16/09 7:23 PM
what is bar sugar and where do you get it?

dtortor1
Re:Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups - Mon, 03/16/09 10:52 PM
bar sugar - late night loving from an inebriated partner...

you can get it at the local bars, usually after midnight...

Price varies greatly.

Dom

BigRedLunchbox
  • Total Posts : 154
Re:Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups - Mon, 03/16/09 11:15 PM
dtortor1

You would not believe the electrical problems we had this last weekend at an event. First, I was 200 ft from the nearest plug, 7 30 amp RV cords across a not so nice muddy field. The electrical problems were so bad, the transformer blew, so I just gave up and ran my generators and threw hamburgers and ribeye sammiches out the window as fast as I could, other vendors couldn't do anything. 
I talked with other vendors and they said this was worst they had seen in the 20 yrs they had been doing the event. It basically was rained out for 2 days of the 3 day event. BTW, nothing gives ya "tingle" like standing in the middle of a watery mud puddle trying to press plugs together cause people had endlessly ran them into the dirt.

Curbside Grill
  • Total Posts : 3916
Re:Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups - Mon, 03/16/09 11:48 PM
dtortor1

bar sugar - late night loving from an inebriated partner...

you can get it at the local bars, usually after midnight...

Price varies greatly.

Dom

LOL

Curbside Grill
  • Total Posts : 3916
Re:Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups - Mon, 03/16/09 11:59 PM
BigRedLunchbox

dtortor1

You would not believe the electrical problems we had this last weekend at an event. First, I was 200 ft from the nearest plug, 7 30 amp RV cords across a not so nice muddy field. The electrical problems were so bad, the transformer blew, so I just gave up and ran my generators and threw hamburgers and ribeye sammiches out the window as fast as I could, other vendors couldn't do anything. 
I talked with other vendors and they said this was worst they had seen in the 20 yrs they had been doing the event. It basically was rained out for 2 days of the 3 day event. BTW, nothing gives ya "tingle" like standing in the middle of a watery mud puddle trying to press plugs together cause people had endlessly ran them into the dirt.

Oh you did not have a good one at all.

dtortor1
Re:Lemonade vs. Lemon Shake Ups - Tue, 03/17/09 3:05 AM
that sucks... one of my biggest fears about this business is all this high amp wire running around through potentially wet areas.

first night i plugged in my trailer to test it at an RV park, it had been raining. I had made the plug. Talk about nervous!

Glad you had the generator, way to keep it moving!

When we lost power very briefly this past event, the biggest problem was the smoke buildup from exhaust but it was still servicable! May have died from carbon monoxide after too long, but was glad I could keep going while everyone else scrambled and b*tched!

Dom