Hot!Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian)

Sirloin
2009/02/28 23:20:04
Saturday February 28, 2009

I got a message a few weeks back from Amy about coming to Cincinnati for the weekend.  She and Chris we coming in to check the city out.  We discussed the Cincinnati area and places to possibly meet up to share a meal.

We decided on Camp Washington Chili for a mini meet and eat.  I was excited, I was finally going to meet Chris & Amy.

I got there a few minutes early, so I scoped the various angles around Camp Washington Chili.

This is the Colrain Ave side of Camp Washington Chili.

This is the view from Hopple Street.

The old Camp Washington Chili building was a narrow 3 story brick, like so many in the area, but time took it's toll on the old place, and years ago the old one was torn down and the new one was built.

I have been coming to both for over 30 years, and I like the new building better.  It has that modern diner feel, stainless steel and neon.

While I was waiting on Chris and Amy, I noticed 4 of Cincinnati's finest enjoying their dinner there, and so were lots of locals.

Chris & Amy arrived and after some brief introductions in the "cold" we went inside for dinner.  (I enjoy the cold weather and was only wearing a short sleeve shirt.  it was only 35 degrees out.) 

When we went in I showed them the table in which Cliff and I sat last year. (Under the Roadfood Review)  Unfortunately it was full, so we chose another table.

Looking over the menu, I was torn.  I have been in the mood for a double decker (cincy tradition) or a 3-way and some coneys?  Which should I choose?

a Large 3-Way, seemed like the best choice

and of course 2 Cheese Coneys with the works

As Buffettbuster and Now Ayersian know I like to use a bigger plate and put the oyster crackers on the big plate and then slide the 3-4 or 5 way onto the bed of crackers.

Chris & Amy followed suit and even commented on how the oyster crackers really compliment the dish.

Chris & Amy doing the roadfood thing, gotta get the pictures first

I can only imagine what the others were thinking, all 3 of us had our cameras out taking pictures.

During dinner we talked about the greater Cincinnati area, They had just come from the art museum and were impressed.

Their day sounded like they had quite the adventure, Jungle Jim's, the art museum, and dinner at Camp Washington Chili.

In listening to both Chris and Amy, I could hear their passion for Roadfood and the adventure that goes with it.
It was truly a great experience to share a meal with them.

As we sat and talked the conversation came around to Graeter's Ice Cream, which is where I was planning on going for dessert. There is a Graeter's just up the hill from Camp Washington Chili so we made plans to meet up there for dessert.

Before I left, in honor of my good friend Cliff, I had to get this shot, and NO John Johnson wasn't there.

Camp Washington Chili
Corner of Hopple St and Colerain Ave
Cincinnati, OH
513-541-0061
http://www.campwashingtonchili.com/

After a short drive up the hill, and over to Ludlow Ave, and after searching for a parking spot, (Mt Auburn on a Saturday evening is a busy place)  we actually timed it perfectly. 

I found a parking spot up the street and Chris and Amy found one down the street and walking back to Graeter's we met at the door.

I had my mind on a double dip mocha chip in a waffle cone, looking at the menu board on a white piece of paper was a notice, OUT OF MOCHA CHIP.

"Crushed" I had to go to a back up plan, oh wait what is that, a pretzel cone????

Chris & Amy had ordered one, so why not try it, but what flavor to try???

Ok, I wasn't as "crushed" as I let on, Graeter's does not make a bad flavor, but I had to choose from all those wonderful flavors.

Black Raspberry Chip, Double Scoop on a pretzel cone

Another wonderful time, getting to talk to Chris and Amy and hear about their Roadfood adventures.  We discussed the Memphis trip and next year's Glee Club adventure in Charleston.

I really did miss a great meet and eat.

As we were getting to leave we stepped over to the bakery side of Graeter's.  There was a lemon cream pie, chess pie, and others, and knowing Graeter's they would have been good.  However I have a weakness for one of their other bakery items.

A cheese crown, it is sort of complicated so I asked the bakery girl to explain it.

The cheese crown was one of those "happy mistakes" that occurs when cooking or baking.  It is cheese danish pastry, with cream cheese filling, but add cinnamon. (the "happy mistake")  You get a cross of a cheese danish and a cinnamon bun. 

tray of Cheese Crowns at Graeter's Bakery

I don't have a picture of just one of them. I was going to try and save them for the NASCAR race on Sunday, but I don't think they will make it that long.

Graeter's Ice Cream
332 Ludlow Avenue
Cincinnati, OH

(513) 281-4749
http://www.graeters.com/

Two Cincinnati traditions in one evening, a great evening with 2 great roadfooders Chris & Amy.

Thank You Chris and Amy for making it such a great evening, I am still smiling with thoughts of the evening.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/01 05:39:14
I just LOVE the picture of Chris and Amy photographing their food!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/01 05:44:37
Great stuff CK!!!  You definitely showed them two of Cincy's best.  I was hoping at least someone would get the black raspberry chip and you came through. Too bad John Johnson wasn't there.

Chris-
You look SO serious trying to get that perfect shot! 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/01 07:07:36
CajunKing -

We had our first Camp Washington meal last summer and really enjoyed it!  You guys certainly picked two good ones! 

Chris and Amy -

So is it Ohio...inquiring minds want to know!
post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2009/03/01 17:08:53
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/01 09:31:05
Thanks for getting the pictures first!  Now that I am finally posting at least some pictures, I have to remember this before starting to eat! 

I had some shots I refused to put up because they were objectionable to me...Showing half eaten things is not good IMHO.  Actually, cutting into whatever I'm eating is the way to go.  I have to remember this in the future.

Never realized Graeters was a bakery, too.  Was recently with some friends who gratuated from U of Cincinnati and they still are talking about that ice cream.

Incidently, great beard!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/01 10:33:12
Don,
   Thanks for the bulletin tracking those two wandering Roadfooders! We will be meeting them today at Claudia Sanders. I am anxious to hear of their adventures at Jungle Jim's!  I had sort of thought of a Graters stop after our Chicken dinners , but now I know they have "Been There- Done That", we may focus on the Homemade Pie and Ice Cream Shop if there is time before they head for the airport.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/01 10:48:42
Don,

So you're using the "Al the Mayor technique" of taking photos of roadfooders while taking photos of their food?

I'm glad that you all had a great time.

I hope to meet up with you guys in May. I'm shooting for a free flight on my credit card miles into Pittsburgh and hope to bum a ride with Buffetbuster into Cinci.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/01 11:36:15
Looks wonderful! And I am sure you three had a wonderful time...
porkchopexpress
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/01 18:44:54
Great Report. The next time I'm thru Cincy I'm going to try Graeter's Ice Cream is looks excellent.
susanll
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/01 19:58:14
Chris and Amy are the nicest people.  Glad you were able to break chili and cones together.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/02 09:55:46
Glad to catch up with Chris and Amy's adventures. Please come to Portland, Chris and Amy.
firecommander3565
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/02 10:54:13
Soory to say, if I want that much cheese I am going north to Wisconsin... to kinda borrow a line " Where's the Chili?"
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/02 11:05:48
wanderingjew

Don,

So you're using the "Al the Mayor technique" of taking photos of roadfooders while taking photos of their food?

I hope to meet up with you guys in May. I'm shooting for a free flight on my credit card miles into Pittsburgh and hope to bum a ride with Buffetbuster into Cinci.
Glad to hear you may join me for the ride out.  If you want, I will ask Poverty Pete to find all the right wing radio talk shows between Pittsburgh and Cincy!

enginecapt
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/02 13:08:26
Why don't they melt the cheese?
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/02 13:57:59
enginecapt
The cheese actually melts onto the chili, the pictures were taken right after they came out.

firecommander3565

It just looks like there is LOTS of cheese, but it melts down and covers things nicely.  It is a finely shredded cheddar.

WJ

It would be an honor to have you join us for a chili marathon.

BB

The mocha chip was going to be my first choice, I am glad they were out.  I LOVE the black raspberry chip, and the pretzel cone added that saltiness to the sweet and chocolate that made it all really good.

AL

Chris and Amy had Graeters the night before, but it wasn't too hard to twist their arms to go again.  I mean it is Graeter's were talking about.  Though the pie shop sounds good too.
post edited by CajunKing - 2009/03/02 14:01:48
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/02 14:06:35
buffetbuster

wanderingjew

Don,

Glad to hear you may join me for the ride out.  If you want, I will ask Poverty Pete to find all the right wing radio talk shows between Pittsburgh and Cincy!

Throw in some Ragtime Piano music on the cd player and you've got a deal.

enginecapt
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/02 14:10:01
I've yet to enjoy the regional delicacies known as Cinn. chili and coneys, and I'm hoping to do just that one of these days. There was a place in San Diego that was supposed to be authentic, but, alas, it closed before I could get down there.

I've heard the canned stuff doesn't cut the mustard, so I've given up in that idea.

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/02 16:32:25
Buffetbuster, if you and Wanderingjew want to check out some right-wing radio, all you have to do is tune to WLW ( 700 on your AM dial ) at 12 noon ET M-F, and you'll be "entertained" ( "subjected to" is more like it ) by the infamous Bill Cunningham, Cincinnati's answer to Rush Limbaugh, and Sean Hannity's bestest buddy. Ol' Willie is a real hoot ( I listen just for laffs. ) 
soozycue520
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/02 21:00:18
CK~

Loved the report from my hometown!!  Just an FYI, the neighborhood where you went to Graeter's is Clifton, not Mt. Auburn.

When you do the thing in May, I have to work {the day before Mother's Day ~ I will be busy & I am going on vacation the next week}, but I will keep up on the itinerary, if there is anything I can work out.  I live & work right in the heart of the city.
catherine s
Junior Burger
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/02 21:15:23
Thank you for taking us along.

It is nice to visit through photos and
commentary.

The cheese crowns really look good.
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/02 22:32:14
Donald, we had an equally fabulous time this past weekend (save the fact that Chris got stuck in Cincy on Sunday night due to the New England snowstorm!). Thanks for introducing us to that famous 5-way chili! We were going to compile a separate Trip Report to review our weekend indulgences, but instead will take this opportunity to tack on right here!

On Friday night we arrived in Cincy and did the unthinkable (close your ears, Wanderingjew) by going out for Asian food. I had read some really positive reviews about Green Papaya in the Hyde Park neighborhood and we were curious to test the waters. We started off with an order of the Fry Pig Wing Stuff (deep-fried chicken wings stuffed with minced shrimp, chicken, and vegetables, served with a sweet chili sauce). 

When Chris told our waitress how much we LOVED the chicken (I think the quote might have been “this is one of the most fabulous dishes ever”), she told him that he was the first American to say so. Although the stuffed wings are  a favorite dish in Thailand, apparently most Americans just feel that the dish is “too stinky.” Whatever. We loved it. The appetizer was quickly followed by a plate of delicious sushi (Tri-state sushi roll, BBQ eel sushi, and Hot and Spicy Yellowtail roll)

and the Crazy Noodles (soft, wide rice noodles pan-fried in a basil sauce with onion, eggplant, long beans, and peppers), which was apparently devoured so quickly that we didn’t even have a chance to snap a shot. We were initially a bit skeptical about that fact that Green Papaya serves both Thai and Sushi under one roof (could they possibly do BOTH well??), but it gets 2 big thumbs up in our book!
Green Papaya: 2942 Wasson Road, Cincinnati
On our way back to the hotel, we took a quick detour to Mariemont for a scoop of heaven…I mean ice cream…at Graeter’s. Now we have eaten a lot of ice cream in recent months (see http://www.roadfooddigest.com/IceCream/ for proof), but Graeter’s definitely ranks near the top of our list. We ordered a scoop of the Buckeye Blitz (chocolate ice cream with peanut butter, chocolate chunks, and cookie dough) drowned in Graeter’s own Hot Fudge sauce.

The ice cream itself was soft and creamy (no ice crystals here!), but the amazing thing was how packed each bite was with mix-ins. Each bite was stuffed with chunks, putting any Ben and Jerry’s pint to shame. We were too stuffed to consume any of the bakery items or chocolate bunnies, but were certainly impressed by just how much Graeter’s had to offer!
 More to come...

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/02 23:43:17
Give me the scoop (get it, scoop????  hhhahaaahhhahhaha!).....

Midwest ice creams?

Greaters or Ted and Wally's?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/03 07:17:34
ayersian-
After all the ice cream you two have eaten in the past year, I was curious to see what you thought of Graeter's.  Glad to hear it gets the thumbs up!

BTW, I would most definitely eat those wings, too.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/03/03 07:18:44
billyboy
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/03 09:43:26
The Fry Pig Wing Stuff sounds like an Thai version of "Turducken" and sounds crazy good too!  

Is that seriously "one" scoop of ice cream?  Looks huge.  Did you both have any flashback moments to the N.E. Ice Cream Tour when the ice cream hit your lips at Graeter's?

Glad you had a great time!
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/03 10:03:57
Aren't Chris and Amy great?  Just by your mentioning their names I knew that you had a most enjoyable meeting.

That ice cream scoop looks fabulous.  I'll have a double, please.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/03 12:43:34
OH, those wings look so good.  A Thai noodle place we like around here does something similar with large shrimp--wrapped in a wonton with the stuffing all around--but yours looks better.  Donald, I would have been down with a cheese crown as well.

That is a fabulous picture-taking picture.  Chris & Amy are the best.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/03 12:53:22
The wings look great, Ayersian.  I believe that the traditional recipes for that dish include marinating the wings in a marinade that has fish sauce as one of the ingredients.  Perhaps some of the locals are not accustomed to it?

BTW, FWIW, at least some of the Thai joints around here serve sushi, too.
post edited by MiamiDon - 2009/03/03 13:20:50
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/03 13:15:40
ayersian

On Friday night we arrived in Cincy and did the unthinkable (close your ears, Wanderingjew) by going out for Asian food.

Too late,

That's ok, I guess I'll have to find some 5 way chili parlors when I head to Southern California next month.

Sushi, in a Thai restaurant, sounds like something they'd have here in Rhode Island.

Here's a teaser for my upcoming trip-
Now THIS is the typical "only in L.A." ROADFOOD joint that you're unlikely to find in the rest of the country- I know I havent!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ugly-roll-sushi-los-angeles#hrid:-nuP1VVfsfYxcXrq23gdNQ/src:search/query:best%20california%20roll

Ok, back to Cinci....
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/03 13:39:01
soozycue520

CK~

Loved the report from my hometown!!  Just an FYI, the neighborhood where you went to Graeter's is Clifton, not Mt. Auburn.

When you do the thing in May, I have to work {the day before Mother's Day ~ I will be busy & I am going on vacation the next week}, but I will keep up on the itinerary, if there is anything I can work out.  I live & work right in the heart of the city.

Soozycue

You are right about the neighborhood, I had planned on taking them to the Mt Auburn location, but they close early, and the Clifton's location was actually closer.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/03 15:54:03
Wandering Jew,  

if you haven't tried it yet, Chili My Soul on Ventura Bl in Encino serves many different varieties of chili every day.  They have maybe 10 or 12 varieties on the menu at any given time.  (Maybe less)

Ventura Bl will keep you happy.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/03 16:07:40
mar52

Wandering Jew,  

if you haven't tried it yet, Chili My Soul on Ventura Bl in Encino serves many different varieties of chili every day.  They have maybe 10 or 12 varieties on the menu at any given time.  (Maybe less)

Ventura Bl will keep you happy.

Marlene,

If there was a 5 way chili place in LA I knew you'd find it
I was being somewhat sarcastic (hey what else is new!) in my prior comment.
I'm going to try to fit in as much as I can with my next visit to La-La land!
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/03 22:54:22
Just a couple of things about the previous posts to start off...

CajunKing - we can’t thank you enough for taking the time to eat with us!  Your encyclopedic knowledge of the city’s history added a tremendous amount to our appreciation of Cincinnati, and now we know the best way to eat 5-way chili: oyster crackers on the bottom to soak up the chili juice!  We’ll be thinking of you during your chili weekend in May and wishing we could be there.

Green Papaya - I stated that the Thai stuffed chicken wings were some of the best appetizers I’ve ever had.  Didn’t want you all to think that I just aimlessly throw around superlatives...   I was particularly amazed at the seamless crust—how did they get the stuffing in there?  Our server, who was herself amazed that an American would notice, said that they bore a hole in each wing and inject it with the stuffing mixture.  I’d’ve never guessed that in a million years! CajunKing told us that there are some mighty fine Thai places in the area, and Green Papaya is definitely one of them.

Saturday’s breakfast

I’ve come to the realization that we could eat anywhere in this grand country of ours and meet a fellow RFer.  Upon hearing that we’d be checking out Miami University in Oxford, OH, Poverty Pete contacted us and said that he had a friend who lived in Oxford who’d be happy to show us around town.  This friend was none other than Lynn Metcalf, who had dined with Pete, the Bowens, et al. on a previous RF outing.  She insisted that we start with breakfast at her favorite spot, and who were we to argue?  We met her at the Millville Restaurant in Millville, halfway between Cincy and Oxford. The place was fairly crowded with locals, and Lynn waved us to her booth by the window. As we sat down, I noticed the conflagration of condiments that took up almost a quarter of the table:

I took this as a good RF omen and immediately found goetta on the menu. This is a regional specialty made of ground pork, oats, and spices and is known as “Cincinnati caviar” because of its near-exclusivity to the Cincinnati/N. Kentucky area. This huge plank was fried until crispy brown, and its crunchy crust complemented its creamy insides—texturally, a cross between scrapple and livermush:

On Sunday, we drove by Glier’s over the river in Covington, KY, the world’s #1 producer of goetta. They carry goetta dogs, goetta burgers, and goetta pizza—all sound delicious! We’ll be investigating this further on our next visit. Lynn assured us the biscuits & gravy were scrumptious:

The gravy was thick and chock full of sausage chunks that overshadowed the biscuits. However, the biscuits reached their true potential when we added a spoonful of homemade preserves from our table. Amy liked the peach one best, but I preferred the strawberry jam (l. to r.: apricot, peach, strawberry):

This was a wonderful breakfast, and I must also add that no one paid us any attention when we were snapping photos. The food’s so good that maybe these folks are used to shutterbugs!  Afterwards, Lynn rode with us and gave us a thorough tour of Miami U. and the town of Oxford. She was an absolute delight to hang out with, and we hope to see her again on our next visit. Special thanks to Poverty Pete for sharing Lynn with us!    Chris

Millville Restaurant
1198 Millville Ross Rd.
Hamilton, OH  45013
513-863-4644

post edited by ayersian - 2009/03/03 22:56:26
carlton pierre
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/04 07:13:24
Excellent reports ( both of them).  Hey, two for one.
Someone might want to check out the revolving restaurant in NoKy ( I don't know which hotel owns it anymore) but the food is good and the view(s) is/are fantastic for great photos.
Some great litttle neighborhood joints all over NoKy as well.
carlton pierre
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/04 07:21:25
Sorry, I posted before realizing there were 2 pages to this report.  Guess I should check this site more often.  There were 3 outstanding reports and the Millville Restaurant is one of my faves.  I remember in early 70's Lonnie Mack used to frequent this area quite a bit.
If you're a Stevie Ray Vaughn blues guitar fan ( and I'm not) but SRV was heavily influenced by Lonnie Mack and tried to emulate his style.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/04 14:54:26
Wanderingjew, this has probably already been posted somewhere on the site but here it is:

http://www.chilimysoul.com/menu.html

If you can't eat there, you can at least read about it.

This is a chili sort of day.  Been raining.  Think I'll drive down the block and have a bowl split into two flavors.

Thanks for the idea!

< Of course I have my camera >
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/04 15:39:36
Chris you just about have me convinced that I would at least try goetta.  That doesn't sound terrifying like scrapple does (but I eat hash so why am I being so picky?)
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/04 15:43:35
Nancy-
I eat all three, but think hash would be the scariest of the three.  It depends on what you grow up eating, while not knowing any better!
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/03/04 16:19:31
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/04 16:04:37
Of the three choices, I find 'Hash', be it Corned or Roast Beef in origin, the easiest for me to enjoy. Perhaps that is because so many diners offer it as 'Home-Made' dish as opposed to something purchased commercially and then sliced and fried.

I have had some very good Scrapple, and my two times eating Goetta were ok. If given the option between either of these two 'side meats' or home-made Hash, I would probably elect to order the Hash.

PS- Janet and I shared a day at Jungle Jim's with The young lady you met in Ohio, PP's friend Lynn. She is a delight, indeed and very knowledgeable of that area. I am glad she was able to share some time with you.
post edited by mayor al - 2009/03/04 16:08:05
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/04 16:07:36
Al-
I hate to tell you this, but we are talking about the hash at South Carolina bbq joints that is made out of all the left over parts of the pig.  It is usually served over top of rice.  The less you think about it, the better it is.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/04 16:07:40
Mr. Mayor, I mean barbecue hash.  Barbecue hash . . you just have to know something about who made it, you know?  It typically has organ meats in it, but that is not always true.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/04 16:08:02
Wow, same thought at the same time.  :)
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/04 16:10:51

OK, I will modify my comment to make it clear that the BBQ Hash you mentioned is NOT included in my evaluation, and apologize for my misunderstanding.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/04 16:17:53
Listen, no worries.  That would definitely not be the first definition that floated to mind when you thought of the word 'hash.'
brittneal
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/04 16:23:42
Those stuffed chicken wings look awesome!. I tried goetta once before I found out more about it.  The server told me it was like a sausage.  I was so disappointed with it.  It was like eating fried sawdust.  Reading a true history of goetta it was the invention of a frugal butcher.  They threw pinoats on the floor of the butcher shop instesd of saw dust.  They sweepings were gathered up at the end of the day and boiled down and cooled.  Goetta!
As afr as teh mountain of cheese you find on cinci chilli products.  Its all fluff.  That mountain of grated cheese is so fine it only weighs  about  1/2 oz.  Its so fine it almost melts in your mouth.
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/04 22:04:53
After breakfast and a lovely tour of the Miami campus, we parted ways with Lynn and headed to the town of Fairfield, home of Jungle Jim’s International Market. I really don’t know how else to describe JJ’s other than amusement park meets grocery store. If you think mega-stores like Costco and IKEA are big, you will be blown away by Jungle Jim’s.  This 300,000 square foot “foodie paradise” has just about any item that you would possibly want…as well as many that you would never in a million years be interested in. To describe it in words seems silly. Instead, a few pictures…
An external shot as you approach the store:

This is just a small portion of the HUGE meat counter:

In the packaged meat section, you can find all kinds of delicacies:

Speaking of exotic foods…

A wide range of exotic fruits and veggies in the international produce section:

More hot sauces than you can imagine, all alphabetically ordered under the huge fire truck!

Sometimes JJ’s feels a bit like Chuck-E-Cheese’s. These characters draw big crowds of kids:

But the largest crowd was around the themed restrooms. The door opens up into a regular restroom hallway!

What an adventure! We ended up roaming the aisles of Jungle Jim’s for at least 3 hours that afternoon, having lost all track of time and space. Once we finally emerged, we headed over to the Cincinnati Art Museum to spend some time before dinner. Our fabulous Camp Washington dinner with Cajunking was already documented above, so that does it for Day 2. Stay tuned for shots from our Kentucky Sunday at Claudia Sander’s!

Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/05 01:14:01
When Mayor Al told me about Jungle Jim's a few years ago while visiting my area, I checked it out on the web.  The grocery store had a map just to help people find their way around.  I haven't been yet, but it is definitely a destination for a future trip.

MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/05 05:59:57
I certainly hope that you bought some crickets!
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/05 06:58:21
Hey, I've had the bacon chocolate bars; they're pretty good.  My son roadtrips about once a year to Jungle Jim's and now I know it's his early theme park memories plus food that keeps taking him there.  Awesome tour y'all!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/05 12:46:24
Chris,
   I know you were being "PC" in limiting your photo record at JJ's to the more moderate "exotics"!!
  I would the record to show that they have a counter full of fresh, "not Frozen", animal parts that are not in the normal inventory at most Markets in the USA.  Here are the Pig's Heads and Sheep Skulls. They are right beside the duck feet, chicken feet, cow hoofs and a whole row of other"unusual" meat items.

The only TurDucHen I have seen outside of the 'special order' businesses in Louisiana is at JJ's. I've never done one, but should I decide to, JJ's will have them in stock!!
   The same goes for "Real" Dry-aged Beef. Not found in most of the markets here, JJ's ages it's own and has specials quite frequently to make it "almost affordable"!

For a long time JJ's was my "local" source for Shiner's Boch Beer...My favorite. Now Shiner's is being carried at other places in the area, but JJ's was the place to get it for years.

Anyone wanting to see the weekly ad and learn more about this place can go to their website and check it out.
  www.junglejims.com/

We're looking forward to your next installment of this weekends adventure!
post edited by mayor al - 2009/03/05 12:49:47
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/05 13:52:27
There used to be up in the "tri-county" area of Cincinnati a place called "Markets International" and as a kid it was a great place to go and see the things from various places around the world.

Jungle Jim's, like Chris said, is part amusement park and part grocery store, but they have areas for places all around the world.

Some places have a "lobster tank" but not at Jungle Jim's

One part of the store I like is the LIVE FISH market.  you want BASS for dinner, pick out which one you want it is still swimming around the tank.

Trout, Tilapia all still swimming around you pick them out, they will clean them and you can take them home, you can't get fresher thant that.

Chris

I was eating lunch when I saw the CAN of Haggis,
and this is coming from someone who likes Haggis
soozycue520
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/05 17:58:08
Chris, Amy & Al~

Did you get special permission to photogragh inside Jungle Jim's, or did you do it discreetly, or did no one stop you? 

I took my camera one time {I live close enough that I go several times a year}, with the intention to do a Roadfood report & there are signs posted that no photography was allowed without special permission.  I thought about asking for permission, as I was "reporting" for Roadfood.com, but decided against it.  After seeing the signs, and not asking, I didn't feel comfortable pulling my camera out.

The pics are great, and there are soooo... many noteworthy things about JJ's.  The first time I took my grandkids, when they got old enough to appreciate it, I bought my grandson {the adventurous eater~definitely my spawn!} assorted jerkys - ostrich, elk, alligator, etc.. My granddaughter was scared to death of the frozen rattlesnake meat, curled up & still looking like a snake.  Both the kids got some crickets & ants, and actually kind of enjoyed eating them.  I just LOVED experiencing this adventure with them.  We are lucky to have it so close by.

Thanks for all of the pictures, and the whole trip report.  I love experiencing my hometown from your eyes.  I haven't been to Green Papaya, but will have to soon.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/05 18:50:18
SC520-
  I saw the signs, but decided if I was asked I would use the same reasoning you expressed...I was doing a report for RF.com!! Since my camera is a rather 'full-sized' DSLR I couldn't just stick it in my pocket!! All was OK though. No One asked me about my photo efforts, However I did not include people in my photos (with the exception of one shot of POVPETE looking through the Pickle bins !!)
  The fruit and veggie section deserves a report of it's own.
sudie
Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2009/03/06 10:12:30
Is the Green Papaya a chain?  I googled it and found Green Papayas in many cities.  Or did several places simultaneously come up with the same name?
mlm
Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2013/11/08 16:24:01
Hi, I'm a long time lurker who have always loved this site and the trip reports but only now remembered how to log on so I can reply. The odd meats at Jungle Jim reminds me that a few years ago, I saw my first whole monk fish a the grocery store. I was so shocked at its ugliness that I called over a clerk to find out what it was! I didn't want to buy it, I just wanted to know if it was ok!! Too funny. So glad to "meat" you all at last.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2013/11/08 16:35:58
Welcome mlm. Can you still get steamed beer in San Marcos?
mlm
Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2013/11/08 16:42:00
Hi, Michael. Glad to meet you. You will have to fill me in on what steamed beer is, in 42 years, I have yet to sample all the local delicacies, but I can tell you one thing. From April to October, everything is steaming down here! By the way, where are you relative to Athens, Ohio. I have a sister there. We were from Morgantown, Wva, originally.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Traditions with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2013/11/08 16:53:45
Back in the early '50s we'd occasionally go down from Austin  to San Marcos for steamed beer (as if there wasn't enough beer in Austin). There were several beer gardens there at the time. Relative to Athens we're a little under 80 miles northeast, a suburb of Columbus. I look forward to posts from you about the good food in your area.