ATTENTION VENDORS USING OR WANTING TO SELL IN FRONT OF LOWES OR HOME DEPOT

Hillbillyhotdog
  • Total Posts : 19
  • Reward points : 0
ATTENTION VENDORS USING OR WANTING TO SELL IN FRONT OF LOWES OR HOME DEPOT - Thu, 03/5/09 8:43 PM
In order to have a cart at Lowes or Home Depot, you must first apply with Street Eats Limited (this is latin for "You work, we get paid, Incorporated")  www.streats.net

Non-refundable application fee $50

6 to 10 weeks before you get an answer and your still not done.

You must have been certified in recommended food safety course.

Your cart must meet NSF.

Your menu and PRICES, must be approved by them and then best of all,

they won't tell you the fees for a specific location until near the end of

accepting you.  They don't accept phone calls and only respond to your mailed or faxed questions.

This company is a joke. 

They are stealing money from honest hard working vendors without having to lift a finger.

If you are aware of this or would like more info: go to: www.streats.net and click on application. 

My goal is to get you all to send letters/Emails to Lowes and Home Depot Corporate.

Lowes CEO: rniblock@lowes
Home Depot CEO: Frank_Blake@homedepot.com

Thank you for reading.

Ben

Bill Reynolds
  • Total Posts : 230
Re:ATTENTION VENDORS USING OR WANTING TO SELL IN FRONT OF LOWES OR HOME DEPOT - Thu, 03/5/09 9:17 PM
  Lowe's and Home Depot both would be prefect if it were possible to get in without having a third parties finger in the pie. It would seem that if the manager of the store had enough of a business sense to be able to make his or her store sucessful that he or she would also be able to see to it that a vendor out front selling whatever was doing so without hurting his or her stores reputation or making the customers ill from having eaten the food. I am sure there is much I do not see or understand about how this is conducted and thus  this is only my two cents. I will send a letter for what it is worth.

Hillbillyhotdog
Re:ATTENTION VENDORS USING OR WANTING TO SELL IN FRONT OF LOWES OR HOME DEPOT - Thu, 03/5/09 9:31 PM
Thank you for sending a letter.  Our Lowes manager was so excited when I told him I would be coming.  He then called back and said that the District Manager said we had to go through "You Work we Get Paid Inc."

Dr of BBQ
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:ATTENTION VENDORS USING OR WANTING TO SELL IN FRONT OF LOWES OR HOME DEPOT - Thu, 03/5/09 10:15 PM
All of the above information has been listed here on Roadfood for a very long time. If you'd done a search of this site you would have known this without contacting anyone. No news here in my mind.
But you know if Lowes / Home Depot has a contract with Streats that’s their choice, why would you get so upset with the company that Lowes/ Home Depot  hired and not instead with Lowes and Home Depot?
Jack

Bill Reynolds
Re:ATTENTION VENDORS USING OR WANTING TO SELL IN FRONT OF LOWES OR HOME DEPOT - Thu, 03/5/09 11:25 PM
  As I have already said, there is much that i don't understand why they would want a middleman when they can do their own background checks and such. It would despite the lower amount of builders and various subs coming to either of these places maybe make some business sense to have food out front although having never done it I am in no position to offer any more than a guess. At a point in time not so long ago it was common to see a food vendor out front. Now it does not seem to be the case. Maybe with spring coming on there will be a difference. There are many well meaning, good honest people out here that would be only to happy to show that they were out front to do a good job and would be able to match any criteria that the third party would impose from far away without having to play their parasite game.One more time, just MHO.

Bill Reynolds
Re:ATTENTION VENDORS USING OR WANTING TO SELL IN FRONT OF LOWES OR HOME DEPOT - Thu, 03/5/09 11:36 PM
 I probally did not already say everything that I said I did in the last post and for that I will say that I am sorry and did not mean to ruffle any feathers. I came to this site to learn and have learned much and have nothing but Thanks for all that I have learned from so many good people willing to share their wisdom and knowledge. In no way will I ever come to this site trying to stir up anything. It's just not my nature to bite the hand that feeds you.

JacksSnacks
  • Total Posts : 348
Re:ATTENTION VENDORS USING OR WANTING TO SELL IN FRONT OF LOWES OR HOME DEPOT - Thu, 03/5/09 11:50 PM
I went to our local Home depot last august, just after I got my health permit. The manager looked at my as if I had three heads when I asked if I could setup. I didnt know about the streeteat place back then, I just wanted to sell a hot dog or 300!

Curbside Grill
  • Total Posts : 3916
Re:ATTENTION VENDORS USING OR WANTING TO SELL IN FRONT OF LOWES OR HOME DEPOT - Fri, 03/6/09 2:47 AM
Ok my little thought on the subject. If Lowes or Home Depot thought that money could be made here with food why don't they have a food court as sams and the big Walmarts.  Even Office depot, Staples don't have food. that is also people trying to get in and back to work.People have hard time picking up food with a 4x8 piece of plywood under their arm, just be right back after I set this in the truck. And then, thats to far to walk back to, so lets go to drive thru. 
These are all business people, they know mkt.ing and how to attract customers and keep them there and sell them more. I don't think they leftout food in the equation.
You are dealing with 3rd parties, weather and economy at this point. I'd run.
<message edited by Curbside Grill on Fri, 03/6/09 2:58 AM>

Curbside Grill
  • Total Posts : 3916
Re:ATTENTION VENDORS USING OR WANTING TO SELL IN FRONT OF LOWES OR HOME DEPOT - Fri, 03/6/09 5:02 AM
Talking about business, had to find  the name again, know how to get there. But small town, TN and I mean small, they had the foretought for food vending. This is not rocket science. Anyway astronomy is over my head. Furniture store, been there(3 times) food is good and on weekends crowded. And you don't think the big guys have thought about this. They look at what sq. footage cost against return.
http://www.hencofurniture.com/whistlestopcafe

Hey as before office places, little coffee/donut pastries kiosk, could work, but you know they investigated this themselves. They don't want to be bothered. So they go thru a 3rd party that approached them and said why not. Someplaces maybe work  but for the majority ,no.  Think they worry about you,think again, 3rd party collects your over the top rent, they worry about licensing, and all the big stores have to do is make sure they get rent from whoever.
<message edited by Curbside Grill on Fri, 03/6/09 5:39 AM>

MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 1929
Re:ATTENTION VENDORS USING OR WANTING TO SELL IN FRONT OF LOWES OR HOME DEPOT - Fri, 03/6/09 6:32 AM
No disrespect is intended, but this site isn't and never has been easy to search (the phrase "needle in a haystack" comes to mind), so it doesn't bother me if someone brings up a subject that has been discussed before.  

georgiadogs
  • Total Posts : 362
Re:ATTENTION VENDORS USING OR WANTING TO SELL IN FRONT OF LOWES OR HOME DEPOT - Fri, 03/6/09 7:50 AM
I am sure, among other reasons, that Lowes and Home Depot do this so that in the event that the vendor makes anyone sick that it can't be tied to them, therefore there can be no lawsuits naming them responsible. Then there would also be having to run your store and make sure that the vendor comes in on time.

Dr of BBQ
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:ATTENTION VENDORS USING OR WANTING TO SELL IN FRONT OF LOWES OR HOME DEPOT - Fri, 03/6/09 9:10 AM
I don’t know that it’s all that hard to search a topic here. I'd admit it takes some time but, I typed in lowes and the 3rd link is
www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=381523&high=lowes                                                  
Uncle Vic mentions that you have to go through Street Eats in the 2nd response.
So then I searched Street Eats,  not much luck there.
But then I searched “Selling hot dogs at lowes” and got the thread
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=240716&high=Selling+hot+dogs+at++lowes
In this thread EddyBees Dogs  offers this link: http://www.streats.net/default.asp
And in this thread Tex Grill wrote: “ I have been setup at a Home Depot here in Houston area for the past 7 weeks. E-mail me if you have any questions.

admin@texgrill.com     Ronnie

So I don’t see big problems with the search engine.

By the way if continue reading you’ll find this from (Ronnie), Tex Grill

Put together a nice packet. This will go in front of a planning committee I would think. This is what I did when submitting an application for my Special Use Permit for Home Depot. It took me 6 months to get the Home Depot account that I worked for 7 months. I left because I made more at catering and festivals.
Ronnie

Hillbillyhotdog
Re:ATTENTION VENDORS USING OR WANTING TO SELL IN FRONT OF LOWES OR HOME DEPOT - Sat, 03/7/09 4:22 PM
Good Lord!  Dr. of BBQ, my comment was to get people to send letters, the searches you pulled don't mention this.  I have been reading your comments for at least 6 months, and as you have been made aware, you are quick to judge someone for not finding their answer in the archives.  Why not just close the site down, and leave up the archives, if it's all there already?  Then you wouldn't have to read it anymore.  Just thinking of you.

But to update everyone: The actual CEO of Lowes did contact me, he stated that the problem was with the managers of the stores than the vendors.  Managers change often, then some new managers have problems with vendors and get bull dozed by them...  Some managers were allowing way too many vendors outside. 

He stated that with 1700 Lowes stores only 350 have vendors.  Wonder Why?

He did say another company handles the Lowes stores out west, this company franchises the spots for 40 to 60K.

He said he would personally review the www.streats.net website, he was unaware of the hoops one must go through and was unaware of how they are less than helpful with discussing rates prior to paying them $50 and going through all their BS.

He also stated that Lowes receives approx. 1.5 Million a year in revenue from Streats.  This includes some vending machines and some restraunts in 4 of the corporate buildings.

No solution for me, but it made me feel better that he cared enough to call.

A special thanks to Bill and Mellowroast!

Ben

Hillbillyhotdog
Re:ATTENTION VENDORS USING OR WANTING TO SELL IN FRONT OF LOWES OR HOME DEPOT - Sat, 03/7/09 4:53 PM
AMEN!  If you have read the posts on here for anytime, you will find that the DR takes it personal when someone asks a question that could be found in the archives.  I have read some hilarious rebuttals against his and others snide remarks.

Let's all hold hands and sing cum bi ya or something like that.

Everyone here is here to learn and help others.

Ben

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:ATTENTION VENDORS USING OR WANTING TO SELL IN FRONT OF LOWES OR HOME DEPOT - Sat, 03/7/09 5:35 PM
Curbside Grill

Ok my little thought on the subject. If Lowes or Home Depot thought that money could be made here with food why don't they have a food court as sams and the big Walmarts.  Even Office depot, Staples don't have food. that is also people trying to get in and back to work.People have hard time picking up food with a 4x8 piece of plywood under their arm, just be right back after I set this in the truck. And then, thats to far to walk back to, so lets go to drive thru. 
These are all business people, they know mkt.ing and how to attract customers and keep them there and sell them more. I don't think they leftout food in the equation.
You are dealing with 3rd parties, weather and economy at this point. I'd run.

The Home Depot near my house has a concession built inside. Originally it was a small cafe that was accessible from the inside, they have since made it where it's a walk-up window/counter. There has been a concession in that store since it's been there over 12 years that I know of.