New burger joint in Nashville

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
  • Reward points : 0
New burger joint in Nashville - Thu, 03/5/09 11:03 PM
For any of you old-timers, you already know the location.  It's the little building where Hap Townes held court for so many years, next to Greer stadium. There are still sayings of Hap Townes on the walls.  It's now called Gabby's Burgers, and is only open for lunch.  I ordered a standard burger, fries, and drink, just to establish a benchmark.  He throws a big meatball on the griddle and flattens it with a spatula. The bun was a high-quality, but cold burger bun.  He uses good ingredients, fresh lettuce and I really liked the pickle slices. The fries are spiced with more than just salt and pepper, but I couldn't identify what else was added.  His row of condiments was very well done.  There were 6 or 8 hot sauces, along with homemade wasabi-mayo , a spicy ketchup, and several different mustards.  He didn't ask how I wanted it cooked, and it came out pretty much well-done. Next time, I'll ask whether that's optional.  The Coke products were served in an old-fashioned post mix, rather than the nearly universal bag-in-a-box.  The old five gallon cylinders produce a better tasting drink, in my opinion. He's only been opn a week or two, and at 11:30 this morning, there was a long line clear out the door. He seats about 16, just like Hap Townes did, and I suspect the old man would be pleased with what has become of his place.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9548
Re:New burger joint in Nashville - Fri, 03/6/09 1:14 AM
It'll really be a hit if he serves Collard Greens, Black Eyed Peas and Mac & Cheese with your burger!

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
Re:New burger joint in Nashville - Fri, 03/6/09 5:48 PM
The only sides are chili, fries and sweet potato fries.  He also has homemade lemon cake and banana pudding.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9548
Re:New burger joint in Nashville - Fri, 03/6/09 8:52 PM
I lived in Brentwood TN from 1979-83 and STILL can vividly recall the great food at Hap Towne's. That's why I thought it would be a great idea if the new owners put something on the menu that would connect back to Hap's place!