ALDI Food store

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Fire Safety Admin
2009/03/07 06:16:27
We just had Aldi's open in Knoxville.  I have never shopped there but it appears that it is a definate no frills store.  They have eggs at $0.49 per dozen and milk at $1.99 per gallon.

You pay a nominal charge for carts and bags and you bag yourself.

I have never been there.  Anyone have any experience?

Thanks

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/07 07:57:07
Aldi's have been around for ages, in fact the town I live in is their US Corporate headquarters. They started in Germany and are quite common there. Their new stores are pretty nice but many years ago they were considered "slum" stores. Aldi's is run by the Albrecht family, a branch of which owns Trader Joe's. No frills, good prices but hit and miss on what's in stock, they buy in huge bulk so you never know what finds you may get.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/07 08:46:50
Paul,

They opened here in St Pete a few months ago.  Worth the trip once in a while-----they do have some good prices on certain items, but a lot of brand names you have never heard of.  As Kland said it is hit and miss-----don't bring your grocery list. 

Carts are 25 cents but you get your quarter back ---- bring your own bags and don't look for help.  Just shop til ya drop !!!!!

Tedbear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/07 09:29:24

Paul--I can verify the preceding posts.  Aldi is filled with bargains, but you never really know exactly what you will find there.   Most of the goods are their own private label products, but occasionally you will see some name-brand items.   Their own label goods are of decent quality, but overall, you can't necessarily count on finding even some fairly "standard" supermarket items, simply because of the changing mix of products. 

In essence,  it is sort of like a treasure hunt.   Yes, you should bring your own bags, unless you want to pay for bags, but as was already stated, the 25 cent shopping cart charge is, in essence, a rental fee to ensure that you put the cart back in the cart corral.  And, they don't take credit cards.  I rarely use cash, but Aldi is one place where I make an exception, simply because there is no alternative and because I do like their prices.

In NJ, Aldi--unfortunately--has the aura of a Ghetto store, as they tend to be located in...not the best neighborhoods.  However, the prices are so good that I do drive to one every couple of months to restock some of my dependable Aldi favorites.  Among these items are their version of A-1 Sauce (indistinguishable from the genuine article), and their German dark chocolate, which is excellent quality at an amazing price.  They also carry imported German stollen and some other baked goods that are far cheaper than what you would find in a regular supermarket.

One of the items that I found recently was their version of Ro-Tel canned tomatoes with green chilies.  I have not yet opened any of the cans, so I cannot report on the quality, but if their other products are any indication, these should prove to be as good as the genuine Ro-Tel brand.

So, I would suggest an expedition to check out the place.  However, just be aware that the location could be a bit dicey.  If I recall, you own a Caddy and a Corvette, so you might want to hitch a ride there with a neighbor who drives a Hyundai Accent, or something else that is  less tempting to potential car thieves!

6star
Filet Mignon
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/07 09:46:56
We have 3 Aldis in our area.  Most of their brands are their own private label; some are as good as national brands, some not as good. (I don't care too much for their "Clancy" brand stuff.)  A lot of their specials that they run in their ad are very good (and good price) and some are a once-a-year or a once-in-a-lifetime special.  (I liked their various oriental vegetables in glass jars very much, since you could use just the quantity you wanted and refrigerate the rest.)  The produce they run in their ad seems to be good quality also, like good solid heads of lettuce.  Some of the non-food items they run in their ads are OK, but most of it is "dollar store quality" merchandise.

With Wally World jacking up a lot of their food prices, I think Aldis are getting a lot more business.
Sneetch
Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/07 13:02:54
i really like Aldi, but it's usually a supplemental shopping destination, not a primary one. if i plan accordingly, every other week or two i can get away with shopping only at Aldi and the local farmer's market. i like feeling like Shoprite/Stop and Shop/A & P are not my only overpriced options, and as others have siad there are alot of Aldi-brand items that are excellent. Tedbear - i found their version of Rotel tomatoes and chilis to be fine. i also like their dried fruits, dry roasted peanuts, and baking ingredients.
claracamille
Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/07 13:08:38
I have been shopping at Aldi's for years.  Mostly I get staples there- flour, sugar, salt, cooking oil, eggs, milk, half & half, sour cream, butter,cream cheese thick sliced bacon, center cut ham slices, cheese,cold cuts, ground beef, wheat bread, hamburger & hotdog buns canned tomatoes, green beans,chili beans, frozen veggies & friuts.  I like their produce-  head & romaine lettuce, green-yellow-red peppers, mushrooms, zuchinni, grape tomatoes, onions, carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower.

I like their jams- orange marmalade, black raspberry, strawberry.  I don't buy any meats or pountry other than ground beef & center cut ham slices. 

I like the easy in /easy out of Aldi, I have these mega grocery stores where the dairy products are 1/2 mile from the front door.  I like saving money at Aldi's so I can afford  to shop at my other favorite stores- Trader Joe's & Fresh Market.  I also have a great local butcher that I can get custom orders-oxtail, bone in chuck roast, etc. 
David_NYC
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/07 15:41:52
Those prices quoted by Sundancer are no doubt grand opening loss leaders. However, even established stores sell those staples as well as baked goods at rock bottom prices. They resemble the ones I first visited in Germany. In fact, even that unique cashier station is just like in the German stores.

Their house brands are easy to spot. They all have an address of Batavia, Illinois on them.
tarragon
Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/07 16:01:16
There's an Aldi just a few blocks from me, so I do shop there from time to time. As others have mentioned, they are hit and miss on some things, but do have very good prices. I've had no problem with any dairy items, all of which are much less expensive than a chain grocery store (1 lb. butter for $1.99!); their baked goods are fine as well and yes I've gotten their stollen before and it's been tasty as well as cheaper than in a regular supermarket.  The fresh fruits and veggies you have to look at closely but they're usually a good choice and again less expensive.

I don't buy any meats there and lately they seem to be carrying more "name" brands, although that does not necessarily indicate the product will be good. I got some peanut butter crunch cereal once that I just did not like (their version of Capt. Crunch peanut butter), and then there was the time I got a box of frozen fruit bars that were horrendous tasting--so bad, I had to throw them all out after one bite! The hit-or-miss aspect. Yet, I get my canned milk there for my coffee because it is -much- cheaper ($.65 a can when it's $1.19 and higher in the Safeway!!). YMMV.
kathy_in_wlsv
Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/07 23:46:14
I've been shopping at Aldi's for 30+ years.

At times its been well worth it to drive 35 miles one way to shop there.

Now its just 20 miles and I have to be in that town  every week anyway.

Start out small. There is some Aldi stuff we have tried once and never tried again.. but then again how far wrong can you go with name brand Klondike bars for 1/4 the price of regular grocery stores?

Kool Aid  type drink for about 1/3. Bread for far far less than  regular stores, milk at $1.69.   Dairy, eggs, produce all great prices. but again TRY it once...

the Aldis brand sliced american cheese slices  didnt melt well. And we wont use their  spaghetti sauce or their paper products or soaps.

We shop at Sav a Lot first, then our local TOPS because its just a mile away, then if we are already going to that town, Wegmans and Aldis.

mjambro
Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/08 09:23:10
We have had a local Aldi's for about a year.  While the selection is limited to primarily staples & typically varies day to day, they tend to have very good quality at rock bottom prices - typically better than Super Walmart & chain grocer sales.  Most items tend to be house brands,  but the quality is typically superior to other house brands.  It's unlikely you'll beat their milk & egg prices while their produce is typically quite good.  Snack items are well priced.  As a treat, I typically pick up their fresh flowers, also at a very good price which last as long as those at double the price elsewhere.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/08 10:54:15
I have shopped at Aldis once, and would more often if it was closer.Excellent place for staples-if you dont mind generics. Milk and egg prices cant be beat.And the produce they carry( minimal variety) is fresh and inexpensive compared to the regular grocery.I would recommend a trip over there just to see what you think!
Robearjr
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/08 12:19:54
There are a few in Baltimroe, but I've never made it inside.

Out of curiosity, what do they charge for bags?
brittneal
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/08 12:47:49
They charge a dime for a heavy duty plastic bag that over 2X the size of a grocery bag, plus theyre reusable.  Always rmrmber one thing-all items carry a money back satisfaction garrantee.
The meats arent too bad depending on what you get.  We buy the corned beef brisket for as low as $1.49/lb.  The produce is not refrigerated but keeps well as they go thru it so fast.  Mushrooms are usually .99/8ox.  The chickens are laways good as well.  Its up to .69/lb for whole chickens.
You can also get some odd bargins on special.  I bought a nice 8mg pixel camera, with batteries/charger, flash, 2 1/2" screen, usb cable and carry case and tripod for 49 bux.  The memory card was 9 bux extra.  It takes nice pictures.
Green bell peppers are .99/3pack and a mix of red, green and yellow is $1.39.
Its great to stock up on staples.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/08 16:31:01
A number of years ago, I walked into an Aldi's store, intending to do my weekly grocery shopping. After seeing nothing but unfamiliar off-brands on the shelves, I walked out and have never been back. Call me old-fashioned ( and I am! ), but I like brand-name products.
David_NYC
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/08 19:01:38
nocarolina

A number of years ago, I walked into an Aldi's store, intending to do my weekly grocery shopping. After seeing nothing but unfamiliar off-brands on the shelves, I walked out and have never been back. Call me old-fashioned ( and I am! ), but I like brand-name products.

Aldi's problem is that do not use their own name as a house brand. A lot of their house brands (with those joker brand names) are made by the same folks who make the same item under supermarket house brands. However, these private label makers often have two quality grades. Often Aldi buys the low grade. If you remember the generic and "No Frills" food kick from around 1980, that is what you often get at Aldi.

jeepguy
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/08 21:06:42
 Aldi stores in the Chucago area are everywhere- not just in the "bad" neighborhoods as someone suggested! Their house brand, Kirkwood, has buffalo wings that are great! They come mixed in a box of about 12-15 and are NOT breaded! They're uncooked so just a little while in the oven and you're good. I buy frozen shrimp there and a few other things. A couple months ago i bought a 4GB SD card there for $4.99! The place has some great stuff!
drpep
Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/08 21:16:13
 If you like to clip coupons don't bother with Aldis, they do not accept them.
ken8038
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/09 15:12:35
This has been an interesting thread. I've been seeing Aldi stores here and there in NJ for years but never thought to go in one. I just assumed it was some chain (think C-Town) that tends to locate in or near not-so-great neighborhoods. I never realized they were anything different from that.

Lo and behold after checking thier website, they have a location in South Plainfield, all of a 12 minute drive for me. So, it being a rainy Monday and having off today, I took a quick drive over there. It was pretty much as you all described, although this particular store seems pretty new and the neighborhood is lower middle class but not run down at all. I spent about $20 on various stuff, some of which seemed to be real good buys.

So, thanks, I now have another interesting food shopping option when I have an hour to kill, round trip including shopping.  
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/09 15:28:53
We have an Aldi's on the east side of Cincinnati in a middle class to upscale shopping area known as Eastgate and it is situated next to a Sam's and close to a Walmart - I have been there once upon a time and found it to be as mentioned here.
Beer&Snausages
Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/12 18:20:47
There is a new one that opened about a year ago in Reisterstown in the old Giant store off of Reisterstown Road just south of Franklin Blvd.
jeepguy
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/12 20:21:52
drpep

If you like to clip coupons don't bother with Aldis, they do not accept them.

Mostly non brand-name products so coupons aren't available.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/13 09:21:25
Just to clarify, Aldi started out some 25 years ago in the not so great neighborhoods to provide basic groceries at cheap prices. In the last 5 years or so there has been an expansion with new stores in more upscale areas while still keeping affordable prices. It's a hit or miss deal on what they have, once during the winter they were even selling chain saws! I know people who have bought cameras, computers and appliances from Aldi.
stricken_detective
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/13 12:18:55
The new stores in the nicer areas are bigger & cleaner, but the prices are also higher.
David_NYC
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/13 15:03:16
Its been a while since I looked at Aldi's website. They improved it with features such as the weekly deals that they sell until they are gone:
http://www.aldi.us/

Also, a lot of Europeans put up humorous videos about Aldi on Youtube. A lot of these videos feature cellphone camera views inside Aldi stores. Note how similar they appear to the US stores. Just search for 'Aldi'
jimcor
Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/15 20:10:11
Aldi just recently opened in Lexington, KY, so far only one store. They have enough bargains on lunch meat, cheese, eggs, canned goods and produce that it pays me to drive across town to the store. Plus it is a completely new facility, from the foundation up, and it's spotless. The quarter deposit on the shopping cart (down south it's called a 'buggy') keeps the parking lot clear of obstacles so you don't have to play dodge 'em carts. Forget your shopping bags? Grab a box for free if available, or bite the bullet and buy a heavy duty paper bag for .06 or an  oversize plastic tote for a dime.

I've been pleased with the quality of Aldi's offerings and only wish they had everything I shop for so I wouldn't have to visit the other grocers I patronize.

Our Aldi is right off the Beltway behind a Chevy dealer, nothing wrong with the neighborhood.
Robearjr
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/15 21:59:31
It is interesting how something as small as a quarter makes people return their carts to the proper place or six cents makes people reuse plastic bags.  It goes to show how powerful monetary incentives can be even when the money involved would seem to be insignicant.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/15 22:24:23
..I used to get 2 cents for pop bottle returns in the 50s..everything is relative..
MellowRoast
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/15 22:37:45
I've been but won't return.   They sell mostly ALDI house brands (probably 80%), and I'd rather take a beating than buy them.   Also, paying extra for bags and deposits for shopping carts is a hassle I'd rather not go through.

I already have to stop at 2 or 3 different markets to get the brands I want, and I don't relish adding another one.

jman
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/15 22:57:51
jimcor

Our Aldi is right off the Beltway behind a Chevy dealer, nothing wrong with the neighborhood.

Nothing wrong with that neighborhood?  Look at the daily police blotter and it's full of crimes committed in that area.  They put the Aldi in one of the highest crime areas of Lexington.  I sure wouldn't let my wife or daughter run over there to pick up milk and eggs, not even in the daytime, much less after dark. 

It may be clean now, but unless they employ a big janitorial staff, it won't stay that way.

stricken_detective
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/16 00:48:35
MellowRoast

I've been but won't return.   They sell mostly ALDI house brands (probably 80%), and I'd rather take a beating than buy them.   Also, paying extra for bags and deposits for shopping carts is a hassle I'd rather not go through.

I already have to stop at 2 or 3 different markets to get the brands I want, and I don't relish adding another one.

The Aldi house brands are made in the same factories as the name brands you are going to 3 different stores for. Only the labels are different. I bring my own bags to Pick N Save & Sentry, so there is no change there. As for the cart, I always take my cart back to the store, so it's one extra step to get the quarter back.

For me it's annoying as well to have to go to 3 different stores to get the things I want. Sentry has the tea I like & the low sodium microwave popcorn. Pick N Save has most everything else & Aldi's has staples.

I would not purchase paper towels, tp, plastic bags, facial tissue, cleaning products, shampoo, etc @ Aldi's. I'm picky like that.

Any fresh or frozen veggies or fruit is good. Their cheeses are good, they have bagged spinach & milk & now they even have soy milk. Their cereals are good & the one thing I love there is these frozen salmon fillets. Just the right size & very good. I would use the produce within 3 days. You can get a lot of food for 30 bucks when you're in a pinch financially, and you can do a lot better there if you are not watching your sodium.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/16 00:54:47
One thing that has surprised me is that our canned mushrooms now come from India and China!
brittneal
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/16 01:08:10
Youll find most stuff with a label that saus Aldi Foods Batavia Il.  I dont think they are all processed there.  Its probaly a supply nexus.
We got 2 5oz cold water lobster tails for 10 bux a couple of weeks ago,  They were excellent.  I also like the collasl shrimp they have at times.  Either bacon wrapped or a larger shrimp thats fanned on the shell like a lobster.
They aalso have the TGIF bacon wrapped scallops.
mjambro
Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/16 08:42:40
It's a shame many apparently can't take advantage of the low pricing at Aldi's.  Ours is located on a main road of strip malls, next to a Lowes where it's easy to access with minimal concerns about crime (less than a typical mall lot).   Taking two boxes for packing is no big deal & saves on the cost / recycling of bags.  While most items are their own brand, we've found most to be equal (and sometimes better) than branded - at geatly reduced cost.  Their produce is the same as chain grocers, but again at substantially better pricing, although we've not been all that pleased with their fresh meats. 

Their frozen shrimp is a good deal, especially considering most all chain grocer shrimp is previously frozen.  Our local Aldi's beats even Super Walmart pricing.   A once-a-month stop to stock up on staples (alternating with Walmart) has helped keep our grocery costs comparable to lower vs. past years while alternating between two chain  grocers for meats, bread and other preferred items not found at Walmart or Aldi's.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/16 09:21:25
brittneal

Youll find most stuff with a label that saus Aldi Foods Batavia Il.  I dont think they are all processed there.  Its probaly a supply nexus.

I live about 2 miles from the Aldi headquarters in Batavia, Il. It is a warehouse and their corporate offices.

jimcor
Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/03/31 17:17:34
Bought the Aldi's "Carlini" extra virgin olive oil, I'm no EVOO expert, but this one tasted pretty darn good, bit of bitterness on the finish, but many olive oils have that taste. Anywho, for $4.29 a real bargain for the 500ml, little under 17 ounce, bottle.

An Australian site rated it 'good' (Aldi is worldwide) and that was just under 'vg' the top spot.

Yeah, I'll buy it again.
post edited by jimcor - 2009/03/31 17:26:24
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/04/01 05:50:30
ALDI's just opened a new store in Knoxville and out of curiosity, I drove about 20 miles to explore what they had.  I have seen other ALDI's in other cities and this one seemed to be a cookie cut of the others that I have visited.  Same concept exactly.

They sorta remind me of a huge convenient store except they have much cheaper prices and somewhat of a limited inventory especially with fruits and veggies.

Pretty obvious that they are a German store as a good portion of their products are advertised in both German and English.

If I lived close to one, I would use them due to some of their prices but they are too distanced for my personal use.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN 
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/04/01 15:00:23
I like Aldi's. They have been expanding in this area quite a bit. I don't mind recycling bags, or renting a cart. The prices are lower, and the stores around here are clean and the staff helpfull. The store brands are hit or miss, tried a few, Tortilla chips=miss Hummus=hit. Often they have name brand products for a week or two. The locations here go so far a computers, kitchen appliances,and a floral assortment. Sure you have to go elsewhere for a good deal of your groceries, I don't mind the savings I get there, and the "suprise" goodies you run across. This week they had German Easter treats.
SeamusD
Double Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/04/02 10:58:29
I shop there on occasion, we have them all over the place in central NY. There are three I know of that I can drive to in under 10 minutes. None of them are in what I would call "bad" neighborhoods either, mainly in areas with other grocery stores, malls, etc.

I really like their sloppy joe mix, and their bread items are comparable to many of the other grocery store brands, but less expensive.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/08/26 12:33:32
I hear they are coming to Long Island (Queens).
David_NYC
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/08/26 13:05:18
kozel,
That is great news. From time to time, Aldi brings in some really good European food products, not the stuff the gourmet stores sell but the same items as sold in European food markets. Do you have any more specifics?
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/08/26 13:23:25
how are their parkview smoked and regular brats? They have them at our local Grocery Outlet right now for $1.99 a package.
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/08/26 14:33:09
Maybe Aldi's has changed, but I stopped going years ago, because they basically only sold pre-packed foods - not much in terms of fresh ingredients. Since I love to cook, Aldi's was not my thing. But, it was a great place for cheap frozen dinners a la Swansons, but with Aldi's brand name.

mjambro
Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/08/27 10:02:15
While Aldi's does have a limited selection, we find them a worthwhile stop about every 2-3 weeks to take advantage of their low pricing on milk, eggs, frozen shrimp (all shrimp in NE is frozen at some point) and well as selected fresh fruits & vegetables (lettuce, carrots, pepers, potatoes, watermelons, strawberries, pineapples, etc) and some canned fruit (their pears & peaches are actually decent, especially for the price).  We've not tried many of their packaged foods (we tend to stick with fresh) and don't care for their type breads, but we have liked their refrigerated baby back ribs and find their taco chips & fresh salsa to be decent (far superior to Tostitios, etc), again at a great price.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/08/27 10:48:16
I made their "Joy of Cooking" Fettuccine Carbonara the other night and it was as good as any I've ever tasted anywhere. I also enjoy their guacamole.
Michael_Germany
Double Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/08/27 14:25:18
Greetings!

On a regular basis I buy at the local ALDI:

Bread / Toast (Daily fresh)
Beer (Maternus Pilsener)
Frozen Fish & Seafood
Canned Food
Irish salted Butter
Frozen Chicken Wings
Dutch Gouda Cheese
Ice Cream
Candy
Sometimes Non-Food (Digital Pocket Camera 10MP, Kitchen-Hardware, etc...)
Never fresh Eggs, Fruits, Vegetables... (Weekly Market)

ALDI Germany North:
http://www.aldi-essen.de/

Regards

Michael

P.S. The local ALDI is located in the middle of our town, no crime area here, sometimes 1-2 winos near the trolly stand, but they are harmless, waiting for a little donation, or a bottle of beer, pitiful folks...

50 % of the ALDI customers come with their bicycles, like me, using the car for short distances, for a small purchase, is not very popular here in Germany, its bicycle area here...

post edited by Michael_Germany - 2009/08/27 14:49:08
BJames
Junior Burger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/08/27 16:15:10
The Aldi brownie mix is the best, better than any name brands I have tried. Its what got me shopping there in the first place. One of the people at work would always bring in her "special" brownies and people would beg for the recipe. One afternoon during a moment of weakness she confided that the brownies were made using the Aldi mix. They also have some pretty good low fat/low calorie items. Just look for their private label healthy choice stuff. I find it’s a great stop for staples like flour, butter, milk, cereal and eggs for other items I still shop at a regular grocery stores or Trader Joes.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/08/27 16:46:27
I found we have an Aldi's about 15 miles away in the next county. Next time I head that way I'll stop and check them out.
Michael_Germany
Double Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/08/27 17:01:46
Greetings!

All the bread, toast, cake, the fresh stuff the local ALDI sells, is baked just 11 kilometers from here, in our neighboring town Westerstede. The quality of all baked goods is excellent, if you consume it within one week.

A whole loaf of wheat toast is 0,49 Euro Cent, 6 Berliners, topped with powdered sugar is 1,69 Euro, a current bread with raisins (Rosinenbrot, 400 Gram) is 0.85 Euro Cent. A Sixpack of german beer Maternus Pilsener, 6 x 0,5 Liters, brewed by Becks/Bremen is 1,69 Euro for a sixpack.

300 Grams full fat cream cheese Aldi (Philadelphia...) 0.99 Euro, 250 Grams irish salted butter is 0,85 Euro. 750 Grams frozen Chicken Wings is 2,49 Euro (Very good!!!).

Like always, all this depends on your very own demands, on the money, you are able to spent for your food.

Michael

David_NYC
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/08/27 21:28:17
The American stores are operated by Aldi Süd. They are about the only American food stores that have the same cash registers (tills) as the Aldi Süd stores in Germany.
Michael_Germany
Double Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/08/28 14:12:41
Greetings, Roadfooders!

Here a two part documentary from the 1950s, Familie Müller in Essen.

In part one at 07:23 you see a Albrecht Lebensmittel grocery in Essen, one of the 13 stores, the Albrecht brothers owned together in the 1950s here in Germany.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7F92JG0OSA

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gltZmMDzJ5c

ALDI History:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

Karl Albrecht:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Albrecht

Theo Albrecht:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theo_Albrecht

The Albrecht Brothers

Michael

Michael_Germany
Double Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/08/28 17:10:31
Greetings!

There is a very controversial dicussion about ALDI, and the Albrecht brothers over here in Europe / Germany. Economically priced food, most of it of good quality, on the other hand the Albrecht Brothers, utterly antisocial people, hiding away from the public, like most very wealthy folks do...

It is always a balancing act, to be a ALDI customer, but 99% of the german ALDI customers are not aware about all this.

"You cant take it with you when you have to go!"

Michael

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/08/28 17:43:44
Michael, never saw your bier here but it is Friday and I'm having a cold one. I'm done with work and I'm enjoying a Wernesgrüner. Ever have one? They say the Brauerei was founded in 1436. That is before Columbus met my ancestors! Ein prosit. Good Aldi bier.
Edited to add a picture.

post edited by MilwFoodlovers - 2009/08/28 17:45:08
Michael_Germany
Double Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/08/28 18:06:14
Greetings to Milwaukee!

"Wernesgrüner" is a trad. german brewery, founded in the year 1436.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wernesgr%C3%BCner

Homepage:
http://www.wernesgruener.de/

It was one of the most popular beer brands in the former DDR/GDR (Deutsche Demokratische Republik), a very nice and tasty beer, mostly not av. in our northern german area...

Cheers to you, enjoy your Wernesgruener!

Kind german regards

Michael

kozel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/08/30 12:21:46
David_NYC

kozel,
That is great news. From time to time, Aldi brings in some really good European food products, not the stuff the gourmet stores sell but the same items as sold in European food markets. Do you have any more specifics?

Sorry David, I missed your question.  I saw the comment in Newsday and I think it was on August 25th.  I didn't clip the article and I can't find any information on Newsday or Aldi's site.  I don't recall the location but I seem to think it was in eastern Queens.

From Aldi's site on real estate development, they refer to Tom Hornstein (315-569-4345) as being responsible for NYC Metro & Long Island.  You may try contacting him.

David_NYC
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/08/30 12:58:57
OK, thanks, kozel.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/09/22 07:19:11
David, looks like it may be Douglaston.  Read the comments on this blog.

http://queenscrap.blogspo...coming-to-mystery.html
Johanna
Junior Burger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/09/22 10:33:36
Hi,  we shop at Aldis twice a week here in Germany, and therefore we know what to buy there and what cannot be found there.

Most items are cheaper than in other supermarkets.

The Founders are brothers and divided their territory, German North and South, one is in Austria and so on....

They buy in large quantities and get most things cheaper, it is said here, that they treat their staff better than other supermarket chains, but I do not have first hand info.

David_NYC
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/09/22 10:46:47
Thanks, Kozel. I haven't been able to find out for sure myself. Aldi had a hiring session held at the Marriott at LaGuardia Airport, but that yields no info. I am familiar with that Waldbaums in Douglaston, but it is probably still open and is much too big for the typical Aldi. An Aldi is roughly the size of an old Bohack. On this forum, they are guessing Atlas Terminal:
http://www.queenscentral.com/forums/topic.php?id=2651
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:ALDI Food store 2009/09/23 06:07:49
Bohack!  I collect Bohack stuff; but that's another story.  

Atlas terminal!  I used to live a block away.  What I hear is that Atlas is on the skids.
post edited by kozel - 2009/09/23 06:09:20
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2