White Manna

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:White Manna 2009/10/13 14:05:27
I'm very late to this discussion, but I recently visited White Manna in Hackensack, sat at the counter and observed the grill while I ate.  My observations:

- Each burger is cooked to order, and starts with a lump of raw ground beef.  Nothing special or artisinal, it comes from a giant commercial vaccuum packed bag (fresh, not frozen).  A double is nothing more than a bigger lump of meat. 

-The raw lump is pressed onto the griddle and flattened by the cook.  If you want onions, he presses a handful of raw onion slivers into the raw lump. After a few minutes, the flattened lump is flipped, cheese is added, and the top of the bun is placed on top to steam.  A few minutes later, the whole thing is flipped upright onto the bottom of the bun, and it's presented onto a paper plate with a handful of pickle slices. 

-It's my opinon that reason these burgers are so damn fantastic has little to do with the meat.  It's all about the soft potato bun, the onions cooked right into the meat, and the well-seasoned griddle. 

-They do in fact have hard rolls.  They're used for cheesesteaks.  I can't imagine why anyone would EVER order a cheesesteak in this place, as they're nothing more than frozen Steak-umms, but one was ordered while I watched.   

-The fries come out of an unseen location in the back room, and they are not worth your time. 

This place is a gem.  Hall of fame material.  Roadfood personified.  If I knew about this place way back when I got married in Hackensack, it would have been my first stop off the chuppah.

post edited by Pigiron - 2009/10/13 15:59:33
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:White Manna 2009/10/13 20:22:31
Here is a youtube clip of White Manna...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEccdJKg7sQ

I love White Mana in Jersey City. Maybe it is the lifetime of fun memories.
Pigiron
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:White Manna 2009/10/13 21:44:57
CCinNJ

Here is a youtube clip of White Manna...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEccdJKg7sQ 

That's just about where I sat.  A beautiful thing to watch. 

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:White Manna 2009/10/13 23:00:39
I just watched YouTube's White Manna clip and I'm really sorry that I did. Why? Because I've gotta have some of those burgers and the damn place is eight hundred miles away, that's why! 
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
Re:White Manna 2009/10/31 11:28:09
I think a big part of the experience is the anticipation. I went there on a Sunday aftenoon the day before it was featured on Diner's Drive-in's and Dive's and had to wait in line for an hour before I got my food. The smells off the grill were amzing and the jealousy I felt towards the customers ahead of me made the first bite once I got my burgers incredible. As for the White Mana in Jersey City, I've eaten there before and don't like it anywhere near as much. The burgers are the same small patties, but the rolls are way too big and the burgers get lost in them. I agree that the potato rolls at the Hackensack location make the burgers.

Dave
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial