Pics from NE PA meet up

Filet Mignon
2009/03/15 22:51:54
Joerogo put together a meet up with buffetbuster, his cousin John, stanpnepa, and myself.

We started early, before 8AM... Tony's in Kingston PA.

A Fat Bastard:

Stan waits patiently, his guardian angel on his shoulder:

Italian eggs benedict, on the plate of joerogo:

I ordered the Fat Bastard, although I thought I was ordering the Italian Eggs Benedict (I pointed and said, "I'll have THAT," thinking they were both the same). It was different; lots of unexpected flavors in there, maybe a little cinnamon and nutmeg. Good stuff.

At that point, I had to go to work. The following gap represents the 9 hours that bb, John, and Joe went separate directions while I toiled:

I caught up with everyone that night, at Ghigiarelli's (pronounced "gingerellies"):

Mr and Mrs Rogo, our most gracious tour guides:

Ghig's is the same as it was when it first opened in 1277; the paneling, the linoleum, the fixtures, the bar, it is all unchanged.

Bb and cousin John; John looks like he is ready to pack it in for the night, but he is a mangiatore of the first order, and was with the program to the end:

I was late coming from work; they had already finished the tripe and the sofritto by the time I arrived, and the pizza was on the way!

Ghig's red is characterized by a sweet and oniony sauce, a crispy crust, and mild cheese, possibly brick or jack. It was spot on tonight, perfectly balanced:

Ghig's white, actually ALL Old Forge white, is best described as a grilled cheese pizza sandwich with rosemary:

I love the white, others aren't so sure.

To be continued...
post edited by Mosca - 2009/03/15 23:55:23
Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/15 23:39:59
We then walked across the street to Revello's. Revello's is also pretty much as it's always been, a Roadfood joint. In order for both places to survive so close to each other (and to Arcaro & Genell's, right next to Ghig's and cattycorner to Revello's), they each have to be different, yet both good, and both part of the distinctive Old Forge style. Revello's most recent claim to fame is a visit from our now Secretary of State H Clinton when she was campaigning for president... she sat right over there ------>

In addition to the pizza, we ordered the gnocci with meatballs and a side of sausage. Bb and I thought the gnocci was a little pasty, but John thought it was excellent. Everyone thought the meatballs and the sausage were both excellent:

The pizza is different than Ghig's; no onion, and the cheese is creamier, possibly a blend of jack and American. Although buffetbuster preferred Ghig's, he found Revello's to be edible:

I have a standing order, every time I am in Old Forge I have to bring home a tray of Revello's red and a tray of Revello's white... I scored the 'za, and it was on to the fabled Ooh Ooh Bird Cafe!

Joe schmoozes up our cook for the night:

We ordered the taco bake special... an order of garlic and butter wings, and an order of hot wings... a basket of fries... the fancy salad that came with the taco bake... and, a chili cheeseburger!

The taco bake is the very definition of comfort food. Your mom served you this in an alternate version of your childhood:

The salad was killer, but we just picked at it because, well, it was a salad, fer chrissakes:

The wings are possibly the best I've ever had. They were huge, and meaty, and tasted like chicken rather than just a vehicle for the sauce; and they had a great texture, nice and crispy on the outside.

Garlic and butter wings; think that is enough garlic?

Hot wings; not very hot, but really good. There was some different flavor in the back  of the sauce, I kept trying to place it and finally said to myself to stop thinking and eat:

And here is where it ended. After 15 hours, buffetbuster was done. Notice the chili cheeseburger sits untouched; Mrs Ooh Ooh wrapped it for him to go. To be completely fair, I spent the middle of the day working, everyone else was dining....

It was truly a grand time! Luzerne County is friendly, and Joe knows a lot of people; during the evening, folks came over and shared the revelry of the St Patrick's Day weekend, which is a really big deal around here. Scranton has the third largest parade in the US, behind NYC and Boston, and on parade weekend everyone here is Irish!

I'm sure that everyone else will add their photos; obviously, I have none of me! It was a stone cold blast, though!
post edited by Mosca - 2009/03/16 14:11:43
kb612
Junior Burger
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/15 23:52:58
Righteous report, Mosca.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/16 02:33:57
Now that's a nice looking couple!  No guys, I don't mean you.....

Wings look great.  That Old Forge cheese pizza with rosemary looked really good, too! 

Thanks for the pictures!  Looks like you all had a terrific time.

Penn State country huh.....For a minute, I thought I even saw JoPa....
poutine
Junior Burger
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/16 04:57:01
Hi, Bev here..great pics! One question...what is that white and brown thing in the salad..looks rolled up. Thanks.
sammur
Cheeseburger
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/16 08:09:39
Mosca, Great report and photos. Just wanted to clarify that Savannah has the 2nd largest St Paddy's celebration. Erin ga braugh. 

March 17

Next week folks around the world will celebrate in honor of St. Patrick, perhaps Ireland's best-known patron saint. In the U.S., New York is home to the largest St. Patrick's Day parade, but what you might not know is that the second-largest parade is held in Savannah, Georgia. And, of course, in Chicago, they'll be turning the Chicago River green. Parades will be held around the country, most between the March 14 and March 17.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/16 08:11:44
On the news here in Pittsburgh, they always say that we have the second largest St. Patrick's Day parade, behind New York.  Consider me skeptical.  Boston's and Chicago's has to be bigger than ours.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/16 08:12:25
Hey,nice report guys. Looks like you had a great time and great food. That Taco bake looks good!
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/16 08:24:29
What, no closeup shot of the chilicheeseburger?

The photo of BB reminds me of a Stephen King story.  I can't remember the title but it features a piece of machinery known as "The Mangler"...

Brad
Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/16 08:48:40
Regarding the St Patrick's Day parades, this might bring some clarification  (and confusion) to the subject, as to how folks measure such a thing. From Saintpatricksdayparade.com:

"We [Scranton] are the second largest parade in the country, as measured by participants per population of the city in which it's held*. Savannah, GA is first, New York City was third."

*For cities with a population over 50,000

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/16 09:47:46
Great report and even better looking food!
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/16 10:03:37
Hey Mosca,  What a great time!!!  Even though this was the first meeting for all of us, it was like we were old friends.

I am in MA. right now, and I forgot my camera at home.  I will post my pics tomorrow.

BB, You will have to check out this bakery on your next trip.  I can't believe I forgot about it.  I was reminded by this article in our Sunday paper.

http://www.timesleader.com/pittstondispatch/notes/Business_just_fine_on_Main_Street__Avoca_03-15-2009.html

Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/16 10:32:42
poutine

Hi, Bev here..great pics! One question...what is that white and brown thing in the salad..looks rolled up. Thanks.

Bev, it was some kind of antipast' thing, cured meat and cheese rollup. I tried one, but I was in a wing daze and don't remember what it tasted like.

Brad_OlsenWhat, no closeup shot of the chilicheeseburger?

Alas, not all pictures came out usable. I'm pretty sure bb or Joerogo or John got some, and I hope to see what happened while I was at work!

FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/16 13:06:59
Looks great....wish I could have joined you!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/16 13:12:19
Mosca-
Beautiful photos and great descriptions.  It is a shame you don't get to travel, because you would post some wonderful trip reports!!!  As for the photo of me stuffing my face, that one I could do with out.  At least there isn't another slice of pizza in my left hand.

post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/03/16 14:12:06
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/16 13:42:07
I'm pretty sure the chili cheeseburger was ordered just to get a picture of it.  ;)

That is a really terrific trip report Mosca; it looks like y'all had a blast.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/16 21:37:02
Nancypalooza

I'm pretty sure the chili cheeseburger was ordered just to get a picture of it.  ;)

That is a really terrific trip report Mosca; it looks like y'all had a blast.

Hey Smarty!!!

Cliff took pics of the chili cheeseburger.  Let's see how he did
Benzee
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/16 22:26:27
Hello all ,

Great trip report sounds like you all enjoyed yourselves . Let me know when you plan another one becasue come July I will have some spare time on my hands , well maybe not with another one on the way Hahahha .

As far as the parades go , I have marched in the St. Pats parade  NYC , Boston , Chicago City and Chicago South Side and Savannah parades along with Rockland , Orange , Staten Island , Bronx you get the idea .

As far as pure enjoyment  besides NYC , of course , I really have to say the Chicago South Side parade was for me fantastic . Marched in 95 and 96 .

As far as biggest I do believe Savannah comes in second to NYC .

Benzee
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/16 23:21:11
Excellent report!  You guys know how to eat.

Thanks for sharing with us.
poutine
Junior Burger
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/17 03:31:16
Thanks..couldn't quite make it out. Enjoyed the report!

Mosca

poutine

Bev, it was some kind of antipast' thing, cured meat and cheese rollup. I tried one, but I was in a wing daze and don't remember what it tasted like.

Brad_OlsenWhat, no closeup shot of the chilicheeseburger?

Alas, not all pictures came out usable. I'm pretty sure bb or Joerogo or John got some, and I hope to see what happened while I was at work!

doggydaddy
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/17 06:50:15

Just curious. What did the Fat Bastard and the Italian Eggs Benedict look like before they exploded on your plates..? What was in them?
The pizzas look great in their own unique way.
On the other hand, I do not believe in putting celery in a salad and that is a overwhelming amount. "Would you like some lettuce with your celery..?"

mark

joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/17 07:19:31
Hey Mark,

Mosca was late, breakfast waits for no man

Buffetbuster will have pics of the food as it hit the table. 

Joe

joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/18 13:50:47
To me, nothing beats breakfast at Tony's. Incredible food and atmosphere.

I left most of the food picture taking to Mosca and Buffetbuster. After breakfast and a good bull session we gathered outside Tony's for a photo.(Mosca had already returned to work)

Pictured is Me, Johnny, Stanpnepa and Buffetbuster.

Stan, Mosca and I all have the same problem at home. Our wives all like Olive Garden. Stan got his wife away from OG by comparing the food to Lean Cuisine. Mosca and I will have to try that approach.

After Tony's we went to The Majestic Lunch in Pittston for burgers and dogs. In business for over 100 years! No food pics, but here we are in front of the majestic.

Oh and here is Johnny, telling Cliff to hurry up and take the darn picture, I'm hungry.(Yes, Cliff and Johnny also had milkshakes))

At this point, Buffetbuster and Johnny went to Charlie's Pool Room in Jersey and I caught up on some work. A pie stop also occurred during this intermission.

Then it was on to Ghig's. Here is a shot of Mosca zeroing in on a cut of white pizza.

Here is Buffetbuster and Johnny getting ready to try the gnocci at Revello's.

That's all I have.

Not a bad meal all day, makes for a very good day!!!!
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/18 15:06:56
Nancypalooza

Nancy

I know BB the chili chesseburger was prolly the midnight snack!

stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Pics from NE PA meet up 2009/03/18 15:13:10
Great meeting everyone---Joe Rogo, Mosca and I all live within fifteen minutes of each other, and finally got together.

Sorry I had to cut it short---parade day is busy for us, but it was great getting together and helping BuffetBuster and cuz get to restuarants #2456-#2460 on the  list!  (Incredible!)

I like the idea of a summer picnic run---as there should be at least three within a reasonable drive---in addition to our great restuarants. 

BB, also interested in how you found the Old Forge Pizza of Revello's and Ghig's compared to the mini-market pizza from years back!