Weekend in Northeast PA

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 104 of 104
mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Wed, 04/8/09 11:03 AM
Great report. Nice to read about everyone's adventures.

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2929
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Thu, 04/9/09 12:44 PM
We stopped in for breakfast today; Jimmy was as ornery as ever, but not as rushed. I had the Italian eggs Benedict, Mrs Mosca had an O'Reilly omelet, my daughter had a Tony McMuffin. All awesome. This  is a top breakfast spot.

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Fri, 04/10/09 6:34 AM
Would you please explain those dishes?

(Italian eggs benedict, O'Reilly omelet and Tony McMuffin)
<message edited by MiamiDon on Fri, 04/10/09 6:48 AM>

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4462
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Fri, 04/10/09 9:15 AM
MiamiDon

Would you please explain those dishes?

(Italian eggs benedict, O'Reilly omelet and Tony McMuffin)

Don't tell him Mosca!  Let's make him come up here and try them himself.

Just kidding Don.  The Italian eggs benedict is, Italian toast with eggs, capacola, cheese, onions, hot peppers, sweet peppers and sauce.  I never tried the other two.

Mosca
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Fri, 04/10/09 9:58 AM
An O'Reilly is a pizza omelet; mushrooms, onions, peppers, pepperoni, mozzarella and red sauce. Tony McMuffin is egg, cheese, bacon, peppers, onions, potatoes, on an English muffin, red sauce.

The red sauce isn't like pizza or spaghetti sauce; it's thin and peppery.

joerogo
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Sun, 04/19/09 7:01 PM
Karl Rove enjoys his first "Fat Bastard Omelet!!

http://www.timesleader.com/opinion/Rove_talks_politics_04-19-2009.html

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Mon, 04/20/09 1:01 PM
What a nice report, and nice dialogue between the attendees.That Italian eggs benedict sounds great, Joe.

Mosca
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Mon, 04/20/09 3:37 PM
joerogo

Karl Rove enjoys his first "Fat Bastard Omelet!!

http://www.timesleader.com/opinion/Rove_talks_politics_04-19-2009.html

Well Joe, you know that Jimmy forgives Rush Limbaugh for being so liberal...

(I don't care about the man's politics; good food trumps all.)

zippokat
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Thu, 06/11/09 9:30 PM

The 12 slice pizza is rectangular.  We always get a small pie with the "works" plus shrimp - it takes forever to make it and it weighs a ton - super deliscious!

xwafflesx
  • Total Posts : 29
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Fri, 06/12/09 9:25 AM
It's really cool to see the Majestic Lunch on here!  Through genealogy work we found out that my great grandfathers brother owned a well known confectionary shop in this building.  He was there from the late 1800's to the early 1900's when a guy bought it and turned it into the diner.  They even had a framed newspaper article talking about the history of the place and how it was purchased from my great grandfathers brother.  It was pretty neat to travel down there and see that article.  The daughters of the owners were really nice and found it amusing that we were descendants of the original owner. 

HPlatz
  • Total Posts : 103
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Sun, 06/28/09 5:10 PM
Great thread here.  Minor point of order though, going back to the OP, the fried potato appetizer you enjoyed at Marrone's are mini bleenies, not beenies.  Bleenies are known to be a large attraction at fire company and chuch block parties throughout the summer in the PA Anthracite Region.  They are a lot of work to prepare and a hot, dirty job to cook, but the bleenie lines at these summer block parties are of two varieties: long and longer.  Not Italian cuisine, either.  Bleenies are Eastern Euro but Marrone's apparently knows how devoted bleenie eaters are.  I've never had bleenies from Marrone's.

I am a Girardville native, well familiar with the greatness of Marrone's, Centiole's, and Tony's Lunch.  Girardville's got three of the best Roadfood joints in Eastern PA and all within two blocks of each other on the same side of the street, in a town of maybe 2200 people.

stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Sun, 06/28/09 6:38 PM
Great report & awesome pics, guys! I felt like I was there. Would love to try the Italian Benedict or Fat Bastard.

And Ghigherelli's looks awesome.
<message edited by stricken_detective on Sun, 06/28/09 6:39 PM>

joerogo
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Sun, 06/28/09 6:46 PM
xwafflesx

It's really cool to see the Majestic Lunch on here!  Through genealogy work we found out that my great grandfathers brother owned a well known confectionary shop in this building.  He was there from the late 1800's to the early 1900's when a guy bought it and turned it into the diner.  They even had a framed newspaper article talking about the history of the place and how it was purchased from my great grandfathers brother.  It was pretty neat to travel down there and see that article.  The daughters of the owners were really nice and found it amusing that we were descendants of the original owner. 

xwafflesx, Great story!  Do you know the name of the confectionary shop?

HPlatz
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Sun, 06/28/09 7:46 PM
ken8038

Thanks for posting this trip. I've been to that area a few times and am always confounded by the peculiar operating hours of NEPA's culinary landmarks. Only open on certain days, certain hours, hardly ever open during daylight...all sorts of quirks.

In fact my one time in Girardville, I had planned to spend about  2 hours of a day trip there but was zero for 4.  Marrones and Tony's Lunch don't open until around 8:30PM (what kind of a place called Tony's Lunch does not open until 8:30 PM??), an old bar called Hibernian Tavern looked like it was closed tight (is it still in business) and I could find hide nor hair of Texas Lunch.

Similar in Old Forge: I was there on a Saturday at lunch time and only about 1/3 of the "cuts" places were open.

Anyway, if you guys decide to do this again, please let me (us all?) know, I'd love to be a part of it, and as I've said before, The Ooh Ooh Bird is on my Must-Do list.

Finally, someone asked about Old Forge Pizza. I first became aware of it a few years ago via Lew Bryson's Beer Blog (one of my favorite blogs) wherein he and his pals take a day trip to NEPA. About 1/2 way down there is a description of Old Forge Pizza. Sounds like they had a good time:

http://www.lewbryson.com/nepahotdog.htm 

Hey Ken, you are quite correct regarding the operating hours of a lot of these places.  Pretty sketchy at best.  I can tell you that Tony's does in fact open at 8:30 PM or thereabouts and stays open till sometimes 2:30 AM or later, but nothing is set in stone.  They used to be completely closed on Mondays, but I don't know anymore, that was years ago.  The Hibernian House is also known as Wayne's, Joe Wayne proprietor.  He kinda opens and closes when he feels like it, but forget about going in there in the daytime, for sure.  Your best bet would probably be Thursday, Friday or Saturday nights, but not too late.  If it's a slow night, he's likely to just put everyone out and close the shop.  I can tell you without any fear of contradiction that there is no restaurant in Girardville called Texas Lunch.  Maybe you're thinking of a different town.  I never heard of anything like that in the area at all.

Waynes is cool.  Strong Irish theme, he has pennants of all the counties in Ireland hung around the place.  Old time wooden bar.  Has a jail cell door in there from his great-grandfather's cell before he was executed back in the 1800's after the civil war.  Look up Jack Kehoe, sort of a labor leader of the era when the mines were booming and the companies were screwing the miners blue.  That's the short story, there's way more to it. 
Here is the URL of a vid that features Joe in the environs of his gin mill if you'd care to look.  He's in this twice, the first appearance at 1:40.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRoVTu2izx0

<message edited by HPlatz on Sun, 06/28/09 10:31 PM>

Baah Ben
  • Total Posts : 3026
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Sun, 06/28/09 8:04 PM
Meat balls in the Fat Bastard omlet?

joerogo
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Sun, 06/28/09 8:11 PM
Baah Ben

Meat balls in the Fat Bastard omlet?

OY VEY!  Don't you start

HPlatz
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Sun, 06/28/09 9:16 PM
One other thought on these Girardville places...Gville has recently in the last 5 or 6 years developed a well-attended and pretty big deal St. Patrick's Day Parade of its own, sponsored by the Hibernian House's affilitaed AOH Division, the Jack Kehoe division.  Two years ago, before Hillary Clinton got out of the Presidential race, President Bill Clinton was the Grand Marshal of the parade and throngs, I mean tens of thousands showed up to meet the President.  Mr. Clinton paid a visit to the Preisdent of Girardville Boro Council where he was treated to the trinity of Girardville cuisine:  Centiole's and Marrone's pizza, and some Tony's screamers.  Youtube has quite a number of vids of the President's visit for the parade you can check out.  For those who have been to this little town, you should know that this was a big, big deal, no matter what you may or may not have thought of Mr. Clinton.

quijote
  • Total Posts : 643
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Sat, 07/11/09 10:44 PM
Awesome report! So much of that food looks great, but I'm particularly intrigued by the Village Farmer place. But then again, I love lots of pies. Reminds me of a certain place in Pewaukee recently....

joerogo
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Thu, 08/27/09 1:18 PM
I had dinner at Ghig's the other night, and for the first time I checked out some of the newspaper articles that were hanging on the walls.  This one details the history of Ghig's and the start of Old Forge Pizza in the early 1900's.  (Just an FYI, I don't think it's ledgeible)

But they also had an article written by The Stern's, paying tribute to Pepe's White Clam Pizza.

Hey Guys, how did we miss this stuff on our visit?

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1559
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Thu, 08/27/09 9:32 PM
HPlatz

Hey Ken, you are quite correct regarding the operating hours of a lot of these places.  Pretty sketchy at best.  I can tell you that Tony's does in fact open at 8:30 PM or thereabouts and stays open till sometimes 2:30 AM or later, but nothing is set in stone.  They used to be completely closed on Mondays, but I don't know anymore, that was years ago.  The Hibernian House is also known as Wayne's, Joe Wayne proprietor.  He kinda opens and closes when he feels like it, but forget about going in there in the daytime, for sure.  Your best bet would probably be Thursday, Friday or Saturday nights, but not too late.  If it's a slow night, he's likely to just put everyone out and close the shop.  I can tell you without any fear of contradiction that there is no restaurant in Girardville called Texas Lunch.  Maybe you're thinking of a different town.  I never heard of anything like that in the area at all.

Waynes is cool.  Strong Irish theme, he has pennants of all the counties in Ireland hung around the place.  Old time wooden bar.  Has a jail cell door in there from his great-grandfather's cell before he was executed back in the 1800's after the civil war.  Look up Jack Kehoe, sort of a labor leader of the era when the mines were booming and the companies were screwing the miners blue.  That's the short story, there's way more to it. 
Here is the URL of a vid that features Joe in the environs of his gin mill if you'd care to look.  He's in this twice, the first appearance at 1:40.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRoVTu2izx0

Hey thanks for that information on Girardville, I just noticed it now, sorry for not responding sooner. Interesting video too, thanks! ---Ken

myterry2
  • Total Posts : 526
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Thu, 08/27/09 9:57 PM
I think I died and went to heaven with this report....it was an excellent report with lots of quality pics.  THANX.

joerogo
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Sun, 11/8/09 9:10 AM

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9774
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Sun, 11/8/09 9:18 AM
Joe, what a shame to read about this place closing.  Johnny and I really enjoyed our visit to the Ooh Ooh Bird.

joerogo
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Tue, 11/10/09 9:39 PM
One last trip to The Ooh Ooh bird.  The wing were as good as ever.

I am really going to miss this place.

Nancypalooza
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Wed, 11/11/09 5:46 AM
That is sad, man.  Now I will never get to try that chili cheeseburger.

joerogo
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Wed, 11/11/09 7:20 AM
Nancypalooza

That is sad, man.  Now I will never get to try that chili cheeseburger.

Oh Nancy, I had one last night.  There was a tear in my eye as I took the last bite.

I took a picture, but won't dare post it

buffetbuster
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Wed, 11/11/09 7:46 AM
joerogo

I don't know, Joe.  That is a fine photo of their excellent wings! 

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Wed, 11/11/09 8:45 AM
buffetbuster

joerogo

I don't know...the color seems a bit off. 

Sorry to read that another place I really wanted to try is off the map. Maybe the story in the paper will inspire someone to take over and keep it going.

joerogo
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Wed, 11/11/09 4:24 PM
Tony Bad

buffetbuster

joerogo

I don't know...the color seems a bit off. 

Sorry to read that another place I really wanted to try is off the map. Maybe the story in the paper will inspire someone to take over and keep it going.

Everybody is a critic these days

You have until Saturday to make the trip.  I'll save you a seat. 

In fact, my wife just agreed to go again tonight. 

joerogo
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Thu, 11/12/09 8:00 AM
Since I have been known to be a glutton for punishment at times, here is last nights chili cheeseburger with raw onions from the Ooh Ooh Bird.

Now I just hope Greymo doesn't see it.

buffetbuster
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Thu, 11/12/09 8:06 AM
Joe-
Among my things to do in the next couple of months is to head out your way for a Baby Penguins hockey game.  Any chance we could get the group together again for some Fat Bastard omelets and/or Old Forge pizza?

Tony Bad
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Thu, 11/12/09 9:43 AM
joerogo

Since I have been known to be a glutton for punishment at times, here is last nights chili cheeseburger with raw onions from the Ooh Ooh Bird. 

I fixed the photo so there should be no complaints...

joerogo
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Thu, 11/12/09 9:49 AM
buffetbuster

Joe-
Among my things to do in the next couple of months is to head out your way for a Baby Penguins hockey game.  Any chance we could get the group together again for some Fat Bastard omelets and/or Old Forge pizza?

Hey Cliff, Just give me a date and I'll start working on it. 

joerogo
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Thu, 11/12/09 9:56 AM
Tony Bad

joerogo

Thanks........Pal

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Fri, 11/13/09 8:24 AM
Tony Bad

joerogo

stanpnepa
  • Total Posts : 574
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Wed, 12/16/09 9:06 PM
Roadfood Souvenir Alert - from the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre craigslist.   This could be a fun sale.

Indoor yard sale Saturday from 9 am to 1 pm at the former Ooh Ooh Bird Cafe, 724 Tunkhannock Ave., Exeter, PA.

Bar and restaurant things: coolers, tv's, beer glasses, ashtrays, dishes, etc.

See you WOW!

Call Tiny at (570) 407-xxxx for more information

Tony Bad
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Wed, 12/16/09 9:13 PM
stanpnepa

Roadfood Souvenir Alert - from the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre craigslist.   This could be a fun sale.

Indoor yard sale Saturday from 9 am to 1 pm at the former Ooh Ooh Bird Cafe, 724 Tunkhannock Ave., Exeter, PA.

Bar and restaurant things: coolers, tv's, beer glasses, ashtrays, dishes, etc.

See you WOW!

Call Tiny at (570) 407-xxxx for more information

Rumor has it that old Joe Rogo ate too many chili cheeseburgers that last weekend and has been stuck on a bar stool since the closing. Wonder if he is part of the sale?

I had really wanted to try this place. Sad to see it is another one I missed.

buffetbuster
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Thu, 12/17/09 2:46 PM
Stan-
Thanks for the info.  I think this would be a cool item to have.

Too bad this place is closing.

stanpnepa
  • Total Posts : 574
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Thu, 12/17/09 7:51 PM
BB -
Great picture.    How much are you willing to spend?? 

The neighborhood newspaper FINALLY got Tiny to reveal the story behind the name "Ooh Ooo Bird Inn".    It was coined at a Penn State Bowl Game about forty years ago as someone accidentally sat on a tacky gift they purchased to take home  - one of those stretched glass birds.   "Ooh Ooh Bird...In(n)"!!!    Almost sounds like a joke you'd hear at a Dean Martin Roast!

joerogo
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Thu, 12/17/09 8:04 PM
To soon to joke, I'm still in mourning.  I still have a tear in my eye over this closing.

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1559
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Thu, 12/17/09 9:04 PM
Wow, for once I actually got to a place BEFORE it closed. Sorry to hear this.

It's in the running for my Bar of the Year award (Awarded annually to the best bar/restaurant that's new to me each year). Usually there are about 50 to 100 candidates per year, been doing this for over 30 years.

joerogo
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Tue, 11/2/10 11:57 AM
AHHHHH!!!!! Dio Bello!

Italian Eggs Benedict from Tony's.  You can never get tired of eating or looking at this!

dobrosky98
  • Total Posts : 26
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Tue, 11/2/10 10:26 PM
I remember going to the Bird when I was much younger.  My mom lived in Pittston on Spring street, above the pet store.  I remember my cousin calling me one night to tell me Costello's had burned down.  I love your  posts, but you make me home sick!!  One of my best memories is going to Irene's out at Lake Silkworth with my poppy and then he would drag us over to Jiggers for what seemed like forever.  We always left with a t-shirt.  What I would give for one of them now!!

joerogo
Re:Weekend in Northeast PA - Wed, 11/3/10 8:24 AM
dobrosky98

I remember going to the Bird when I was much younger.  My mom lived in Pittston on Spring street, above the pet store.  I remember my cousin calling me one night to tell me Costello's had burned down.  I love your  posts, but you make me home sick!!  One of my best memories is going to Irene's out at Lake Silkworth with my poppy and then he would drag us over to Jiggers for what seemed like forever.  We always left with a t-shirt.  What I would give for one of them now!!

dobrosky98, Nice to have another Pittstonite here.  Spring Street that ends at the fire department?

I remember the first time I went to Jigger's, what a shack!  We ordered beer and Jigger went out the open back door.  He came back in with some of the coldest beer I ever had in my life.

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 104 of 104