Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question!

Junior Burger
2009/03/30 16:02:02
Hi, I have a small "snack shack" style take out wing restaurant.  I have been in business 3 weeks or so and have yet to figure out how to pre-cook wings and hold them in a manner where they are servable to my customer.  Anyone have any insight for me?     I've heard to cook them at 350 for around 10 minutes, then recook them for another 5 minutes when ordered,,,   does that sound right?   And if so,  how do I hold them until they are ordered?
Thanks!
Scott
Foodosaurus
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/03/30 16:13:55
To me, pre-cooking doesn't seem worth it.  I worked at a Pizza Delivery Restaurant that did large amounts of large orders of wings, and they weren't pre-cooked.

The fresh wings would come in and get cut into thirds, discarding the hand.  They would be kept in cheese tubs in a cooler, and the one in use would be under one of the make lines, closest to the Deep Fryer.

They would get dropped, up to 25 in a basket, for 9 minutes at 350 °. 

So even if pre-cooked wings only take 5 minutes, what does that really save in the long run?  And what does the overall taste lose in the long run?
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/03/30 17:38:59
Never heard of pre-cooking wings.  I'm all ears.  Would love to learn more about this

jellybear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/03/31 07:56:56
Bake in oven at 350 for at least thirty minutes ,cool then cook in fryer for ten minutes till crispy.Thats the way I roll.
Foodosaurus
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/03/31 08:27:29
jellybear - What does this accomplish?  I think what the poster was asking was how to get the wings out to their customers faster.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/03/31 08:41:58
Well, if you had that all done ahead of time, perhaps it would get the wings out to the customer faster...I would think so.

Jellybear - Do you let them refrigerate after the oven process?  Do they stick together?  I'd think this might yield a nice crispy skin in the final cooking process in the fryer.

Was this your own idea or did you see it in a recipe?
jman
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/03/31 08:46:18
Who flagged this as inappropriate. and why?  Am I missing something?
Foodosaurus
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/03/31 08:55:14
Even without baking; it only takes 9 minutes at 350 ° in the deep fryer.  They come out nice and crispy.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/03/31 09:31:36
jman

Who flagged this as inappropriate. and why?  Am I missing something?

First: it wasn't me.

Second, it doesn't belong in the "consumer" section, it should go in the "restaurant professionals" section. But smcguire1 is a new member and I'm sure was guessing.

I have no clue how to do what he wants, but I hope he figures it out and makes a great wing.
JayL
Cheeseburger
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/03/31 09:47:30
Bake for 30 minutes and then fry for 10?!?  What the heck is that gonna do beside totally ruin a good wing?

Wings, depending on size, can be fried from their raw state anywhere from 7-12 minutes and be fully cooked.  Hell, you'll have breasts and thighs nearly done in 12 minutes!  Those tiny tiny wings don't take near as long.

No need to bake them at all.
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/03/31 10:28:08
You don't pre-cook chicken wings, or get them anywhere near the oven - just deep fry them for about 10 minutes and shake them in a bowl with a mixture of melted butter and Franks' Hot Sauce then serve them with celery and bleu cheese dressing.

Take it from a native Western New Yorker who's eaten at the Anchor Bar for years - make wings any other way, and you're making a crappy wing-like product.  Your customers will thank-you.
jellybear
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/03/31 14:48:14
OK ,All you Pros,Pre cooking them shortens the time frying themThey also come out crisper,I worked in a Sports Bar and thats the way they done it and yes they put them it the fridge when they cooked them.Ten minutes is not a long time ,I said that because I use JUMBO WINGS not those little tiny ones like you get at the Anchor Bar.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/03/31 15:49:54
Jelly Bear..I like the idea..I will try it once time and see what happens...For small sized wings, I guess it doesn't make sense.

I only like the big wings, but that's because I only eat the drumstick part.  Everyone loves when I order wings because they get half my order for nothing.

We use to only get wings from one supplier in Pennsylvania because they always had the biggest wings.  We use to get them from Wholey's.  We sold them by the lb with fries, celery sticks and bleu cheese (I had the Anchor Bar's BC recipe..terrific). 

We would have to explain to the customers that sometimes they'd get fewer than 10 pieces per order because of the size of the wings.  They understood and were quite happy sinking their teeth into the bigger wings.   You'd be surprised how many customers actually count their wings.....

We butchered our fresh wings and used the wing tips to make soup stock.  I don't like the whole wing fried up..Some Chinese restaurants fry up the whole wing...
jellybear
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/03/31 21:36:47
I'm sorry,I should have specified.If the Wings are small theres really no need to Par bake.But the big ones really need to be cooked twice.
exsquidao
Cheeseburger
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/03/31 21:49:58
2 ?'s if the msg is "flagged" as inappropriate why is it and why is it still there.

jabber811
Junior Burger
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/04/01 00:09:56
I own a sports bar in Oswego, NY and we pre-cook our chicken wings.  I use Mountaire jumbo chicken wings that are fresh and never frozen.  We pre-cook the wings for about 8-9 minutes and then keep them in the walk-in at 34-38 degrees until we need them.  When an order is placed, the wings get cooked for 4 more minutes and then the appropriate sauce is applied and served with carrots, celery, and Ken's Buffalo Bleu Cheese dressing.  From my customers response, we serve a pretty good chicken wing.

Now, why do we do this?  For starters, it only takes 4 minutes once the order is placed.  This speeds up the kitchen process.  I've waited over 20 minutes in some restaurants before for chicken wings.  Second, fresh wings do a number on the oil in the fryer.  We go through about 500-600 pounds of chicken wings a week and by pre-cooking them, we can change the oil once a week and not have the oil always burnt.  Personally, I don't know if there is a difference in taste, but in my restaurant it's easier on the kitchen to do it this way.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/04/01 01:52:42
Jabber - Pre-cooking in the oven or in the fryer?
jellybear
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/04/01 07:36:33
Thank You Jabber for explaining that I forgot to mention that about the excess grease from the wings.Ben,Bake them in the oven and don't stir them.
jabber811
Junior Burger
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/04/01 16:35:09
I pre-cook them in the fryer.
Greyghost
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/04/01 18:07:08
Actually, the very best wings are not cooked at all, at least by a cook. Given proper saucing they will cook themselves to perfection every time. My patented hot sauce known as Sauce And Eat will cook 100 wings to perfection with only the addition of a 28 ounce jar of my value priced hot sauce. There is no better or quicker process. 100 wings can be done in 65.48 seconds due to the inherent hotness of the sauce combined with my close proximity to a nuclear waste dump.

Sauce And Eat, it is the pro way to go! In these hard times you will want to order the value pack as you will save on both heating and lighting. Each jar glows with 1060 lumen's of light and 5,000 BTU's of heat. Accept no substitute!

Ahem...it is April 1
beijinger
Cheeseburger
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/04/01 18:27:58
       Please send me 72 jars of sauce and eat. I find it to be an awesome product with a 99.44 % effective lumens to BTU rate. I am a bit concerned are the glass jars FDA approved one jusn cracked on the shelf but we were thinking removing that wall anyway. We now have luxury seating area a great view of what used to be.
Foodosaurus
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/04/01 18:28:59
NICE! Greyghost!
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/04/01 22:55:11
Greyghost

Actually, the very best wings are not cooked at all, at least by a cook. Given proper saucing they will cook themselves to perfection every time. My patented hot sauce known as Sauce And Eat will cook 100 wings to perfection with only the addition of a 28 ounce jar of my value priced hot sauce. There is no better or quicker process. 100 wings can be done in 65.48 seconds due to the inherent hotness of the sauce combined with my close proximity to a nuclear waste dump.

Sauce And Eat, it is the pro way to go! In these hard times you will want to order the value pack as you will save on both heating and lighting. Each jar glows with 1060 lumen's of light and 5,000 BTU's of heat. Accept no substitute!

Ahem...it is April 1

You don't need sauce - just mix Frank's and lime juice, put in the Wings, and VOILA - chicken wing ceviche!
JayL
Cheeseburger
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/04/01 23:52:53
jabber811We pre-cook the wings for about 8-9 minutes and then keep them in the walk-in at 34-38 degrees until we need them.  When an order is placed, the wings get cooked for 4 more minutes...

Now this makes sense, and I'll fully agree with the method.  This is how most "smoked" wings are prepared.  Fully cooked in a bbq pit (smoked), cooled, and refrigerated.  All they need is a four minute flash fry to fully reheat them and crisp up the outside.  This is a proven method.

Even if the wing is pre-cooked, it doesn't take 10 minutes to finish it in a fryer.  Hell I have used FROZEN wings and only fried them for 4 minutes for every single order.  Like I said, 10 minutes will fully cook a wing.  The small ones will cook quicker than that.
post edited by JayL - 2009/04/01 23:55:22
jellybear
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/04/02 07:50:14
Wow,You can take a bag of Frozen wings from the freezer to the table in four minutes!Thats outstanding.What name brand do you use? I'm going out and get Me some today and see if they can be done in four minutes.
doggydaddy
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/04/02 08:56:39
smcguire1

Hi, I have a small "snack shack" style take out wing restaurant.  I have been in business 3 weeks or so and have yet to figure out how to pre-cook wings and hold them in a manner where they are servable to my customer.  Anyone have any insight for me?     I've heard to cook them at 350 for around 10 minutes, then recook them for another 5 minutes when ordered,,,   does that sound right?   And if so,  how do I hold them until they are ordered?
Thanks!
Scott

Hhhmmmm.... You have opened a wing shack and have no idea how to prepare and serve them in a timely manner. Do you have another business plan after this one?
If I were you, I would follow everything that jabber811 wrote, right down to the commas....
Are you adding butter, margarine, Swirl or nothing at all? Is your wing sauce a brand that is already made and ready to use?

mark
edited to add:
The best way to pre-cook the wings is up to you, but try the sheetpan method. Put one layer of them on the pan and cook away. Look at all the water and grease that needs to be drained off. The same liquids will screw up and shorten the life of your deep fat fryer oil.
post edited by doggydaddy - 2009/04/02 09:08:58
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/04/03 17:46:10
I find it odd that the original poster would put something on his Snack Shack menu that he didn't know exactly how to cook well and quickly. Chicken wings are fairly easy to master cookwise, it's the sauce that makes your name for you with wings.
jellybear
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2009/04/07 08:45:38
I made some Wings last night doing the oven method and then ran them under the Broiler and they came out perfect and crispy.
Speedymike
Junior Burger
Re:Chicken Wings, to precook or not, that is the question! 2013/06/23 19:11:00
I wonder whether Smcquire1 is still in business?