Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional?

lornaschinske
  • Total Posts : 1610
  • Reward points : 0
Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Sun, 04/5/09 12:37 PM
We have had several folks asking for mayo on their hot dogs (and a few have asked for it on their Kielbasa).  Is this a regional thing or more wide spread.  We are currently in Southwestern NC and wondered if we will run into this "taste choice" in NM when we move out there this spring.

djtomatoe
  • Total Posts : 197
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Sun, 04/5/09 12:54 PM
i am in  no.calif., and more people use mayo here than when i was in oregon
i would say it is more regional.also more adults here use ketchup...!!!!

hotdog506
  • Total Posts : 53
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Sun, 04/5/09 12:58 PM
i keep mayo on hand for the folks that ask for it.   don't think its a regional thing(as i am in your area).     i may have ten folks a day ask for it and thats a very small percentage of my customers.

BillyB
  • Total Posts : 2851
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Sun, 04/5/09 1:05 PM
To each their own

Curbside Grill
  • Total Posts : 3916
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Sun, 04/5/09 1:14 PM
Mayo runs in small numbers but people ask for it.
Might 2 today and 25 next week
Oh have to add the older folks order the most mayo.
Younger Ketchup
NM  roasted red pepper mayo

Why are moving from franklin
<message edited by Curbside Grill on Sun, 04/5/09 1:38 PM>

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Sun, 04/5/09 1:40 PM
You gota have mayo here in Texas. And pickled jalapenos for chili dogs.
Joe

Methais
  • Total Posts : 142
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Sun, 04/5/09 2:50 PM
People in Louisiana will think you're crazy if you don't put mayo on a hot dog. Or on everything for that matter. Even breakfast cereal. Ok maybe not quite that bad.

I even know someone who puts mayo on their spaghetti <vomit>.

PapaJoe8
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Sun, 04/5/09 3:11 PM
Methais, a fusion deal, Tx/ La...  Jalapeno Moyo! I use it for all kinds of stuff at my house, including hot dogs.
Joe

jbs780
  • Total Posts : 43
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Sun, 04/5/09 4:55 PM
That's A big 10-4 on mayo on dogs in Louisiana!  That's...normal.

Methais...ever get over to BR?

I hang out at the CC's on Coursey a good bit. 

juanito_mandujano
  • Total Posts : 26
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Sun, 04/5/09 5:04 PM
it also depends on how you make the dog.  We like to eat what we call a "TJ style hot dog" because they are similiar to the ones you can find being peddled by street vendors in Tijuana, MX.

Those are made with mustard, mayo, ketchup, diced onions and tomatoes, wrapped in bacon and then topped off with a little hot sauce such as Tapatio.

johnnymolson
  • Total Posts : 90
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Sun, 04/5/09 5:53 PM
It has to be regional.  The only time I've ever seen mayo put on a hot dog was at Flo's.  I can't imagine it working well with very many other condiments....and especially not on it's own!  It does work with Flo's relish, however.

PopsDogHouse
  • Total Posts : 779
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Sun, 04/5/09 8:02 PM
We carry mayo on the cart, and get requests for it every day.

RSS72
  • Total Posts : 65
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Sun, 04/5/09 8:16 PM
Mayo every now and then

georgiadogs
  • Total Posts : 362
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Sun, 04/5/09 9:19 PM
Never heard of it till one of our newly adopted kids came. I had the hot dog smorgasboard set up in the kitchen and she asked
'where's the mayo?". I wil put just about anything on a dog but I never thought about that one.

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Sun, 04/5/09 10:15 PM
It is fairly common in Mexico to have mayo on a hot dog.

mamaduck43
  • Total Posts : 184
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Sun, 04/5/09 10:49 PM
I started eating mayo on hotdogs when I was expecting my first child - - about 46 years ago - - and have been eating them that way ever since...  Add a couple of dill pickles and they are really yummy.....

When my #3 child was an exchange student in Sao Paulo, Brasil, dogs were served with a 'pink' sauce - - a mixture of mayo, catsup and chopped onions and pickles - - every barbecue had a bowl of this sauce on the table and I usually mix up a batch when my mayo jar is about 2/3's empty and keep it on hand.....

It is pretty good, too.....

myterry2
  • Total Posts : 526
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Sun, 04/5/09 11:44 PM
I had a Chicago style hot dog place in Houston in the early 90's....about 40% of the dogs went out with mayo.  Also, ranch dressing on at least 60% of the fries.

the grillman
  • Total Posts : 624
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Sun, 04/5/09 11:50 PM
I have never heard of mayo on a hot dog...not anyplace I've ever visited.  Blech!

I suppose you could pervert a slaw dog into a mayo dog, but it still sounds wrong.

Mayo is for chicken salad, tuna salad, the occassional turkey sandwich, especially with horseradish, and a few other things.

But never a hot dog.

Of course, ranch dressing on fries makes me barf, too.  My wife loves it; I can't handle it.  To each their own!

BillyB
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Mon, 04/6/09 8:35 AM
It looks like the things we grow up with make it normal for us. If you have ever tried POI in Hawaii, you will know what I'm talking about. I grew up in a Slovak home and Polish food would look strange to a Italian. Italian food looks crazy to a Mexiacn and so on. The thing is we have different cultures in the USA and what is done in the North is different from the South and midwest. I can't see Slaw or Baked beans on a Dog, But Pops tell me not so fast there Buddy, don't come down south and say that. We all have different tastes, Walk thru a Market in China, Mexico, India, the foods you will see will blow your mind. Mayo may just look a bit normal after that.
   McDonalds went to China and the employees in the restaurants would find the ends of the fries left on the trays. The thing is the Chinese don't eat with their hands so they wouldn't eat the tip they held the fry with. I also saw a Chinese girl try to eat a large Tortilla wrap sandwich one time, that was a trick. I have a hard time eatting them with both hands. I hope she never orders a poorboy in the South....take care.........................Bill

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Mon, 04/6/09 12:46 PM
OK, here's the deal: You can put mustard on a hot dog (never that yellow crud), any of various types of relish, sauerkraut, raw onions, and I'll even allow for chili.  But that's it. Putting anyting else on a hot dog is an abomination in the eyes of the Michael and shall not be tolerated.

I trust I have made myself percetly clear.

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Mon, 04/6/09 12:56 PM
Michael Hoffman

OK, here's the deal: You can put ...   ... and I'll even allow for...  But that's it. Putting anything else on a hot dog is an abomination in the eyes of the Michael and shall not be tolerated.

I trust I have made myself perfectly clear.

Michael,

I am a sinner.

So far I have avoided posting my photos of hotdog abominations based on inexpensive frankenfurters....

mark

Methais
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Mon, 04/6/09 3:13 PM
jbs780

Methais

I live just outside of Baton Rouge (Sorrento). I don't go to BR that much though, but I've been meaning to take a trip over to O'Neal and check out Chicago Al's hot dogs. Ever been there?

jbs780
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Mon, 04/6/09 3:43 PM
Methais

jbs780

Methais

I live just outside of Baton Rouge (Sorrento). I don't go to BR that much though, but I've been meaning to take a trip over to O'Neal and check out Chicago Al's hot dogs. Ever been there?

Absolutely!!!  Great little place!  Al is a good guy and he produces some quality dogs.  I've got some pictures of the place and a couple of dogs I had recently...haven't figured out how to post them here though...I know its easy...just haven't seen how to do it here yet. 

I usually get the signiture Chicago dog and something else...last time it was the Italians sausage with onions and peppers.  They want me to try the meatball Po boy next time in, so that is on the agenda.

This is the kinda place that needs to be on DINERS, DRIVE-INS AND DIVES.

You in the Hot dog bid-nit?  Address, directions to you place!  Wanna come by and chech ya out! 
<message edited by jbs780 on Mon, 04/6/09 3:48 PM>

Methais
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Mon, 04/6/09 3:47 PM

I've got some pictures of the place and a couple of dogs I had recently...haven't figured out how to post them here though...I know its easy...just haven't seen how to do it here yet.

1. Go to photobucket.com and make an account.
2. Upload pictures from your PC to photobucket.
3. Mouse over the picture and copy the IMG CODE line that pops up.
4. Paste here.

jbs780
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Mon, 04/6/09 3:51 PM

You in the Hot dog bid-nit? Address, directions to you place! Wanna come by and chech ya out!

In case you didn't see the addition I made to my previous post...and tjhanks for the photo 411.  looking into that now...will try to hav Chicago Al pics up here soon. 

Methais
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Mon, 04/6/09 3:59 PM
Oh, managed to miss that part somehow. I'm starting up a cart business, yeah. I'm about to call the health dept and hopefully get inspected this week, then I can get rolling.

Soon as I'm legal and opened, I'll be sure to let you know where I'm set up and all that good stuff.

PopsDogHouse
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Mon, 04/6/09 7:15 PM

Methais
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Mon, 04/6/09 7:37 PM
PopsDogHouse

But Chicago Al has mayo too! (I think)  :D

seatown76
  • Total Posts : 379
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Mon, 04/6/09 7:39 PM
I am a sinner as well. I love  mayo on my dogs along with a variety of toppings. I can't speak for it being a regional thing as I was born and raised outside Seattle in the Pacific Northwest which isn't a strong region for hot dogs at all and now live in Wisconsin in the land of Brats and I put mayo on those as well.

lornaschinske
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Mon, 04/6/09 10:21 PM
Curbside Grill

Franklin NC is a dead end place. They only want retirees to live here since they have no kids to "burden" the school system. They are also from places that tend to have higher property taxes so the local county & city government can raise the property taxes & valuations way too high.  Most of the jobs here are based on tourism.  No tourism, no jobs. Things have been rough here. I've lived here off & on since 1965 (along with FL, GA, & TN).  The place never gets better only worse.  I know too much of the "dark side" of life here.  

One of my kids is currently living in Houston, TX but will move back to NM this month (she loves it there). We are taking her sister (twin) along with all their stuff to NM. We decided not to come back since we've always wanted to see the West and David's new profession (hot dog cart) will allow us to move.  Living in an RV full-time helps as well.  We've decided that we want no more winters.  We've spent the past winter here in Franklin & the previous winter in Elizabethton TN.  That's just too cold for an RV.  So we will summer in NM and winter in TX.

As for mayo on the dogs & sausages.... we don't eat it, the customer does.  We'll continue to offer mayo... along with my "homemade" canned chili... everyone here says we have the best dogs & chili they've had!.

Curbside Grill
  • Total Posts : 3916
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Mon, 04/6/09 11:18 PM
lornaschinske

Curbside Grill

Franklin NC is a dead end place. They only want retirees to live here since they have no kids to "burden" the school system. They are also from places that tend to have higher property taxes so the local county & city government can raise the property taxes & valuations way too high.  Most of the jobs here are based on tourism.  No tourism, no jobs. Things have been rough here. I've lived here off & on since 1965 (along with FL, GA, & TN).  The place never gets better only worse.  I know too much of the "dark side" of life here.  

One of my kids is currently living in Houston, TX but will move back to NM this month (she loves it there). We are taking her sister (twin) along with all their stuff to NM. We decided not to come back since we've always wanted to see the West and David's new profession (hot dog cart) will allow us to move.  Living in an RV full-time helps as well.  We've decided that we want no more winters.  We've spent the past winter here in Franklin & the previous winter in Elizabethton TN.  That's just too cold for an RV.  So we will summer in NM and winter in TX.

As for mayo on the dogs & sausages.... we don't eat it, the customer does.  We'll continue to offer mayo... along with my "homemade" canned chili... everyone here says we have the best dogs & chili they've had!.

The dark side I know ex-wife lives there. Thats why it is so cold there.LOL
Just thought you met her and said time to move.LOL
Do you have recipe for "homemade" canned chili.
Mine is #10 Chef Mate/no beans.
Wish you luck on the travel plans.
Where in NM thinking about setting up. 

<message edited by Curbside Grill on Tue, 04/7/09 7:33 AM>

PopsDogHouse
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Mon, 04/6/09 11:23 PM
Curbside Grill

lornaschinske

Curbside Grill

Mine is #10 Chef Mate/no beans.

#1 Restaurant chili

BillyB
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Tue, 04/7/09 8:46 AM
Hey pops, here's your southern dog break down.

PopsDogHouse
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Tue, 04/7/09 9:02 AM
BillyB

Very close.  Only difference is that we dress the dog, not the bun.  I can eat slaw dogs all day long, but can't even take a bite of one with just plain mayo on it.

<message edited by PopsDogHouse on Tue, 04/7/09 9:27 AM>

seatown76
  • Total Posts : 379
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Tue, 04/7/09 9:23 AM
sorry all i see are red x's

BillyB
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Tue, 04/7/09 9:38 AM
PopsDogHouse

BillyB

Very close.  Only difference is that we dress the dog, not the bun.  I can eat slaw dogs all day long, but can't even take a bite of one with just plain mayo on it.

Hey Pops Mayo isn't even on my top 10 choices for a dog. I fry my dogs and I think it would be trying to swipe oil on greese. I have learned in this site not to put anything down, some places in the country just do things a bit different than other places. Have a KIMCHI day

JDofDE
  • Total Posts : 54
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Tue, 04/7/09 10:33 AM
juanito_mandujano

it also depends on how you make the dog.  We like to eat what we call a "TJ style hot dog" because they are similiar to the ones you can find being peddled by street vendors in Tijuana, MX.

Those are made with mustard, mayo, ketchup, diced onions and tomatoes, wrapped in bacon and then topped off with a little hot sauce such as Tapatio.

Also known as a "Sonoran Dog"; big in AZ. Gotta love the diversity of dog toppings. Except ketchup of course.  http://www.seriouseats.com/2008/07/america-regional-hot-dog-styles-coneys-half-smokes-reds-whites.html

lornaschinske
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Fri, 04/10/09 12:39 AM
I use Hormel chili, then mix in a spice blend/thickener I came up with.  We tasted 10 cans of chili (including one that I literally scraped off my tongue... couldn't bring myself to swallow something that tasted that bad) before deciding the Hormel tasted best on the hot dogs we use (Bakers & Chefs All Beef from Sam's Club).  Just needed to be a tad thicker and more spices.  So now David adds my "Original Chili Dawg Helper" spice mix (I make up and put in small bottles so he only has to add 1 bottle per 15 oz can of chili).  We have folks coming back to tell us we have the "best chilli" they've ever eaten (also the best hot dogs).  My favourite one was the guy who told us he hated Hormel chili but he loved ours.

This is our "trial run" before getting serious (although we have picked up a weekly stock car race to set up at.... oh and we got invited to do the local "Tea Party" on Wednesday).  We get serious about this once we get out to New Mexico (about 1 hour south of Albuquerque). We plan on  summering there and wintering in South Texas... someplace.  We are fed up with winter snows, rain & freezing temps and since we live in an RV, we might as well do what we like to do best... go!

PapaJoe8
Re:Mayo on Hot Dog... Regional? - Fri, 04/10/09 1:26 PM
Just goes to show that canned chili can be fixed up so that folks like it.
Joe