Onion loaf(brick).

brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
  • Reward points : 0
Onion loaf(brick). - Sun, 04/5/09 9:57 PM

The picture of the onion straws today reminded ne of then.  We took thin sliced onions that had been in buttermilk and dredged with seasoned flour.  It was placed in a basket with a smaller basket inset tho hold it together while it cooked up golden brown.  That was way before the days of the Bloomin Onion.  Boy its beeen many years since I last saw them.  Anybody ever had them before?

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15061
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Sun, 04/5/09 10:17 PM
That's the way that Tony Roma's used to serve their Onions with the Rib Plates. Some of the Roadhouse style Steak places do their onions that way, As does Famous Daves.

smokestack lightning
  • Total Posts : 301
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Mon, 04/6/09 12:07 AM
The Hackneys restaurants in the north Chicago suburbs have been serving them that way for at least 50 years.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Mon, 04/6/09 12:23 AM
brittneal

The picture of the onion straws today reminded ne of then.  We took thin sliced onions that had been in buttermilk and dredged with seasoned flour.  It was placed in a basket with a smaller basket inset tho hold it together while it cooked up golden brown.  That was way before the days of the Bloomin Onion.  Boy its beeen many years since I last saw them.  Anybody ever had them before?

That's the way Damon's did it back in the late '70s.

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Mon, 04/6/09 4:57 AM

It is a rule that I make the green bean casserole for every important holiday. I make the fried onion topping and they are exactly the same as what we are discussing. Here is my best version:

mark

Michael Hoffman
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Mon, 04/6/09 12:13 PM
Doggydaddy, yours is not the same. The onion loaf I referred to at Damon's was shaped like a loaf -- about four inches across, five inches high and about a foot long -- and  and one has to pull onions from it by hand to eat it. Although you could get a half loaf, which was about seven inches long.

Foodosaurus
  • Total Posts : 622
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Mon, 04/6/09 12:16 PM
A loaf is made in a fryer basket, by packing the onion rings into it.  Therefore the loaf is the size of the basket.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Mon, 04/6/09 12:48 PM
Oh, are there half-loaf size fryer baskets?

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Mon, 04/6/09 12:49 PM

I am comparing mine to the onion rings listed in the Digest. Those are what mine were close to replicating. Mine were that actual color. I used Goya Sazon.
It would be impossible to make a loaf at home. I would not want to deal with a large pot of frying oil. I could do it in a professional setting...

http://www.roadfooddigest.com/post/2009/04/O!-Rings!.aspx

mark

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Mon, 04/6/09 1:20 PM
I fondly remember the Tony Romo's loaf from childhood. Every restaurant should offer thin onion rings or loafs. Good on everything.

Foodosaurus
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Mon, 04/6/09 1:31 PM
MH - Yes.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Mon, 04/6/09 2:03 PM
Thanks.

hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1070
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Mon, 04/6/09 2:26 PM
Michael Hoffman

Doggydaddy, yours is not the same. The onion loaf I referred to at Damon's was shaped like a loaf -- about four inches across, five inches high and about a foot long -- and  and one has to pull onions from it by hand to eat it. Although you could get a half loaf, which was about seven inches long.

I went there for the first time in about 5 or 6 years a couple of weeks ago to watch some of the first round of the BB tournament.  They now have an onion tower.  Not sure what the shape is or how they make it but I can tell you that the food was awful.  It's sad when the best thing you can say about a place is that it has a lot of tvs.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Mon, 04/6/09 2:30 PM
hatteras04

Michael Hoffman

I went there for the first time in about 5 or 6 years a couple of weeks ago to watch some of the first round of the BB tournament.  They now have an onion tower.  Not sure what the shape is or how they make it but I can tell you that the food was awful.  It's sad when the best thing you can say about a place is that it has a lot of tvs.

I stopped going to Damon's more than ten years ago. Actually, my wife and I stopped going to Damon's in the '80s because the service had gotten so bad. But I would still order food to take home and just pick it up. But then the take-out got so bad I quit altogether.

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Mon, 04/6/09 2:42 PM
hatteras04

It's sad when the best thing you can say about a place is that it has a lot of tvs.

At March Madness time, that alone can make me happy. I'll stick to a basket of fries to get the stomach through.

Damon's and TR are both not worth visiting these days, but I still have fond memories. I am not a fan of the onion towers that seem to be the new thing. Well, new for the last 10 years.

Foodosaurus
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Mon, 04/6/09 2:59 PM
This would be my guess at an onion ring tower. 

This one is from Red Robin

Michael Hoffman
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Mon, 04/6/09 3:07 PM
Nope. Theirs is made of onion straws.

jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Tue, 04/7/09 8:42 AM
I can't even imagine how much grease is trapped in an Onion Loaf.Never had one and never will.

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3662
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Tue, 04/7/09 9:38 AM
I have not seen an onion loaf on a menu in years.  There used to be a restaurant in Syracuse NY that served them and that is where I had them........a delicious and guilty pleasure.

I found the following recipe and am going to make it and see if it tastes anything like the one I remember. I will omit the parsley sprigs as I sure would not it to look the least bit healthy!

Onion Ring Loaf

Prep. Time: 1:15
Serves: 4

5 med. white onions - sliced
1 cup milk
3 eggs - beaten
salt - to taste
2 cups powdered pancake mix
parsley sprigs - for garnish

-Separate onions into rings.
-Combine milk, eggs and salt to taste in mixing bowl.
-Soak onion rings in mixture 30 minutes.
-Place pancake mix in shallow bowl.
-Remove onion rings from milk mixture then dip in pancake mix.
-Deep-fry rings in 375 degree oil until golden brown.
-Drain fried onion rings on paper towels.
-Pack fried onion rings loosely, without pressing, into 8" X 4" loaf pan.
-Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
-Turn onto serving plate and garnish with parsley.

<message edited by Greymo on Tue, 04/7/09 9:40 AM>

brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Wed, 04/22/09 9:48 PM

Actually they arent greasy at all.  You use a 1/4 size fryer basket packed tight with the dredged onions then another small basket is wedged in the first.  Its fried about 5 min til golden brown and crispy.  It pulls apart.  Id say they are no greasier tha french'splus being warm you dont get that grease feeling on the roof of your mouth

DAMDAM
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Tue, 05/5/09 9:19 PM
Chili's serves them now.  Do you have a good receipe and a how to make them?

Sonny Funzio
  • Total Posts : 902
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Fri, 06/12/09 12:52 AM
Yup.

Onion Brick
Take large yellow onions and slice them thin.
select only the rings that are approx 2 inches across or larger for use. 
Using your fingers pull each ring apart so it is a strip.

Put the onions in a plastic (lexan etc) ventilated/covered tub and put in refrigeration to breathe for 24 hours.

When you have an order to serve, take a handful of the onion strips and put them in an egg bath (eggs beaten with a little milk) - coat well - then strain them in a strainer, chinois etc. 

Coat them with regular AP flour - and shake them off well to get all the excess flour off ... then, put them into the fryer basket (a "half basket" as noted above) and nestle a second half-basket on top of the first to compress the onions and hold them together. 
Immediately fry.
Drop this "doubled basket" into the fryer - 360 degrees and watch carefully - they burn quick.
When you take them out, pull the baskets apart and there you have it, an onion brick.  Sprinkle with a little salt.

Sonny Funzio
  • Total Posts : 902
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Fri, 06/12/09 1:05 AM
correction -
On second thought ... those onions should breathe in a refrigerator, walk-in etc for 36 to 48 hours - not 24. 

This does a few things ... it allows the sulphuric acid that is produced when onions hit the air to subside - It also helps convert the sugars in the onion (again courtesy of the acid) to develop; and allows the onions to lose a bit of their moisture, thereby making them a bit less likely to soak up the oil and become greasy when fried.

i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:Onion loaf(brick). - Fri, 06/12/09 7:47 AM
mayor al

That's the way that Tony Roma's used to serve their Onions...

Red, Hot & Blue, as well.