Ting Jamaican soda

DLnWPBrown
  • Total Posts : 832
  • Reward points : 0
Ting Jamaican soda - Sun, 04/12/09 11:00 PM
 Our local Food Lion grocery store has a huge Hispanic section with some Jamaican things thrown in. We I already new About the line of DG sodas but had never tried Ting before.  

I bought 2, a regular Ting and a Pink Tink. Both are made of Jamaican grapefruit and I found them very refreshing. The Pink variety is made using pink grapefruit. I preferred the regular Ting but would not turn either one down if offered them.

Anyone else tried these out?

Dennis in Cary
<message edited by DLnWPBrown on Mon, 04/13/09 2:00 PM>

bwave
  • Total Posts : 231
Re:Ting Jamaican soda - Sun, 04/12/09 11:04 PM
I will have to look for that!  I had a craving for grapefruit juice this evening and stopped by food lion, and would you believe they do not carry grapefruit juice in the fresh juice section?  I don't have a pitcher to make frozen here at work.  I know I could have gotten canned, but I didn't have time to walk back to the other side of the store.

While in Jamaica 3 weeks ago, I found I really liked grapefruit juice and coconut rum also.  

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3090
Re:Ting Jamaican soda - Mon, 04/13/09 6:36 AM
Gin and Ting is a nice warm weather drink.

DLnWPBrown
Re:Ting Jamaican soda - Mon, 04/13/09 2:00 PM
MilwF I was wondering how it would be with vodka or even blanco rum?

I also love the DG pineapple sode, very fizzy and refreshing. And as for the ting, sugar is used in it which beats the corn syrup.

Dennis in Cary

KingT
  • Total Posts : 75
Re:Ting Jamaican soda - Mon, 04/13/09 2:05 PM
Dennis, you know I've tried it and its my favorite pop out there. Its as refreshing a drink as I have found for summertime. Like the above mentioned its also a great warm weather mixer drink. I love vodka and ting with a splash of fresh orange juice. Also known as "The Jimmy special" at the Bar B Barn in Negril.

I get them at Treasure Island in Lincoln Park here in Chicago for just $1.09 a bottle which is pretty reasonable. For me anyways.

Jim2903
  • Total Posts : 232
Re:Ting Jamaican soda - Mon, 04/13/09 2:23 PM
I tried Ting while on my honeymoon in Jamaica eight years ago. But what I really got hooked on there was ginger beer. Thus started the path that eventually led me to Blenheim Ginger Ale -- and I recently learned of a store near me, in Wheeling IL, that sells Blenheim, along with other regional boutique pops. Still have to get over there ...

DLnWPBrown
Re:Ting Jamaican soda - Mon, 04/13/09 11:38 PM
Jay, I got the Timgs for .99 at the store. I'm going to have to go back and get some more of the regular Ting..... has a sweeter taster to me.

Dennis in Cary

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
Re:Ting Jamaican soda - Fri, 04/17/09 3:42 PM
We lived in Jamaica 25 yrs ago and became addicted to the stuff!!! LOVE ting!! and it really is a great mixer---we dont see it here in Okla--but we look for it when we are on the road and buy at least a case--YWhen wqe first got back from Jamaica my wife was tempted to try and get the distribution rights for Northern Calif!!

cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1597
Re:Ting Jamaican soda - Sat, 04/18/09 8:13 AM
DLnWPBrown

MilwF I was wondering how it would be with vodka or even blanco rum?

Dennis in Cary

Ting & a light rum makes a very refreshing cocktail, but be careful...they're very addictive!

jonjax71
  • Total Posts : 435
Re:Ting Jamaican soda - Sun, 04/19/09 11:53 AM
I had Ting for the very first time when my Jahmaican wife and I spent the 2nd half of our honeymoon in 1975 on Reggae Island. I've been hooked every since. During the 80s it was hard finding Ting in the US, fortunately my brother in law was a cross country trucker whose main route was So Cal to S Flo so he would bring us cases of Ting bought at Jahmaican  stores in Metro Miami.

The Ting made for Jahmaica as with Red Stripe beer is much better in Jahmaica than the export blend. Quite simply Ting is the best graprefruit soda ever, so vastly superior to Cactus Cooler or any other

Yah mon, vhvrreee TING irie, guidance-overstanding

DLnWPBrown
Re:Ting Jamaican soda - Sun, 04/19/09 1:25 PM
I'm headed to the grocery store now and will be picking up some Ting to replenish the stock here at home. 

I've never tried the ginger beer so I may have to pick a couple of bottles to try out.

Dennis in Cary

DLnWPBrown
Re:Ting Jamaican soda - Mon, 04/20/09 12:01 AM
Well I tried the ginger beer and it just didn't work for me. I had been told it was not like ginger ale so I was prepared for something different. It tasted too much like unpeeled ginger for my liking.

Oh well, you never know until you try something new.

On the other hand, I did like the cola champange. It reminded me of a cross between cola and a cream soda... interesting.

Dennis in Cary