The Best Fish Sandwich(es)

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 114
Author Message
cunamara
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/2/2003
  • Location: Portland, OR
The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Mon, 12/8/03 5:08 PM
0
The best fish sandwich that I've ever had can be found at Rick's American Café on the island of Roatan in the West Caribbean. The proprietors are U.S. expats from the commercial fishing industry along the Massachussets coast. As such they really understand how to not mess up a fine piece of fish -- in this case, an impeccably batter-fried slab of fresh. local grouper fillet served with lettuce, tomato, and onion (which I leave off because I can't eat much raw onion), plus a good NE-style tartar sauce, and enclosed in a toasted sesame seed bun. As a fish-eating fool from coastal Rhode Island, I haven't had better.

Tom

JimInKy
  • Total Posts : 599
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/29/2000
  • Location: Lexington, KY
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Mon, 12/8/03 5:38 PM
0
One of the best fish sandwiches I've had was at The Island Cafe on Isle of Palms, South Carolina in March 1997. A local resident highly recommended their sandwich and I was thrilled with it. Unfortunately, I didn't learn what kind of fish was served.

Incidentally, I had perhaps the best pan fried scallops of my life at this little restaurant.

Fresh seafood, well prepared, is what one expects from good Charleston area restaurants. I've long believed that cooks and chefs in the low country know seafood and grow up knowing what to do with it.



Michael Stern
  • Total Posts : 1020
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/19/2000
  • Location: Bethel, CT
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Mon, 12/8/03 5:42 PM
0
My personal favorite is whitefish on Juilleret's toast, Charlevoix, Michigan:


lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6223
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/22/2003
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Tue, 12/9/03 12:41 PM
0
Mr. Stern, a good piece of Lake Michigan whitefish is indeed hard to beat!! That looks awesome! A few other places to add to the list of great fish sammiches would be: Yankee Lobster Fish Market in Boston and The Sail Loft, also in Boston......nice, thick portions of haddock lightly coated with clam fry mix and fried, served on a nice soft bun. Yummy.

i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/14/2003
  • Location: Sin City, VA
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Tue, 12/9/03 12:44 PM
0
A grouper sandwich at Waldo's in Vero Beach, Florida for me !

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/10/2003
  • Location: West Chester, PA
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Tue, 12/9/03 12:48 PM
0
I like Benkovitz's fish sandwich in Pittsburgh.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/18/2001
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Tue, 12/9/03 12:48 PM
0
There are several ethnically owned small restaurants that specialize in selling white fish sandwiches in Nashville, TN. They are pretty basic with most offering hot sauce and onions. They are excellent, extremely primative and some sell that sandwich alone.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6223
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/22/2003
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Tue, 12/9/03 12:59 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

I like Benkovitz's fish sandwich in Pittsburgh.

I second that emotion!!!

renfrew
  • Total Posts : 696
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/29/2003
  • Location: Providence, RI
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Tue, 12/9/03 1:42 PM
0
Great to see a posting on this subject. It is often such a poorly thought offering on many a menu.

Now, the fish sandwiches my mom used to make me for lunch growing up cant be beat, however I absolutely love the fish sandwich at Hooters albeit only at this particular one.

In college (Hartford, CT) we would go to the one on the Berlin Tpke in Berlin, CT. A fresh fried grouper filet, with melted cheese and carmelized onions on a great long roll.

Man that was good.


Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/1/2000
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Tue, 12/9/03 1:47 PM
0
One of the best fish sandwiches I've had was the fried haddock sandwich at Flanders Fish Market in Flanders, which is part of East Lyme, Connecticut.

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/24/2003
  • Location: New Paltz, NY
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Tue, 12/9/03 3:20 PM
0
Fried or broiled grouper sandwiches are the staple of every joint in the Tampa Bay area. I can't ever remember having a bad one (well, sometimes the bun is not so hot - but then you just ignore the bun and eat the filet) and on average they are very very good. There's something about a grouper filet that defies the worst efforts of the worst cooks to make it bad.

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/22/2003
  • Location: Houston, TX
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Tue, 12/9/03 3:27 PM
0
For easy fish sandwiches at home, I love Schwan's haddock squares. They are delicious on a bun with a little tartar sauce or red sauce. One of my "weeknight" standbys.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7384
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/18/2001
  • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Tue, 12/9/03 3:48 PM
0
Wholey's fish Sandwich in Pittsburgh. 2nd prize goes to the Walleye Sandwich at Tavern on Grand in St. Paul MN.

Other Notables. Best Fish Sandwich in Baseball- The Pollock Sandwich at Hadlock Field in Portland ME.

Best Fish Sandwich served at a festival. The grilled salmon on a bun served at various outdoor events in Seattle

cunamara
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/2/2003
  • Location: Portland, OR
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Tue, 12/9/03 4:53 PM
0
quote:
I absolutely love the fish sandwich at Hooters albeit only at this particular one. In college (Hartford, CT) we would go to the one on the Berlin Tpke in Berlin, CT. A fresh fried grouper filet, with melted cheese and carmelized onions on a great long roll.


The one I had there, some 8-10 years ago I admit, was no mean sandwich but I recall the fish batter being a little too much on the greasy-crispy side with the overall conconction leaving the fish somewhat overwhelmed. But, hey, with a side of rings and a few mugs of beer? Why not? {brrrp -- 'scuse}. Besides, who was paying all that much attention to the food?

Tom

cunamara
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/2/2003
  • Location: Portland, OR
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Tue, 12/9/03 4:59 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern

My personal favorite is whitefish on Juilleret's toast, Charlevoix, Michigan


Pray tell, what is "Juilleret's toast" or who is "Juilleret," as the case may be? -Tom

cunamara
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/2/2003
  • Location: Portland, OR
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Tue, 12/9/03 5:50 PM
0
quote:
There's something about a grouper filet that defies the worst efforts of the worst cooks to make it bad.


Perhaps the grouper sandwich at Rick's (on Roatan) has an edge in that their commercial fisherman/supplier is a regular there and, as such, ensures the very first order of prime quality and freshness, while the proprietors, as ex-commercial-fishing people from NE, have an unusual abhorence for messing up a fine piece of fish. I wouldn't stick my nose up at any grouper sandwich that I've eaten but this one, to my palate, has decided edge. There's nothing really extroardinary about the peparation concept but the result highlights the exceptionally fine fish rather nicely.

The only weakness, now that you've brought it up, concerns the quality of their sesame seed bun, although it's the very best they can get here on an island where the quality of available bread products is generally dismal.

The quality of the lettuce and tomatoes typically available here is also quite dismal (and suspect) but they obtain both in very high quality direct from a hydroponic operation run by a local expat.

The tartar sauce, which is in the NE-style, is worth mentioning only because they get it right on. I find most bottled varieties a little
too mayonnaisey, or even MiracleWhipy, for my tastes while homemade offerings often either add too much onion (instant burp city for me) or other clever additives that, while sometimes not bad, end up masking the taste of the fish.

You almost can't ruin a pork chop, for me, but I tend to be a bit of a purist when it comes to fish sandwiches, scrambled eggs and Martinis -- but that's another forum.

Tom

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/24/2003
  • Location: New Paltz, NY
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Tue, 12/9/03 8:22 PM
0
OK, Cunamara, just how do you scramble a couple of eggs?

kdiammond
  • Total Posts : 133
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/28/2003
  • Location: McLean, VA
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Tue, 12/9/03 8:41 PM
0
The best fish sandwich that I ever had was brought to me by a friend when I was 20. It was a cold day at the crappiest job that I ever held (even worse than selling Time-Life books), I was broke and living in a rooming house, and here was a hot lunch! A whole gutted, bones and all thin fish, pan fried in cornmeal. This was slapped between 2 slices of Wonder fluff and sprinkled with hot sauce. Never had one better in the 22 years since.

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/9/2003
  • Location: Athens, GA
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Tue, 12/9/03 10:47 PM
0
Dearfolk,
The best fish sandwich I ever had was a floating pig at Mae's Whiz [All around] on West Market Street in Louisville, Kentucky about 3:30 A. M. one drizzly morning. A floating pig, obviously obtainable nowhere else, was a breaded, seasoned whiting filet topped with cheese and bacon and served on some sort of long, chewy roll.
It makes me wonder if that place, run by three sisters from Cub Run, Kentucky, is still there....
Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in Floating Pig-less Athens, Georgia.

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/16/2003
  • Location: Nashville, TN
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 2:47 AM
0
Sundancer, can you provide more info on the Nashville area? I've been here a year now, but still getting to know my way around town.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6223
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/22/2003
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 4:30 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
The best fish sandwich I ever had was a floating pig at Mae's Whiz [All around] on West Market Street in Louisville, Kentucky about 3:30 A. M. one drizzly morning. A floating pig, obviously obtainable nowhere else, was a breaded, seasoned whiting filet topped with cheese and bacon and served on some sort of long, chewy roll.
It makes me wonder if that place, run by three sisters from Cub Run, Kentucky, is still there....
Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in Floating Pig-less Athens, Georgia.

Ort. what are you doing eating at 3:30AM????

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/11/2001
  • Location: L.A, CA
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 5:10 AM
0
Llechef, what are you doing posting at 2 am? Thank God some of us are on Pacific standard time!

jpatweb
  • Total Posts : 232
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/3/2001
  • Location: Alexandria, VA
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 10:50 AM
0
For fried fish sandwiches in Washington, DC, head for Horace and Dickies in the northeast section of town. It's well off the beaten path, and probably best reached by cab.

dendan
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/30/2003
  • Location: Hickory, NC
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 10:53 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
The best fish sandwich I ever had was a floating pig at Mae's Whiz [All around] on West Market Street in Louisville, Kentucky about 3:30 A. M. one drizzly morning. A floating pig, obviously obtainable nowhere else, was a breaded, seasoned whiting filet topped with cheese and bacon and served on some sort of long, chewy roll.
It makes me wonder if that place, run by three sisters from Cub Run, Kentucky, is still there....
Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in Floating Pig-less Athens, Georgia.


I'd like to see a pic of the floating pig.....and why the name

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6223
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/22/2003
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 12:09 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

Oh, one more Northern Michigan note. Most local places used to serve whitefish that was caught by the local indians (they still have gill-netting rights granted by some treaty, maybe the one that gave Ohio Toledo, and MI the U.P. but maybe not). Anyway, most of the local indian fisherman have stopped fishing because they make so much money off of the indian "owned" casinos that now dot Northern Michigan. It's been a little tougher to get good fish since no one has stepped in to take up the slack. It's also a little more expensive.

Now back to your sandwich news...

When I worked in Traverse City all our whitefish and walleye came from the native Indians. Too bad they prefer casinos......but I suppose it IS a little warmer.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6223
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/22/2003
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 12:13 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

Llechef, what are you doing posting at 2 am? Thank God some of us are on Pacific standard time!

What else does anyone awake do at 2AM? THINK ABOUT FOOD!

i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/14/2003
  • Location: Sin City, VA
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 12:16 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by jpatweb

For fried fish sandwiches in Washington, DC, head for Horace and Dickies in the northeast section of town. It's well off the beaten path, and probably best reached by cab.


jpat, that place sounds great. I live less than an hour from the District (and west of you) and have yet to hit either this place or, believe it or not, Ben's Chili Bowl. I must make both part of my 2004 resolution !

jpatweb
  • Total Posts : 232
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/3/2001
  • Location: Alexandria, VA
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 1:16 PM
0
Sounds like a plan. Horace and Dickie's is somewhere around 11th or 12 St. NE. Picture the location of Eastern Market but then go deeper into NE by about 6 blocks. Take-out only but a genuine DC dining experience.

Ben's is a must. Very easily reached via the Metro's green line. I recommend getting desert at Cakelove, about a 5 block walk west on U St.

quote:
Originally posted by i95

quote:
Originally posted by jpatweb

For fried fish sandwiches in Washington, DC, head for Horace and Dickies in the northeast section of town. It's well off the beaten path, and probably best reached by cab.


jpat, that place sounds great. I live less than an hour from the District (and west of you) and have yet to hit either this place or, believe it or not, Ben's Chili Bowl. I must make both part of my 2004 resolution !

i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/14/2003
  • Location: Sin City, VA
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 2:26 PM
0
Thanks !!

cunamara
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/2/2003
  • Location: Portland, OR
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 4:20 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

OK, Cunamara, just how do you scramble a couple of eggs?


With love and respect. It never ceases to amaze me that two of the simplest things to make are so widely screwed up: scrambled eggs and Martinis. I included fish sandwiches in my comment because a nice piece of fish is also something that is so easily messed up and, often prefering bistro-style eating, I greatly enjoy a fish sandwich at the bar.

Some years ago, a restaurant reviewer in the area where I originally hail from once had the bright idea of taking along a renowned chef to test the mettle of a new chef at a local French restaurant. Expecting him to order something relatively complicated, he was momentarily surprised when the chef said, simply, "Just ask him to to fix me a piece of fish."

Tom

cunamara
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/2/2003
  • Location: Portland, OR
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 4:35 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by kdiammond

I was broke and living in a rooming house, and here was a hot lunch! A whole gutted, bones and all thin fish, pan fried in cornmeal. This was slapped between 2 slices of Wonder fluff and sprinkled with hot sauce. Never had one better in the 22 years since.

I believe it was Don Quixote who said, "Hunger is the best sauce." One of the best eating experiences I've ever had was when I was "on the road" as a teen and into my 3rd day without eating when someone gave me a cold can of Vienna Sausage. Subsequently discovering that I'm no fan of that "stuff," I still remember it as epicurean experience.

Tom

dendan
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/30/2003
  • Location: Hickory, NC
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 4:43 PM
0
WOW - what a turn the fish sandwich thread has taken...or swam!!

dendan
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/30/2003
  • Location: Hickory, NC
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 4:51 PM
0
Since the 'tini' naming contest it has been hard to keep on track. I guess we have been sampling the winning combination....or what we have decided it is to us. LOL

hawkeyejohn
  • Total Posts : 257
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/6/2003
  • Location: Joliet, IL
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 4:52 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

Wholey's fish Sandwich in Pittsburgh. 2nd prize goes to the Walleye Sandwich at Tavern on Grand in St. Paul MN.


Mark me down for a vote for Tavern on Grand, outstanding walleye.

dendan
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/30/2003
  • Location: Hickory, NC
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 4:54 PM
0
Still want to know what a 'floating pig" is...how about it Ort. Carlton

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/22/2003
  • Location: Houston, TX
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 5:05 PM
0
Isn't the hallmark of a good chef the ability to make a perfect omelete?

dendan
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/30/2003
  • Location: Hickory, NC
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 5:24 PM
0
Whoa...getting deep in here!

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/24/2003
  • Location: New Paltz, NY
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 6:34 PM
0
I know how to scramble eggs. I want to know how you guys do it?

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/24/2003
  • Location: New Paltz, NY
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 6:39 PM
0
Cunamara: Roatan. Is that the island where a large sailing ship was lost in a hurricane a few years ago? And were you living there when it happened?
Cant remember the name of the ship, but I do remember the damn hurricane just seemed to follow it every place it went and all hands were lost. ...

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/9/2003
  • Location: Athens, GA
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 9:36 PM
0
Oh, Dearfolk,
A floating pig involves the slices of bacon "swimming" atop the fish in the sandwich. Yes, I had to ask, and that was the answer I was given, if rephrased herein. Dendan, I regret that I neglected to ask for slaw on it; I just might next time, if Mae's Whiz [All Around] is still there. And I hope it is.
Lleechef, it's not at all uncommon for me to eat at 3:30 A.M. Strikes me, though, that Louisville is on Eastern Standard Time. I was then living in Nashville, which is on Central Standard. So, by my Nashville yardstick, it was 4:30 A. M., at which time I was often eating something at one all-night diner or another in Music City. Some people go there for music; I went there to learn to write "away from home" (i. e., Athens/Atlanta), and in that respect, I succeeded masterfully. Many nights I wrote 6 to 8 pages nonstop, just listening to people's life stories as I s-l-o-w-l-y munched on something and drank highly diluted coffee.
When the U. Ga. Library closes at 2:00 this coming morning, I'll probably saunter by The Grill and have a bowl or two of slore (cole slaw) before giving up and going home to snore it off. My friend Danny fed me his Chinese leftovers on top of and three hours after a fine meal at The Normaltown Cafe, so I won't be particularly hungry.
Fully Informed, Ort. Carlton in Seemingly-Colder-Than-Marshfield, Wisconsin Athens, Georgia.

kdiammond
  • Total Posts : 133
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/28/2003
  • Location: McLean, VA
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 9:44 PM
0
Clothier -- if you machine washed his cast iron -- cannot say that I really can blame him (though I do not condone violence). Have a cast iron pan that will cook anything (including carmalize items) as its seasoning is about 100 years old. I can fry fish in this skillet with only the most modest glazing of any fat. It was one of the skillets that my great grandfather pack-peddled before he brought the rest of our family to this country from Russia.

cunamara
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/2/2003
  • Location: Portland, OR
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Wed, 12/10/03 11:39 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Cunamara: Roatan. Is that the island where a large sailing ship was lost in a hurricane a few years ago? And were you living there when it happened?
Cant remember the name of the ship, but I do remember the damn hurricane just seemed to follow it every place it went and all hands were lost. ...


It was the Fantome, an older, refurbished sailing craft that was ill-equipped to even come about in anything like those conditions, even in the lee of the island. The story is told in Jim Carrier's The Ship and the Storm: Hurricane Mitch and the Loss of the Fantome. It was a spooky read for me because, I kept thinking that if I had ventured out of where I was hunkered down, I might well have seen them pass -- which would have been even more spooky.

In the area where they down after losing all contact, they were being pummeled by 180 MPH winds and 50' seas and unable to do anything but keep heading into harm's way. The ship and its 31 crewmembers simply disappeared. Despite this being a diver's mecca only a few small items have been found along shores here. Fortunately, all of its passengers had been put off in Belize. If you're wondering why the hell they were out there, that's what much of the book deals with. -Tom

JimInKy
  • Total Posts : 599
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/29/2000
  • Location: Lexington, KY
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Thu, 12/11/03 2:43 AM
0
Michael's photo of the whitefish sandwich rattled my memory about a great plate of whitefish and an equally fine whitefish sandwich at a Traverse City restaurant in the mid 80s. We did a lot of asking around to find out where to go in town for the best whitefish. Could lleechef have served up that memorable fare?

When I heard part of the mass written for Leonard Bernstein's funeral, I thought about those Traverse City meals. The mass written by a close friend, surprised folks with the line, "Thank thee Lord for this tasty plate of fish."

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/10/2003
  • Location: West Chester, PA
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Thu, 12/11/03 9:14 AM
0
If there's a "best" fish sandwich, there has to be a worst. My nomination: Gefilte fish between two pieces of matzo.

bumper
  • Total Posts : 96
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/3/2003
  • Location: maryville, TN
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Thu, 12/11/03 9:39 AM
0
IN Knoxville TN I really like the fried grouper sandwich at Kingston Alley on Kingston Pike .

" Large very tasty "

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/18/2001
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Thu, 12/11/03 9:43 AM
0
Bumper, where have you been.

I will try the Kingston Alley. I have never been there.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

bumper
  • Total Posts : 96
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/3/2003
  • Location: maryville, TN
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Thu, 12/11/03 9:48 AM
0
Once again lost in the busy world , when you go try the asian slaw very good !

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6223
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/22/2003
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Thu, 12/11/03 9:52 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

Michael's photo of the whitefish sandwich rattled my memory about a great plate of whitefish and an equally fine whitefish sandwich at a Traverse City restaurant in the mid 80s. We did a lot of asking around to find out where to go in town for the best whitefish. Could lleechef have served up that memorable fare?

When I heard part of the mass written for Leonard Bernstein's funeral, I thought about those Traverse City meals. The mass written by a close friend, surprised folks with the line, "Thank thee Lord for this tasty plate of fish."

OK, 'fess up, where did you have that fish sandwich? I was cheffing in TC in the mid 80s! Wow, maybe you did eat my food......

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6223
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/22/2003
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Thu, 12/11/03 9:56 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Oh, Dearfolk,
A floating pig involves the slices of bacon "swimming" atop the fish in the sandwich. Yes, I had to ask, and that was the answer I was given, if rephrased herein. Dendan, I regret that I neglected to ask for slaw on it; I just might next time, if Mae's Whiz [All Around] is still there. And I hope it is.
Lleechef, it's not at all uncommon for me to eat at 3:30 A.M. Strikes me, though, that Louisville is on Eastern Standard Time. I was then living in Nashville, which is on Central Standard. So, by my Nashville yardstick, it was 4:30 A. M., at which time I was often eating something at one all-night diner or another in Music City. Some people go there for music; I went there to learn to write "away from home" (i. e., Athens/Atlanta), and in that respect, I succeeded masterfully. Many nights I wrote 6 to 8 pages nonstop, just listening to people's life stories as I s-l-o-w-l-y munched on something and drank highly diluted coffee.
When the U. Ga. Library closes at 2:00 this coming morning, I'll probably saunter by The Grill and have a bowl or two of slore (cole slaw) before giving up and going home to snore it off. My friend Danny fed me his Chinese leftovers on top of and three hours after a fine meal at The Normaltown Cafe, so I won't be particularly hungry.
Fully Informed, Ort. Carlton in Seemingly-Colder-Than-Marshfield, Wisconsin Athens, Georgia.

Ort., God bless any man that can eat at 4AM and write 6-8 pages nonstop. I would be the gal over in the corner sleeping soundly. [|)][|)]

dendan
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/30/2003
  • Location: Hickory, NC
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Thu, 12/11/03 10:02 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by clothier



By the way, Traverse City sits rights on the 45th parallel and is half way to the North Pole.

Just thought I'd share.


Hey, the equator is half way to the North Pole if you are at the South Pole!!

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/16/2002
  • Location: Natchitoches, LA
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Thu, 12/11/03 10:08 AM
0
Believe it or not, I like Sonic's fish sandwich: nothing but fish & tartar sauce on a bun. Not gourmet, but reliable, quick, and inexpensive.

If a po-boy counts, the catfish po-boy at Mama's in Natchitoches, LA, is hard to beat.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6223
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/22/2003
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Thu, 12/11/03 11:22 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by dendan

quote:
Originally posted by clothier



By the way, Traverse City sits rights on the 45th parallel and is half way to the North Pole.

Just thought I'd share.


Hey, the equator is half way to the North Pole if you are at the South Pole!!

And the 66th is...........yes! The Arctic Circle! Anybody ever been there? It's beautiful, I think Sundancer has been that far north of Fairbanks.
Ok, back to fish sammiches.........

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/10/2003
  • Location: West Chester, PA
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Thu, 12/11/03 3:50 PM
0
We ALWAYS "doctor" the fish from the jar. It's been a very long time since I've had fresh made gefilte fish.

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/10/2003
  • Location: West Chester, PA
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Thu, 12/11/03 3:57 PM
0
Ok-you're on! Don't you think those cardboard FedEx envelopes will smell after holding fish??????
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

We ALWAYS "doctor" the fish from the jar. It's been a very long time since I've had fresh made gefilte fish.


Remind me in the spring, and I'll Fed-Ex you some edible fish.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7384
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/18/2001
  • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Thu, 12/11/03 4:08 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

If there's a "best" fish sandwich, there has to be a worst. My nomination: Gefilte fish between two pieces of matzo.


Hows about lutefisk between two pieces of lefse. Oh, wait, that's another thread!

chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/24/2001
  • Location: Baltimore and Florida,
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Thu, 12/11/03 4:37 PM
0
Talking about fish sandwiches brings back memories of years ago when my children were very young. Our destination every Friday night (along with 100's of other people) was to go down to the "loop" in Oswego, NY which is right on Lake Ontario. There were several fish stands there, the most popular being "Rudy's". If the weather was cooperating, we would sit out at the picnic tables and eat our fish sandwiches (haddock) and try to protect ourselves from the preying seagulls! The children learned early to hunch over their fries and fish or they would go hungry. They were not the best fish sandwiches in the world but the ambiance was wonderful and we felt like we were really part of the "in crowd" for an hour or two.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/18/2001
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Thu, 12/11/03 5:47 PM
0
Around 1964 in Knoxville there was a party in a very nice part of town and they served gelfite fish from a jar. Within minutes many people got sick and eventually three people died from botulism. fortunately the commander from the local air national guard base was there and at the time, the base had the F-104's which is the fastest plane the Air Force has ever had. The only anti-toxin available was in Washington DC. They helicoptered him to the base where he flew the 104 to Washington in 15 minutes. That is 700 air miles away. These things flew better than 2,000 miles per hour. He landed, refueled, got the anti toxin and was back in Knoxville in 45 minutes. Many people were saved from a sure death.

It is said that a teaspoon of botulism equally distributed is enogh to kill the entire population of Knoxville. It is a anerobic bacteria that thrives in a closed container and is deadly.

I am sure that gelfite fish in a container is great, but I have never had the nerve to try it since.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/24/2003
  • Location: New Paltz, NY
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Thu, 12/11/03 5:59 PM
0
As an old seaman I'll tell you what we used to say about anyone who had become a pain in the ass: "Just like a seagull. eat, s--t, and squawk!

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/10/2003
  • Location: West Chester, PA
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Thu, 12/11/03 6:23 PM
0
Sundancer: That's the best excuse for not eating gefilte fish I ever heard. It's also a heck of a story. Wow.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/1/2000
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) - Thu, 12/11/03 6:41 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

Michael's photo of the whitefish sandwich rattled my memory about a great plate of whitefish and an equally fine whitefish sandwich at a Traverse City restaurant in the mid 80s. We did a lot of asking around to find out where to go in town for the best whitefish. Could lleechef have served up that memorable fare?

When I heard part of the mass written for Leonard Bernstein's funeral, I thought about those Traverse City meals. The mass written by a close friend, surprised folks with the line, "Thank thee Lord for this tasty plate of fish."

OK, 'fess up, where did you have that fish sandwich? I was cheffing in TC in the mid 80s! Wow, maybe you did eat my food......


I do remember having a good whitefish sandwich for lunch one day at the Grand Traverse Resort in 1984. But it wasn't the best I've ever had.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 114