Bella Roma (Stoughton WI)

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4737
  • Reward points : 0
Bella Roma (Stoughton WI) - Wed, 04/15/09 11:59 AM
A new Italian restaurant has opened in Stoughton, which is southeast of Madison.  My wife and I ate there last night and thought it was pretty good, although we by no means claim to be experts on Italian food.

We started with an antipasti bowl - a generous serving olives, cheese cubes, and salami cubes drizzled with olive oil and served with grilled bread, and with a couple of glasses of wine it would've made a lunch or light supper by itself.  Kathy had ziti baked with red sauce and Italian sausage, and I had ravioli stuffed with ricotta and chopped portobellos and topped with a vodka-cream-tomato sauce.  No dessert for me but Kathy had a cannoli that she liked.

Over dinner she told me a story that she'd heard from a woman in her cross-stitch group.  Apparently the woman's daughter's family had a visitor/exchange person from Italy so they took him to Olive Garden, and because of that he fixed the family some real Italian food the next night.

The dining room was fairly full for a Tuesday night; probably mostly first-timers as the restaurant hasn't been open that long.  We're planning on going back, though, and I hope it does well.  Our dinner came to $45 for the appetizer, 2 entrees, 1 dessert, 2 beers (Peroni), and a soda.

Menu

Brad
<message edited by Brad_Olson on Wed, 04/15/09 12:01 PM>

Kirsby
  • Total Posts : 88
Re:Bella Roma (Stoughton WI) - Wed, 04/15/09 12:12 PM
Thanks for sharing, Brad.  We'll have to keep this on our list of nearby places to try.  It's good to see some real Italian places popping up in Southern Wisconsin.  Another newish place we really enjoy is Cafe Four in Mineral Point:  http://www.fourcafe.com/.  Their wood-fired pizzas are to die for.  They also have a great outdoor patio and a decent wine and beer list.  And it's a very pleasant drive from our home here in New Glarus.

-Kris

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Bella Roma (Stoughton WI) - Wed, 04/15/09 12:22 PM
Thanks to both of you for these good rec's. It's been years since we have traveled in this neck of the woods and we want to again this summer. Kirsby, I want to try your place too.

myterry2
  • Total Posts : 526
Re:Bella Roma (Stoughton WI) - Wed, 04/15/09 12:48 PM
Thanx for the report..we will be in that area soon, will definitely try both places.  Thanx.

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Bella Roma (Stoughton WI) - Wed, 04/15/09 1:24 PM
Sounds like a good place.

I love the menu:

Anti Paste  -  If I skip this, do I still have to have the paste? 

Baked Ziti Al Telefono   Telephone-style Ziti!

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4737
Re:Bella Roma (Stoughton WI) - Wed, 04/15/09 2:15 PM
Yes, unfortunately I did notice a few spelling and grammar issues but I liked the food well enough to let them slide.

The rest of the "anti paste" is at home in the fridge, waiting for me.  I forgot to grab it for lunch today!

Brad

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4467
Re:Bella Roma (Stoughton WI) - Wed, 04/15/09 2:35 PM
Brad_Olson, Sounds like a home run.  Really nice reasonably priced menu also.

Although I would like to know more about "The Telephone Baked Ziti".  Did it come with Free Minutes?