What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/08/18 18:23:38 (permalink)
I'm not sure about Fred's steak, but I do have a great marinade that makes the steak "black": I use it on london broil for the most part and it makes this less expensive cut of meat wonderful after marinating for a day or two:

1 10 oz bottle of Gravy Master (Gravy Browning Sauce)
1/2 oz Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons garlic powder
1 Tablespoon onion powder
2 Beau Monde seasoning (I've seen it in gourmet stores or some Shop Rite's)

The Beau Monde might be a little hard to find, but it's worth it!!
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2973
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/08/18 22:56:08 (permalink)
I tried something that is new to me, but I guess was the thing nouveau a while back; we had "flatiron" steaks last night. I was very impressed. They were very tender, but also lean, and also very savory, much like sirlion. I grilled them with a sprinkling of Canadian seasoning, to medium rare.

Tom
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/11/04 20:20:02 (permalink)
I like NY strip on the grill as my favorite. I've made it with just salt and pepper and I've tried marinating them in commercial marinades and marinades I made myself. I decided just plain was the best.
My wife likes porterhouse best. I usually fix one of each.

carl reitz
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/11/04 20:47:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

For me a thick cut Porterhouse, about 1.5 inches or roughly 1.75 lb seems to work best for a great steak. My wife loves the filet, and I get the 'left' side strip. Very light or no seasoning prior to grilling. Dinner for two.
If you could (or do) choose your favorite cut to grill, or order when on the road, what would it be?

Al, I prefer the ribeye above all else, with a T bone 2nd.

Dennis in Cary
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15175
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/11/04 21:12:14 (permalink)
Dennis,
When ordering in a restaurant I often go with your choice. i find that unless I know the place well, that the RibEye will be a more tender cut that what some places get for Porterhouse. However If I know the Place, and it does a porterhouse properly, I will go with the larger!!
Note- Even without a Gall-Bladder I can do it if I am careful not to 'wolf' it down like I used to do !!! If i rush myself, I will pay the price many times over for the next couple of days.
speechpeach
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/11/07 16:55:37 (permalink)
Ribeye for me, or New York Strip, T bone, Porterhouse or Sirloin. Either with just salt and pepper, garlic butter, or marinated in something that contains wine, garlic, olive oil, etc...Medium rare for me, always...
berndog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/11/07 17:32:38 (permalink)
My favorite is a nice NY strip steak, but ribeye is a close second. Wait, maybe it's actually a tie. Darn, I can't pick. Then there's filet, porterhouse, T bone, and all those other great cuts. When grilled right, and with good meat, who cares.
robicheaux
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/12/25 14:25:31 (permalink)
T-Bone or Porterhouse

May I suggest Lobel's in NY for the best Prime Beef mailed anywhere.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/12/25 14:35:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by berndog

My favorite is a nice NY strip steak, but ribeye is a close second. Wait, maybe it's actually a tie. Darn, I can't pick. Then there's filet, porterhouse, T bone, and all those other great cuts. .

Aha!:

"When grilled right, and with good meat, who cares"....

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/12/25 14:40:40 (permalink)
While the cut does make a difference, the thickness and the cooking is so important. Steak is so easy to overcook and so disappointing when done so. A thick steak needs to be removed from the heat before it is done because it will continue to cook for awhile. So pick your steak and then pay attention at the grill.
mistertawny
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/12/26 15:37:57 (permalink)
I agree that the attention at the grill is just as important as the meat itself. That said, you can't go worng with any well marbeled meat, but you have to make sure and marinate with citrus (destroy the connective tissue so no "clinginess"), and watch as you cook. A good fast sear then a few minutes per side until desired donenes is reached. Also don't forget to let the meat rest (before eating take it off the grill and let it sit for about 5 or so minutes) before digging in. It lets the juices settle and makes it even more tasty.

If you want a bit of insurance put a light coat of either virgin olive oil or a lightly flavored olive oil (I like garlic) on the steak. Do not use BUTTER. It is too easy to burn, especially at the temps a good grill is capable of.
nvb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/12/26 16:25:57 (permalink)
I prefer a 1.5" top sirloin. Seems like it cooks well on the grill and it's leaner than most cuts. Tastes good too!
keef richards
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/12/30 20:23:48 (permalink)
i have not seen the filet mentioned. if you buy a filet at least 1-1/2 thick cook on a charcoal grill 5mins a side turn once let rest for five min it is great. the porter house is proably the best. cooking over charcoal is the trick, no lighter fluid either a chimmney or electric heating element. lump charcoal and hickory seems to provide a great amount of heat and flavor. after about 20 mins or so you should only be able to hold your hand over the grill
for a second( also great way to make grilled pizza) almost any steak
worth grilling is about 5mins a side then rest or put off to side of grill for a couple of mins to finish slowly for those who insist that i will get sick from eating a rare steak.cooking technique seems to be as important as the cut of meat.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/12/31 00:48:51 (permalink)
My kids love my marinated flank steak, but I prefer a nice thick NY Strip.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2004/12/31 09:10:55 (permalink)
I'm grilling NY strips this evening. I have them marinating in a garlic sauce as I write. I don't always like to marinate but thought I'd take a chance on this today. Will grill veggies as well and should be a good evening for New Year's Eve.
ladytenor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2005/01/22 17:23:38 (permalink)
When I go to the steakhouse, I get a Filet of Tenderloin of Beef, medium rare.
My father-in-law grills steaks, usually T-bone but he did Porterhouse once. He bastes them with a mixture of Worchestershire sauce and melted butter. I get mine with just the melted butter so I can taste the beef better. Only "beef" I have with how he does it is that my mother in law insists that the steaks be well-done without a hint of pink showing, and I like mine medium rare which she won't let him do. She throws an absolute fit if he fixes what she terms "uncooked" or "raw" steak. His steaks do turn out nice and tender, though...better than you would think for well-done steaks.
robicheaux
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2005/01/22 17:25:23 (permalink)
grounds for divorce lady
Seriousfoody
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2005/02/17 11:30:40 (permalink)
Strips or rib-eyes are really good but so is a flank steak grilled over high heat to rare. My personal favorite is skirt steak if you can find it. It is usually well marbled and has an intense beefy, mineral flavor. Grill it the same way as flank (you do not have to marinade, just S&P) and slice thinly across the grain. It has more flavor than many luxury cuts.
rjb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 451
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2005/02/17 13:39:13 (permalink)
Prime aged porterhouse, 2 inches thick. 2 level hardwood charcoal fire. Touch of wood smoke, but only after the flip. Coarse salt immediately after grilling, then let rest for at least 10 min. Martini before (very cold), Tignaello with.
garykg6
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2005/02/17 13:45:53 (permalink)
1 1/2 inch,either porterhouse,t-bone or Delmonico. the only reason the NY strip isn't included is strictly a choice on my part(with a cholesteral reading of 93,thats right 93,) as it doen't have enough fat,which I enjoy.......fire must be real hot then cooked 'Pittsburg'style,the old black and blue........I usually take potato 'boulders' and put them into the grill before adding charcoal,no potato can match it(memories of going skating in Maine when we would build a big fire and do the same).....
Boss 302
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2005/02/24 06:23:35 (permalink)
The NY strip and the T-bone are the same piece of meat.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4978
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2005/02/24 11:06:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Boss 302

The NY strip and the T-bone are the same piece of meat.

You might find these definitions interesting:
http://www.beeffoodservice.com/Cuts/Info.aspx?code=77
http://www.beeffoodservice.com/Cuts/Info.aspx?code=63

Looks like the strip and t-bone share the same piece of loin but the strip has no tenderloin.

It's probably a good thing my boss won't let me have a grill in my office...

Brad
SouthHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2005/02/26 00:41:00 (permalink)
What cut does it best? They all do. Depends on what you like or feel like having.
My wife only wants a fillet, two inches thick minimum and only waved across the grill.
I like all sorts of steaks. . . for a really full flavor, it's hard to beat a big ol bone in porterhouse. For a tasty big steak that, if cooked and cut properly will be fairly tender, a sirloin is great and a good value. . . T-bones are nice but I've always thought the mouthfuls per pound per dollar ratio was a bit low for the quality.
Man, a nice flank steak cooked right will melt in your mouth with a VERY robust and slightly different flavor.
Rib eye is the opposite of a t-bone in that you get a lot of good steak for a good mouthfulls per pound per dollar ratio.
BTW: I have no idea how the hell you calculate "mouthfulls per pound per dollar ratio."
When I was a kid my dad used to get something called silver tips by the box from a local packing house. . . they were the slim end of a fillet. A good sized 8 oz or so piece of meat. He always grilled them. Wow, what a treat they were. . . crisp on the outside, bloody in the middle.
hjbyun
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 100
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2005/03/20 19:06:41 (permalink)
For Steak, porterhouse!!! you need nothing else. The best porterhouse, other than my fab steakhouse (Capital Grill on Penn. Ave not the other branches) is an aged porterhouse @ wegman's.
naclh2o
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2005/04/10 20:05:21 (permalink)
I used to reside in Palo Alto California and after a few years of eating it, sometimes 3 times a week (yes, it is that good) I was able to break down some of the signifigant flavors.

I went into Schaubs one day, obviously to pick up a fred, and asked the butchers behind the counter if the secret ingredient I had assumed was correct. They smiled, telling me that the secret can never be told. Apparently the original fred, requested to take it to his grave.

After many dinners, I believe the secret ingredient to be[url='http://www.thevegemitesite.com/']shhhh....[/url] . I could be wrong, but I could be right.

I have never tried it myself, as I do not own a tumbler, but I do know they marinade it for 24-48 hours.

Yum.
2005Equinox
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2005/04/23 02:58:10 (permalink)
There isnt anything like a good porterhouse from the local meat market. Made on the Holland grill. If the steak is good I dont need anything on it. If I want prime rib Willies a local supper club is the way to go. Texas Road House is pretty good. We have a lot of good local supper clubs to get a nice piece of steak. London broil froom the local meat market is also great.
plantdetective
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2005/06/02 13:02:37 (permalink)
Have to say rib eye is my favorite. My wife insists on well done for hers... she really does get sick to here stomach with pink meat.. I have tested here several times. Even if she can't see it it happens, oh well thought it was all in here head. But I must say I do a nice juicy, tender well done steak... for her.

I get two steaks equal thickness and cut one in half to make two thin steaks. The three get a little soy sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, and garlic powder. "Gently placed" on a hot charcol grill until hers is done, mine come out perfect at a medium rare,

We also buy from Sam's when we can't get local, grass fed beef.

Anyone tried milk beef? This is a young steer that is still nursing and maybe just starting to eat a little grass, wow, that is a wondeful, flavorful, tender steak. All the cuts are just wonderful, just a little expensive but worth it even the brisket can be grilled and it is tender.

Paul
Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2005/07/20 17:42:20 (permalink)
Porterhouse is truly the king of steaks as you have a Filet Mignon on one side and a NY Strip on the other. It doesn't get any better than that.

I don't bother with T-bone unless it has been mislabeled and actually is a Porterhouse. In a true T-bone, the loin section is too small to matter.

NY Strip and Rib Eye are favorites as they are frequently on sale and a good value.

Flank steak on the grill? Sure, it's the only true cut for authentic London Broil. Just remember it is best cooked rare and should never be cooked longer than medium rare. Medium and above you will be eating shoe leather.
gruelurks
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2005/08/19 00:07:12 (permalink)
Gimme a thick Porterhouse with some Daddy Hinkles marinade anyday!
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: What Cut of Steak Does it Best on a Grill? 2005/08/27 09:17:34 (permalink)
I think by the pound for dollar value, grilled chuck {bone in} is my prefrence, cooked might I add Pittsburg style. I do love Porter house or Delmonico's just nock the dust off'em and walk them by the grill. What is the difference between skirt, flank, and this relativly new cut called hanger? Chow Jim
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1