Pepsi-Cola Throwback

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 61
CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
  • Reward points : 0
Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Mon, 04/27/09 4:41 PM
Pepsi Cola Throwback

I have been seeing the commercial for this the last 2 weeks.
It is pepsi made with natural sugar.

Being a diabetic I have not tried it, has anyone tried it yet and is it really like the old stuff??

They say it is a limited time only

http://pepsiproductfacts.com/infobyproduct.php?prod_size=20&brand_fam_id=1051&brand_id=1000&product=Pepsi+Throwback

(sorry for the long link but I was having trouble with RF's site today)

They are even doing a throwback Mt Dew.

jman
  • Total Posts : 1275
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Mon, 04/27/09 5:06 PM
This weekend was their big promotion at Talladega Raceway.  Jeff gordon drove the Pepsi Challenger Throwback car that had a paint scheme like the Pepsi car Darrel Waltrip drove in 1984.  Unfortunately, he crashed after seven laps and was 55 laps down by the time he got back on the track.

I caught up with the Pepsi driver who delivers locally here and asked him about the Pepsi Throwback and he didn't know what I was talking about.  I guess we won't see it here.

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Mon, 04/27/09 5:43 PM
I have Pepsi delivered here at UF, I asked my rep about it and he said that it started hitting the shelves week before last, haven't seen it yet.  Didn't think to ask him where to look but will an will report back.

BioTeacher
  • Total Posts : 43
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Mon, 04/27/09 6:16 PM
We have it at Kroger's and WalMart in the Little Rock area.  I tried it and thought it was good.  My 13 year old daughter loved it and acted like it was double the caffeine

DLnWPBrown
  • Total Posts : 832
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Tue, 04/28/09 12:02 AM
Well I am a diabetic but had to try it CajunKing. It tastes like the old Pepsi pre HFCS and was really good. I also noticed they have Mountain Dew Throwback but I did not try it. I had noticed over the years that Dew tastes nothing like it did in the 70's which is why I passed. If anyone else has tried the throwback Dew let me know how it is. BTW, the cans have the old hillbilly on it from the original bottles.

Dennis in Cary

HotDogHead
  • Total Posts : 665
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Tue, 04/28/09 3:09 PM
DLnWPBrown

Well I am a diabetic but had to try it CajunKing. It tastes like the old Pepsi pre HFCS and was really good. I also noticed they have Mountain Dew Throwback but I did not try it. I had noticed over the years that Dew tastes nothing like it did in the 70's which is why I passed. If anyone else has tried the throwback Dew let me know how it is. BTW, the cans have the old hillbilly on it from the original bottles.

Dennis in Cary

Oh how I miss the Mountain Dew from the 70's.  Today's is nothing like yesteryears.  I, too, would like to know if anyone has tried the throwback version of Dew.  I forgot about the hillbilly.  How nostalgic.

DLnWPBrown
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Tue, 04/28/09 3:14 PM
HotDogHead

DLnWPBrown

Dennis in Cary

Oh how I miss the Mountain Dew from the 70's.  Today's is nothing like yesteryears.  I, too, would like to know if anyone has tried the throwback version of Dew.  I forgot about the hillbilly.  How nostalgic.

I may go back this week and pick up a 12 pack of the Dew... will post how it tastes and if it is like the good old days.

Dennis in Cary 

ynotryme
  • Total Posts : 562
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Tue, 04/28/09 4:15 PM
We bought some and it tastes more like Coke than Pepsi. We can buy Mexican Pepsi here and it tastes like Pepsi. I can't explain it. Both are made with sugar. Anyway, Albertson's are carrying it $4.00 a 12 pack.

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Tue, 04/28/09 9:23 PM
I saw it at the grocery store Saturday, but we try to do only diet drinks. My husband is border line, but I might just have to get a 12 pack and give them a try

X1
  • Total Posts : 937
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Tue, 04/28/09 9:39 PM
I've had it and love it.

Like the Dew, too - I'm not much of a Dew drinker, as I haven't liked the taste over the years, but this....this is how it was when I was very young.

X1
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Tue, 04/28/09 9:41 PM
ynotryme

We bought some and it tastes more like Coke than Pepsi. We can buy Mexican Pepsi here and it tastes like Pepsi. I can't explain it. Both are made with sugar. Anyway, Albertson's are carrying it $4.00 a 12 pack.

Just FYI - check the label on your Mexican Coke. It's now made with HFCS *or* sugar. Most of the stuff I see now in the stores has HFCS instead of sugar. Damn shame.

DLnWPBrown
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Tue, 04/28/09 10:37 PM
X1

I've had it and love it.

Like the Dew, too - I'm not much of a Dew drinker, as I haven't liked the taste over the years, but this....this is how it was when I was very young.

So it has that nice citrus aftertaste and not a HFCS taste???

Dennis in Cary 

X1
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Tue, 04/28/09 10:48 PM
It has a citrus aftertaste, yes...no HFCS taste, but a sweet citrus aftertaste. Not a sharp citrus, if that makes sense.

DLnWPBrown
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Tue, 04/28/09 10:50 PM
Yeah, I think I know what you are saying. If it tastes like the old Dew then I will have to go out tomorrow and get some.

Dennis in Cary

X1
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Tue, 04/28/09 11:08 PM
I got mine by the plastic 20 oz bottle, so just buy one and see. If you like it, you can always go back and get more.

ynotryme
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Wed, 04/29/09 10:47 AM
the mexican pepsi here still says sugar on the label

DLnWPBrown
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Wed, 04/29/09 12:50 PM
Well I picked up some Mountain Dew Throwback earlier and gave it a try with lunch. It does taste better than the regular Dew they sell now but not quite what I remember from my childhood. Now I did pour onto ice to chill and I noticed the Throwback Pepsi didn't taste as good that way either. Something about getting it cold first makes it taste better so I have a couple of Dews in the fridge now.

On a side note, the price varies from place to place. Monday I paid $4.79 for a 12 pack of cans at Lowe's Foods. This morning I got a 12 pack at Food Lion for $3.99, AND it was buy one get one free. I plan to stock up the next week while it is on sale as you can only get 2 free per purchase.

Dennis in Cary

HotDogHead
  • Total Posts : 665
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Wed, 04/29/09 12:57 PM
Okay.  I'll try it.  Now it's just a matter of finding it.  Thanks for the feedback.

Louis
  • Total Posts : 713
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Wed, 04/29/09 7:41 PM
I tried Mountain Dew Throwback today.  I haven't tasted the original formula since the 1970s, but I believe it's the same.  Seems to be.  This version is a smooth drink; it doesn't scald the throat or cause heartburn later.  It's enjoyable.  If they ever sell it in bottles, it'll be even better.  Nothing can replace a soft drink that's poured out of a glass bottle.

dasl_4
  • Total Posts : 187
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Wed, 04/29/09 9:00 PM

Bought 1 Pepsi Throwback and 1 Mountain Dew Throwback today .. both in 20 oz plastic bottles $1.39  .. quite nice

DLnWPBrown
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Wed, 04/29/09 10:05 PM
Louis

I tried Mountain Dew Throwback today.  I haven't tasted the original formula since the 1970s, but I believe it's the same.  Seems to be.  This version is a smooth drink; it doesn't scald the throat or cause heartburn later.  It's enjoyable.  If they ever sell it in bottles, it'll be even better.  Nothing can replace a soft drink that's poured out of a glass bottle.

I totally agree, much smoother than the HFCS version. I have become addicted to the Pepsi version and I am a die hard Coke fan. I don't know what it is but wish they would keep it permanent.

Dennis in Cary 

DLnWPBrown
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Thu, 04/30/09 5:01 PM
After consuming anther Mountain Dew Throwback it has occurred to me what it reminds me off..... classic SunDrop.

Old SunDrop used to have some citrus that swirled around the bottom of the bottle/can and gave you a little bit of a kick on the after taste and that is what it reminds me of.

Dennis in Cary

rumaki
  • Total Posts : 967
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Thu, 04/30/09 6:48 PM
I'd be curious to try it.

My local grocery store had Kosher Pepsi during Passover, in cans, for the first time this year.  They've only had Kosher Coke in the past, which I always buy (I'm not Jewish; I just like my soft drinks with sugar, not HFCS).

We bought a six-pack of the Kosher Pepsi and tried it.  It was much better than "regular" Pepsi, but I still like Coke better.

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Fri, 05/1/09 8:45 PM
if they're doing a limited time "natural sugar", what the hell are they using now?

DLnWPBrown
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Fri, 05/1/09 8:55 PM
High fructose corn syrup... now you see why we $*%&# so much about sodas now.

Dennis in Cary

DLnWPBrown
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Fri, 05/1/09 10:44 PM
I've drank myself out on Pepsi Throwback..... taking a break and having some good cold water tonight.  

Dennis in Cary

Farmallcub
  • Total Posts : 55
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Sat, 05/2/09 1:18 AM
I tried a single today and liked it. Went to Wal Mart to get some more and had to ask for it. They only had five 12 packs of the Pepsi and 2 of the Mt Dew.  And did not know if they were going to get any more.

WhoopiePie
  • Total Posts : 14
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Sat, 05/2/09 4:23 PM
I bought two, 12-packs each of Pepsi & Mountain Dew Throwback because I knew that I'd like it.  I do like it...even more than I thought I would.  The taste is much cleaner.

Pepsi, Thank you for listening!  We told you that real sugar is what we wanted.  Now, just make the Throwbacks permanent.

emsmom
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Mon, 05/4/09 9:21 PM
I had the Mountain Dew today and it was great. Took me back abouy 30 years o9r more. Will tery bthe Pepsi next,

DLnWPBrown
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Wed, 05/6/09 9:27 PM
Well the Pepsi Throwback IS a short time only product...... I was at Food Lion and there were none to be found. the assistant manager checked me out and said they had recieved all they were going to get and to check the other stores in our area. 

I am on a mission tomorrow to find all I can. My wife actually encouraged me to so I will see what I can find. I may go out tonight but I am watching our Carolina Hurricanes play the Boston Bruins here in Raleigh. We may go to the next game but don't know for sure yet.

Dennis in Cary
Let's Go Canes!!!

ynotryme
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Wed, 05/6/09 10:32 PM
We stocked up 12 12packs. Albertson's had them on sale 3 for $8.88.

DLnWPBrown
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Thu, 05/7/09 7:43 PM
I had to go to 3 stores before I found any today. The first 2 were sold out and I got lucky at the third. I bought 8 cases for $34.00. I am thinking about going back tomorrow for more.

Dennis in Cary

dasl_4
  • Total Posts : 187
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Fri, 05/8/09 4:38 PM

Winn-Dixie here has the Pepsi Throwback 20 oz. bottles on clearance already .. .79 instead of 1.49 big sign saying PEPSI THROWBACK only

And they have plenty 8-pk cans of both Pepsi & Mountain Dew 4 for $10.00

russ2304
  • Total Posts : 261
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Fri, 05/8/09 6:38 PM
DLnWPBrown

I had to go to 3 stores before I found any today. The first 2 were sold out and I got lucky at the third. I bought 8 cases for $34.00. I am thinking about going back tomorrow for more.

Dennis in Cary

PEPSI THROWBACK

Hey Dennis and All-----------ck out this web site for some interesting factoids on Throwback-----what does it taste like?
Been drinkin' the diet stuff so long can't really recall taste of the real deal

Russ

BevReview.com

DLnWPBrown
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Sat, 05/9/09 5:04 PM
russ ,  good link. We have probably drank 5 12 packs since they came out and love it. I have got to go out at some point and buy more while I can.

Dennis in Cary

emsmom
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Sun, 05/10/09 11:41 AM
I had bought the Mt Dew and yesterday, in the grocery store check out line, they had Pepsi Throwback in the coolers. I started drinking mine as soon as the cashier scanned it while she finished with the rest of my groceries. Wondetrful! I had already got a cold orange crush in a bottle when we went to the greenhouse to get flowers for our Moms. Back to diet drinks today!

DLnWPBrown
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Sun, 05/10/09 9:42 PM
I like the Pepsi version better than Dew. The Dew still isn't quite what I remember them as, but the Pepsi is right on. 

Dennis in Cary

jecutter
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Sun, 05/10/09 11:07 PM
I gotta' tell ya' CK - I wasn't super-impressed with my Pepsi yesterday. I drank the whole thing between Jungle Jim's and BAC and I thought it left a weird after-taste. Of course, by that point in the day, my taste buds were all sorts of screwed!!!

BBurge
  • Total Posts : 29
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Tue, 05/12/09 9:36 AM
I am frankly surprised by all the positive responses for the Pepsi throwback.  I tried it at my mothers house on Sunday and was thoroughly unimpressed.  Tasted almost like a diet soda to me.  Both my sister and mother both had similar opinions.  Will have to look for the Mountain Dew when i head over to the store later.

tarragon
  • Total Posts : 354
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Tue, 05/12/09 12:03 PM
After looking high and low, I finally found the Pepsi Throwback at my local Safeway. Boy, I gotta tell you all, it is some good tasting stuff, at least to me!  Mind you I have been trying to steer clear of caffeinated sodas for quite some time now, usually with pretty good rate of success--the Pepsi Throwback could definitely throw a monkey wrench into that plan! LOL I'll try another bottle or two, I think. And then pray that they'll decide to NOT market it further. Because I'd be out there guzzling it down!!

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Tue, 05/12/09 12:52 PM
I'm finding it everywhere now and am drinking two a day. I usually just have a glass of tea in the morning and pretty much water the rest of the day....I too will stock up.  Haven't tried the "Dew".

improviser
  • Total Posts : 865
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Tue, 05/12/09 5:55 PM
I tried some Pepsi Throwback over the weekend. I really liked it. If I can ever wean myself off Dr. Pepper, I might switch to this. I do need to cut back on the amount of HFCS I consume, and this might help me do that.

jecutter
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Tue, 05/12/09 7:07 PM

If you like the Pepsi Throwback and are  Dr. Pepper-aholic like me, you should try the Dr. Pepper that's mde with sugar.... there is still a bottler in Texas that makes it with sugar.

improviser
  • Total Posts : 865
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Wed, 05/13/09 9:31 AM
Dublin Dr. Pepper? I've heard great things about that. I need to track down some bottles.

DLnWPBrown
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Wed, 05/13/09 4:43 PM
I like Dr. Pepper but after reading what the 23 flavors that are in it... maybe... I've lost my taste for it. I remember them mentioning clove, cinnamon, cherry, amaretto, plum, and tomato, it is harder for me to drink it. Everytime I drink some I realize that taste I get is amaretto.

Oh well, I have 7 cases of Pepsi Throwback left and plan to enjoy them.

Dennis in Cary

jecutter
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Wed, 05/13/09 9:13 PM
improviser

Dublin Dr. Pepper? I've heard great things about that. I need to track down some bottles.

Yeah - Dublin.... that's the name of it -- I'm lucky enough that we have a store here in town that carries it.

You can order it online and have it shipped right to your house! Just go to www.dublindrpepper.com and select the "Buy it at Old Docs Soda Shop" link on the left side of the page. It's not cheap - something like $15.00 for a case of 8oz. bottles if I remember correctly.

myterry2
  • Total Posts : 526
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Wed, 05/13/09 9:39 PM
The Dew is terrible...and the Pepsi is just alright.

myterry2
  • Total Posts : 526
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Wed, 05/13/09 9:41 PM
If you were not impressed with the Pepsi...just buy 1 bottle of the Dew...it's not very good.

DLnWPBrown
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Wed, 05/13/09 10:03 PM
The Dew is NOT what it used to be, it's just not as harsh on the backend aftertaste. I still have my Pepsi to enjoy.

Dennis in Cary

pocohantes
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Sat, 05/16/09 9:25 PM
 where did you find it?

Doomo
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Mon, 05/25/09 12:04 PM
Lets be honest here... It is still Pepsi... It tastes like Pepsi... Worthless... Coke... And Kosher Coke... Made with real sugar... Yummmm... Mexican Coke... The same... Yummmm.

rumaki
  • Total Posts : 967
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Mon, 05/25/09 12:40 PM
I strongly prefer Coke, but as a Northwest Airlines frequent flyer, I've had to get used to Pepsi.

We found Pepsi Throwback at the Kroger in Harrodsburg, KY while we were on vacation there this past week.  (There's a Pepsi bottling plant in town, so we were pretty confident that they'd have it.)

As I said, I'm not a Pepsi fan, but the Throwback version takes me back to the Pepsi I drank in childhood -- the kind that came in glass bottles.  For Pepsi, it is as good as it gets.

DLnWPBrown
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Tue, 05/26/09 10:00 PM
I have a little less than 4 cases of Throwback left and I need to hide it as Wendy has been drinking it up lately. 

Dennis in Cary

DLnWPBrown
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Sun, 06/28/09 7:26 PM
Well, Pepsi Throwback had run it's course here in Cary.... until today. I was in Harris Teeter today and they had Pepsi 12 packs, buy 2, get 3 free. So after loading up my cart I looked over and there were 4 Pepsi Throwback packs sitting there. So after swapping them out I ran across the endcap and there were 6 more 12 packs.... the sign said a limit of 10 12 packs..... any idea how many I walked out with. I asked and was told that was the last 10 in the store. I checked the expiration dates and they are 2-10 where my earlier ones were 10-09, so I am guessing they got a second delivery of them.

Needless to say I got the last Pepsi Throwbacks in Cary NC as I searched every store in town and now I am a happy camper. I found these by luck, go figure.

Dennis in Cary

starfire62
  • Total Posts : 220
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Fri, 07/3/09 10:31 PM
got lucky today!!  ran into wal mart for some oil for the lawn mower and had throwback  on sale for $1.99 grabbed the last 15 of them.they expire in 2010 i know they wont last that long.
<message edited by starfire62 on Fri, 07/3/09 10:46 PM>

beijinger
  • Total Posts : 180
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Fri, 07/3/09 11:16 PM
Hey im working in China here they use real sugar.  Pepsi did come out special bottle style raised price abit (all a guimick). I Do have one ? Does anyone out there prefer the high fruitose. It's funny cause i find pepsi (high fruitose) tasted better in US then it does in China (real sugar) but Coca-cola (real sugar) China so much better then US (high fruitose) version. We do have the 8 ounce glass bottles to boot they sell from 15 cents to 22 cents each but must me consumed on premise .

bigd
  • Total Posts : 46
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Tue, 07/7/09 1:28 PM
Pepsi totally messed up the Mt. Dew throwback. This formulation isn't close to the original Mt. Dew wehich I  first drank in the early sixties out of the bottle during the test market phase. Pepsi should be ashamed of itself. As usual, the greed of corporate America rides again. Pepsi didn't want to spend the money to put in all the original ingredients and levels levels ( e.g, not enough sugar) to the original standard. The TB Pepsi is a bit better but still not enough sugar!!

Thanls for nothing Pepsi!

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15059
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Wed, 07/8/09 10:37 AM
I saw the Pepsi Throwback at Costco last week. $8 plus for a 12 pack.  I passed it by.  We will be in Wisconsin in a couple of weeks and I will stock up on Sprechers Cherry Cola, My Favorite Soda !

bartl
  • Total Posts : 1208
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Wed, 07/8/09 11:18 AM
I am REALLY surprised that nobody here has noted the strong cinnamon (cassia?) topnote present in Pepsi Throwback. Am I alone, or has anybody else noticed this?

ynotryme
Re:Pepsi-Cola Throwback - Wed, 07/8/09 12:13 PM
I talked to the Pepsi distibutor from the Dallas bottling company yesterday. He said they were out of Throwback and at this time there wasn't any plan to make more. He also said they were surprised at how fast it went as they made a 3 month supply. Maybe, when Pepsi sees how popular it was they will bring it back.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 61