That is NOT a Martini

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 67
ChrisOC
  • Total Posts : 901
  • Reward points : 0
That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 04/29/09 8:33 AM
One of my favorite cocktails is a nice, dry, cold Martini.  A Martini is made with GIN and vermouth, or vodka and vermouth.   There is never any apple, chocolate or anything else in the mix.  Just putting a drink in a martini glass does not make it a martini.

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1056
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 04/29/09 9:20 AM
Hear hear!!!

GNeedles59
  • Total Posts : 594
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 04/29/09 9:25 AM
While I agree that the whole "appletini, chocotini, bacontini" thing has gone a bit overboard.  Unless they are messing up your orders and giving you the wrong drink, does it really matter?

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3090
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 04/29/09 9:36 AM
Amen!
I don't even consider vodka proper.

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 04/29/09 10:14 AM

Blueberry Martini Recipe

Ingredients My Bar 2 oz Triple Sec 2 oz Blueberry Vodka 1 dash Sprite 2 oz Blueberry juice
Directions
Combine the Smirnoff blueberry vodka, triple sec and blueberry juice in a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice cubes. Shake well and strain into a cocktail glass. Top with Sprite, garnish with fresh blueberries, and serve.
This is my favorite....Russ

LMAO

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 04/29/09 10:17 AM

Martini Dogs

Approximately 30 large pimiento-stuffed olives
3 hot dogs
1 3-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
1 or 2 drops of Tabasco
Cut olives in half lengthwise. Remove the pimiento stuffing and put intoa mixing bowl. Add hot dogs.
Chop hot dogs and pimiento until coarse.
Add cream cheese to the dogs and pimiento and mix. Add Tabasco. Stiruntil combined.
Fill olive halves with mixture and fasten with cocktail picks.
Chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.
Makes 6 servings.

...Russ

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 04/29/09 10:31 AM
So, don't order one.  I don't think the people ordering the drinks think they are drinking anything similar to a real martini. I've never heard anyone arguing that. Are you upset the a martini glass now symbolizes a girly drink?

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 04/29/09 10:50 AM
ChrisOC, we've lost that fight.  I've been complaining about it for decades, but it's over.  They won. 

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1787
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 04/29/09 11:21 AM
I agree Chris.  I'm a rare martini drinker, but when I do, I like a straight up gin martini.  Vodka will do, but I prefer the more flavorful gin.  I'll even accept a "dirty martini".(Love olives)  If you're going to start crazy flavoring it up, just cut to the chase and call it a fruit cocktail of some sort.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17826
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 04/29/09 11:51 AM

When I drink a Martini I like it more arid than a desert, and to achieve that I make certain it is made at least two whole rooms away from the nearest vermouth. Mine is always made with gin, as anything with vodka is not a Martini. I want at least three olives on a toothpick in the glass because I might have to leave, and I never drink and drive on an empty stomach.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 04/29/09 12:45 PM
this is a silly topic. Things get names. If it's called an Apple Martini, then that is its name. The word Martini has become synonymous with cocktails in a martini glass, in order to sell the drinks, and make them look refined by putting the drink in a martini glass. If they used a hurricane glass, it probably would've been called an Apple Hurricane. But, let's face it, the hurricane glass lacks the sophistication of a martini glass. So there it is. Time to move on.

If you simply order a martini, then I sure hope you do get a martini...I prefer mine to be exactly as the one that Michael Hoffman describes.

However, my wife, enjoys a Chocolate Martini on some occasions (although she prefers a cosmopolitan). And, dear lord, it better not have gin nor olives in it.

DLnWPBrown
  • Total Posts : 832
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Fri, 05/1/09 8:50 PM
Scorereader I couldn't say it any better myself. My wife likes apple 'tinis so I make them for her. Sometimes I make strawberry 'tinis as well. It's all up to you.

Dennis in Cary

ellen4641
  • Total Posts : 3531
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Fri, 05/1/09 10:09 PM
ChrisOC

One of my favorite cocktails is a nice, dry, cold Martini.  A Martini is made with GIN and vermouth, or vodka and vermouth.   There is never any apple, chocolate or anything else in the mix.  Just putting a drink in a martini glass does not make it a martini.

Hey, Chris , have you ever been to "Simply Fondue" yet ?!?
It's in the AC area, on the Black Horse Pike (Rt. 40) in Egg Harbor Township...

They have tons and tons of "martini's" available....
last time I had the "candy jar"....
before that I had the "almond joy"....(it had a great chocolate coconut rim)
next time I'm trying the choc. peanut butter "martini"..

My bf loves a straight up vodka martini in a freezer cold glass..  ...he hates olives, though...
once in awhile, he'll order a chocolate martini, though...
We have plenty of "martini nights" at his place...

He did mention that those "martini's" at the Simply Fondue were really more like "specialty cocktails"...
I said "whatever they are, they sure taste good!"

DLnWPBrown
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Fri, 05/1/09 10:13 PM
ellen we are always coming up with new martinis here at home. I'll think up something and try it out on my wife.

Dennis in Cary

ellen4641
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Fri, 05/1/09 10:53 PM
DLnWPBrown

ellen we are always coming up with new martinis here at home. I'll think up something and try it out on my wife.

Dennis in Cary

that's neat, Dennis...
while we are at home, the bf pours us straight chilled vodka; it feels real chummy cause we always share the martini glass...(he says this way the glass stays real cold) .........and he keeps a spare frosted glass in the freezer, so we switch off...

he turned me onto the "vodka straight up" martini.... it's some strong stuff,  "strong but good"...

rebeltruce
  • Total Posts : 698
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Mon, 05/4/09 6:19 AM
I love a straight up Vodka martini, I do need at least three olives and just a tiny bit of the olive juice...has to be ICE cold.

Oh yeah the olives must be on a tooth pick, I don't like them swimming around on their own.....

sunnyside up
  • Total Posts : 126
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Mon, 05/4/09 7:52 AM
DLnWPBrown

Dennis in Cary

Hmmm?  If there had been an arsenic martini it might have saved me 4 divorces!

hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1070
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Mon, 05/4/09 8:10 AM
Michael Hoffman

When I drink a Martini I like it more arid than a desert, and to achieve that I make certain it is made at least two whole rooms away from the nearest vermouth. Mine is always made with gin, as anything with vodka is not a Martini. I want at least three olives on a toothpick in the glass because I might have to leave, and I never drink and drive on an empty stomach.

Exactly how I like them.  Last year on a cruise in the Martini bar, I told the bartender I wanted an extra dry martini, he took the vermouth bottle and showed it to the shaker and then put it back.  Perfect!

edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2015
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Mon, 05/4/09 8:43 AM
Michael Hoffman

I can agree with this! But question, is it still a Martini without the vermouth or just "gin straight up"?     My solution has always been pour the vermouth in the glass, swish around. Then turn the glass upside down on the counter while walking the vermouth 2 rooms away. Next finish making the Martini with good gin (Beefeaters) and 3 or 4 olives.  If less than good gin is used, add small (very) amount of olive juice.   ..............

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Mon, 05/4/09 6:25 PM
Although I have no problem with people who eschew Vermouth in their cocktails, they should not call it a Martini. I, on many occasions, have enjoyed a drink of straight Gin shaken or stirred with lots of ice - but, let's face it, it is merely a drink of straight Gin - not a Martini. 

A MARTINI, BY DEFINITION, IS A COCKTAIL MADE OF GIN AND VERMOUTH - THAT IS, LONDON DRY GIN AND DRY VERMOUTH. 
ADDITION OF AN OLIVE IS OPTIONAL - A PICKLED ONION MAKES IT A GIBSON.

Cheers, John  

Michael Hoffman
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Mon, 05/4/09 6:29 PM
edwmax

Michael Hoffman

I can agree with this! But question, is it still a Martini without the vermouth or just "gin straight up"?     My solution has always been pour the vermouth in the glass, swish around. Then turn the glass upside down on the counter while walking the vermouth 2 rooms away. Next finish making the Martini with good gin (Beefeaters) and 3 or 4 olives.  If less than good gin is used, add small (very) amount of olive juice.   ..............

It has vermouth -- the essence of same. Despite the vermouth being at least two rooms away at the time the martini is made, there is still the essence.

DLnWPBrown
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Mon, 05/4/09 7:19 PM
sunnyside up

DLnWPBrown

Dennis in Cary

I've only been married once and we have been together over 9 years now. We have our moments, but wouldn't want them with anyone else. 

Dennis in Cary 

edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2015
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Mon, 05/4/09 9:00 PM
Michael Hoffman

edwmax

Michael Hoffman

It has vermouth -- the essence of same. Despite the vermouth being at least two rooms away at the time the martini is made, there is still the essence.

True, but not very darn much! Only what dried on the side of the glass.

Michael Hoffman
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Mon, 05/4/09 9:01 PM
edwmax

Michael Hoffman

edwmax

Michael Hoffman

True, but not very darn much! Only what dried on the side of the glass.

No, no. If it actually touched the glass it's not drinkable.
<message edited by Michael Hoffman on Mon, 05/4/09 9:03 PM>

plb
  • Total Posts : 1020
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Mon, 05/4/09 9:33 PM
seafarer john

Although I have no problem with people who eschew Vermouth in their cocktails, they should not call it a Martini. I, on many occasions, have enjoyed a drink of straight Gin shaken or stirred with lots of ice - but, let's face it, it is merely a drink of straight Gin - not a Martini. 

A MARTINI, BY DEFINITION, IS A COCKTAIL MADE OF GIN AND VERMOUTH - THAT IS, LONDON DRY GIN AND DRY VERMOUTH. 

Cheers, John

Didn't we beat this subject to death a couple of years ago.  Didn't we agree that a drink with Vodka was a "Stalinini."
And that a Martini was gin and vermouth. 

WarToad
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Tue, 05/5/09 8:27 AM
I guess my problem is - by using a certain name, there come certain expectations of what it is.

If I order BBQ, I know theres a fair amount of variation in what I may get, but I expect it to have been low and slow cooked, smoked, and some type of rub or sauce. 

If I order apple pie, I know theres a certain amount of variation in what I may get, but I expect there will be apples in it, and hopefully a flaky crust.

If I order a "martini", I know theres a certain amount of variation in what I may get, but I expect it's based in gin or vodka, and vermouth.  That's the expectation. 

But then comes along Russ's Blueberry Martini which for all practical purposes has no resemblance at all to the flavor expectations of a martini.  I may as well pair it up with some ribs I gave a 15 minute grilling to and squirted with ketchup and call that BBQ.  Put a anchovie fillet on some Uncle Ben's minute rice and call it sushi.

My name is WarToad, that's my rant, and I'm passing the soapbox to the next contestant.

seafarer john
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Tue, 05/5/09 9:20 AM
Our friend Scorereader appears to come from the Lewis Carroll school of philosophy where words mean exactly what one wants them to mean at any given moment. Black can be white, Moon can be Sun, the name of a cocktail can depend on the shape of the container in which it is served. 

While I prefer a Martini served in a "Martini glass" I can enjoy them just as well out of a Mason jar or a teacup as necessity calls. The essence of the famous old cocktail called "Martini" is that it is made of Gin and Vermouth, cooled in ice, and drunk cold.

Why is it that the purveyors of all those concoctions (some of them tasty and tasteful, I'm sure) falsely named, something -or- other martini, have such a poverty of creativity when it comes to giving a name to their precious little bastards?

Cheers, John  
<message edited by seafarer john on Tue, 05/5/09 9:23 AM>

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7599
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Tue, 05/5/09 10:06 AM

Michael Hoffman

Michael, don't you realize that with those 3 olives you are using up space that could be occupied by more gin?

Scorereader
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Tue, 05/5/09 5:28 PM
seafarer john

Our friend Scorereader appears to come from the Lewis Carroll school of philosophy where words mean exactly what one wants them to mean at any given moment. Black can be white, Moon can be Sun, the name of a cocktail can depend on the shape of the container in which it is served. 

While I prefer a Martini served in a "Martini glass" I can enjoy them just as well out of a Mason jar or a teacup as necessity calls. The essence of the famous old cocktail called "Martini" is that it is made of Gin and Vermouth, cooled in ice, and drunk cold.

Why is it that the purveyors of all those concoctions (some of them tasty and tasteful, I'm sure) falsely named, something -or- other martini, have such a poverty of creativity when it comes to giving a name to their precious little bastards?

Cheers, John

to trivialize my comments does not make them any less true.

Marketing is main reason for the the explosion of the cocktails with "martini" in the name. A Martini bar will go out of business if it sells but one drink, John. But, if it sells a multitude of martinis that appeal to a large audience, well, then, they'll do much better. And bastards can be named after their father, even if they are, a) nothing like their father, and b) don't know or care who is their father.

If there's more than one recipe that is chili, then can be more than one type of martini. This isn't calling black, white, this is giving an easily marketed name to a product for sale that has roots with the original - if only for the glass.

just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it isn't true.

although, I think you may simply be teasing me, so I warn you to not sneeze again.

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Tue, 05/5/09 5:44 PM
Very eloquent.

seafarer john
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Tue, 05/5/09 5:52 PM
AhChoo!!!

Cheers, John 

sunnyside up
  • Total Posts : 126
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Tue, 05/5/09 6:35 PM
DLnWPBrown

sunnyside up

DLnWPBrown

Dennis in Cary

I've only been married once and we have been together over 9 years now. We have our moments, but wouldn't want them with anyone else. 

Dennis in Cary

Dennis, I made the comment about arsenic martini's in jest. Truth is, I have been married to the same lovely lady for 44 years come August. But I do keep her on her toes by introducing her to new friends as "My First Wife".

DLnWPBrown
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Tue, 05/5/09 8:56 PM
sunnyside up

DLnWPBrown

sunnyside up

DLnWPBrown

Dennis in Cary

Dennis in Cary

Dennis, I made the comment about arsenic martini's in jest. Truth is, I have been married to the same lovely lady for 44 years come August. But I do keep her on her toes by introducing her to new friends as "My First Wife".

No offence taken Sunny, I just know how it is. I love her... and experiment on her with alcohol though...LOL . I do keep a fully stocked bar in my house but I don't have any gin. Never liked it.

And Michael, if your idea of a martini is gin only with maybe an olive... wouldn't that be considered a "gin neat"?

Dennis in Cary

seafarer john
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 05/6/09 10:23 AM
Our friend informs us that a Martini bar will go out of business if it serves only one drink (a real Martini - I guess). 

Would that they would go out of business and we could recapture the ambiance of the old saloon with a man behind the bar who could draw a proper beer, mix up a proper cocktail, politely seat the ladies at a table in the other room, and carry on an intelligent conversation with the gentlemen along the bar.

Cheers, john 

WarToad
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 05/6/09 11:01 AM
John, I think you forgot that the gentlemen involved would be wearing full three piece wool suits in summer, top hats included.

Michael Hoffman
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 05/6/09 11:23 AM
plb

seafarer john

Cheers, John

Didn't we beat this subject to death a couple of years ago.  Didn't we agree that a drink with Vodka was a "Stalinini."
And that a Martini was gin and vermouth. 

We did, indeed agree that made with vodka it's a Stalini. I wish I could remember who got that Melchior of Vodka for winning the name contest. I wonder if it could have been Sushi Girl.

Michael Hoffman
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 05/6/09 11:25 AM
mar52

Michael Hoffman

Michael, don't you realize that with those 3 olives you are using up space that could be occupied by more gin?

One must make sacrifices, and the need for sustenance is undeniable.

Michael Hoffman
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 05/6/09 11:27 AM
DLnWPBrown

sunnyside up

DLnWPBrown

sunnyside up

DLnWPBrown

Dennis in Cary

Dennis in Cary

No offence taken Sunny, I just know how it is. I love her... and experiment on her with alcohol though...LOL . I do keep a fully stocked bar in my house but I don't have any gin. Never liked it.

And Michael, if your idea of a martini is gin only with maybe an olive... wouldn't that be considered a "gin neat"?

Dennis in Cary

I do not believe so. A neat gin would be a shot glass with gin and nothing else, including ice.

the grillman
  • Total Posts : 624
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 05/6/09 12:08 PM
When in the mood, I have a very dry vodka martini, shaken, not stirred.  Lemon peel is best.  It should be served ice cold.

If olives are around, there should be a couple jumbo ones, on the toothpick, please.

Chocolatini, and appletini are just perversions of a good idea gone bad.

Scorereader
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 05/6/09 12:36 PM
seafarer john

Our friend informs us that a Martini bar will go out of business if it serves only one drink (a real Martini - I guess). 

Would that they would go out of business and we could recapture the ambiance of the old saloon with a man behind the bar who could draw a proper beer, mix up a proper cocktail, politely seat the ladies at a table in the other room, and carry on an intelligent conversation with the gentlemen along the bar.

Cheers, john

come to my lab on Saturday, John, I'll have just finished waxing my time machine, so you can take her out for a spin.

Oh, PS: I saw the sneeze, and the Dutchess is looking for you. :o)

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9552
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 05/6/09 1:45 PM
DLnWPBrown

sunnyside up

DLnWPBrown

sunnyside up

DLnWPBrown

Dennis in Cary

Dennis in Cary

Dennis in Cary

Dennis:
If you don't have any Gin in your bar----I'm Sorry, but you don't have a "Fully Stocked Bar". Gin is one of the Basic Food Groups of a Bar along with Scotch, Bourbon, Vodka, Whiskey (Blended or Straight) & Tequila!!

DLnWPBrown
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Wed, 05/6/09 9:38 PM
Foodbme none of our friends drink gin, nor do my wife and I so we just don't have it. I do have everythihg else you mentioned including a small bottle of Patrone Silver.

Dennis in Cary

ellen4641
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Thu, 05/7/09 1:02 AM
seafarer john

we could recapture the ambiance of the old saloon with a man behind the bar who could draw a proper beer, and carry on an intelligent conversation with the gentlemen along the bar.

Cheers, john

What's "intelligent conversation" these days, amongst you gentlemen?
Maybe I'm hanging out in the wrong spots, but most bar and poker room conversations tend to be about how the Phillies are doing, stuff like that...

and now that the stock market is rebounding a bit, there are a few stock tips thrown in , here and there...

Foodbme
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Thu, 05/7/09 1:15 AM
ellen4641

seafarer john

we could recapture the ambiance of the old saloon with a man behind the bar who could draw a proper beer, and carry on an intelligent conversation with the gentlemen along the bar.

Cheers, john

Today's "Intelligent Conversation" among Gentlemen in a bar consists of trying to determine if the good looking Chick in the red dress Boobs are real or plastic!   

Scorereader
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Thu, 05/7/09 10:26 AM
Foodbme

ellen4641

seafarer john

Cheers, john

Today's "Intelligent Conversation" among Gentlemen in a bar consists of trying to determine if the good looking Chick in the red dress Boobs are real or plastic!   

I don't know about that. Women may discuss this, but gentlemen don't talk about that, because we don't care either way.  
<message edited by Scorereader on Thu, 05/7/09 10:35 AM>

seafarer john
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Thu, 05/7/09 11:08 AM
It is that chic with the oversized boobs, barely contained in her red dress and ostentatiously hanging them over the bar  who destroys any possibility of intelligent conversation around the bar. 

Simple minded fools that we are, the male animal is rendered mindless, clueless and speechless when confronted with such a sight, and he is unlikely to speculate on their provenance - trusting  instead that they are what he wishes them to be.

Please be assured, Ellen and Foodbme, that any of us would be happy to share a drink and good company at that "table in the other room"...

Cheers, John 

WarToad
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Thu, 05/7/09 12:29 PM
I approve of the direction of this thread.

Michael Hoffman
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Thu, 05/7/09 12:51 PM
WarToad

I approve of the direction of this thread.

Because I agree with you, someone will likely call it inapporpriate.

Scorereader
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Thu, 05/7/09 12:56 PM
seafarer john

when confronted with such a sight,... he is unlikely to speculate on their provenance - trusting  instead that they are what he wishes them to be.

Cheers, John

Foodbme
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Thu, 05/7/09 2:20 PM
seafarer john

Simple minded fools that we are, the male animal is rendered mindless, clueless and speechless when confronted with such a sight, and he is unlikely to speculate on their provenance - trusting  instead that they are what he wishes them to be.
Cheers, John

There is serious $2.65 Million Dollar Government funded research project underway as we speak to determine the actual physical location of a Man's Brain!!!

seafarer john
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Thu, 05/7/09 9:43 PM
One of my favorite human beings, a pretty good President, and a Roadfooder at heart, Bill Clinton put the question of the  location of the male brain to rest about 12 years ago - and some witnesses alleged that he even put a bit of a twist on it...

Cheers, john  

DLnWPBrown
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Fri, 05/8/09 3:28 PM
So a martini is nothing but a gin neat in a fancy glass. Ok, cool.  We then have Stalini's at my house and not martinis even though I have "martini" glass in the cabinet though.

Dennis in Cary
<message edited by DLnWPBrown on Mon, 05/11/09 8:34 PM>

DLnWPBrown
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Mon, 05/11/09 8:35 PM
By the way, had a nice "Stalintini"  this evening after less than good news.

Dennis in Cary

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Mon, 05/11/09 8:59 PM
My parents had martinis on occasion-always with gin and vermouth.( Mom loved them, Dad prefered scotch)Anyway, I loved the olives that they let soak in the drink( especially anchovy stuffed)My personal experience was when I was 20-went out for a "3 martini" lunch.( drinking age was 18 back then)Lord-I couldnt go to work later that day.I dont care what a martini is called or made of these days-just the thought makes my head spin!!!!

plb
  • Total Posts : 1020
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Mon, 05/11/09 9:23 PM
I always thought that vodka "martinis" were an abonamation.  But I've been reading the original James Bond novels, and he frequently orders them.  If its good enough for James Bond its good enough for me.

DLnWPBrown
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Mon, 05/11/09 9:55 PM
As I mentioned to annpeeples earlier, I had a nice strawberry martini made with fresh strawberries from the local farmer's market..... delightful as I get...... well you know the rest.  

Dennis in Cary

Vince Macek
  • Total Posts : 855
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Mon, 05/11/09 11:02 PM
plb

I always thought that vodka "martinis" were an abonamation.  But I've been reading the original James Bond novels, and he frequently orders them.  If its good enough for James Bond its good enough for me.

I can't imagine 007 drinking anything called a 'Stalini' though - that's as bad as 'SMERSHini'!

I'm afraid I had my fill of gin keeping up with martini-drinking friends who were the Nick and Nora Charles of their generation. I swear my skin smelled like juniper for days...

seafarer john
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Tue, 05/12/09 1:36 PM
James Bond is a character imbued with pompous bad taste. gross appetites, sexism, snobbishness, and childish ideals.

Cheers, john 

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Tue, 05/12/09 2:02 PM
I like vodka martinis, shaken, not stirred, though it is impossible to order such without feeling a fool unless you are Sean Connery, Roger Moore or Pierce Brosnan. A local place, The Acadia, serves a martini with pomegrante juice that i enjoy, whether or not it is really a martini. And seafarer, there is a school of philosophy called the Humpty Dumpty School, which posits that words do mean what we want them to mean
<message edited by mr chips on Tue, 05/12/09 7:08 PM>

Scorereader
Re:That is NOT a Martini - Tue, 05/12/09 2:16 PM
seafarer john

James Bond is a character imbued with pompous bad taste. gross appetites, sexism, snobbishness, and childish ideals.

Cheers, john

I always wondered what I liked about Bond...now I know!

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 67