New Prime Cuts Coming Your Way

Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
  • Reward points : 0
New Prime Cuts Coming Your Way - Wed, 04/29/09 6:37 PM
New Prime Cuts Coming Your Way

According to the NY Times you will soon have many more "prime cuts" to choose from. Supermarkets and some restaurants are embracing the idea. Deceptive names and inferior cuts created by food scientists let loose with a knife have discovered these new steaks after years of research.

Anyway, here is the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/29/dining/29beef.html?_r=1&hpw

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4895
Re:New Prime Cuts Coming Your Way - Wed, 04/29/09 6:47 PM
Bummer! I guess my favorite "flat iron" steaks will take a jump in price now.

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3090
Re:New Prime Cuts Coming Your Way - Wed, 04/29/09 9:40 PM
Our local El Rey supermarket chain this week is offering a beef chuck roll and also boneless pork  cushion meat neither of which I've ever heard of before.

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:New Prime Cuts Coming Your Way - Fri, 05/1/09 8:23 PM
let me coin a new phrase "niche steaks"
whatever that might mean, but you heard it first here folks.

brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
Re:New Prime Cuts Coming Your Way - Fri, 05/1/09 10:47 PM

I miss the old stand by 7 bone chuck steak.  I used to stocknthe freezre with them.  Cooked rare it was a good steak on its own as well as great for stir frys etc.  On the 7 bone, if you knew what to look for you would get the 1st cut of the delmonico.  Trimmed out it looked like a great rib eye.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:New Prime Cuts Coming Your Way - Sat, 05/2/09 9:39 AM
What i miss are bone-in sirloins.I asked my local butcher and they are simply not available anymore.

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
Re:New Prime Cuts Coming Your Way - Sat, 05/2/09 9:49 AM

I agree we used to argue about whose turn it was to knaw on the bone. After the human got it, it then went to the dog.  We have only one market that has a "real" butcher.  I'm going to inquire.

RibDog
  • Total Posts : 593
Re:New Prime Cuts Coming Your Way - Sat, 05/2/09 10:33 AM
MilwFoodlovers

Our local El Rey supermarket chain this week is offering a beef chuck roll and also boneless pork  cushion meat neither of which I've ever heard of before.

A chuck roll is just a larger primal cut.  I cook these quite often in my smoker and made shredded beef out of it.  It is excellent!  And inexpensive too.

John

RibDog
  • Total Posts : 593
Re:New Prime Cuts Coming Your Way - Sat, 05/2/09 10:34 AM
annpeeples

What i miss are bone-in sirloins.I asked my local butcher and they are simply not available anymore.

I agree with you, Ann.  When we had steak in our house when I was a kid, it would be a bone-in sirloin.  And we would fight to see who would get the bone.

John

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4895
Re:New Prime Cuts Coming Your Way - Sat, 05/2/09 10:39 AM
brittneal

I miss the old stand by 7 bone chuck steak.  I used to stocknthe freezre with them.  Cooked rare it was a good steak on its own as well as great for stir frys etc.  On the 7 bone, if you knew what to look for you would get the 1st cut of the delmonico.  Trimmed out it looked like a great rib eye.

The 7 bone chuck was the best cut for long braising. Can't seem to find it anywhere nowadays. 

brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
Re:New Prime Cuts Coming Your Way - Sat, 05/2/09 12:55 PM
Thats because the 7 bone is a shoulder cross cut.  To break the chuk down to these designer cuts, that whole section is trimmed out.  I miss that diaganol bone in the sirloin as well.  That was the only sirloin steak I ever knew of until I ordered a top sirloin or NY at a rest.
The old hickory used to sell a giant sirloin.  It was 22 oz. with the diaganol bone.  They had to fold it over to fit the platter.  It was $9.95 when I got my first in 88, the last time I had one was 92 for 13 bux